Ingleside Retirement Apartments - Wilmington, DE

Enjoyable community!!

This community seems to be a perfect fit for my aunt. The staff have been wonderful and have made sure to accommodate her needs as best as they can. They have an activity center where all of the residents can go and enjoy some fun games together as well as other great amenities. I also like the fact that they take them out a few times a week to do all of there shopping and any other errands they may have to do for the week.

My Dad Enjoys The Community

My dad is doing well and it has been very good so far. He likes the activities available and has gone on some outings like the beach and seems to like it. He also plays bridge with a group once a week. My dad is fine with the meals given and he likes sitting with different people at meal time. The facility is clean and also seems to be fine. I also appreciate the help we got from A Place For Mom.

Not what we were looking for

We toured this community while looking into senior living options for a loved one. This is a nice option for a more budget conscious facility. The eating area was very nice and the theater was lovely. The rooms were decent but a lot of the bathrooms weren’t converted into an easier walk in shower which would be a safety concern and an added expense to have to convert. Staff seemed nice and the overall location was nice as well.

Nice Location

They had a problem with the generator and handled it very well. Very nice location.

very helpful

The lady that helped us was very helpful. Ingleside Retirement Apartments seems like a very nice place, well kept, great staff, and all the residents seem very happy there.

I entered Ingleside in Oct of 2014 with the understanding that this was an independent living environment. Much to my surprise, it is not. It is an assisted living environment under the guise of independent living. The majority of the residents are quite dependent, many wheelchair bound, some with rather serious dementia and many relying on walkers, nurses aides, physical therapy, and those requiring oxygen etc. The catch-22 is that it is termed independent living and one must state they are independent to be admitted to this facility. There must be a broad spectrum of definitions considered under the term independent. How can a facility be independent but require residents to sign in and out and require their guests to sign in and out? How can a facility be independent when people (employees) enter your room without even an hour's notice when not an emergency. I must be missing something. I have tried to obtain answers from the administration but none have been forthcoming. There is a huge bed bug problem, which is being attended to with the uprooting of residents to no planned area for 5-8 hours. Many of these people are wheelchair bound. Some have been placed in one of the rooms used to "show" people who may be looking to live here. In other words, sample rooms.
This de-bugging is to go on for months. It is a trial program, thus no guarantee that the building will be bug free after living through the treatment, which involves the use of five separate chemicals. We as residents, are also required to purchase $60 bed covers. If we do not, we were told we would have to pay for our room to be de-bugged from our own money. Ingleside is subsidized by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), who must be unaware of what is happening with their subsidized funds. I could continue, however, I think I have given you who may be considering living here, food for thought.Please ask MANY questions before you make your decision, insist on seeing an occupied room (if possible), ask to have a meal during the week or a Sat or Sun dinner, then ask more questions and look around at what seems normal and what does not. People should not be sleeping in the chairs in the common area or avoiding their rooms for some unknown reason. You have no kitchen area-nothing, however, are allowed to own a small refrigerator and microwave. There is no area to prepare any food and no water available except from the bathroom sink or bathtub.
On the positive side, at least 30% of the employees are kind and helpful. My words of advice are, ask many questions, read everything prior to signing and look before your leap.
Sincerely

My Stay at Ingleside

I've lived at Ingleside Retirement Apartments since Nov 2014 and I have found it to be a very pleasant enviornment to live in.
The other residents are pleasant and socialable, and I have found them to be very friendly.
The employees are very helpful, pleasant and seem to enjoy their jobs.
One drawback is that due to illness of the driver, transportation has been temporarily discontinued.

A good value

For the cost it’s a pretty good service. Parking - on a scale of one to five would be about a two. My loved one seems to really like the food. It could be a bit cleaner of a community. The staff is okay though.