Forwood Manor - Wilmington, DE

Forwood Manor sits on 13 beautifully manicured acres and is located just minutes from I-95. Close to shopping and cultural sites, we offer a full-service rental retirement community with the best social and transportation programs, along with well-designed and spacious apartments. We invite you to visit our community to experience the Forwood Manor lifestyle firsthand.

Forwood Manor new resident move in reviewed by his son.

All of the people at the facility are great. In general, my dad's "independent living" apartment on move-in day appeared good, freshly painted and maybe new carpet installed. I did find a couple of "big" things that needed immediate attention due to safety concerns. First, one of the hand rails in the shower/bathtub was actually very loose and the doors into and in the bathroom would significantly stick when closed (my dad almost fell over trying to open the linen closet on move-in day). There were also "little" things that the facility had missed in their final check. They did, however, take care of them right away.

The food is great and the landscaping is great for walking my dad's little dog.

Not for everyone.

My mom moved there after suffering a stroke. When we arrived on her move-in day, the receptionist who was supposed to give us the key to her room was clueless; she had no idea about my mom's arrival or where the key was. It took about 20 minutes, with the receptionist calling different people, for her to find the key.
We later asked the receptionist what time breakfast was served the next day (Sunday). She said breakfast ended at 10 a.m. My siblings arrived on Sunday at 9;30 to have breakfast with Mom. When we got to the dining room, it was closed. Breakfast had ended at 9:30.
We also observed signs up about all activities being cancelled due to the residents being sick. Four days later, my mom caught the illness (gastroenteritis) and had to be hospitalized for 3 days. She came back to FM after being discharged.
When my mom moved in, she did not have the strength in her hand to unlock her door. She was almost in tears and said she could not leave her room for fear of being locked out. After several days, I asked the staff to change the lock to one that did not require so much strength. This is when they offered to put a "pistol grip" on her key that made it easier to unlock. Of course that worked, but why did they not issue the key with that grip. After all, FM is intended for elderly residents and problems with the key must be common.
My mom told me that one morning when she went to breakfast, there was none. No employees showed up.
Two weeks after my mom moved in, she wanted to go home. She hated it. She felt isolated and miserable. So, we moved her back home and made other arrangements. Now FM is insisting that she pay for two months of rent PLUS the non-refundable move-in fee of $3600. In other words, $10,200 for living there for 10 days. So, be warned.

Liked the 2 bedroom suite, but wouldn't need such a big kitchen, just a place for a larger table for company visiting. It has a nice outside entrance for our little dog.

Looked like a nice place!

We toured this community when we were looking into senior living options for a loved one. This seemed like a very nice place, and it received a lot of praise from all of my family members who saw it. It was high end, but also one of the more expensive options that we saw.

great to work with

Overall they have been really great to deal with. Matt, the gentleman that we dealt with, was very knowledgeable and helpful. They made it a very easy experience and a smooth transition.

My mother's transition into a retirement community was very smooth because the staff made the extra effort of seating her with a variety of other residents. She met several people with common interests & friendships have already developed.

Was my first choice.

Forwood Manor was wonderful, I was looking at assisted living, thinking perhaps his wife would be able to be there and take care of him. Ultimately she decided to stay home and we went with a different community but this was my first choice. The dining room was gorgeous. There was a lot space and the activities room was very large. Very clean and friendly.

No Weekend Breakfast.

It was signifigantly more expensive than others we saw, with no breakfast on weekends. I mean it's ridiculous these people gotta eat on the weekends too. It's thousands more than another place we saw.