The Homestead - Kew Gardens, NY

Very Happy Daughter!

My mother is at the New Homestead, the place is beautiful and is a home like environment!!! It was redone recently and well maintained. Everyone is so nice to my mother, and whenever I visit they are very welcoming. My mother told me that she loves the food, and there is always different options during meal times. MY mother needs help with showering and getting dressed, the staff at the homestead work around her schedule that whenever she is ready to shower they are there to help her. All staff at the homestead are amazing!! they are patient, and respectful to my mother!! I've seen plenty a time how the staff handled certain situations that came up, they dealt with it in a real caring and professional way. They also have very responsible med techs who take care of my mothers medications, I feel very good about it. They have excellent recreation activities, my mother is always busy, even when I call her she asks me to call her back because they either have some kind of entertainment, or game etc!! The management team is amazing, they work with us together, they encourage us to ask for whatever we need, and they make sure to take care of it immediately! They have a wonderful administrator and case manager! I was very impressed that the administrator is in the dining room during all meals, he walks around and makes sure everyone has what they want, and chats with all the residence. The operator is also very involved, he was the one that gave us the tour of the facility, he kept his word as to our agreements, and was very upfront about everything. Overall its a very pleasant, warm facility, in a great location, very affordable!! I recommend it to anyone looking for a facility for their loved ones!!

Beautiful facility

I toured here when I was trying to find a place for my friend. It was okay but they could not provide the care that she needed so we weren’t able to choose them. She needed care 24/7 and that was something that they couldn’t help with. The guy that’s running the place gave me a lot of information that they didn’t seem to include in the brochure. The facility itself was very nice and clean but there were a lot of Alzheimer’s and dementia patients so it felt a bit depressing, especially for my friend who would’ve been there. She’s very sharp, still, so it was important to me that she had a place that was uplifting. We wound up going with a home care option instead.

Happy son

I was truly amazed hoe the owner [Removed] was so involved and helpful when my mom moved in. He made that everything is taken care of in a professional and respectful way. The staff is amazing, my mother made some great friends she is always busy with different activities!
We love the new Homestead I highly recommend it for everyone!!

Tour

I did not think the layout of this community would work for my loved one. The person that took us on tour was nice and knowledgable. The community seemed clean. I would recommend taking a look to see if this community would work for your loved one

A great place

This staff was quick to help us get mom into this community. She likes the food and she has even gained weight. She has the freedom to move around. The community feels like senior community and not a nursing home. The staff have been friendly and supportive. She is making friends and I have already recommended this community.

mom or dad will be taken good care of...

first the working people there are the greatest I've seen located in a very nice neighborhood in queens ny my dad is in very excellent hands...thank you

Compassionate, friendly, available for advice and help.

Compassionate, friendly, available for advice and help.

Good care for my uncle

My Uncle is doing well here at this community. The staff are very helpful and have been able to help him progress in areas The community is clean and well maintained. He likes most of the meals, but said that the food can use alittle improvements. They do have a variety of activities that are offerd to him when he is able to participate. We are happy that he is near by so that we can visit often. We recommend the care and value to other families.

I wish New Homestead were in Manhattan

My biggest anxiety is that I don't have my medications. They keep them and only give them at meal times. When I am away and not at meals, even when I tell them in advance that I will be away, it is hard to get my medications in advance.

I know why they have daily routine but that is not my lifestyle. Especially since I retired, I have my meals when hungry, not at specific times. I wish I had a kitchen so I could make my own meals. The food here is pretty tasteless. At least I have a refrigerator so that I can have my coffee yogurt.

I have an active life and everything is in Manhattan, even when taking Greyhound to Cleveland (very often) or train to Philadelphia or to visit family. It takes a long time to get to or from Manhattan.

The New Homestead

This is a place for anyone to be when they retire. First I was so nervous cause I did not know how my mom was going to react at this place and boy oh boy when i got the phone call on the first day she got there and I was told my mom came in smiling, she participated in their party they told me she was clapping her hands when I came in later that evening she told me she was full from their meals. I felt so happy. This is the place for my mom.

NOT A PLACE IF PARENT HAS DEMENTIA

Williams first roomate urinated on the carpet and at times William. I filed a complaint with the city in 2012, after numerous compaints to management.

I asked for William to be walked and have physical therapy to make him stronger nothing was provided till 2015 then it was to late.

Many-times I or a family member visited William looked disheveled. I sent numerous emails to have his hair and nails cut.

Residents bathroom by cafeteria was covered with feces.
I have a picture dated 6/22/15 of a male resident with a long bib and a gag in his mouth.

William was hopitlized three times in 2015 for falling out of bed, knocking into something. Last time he never returned to the Homestead. He had bedsores and a UTI. He passed four months latter.

Why you ask I did not remove William from the Homestead it also had positives one the best activity director. The location the facility itself was a nice old hotel. It needs an update with carpet and furniture, the cafetria needs to be remodeled very depressing. The rooms sparse but adequate, the aids seemed helpful and friendly when I was there. The monthly cost was in Williams budget this is a major factor. I went to numorous faciltys the cost, the facility, location was very disappointing. The Homestead was not the best but not the worst if your parent is with it mentally. If not keep them home and get aids. I did this his last three months, or hire your own aids for the facility if money allows.

Dad loves it here

The Homestead is a great assisted living for seniors. Love it there and dad has made lots of friends with other residents and everyone there really. He didn't even want us to go visit him, because he had plans with his friends there. if he is happy, we are happy.

The New Homestead... Not fancy but great staff.

I am very impressed with the staff. They are caring and nurturing. I feel that my dad is very safe.
The trips that they offer are really good. They go to baseball games and dinner theater.

Very satisfied!

I am very comfortable with my dad living at the New Homestead. I feel that he is safe and very well cared for. The staff is nurturing and caring\r\nThere are a lot of wonderful activities available for my Dad.

It's been wonderful so far.

It's been wonderful so far. We have no complaints at all. The meals are a little on the small side, but that's okay, they are good. We are very happy with them. I would give them a four and a half out of five.

Not A Good Fit

The problem my mother is having is she is with a roommate that snores and half the rooms are on the train tracks so even if they move her it would be noisy. Basically she hasn't slept since she's been there and she doesn't like the food. It is just not a great fit for my mother.

Pretty much perfect!

I would really say that honestly The Homestead is perfect; it's not the fanciest facility, but the level of care they provide and how much they are willing to work with you really makes up for it. The people working there are great, they make you feel comfortable, and the facility's location is super convenient.

Entirely satisfied

Things have gone very well at The Homestead. We've only been here a few weeks at this point, but so far I would give them high marks across the board. We are entirely satisfied, and would recommend it to others looking into senior living in the area.

The Homestead, Kew Gardens

Our 100 year old loved one has been at the Homestead for three weeks. She seems very pleased. Everyone is very kind to her and she likes the food. She had been living alone and needed to be where she had some assistance while at the same time being somewhat independent. The Homestead has answered that need, and our family is very pleased.

I had to find a place for my mother quite quickly as she had a fall and could no longer live on her own. I also live overseas and had limited time to organise everything. The Homestead was the best- I had toured quite a few places. They have the one on one interaction for both my mother and myself. There are only a few people to speak to and they communicate via email phone when necessary. My mother is well cared for, has made good friends and I am very pleased to have picked this home for her. It's a home away from home. Most of all being so far away I know she is safe and looked after. It's a great community of nice people and very friendly. The staff couldn't do enough for her and me to feel welcome and get her settled. My friends who have gone to visit her are very impressed with the staff, her accomodation and everyone's friendliness. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a nice comfortable community home.

Things are going well so far at The Homestead. It's a nice looking, well kept, clean community, and the staff have all been very friendly and professional. They were very accommodating throughout the whole process, and were able to help get us set up quickly in our time of need.

They have communication issues

We've had some issues with The Homestead. The biggest one is how hard it is to communicate with them regarding issues involving your loved one. If you call them to discuss an issue they'll put you through to the relevant person's voicemail, and you'll never hear back from them. It's almost impossible to get a hold of someone directly. They make changes to my loved one's care that I don't like, and I'm always the last to hear about it.

The personnel are aware of what goes on and knows each individual that resides there. I feel Drs need to be attentive in their visits with residents regarding medication existing
And adding. Menu and activity schedule need to be in large print, as does date and time.

Seemed run down

My loved one stayed here briefly and I was not impressed by the facility or by the care provided. The place just seemed kind of run down to me, and the staff were not as present as I think they should have been. It isn't somewhere I would recommend.

Friendly and accommodating staff

They're doing a great job at The Homestead. Any time I run into any kind of a problem they're right on top of things and will be right there if anything needs to be fixed. When my loved one was having problems with leg circulation they made sure she had a high quality recliner in her room. They've been very accommodating to any requests or questions that I've had!

Nice looking place, working well so far

They're doing a great job at The Homestead so far, we'd give them high marks across the board. It's a nice looking place, it is clean, and the staff are all very friendly.

Make Sure to Consider The Homestead! Its' a Winner!!!

My elderly aunt (age 90) while still very sharp mentally (except for some intermittent paranoia) and fiercely independent had been declining physically to the degree that she recently began requiring 24/7 care, a very expensive undertaking. So we started our search for an assisted living facility. After visiting The Homestead we knew our search had ended!!!! My aunt has now moved in on a trail basis for one month. She loves the food (a priority for her), her large private room (beautiful mahogany furniture, two closets, private bath with walk-in shower, flat-screen TV, AC and even a fridge) overlooking a beautiful residential neighborhood and a myriad of activities to keep her busy. I am impressed with the friendly and totally supportive staff and the level of care being provided. From a financial point of view the all inclusive monthly fee is considerably less than other facilities we saw which were in no way comparable to The Homestead. Now I can relax knowing that my aunt will be safe, comfortable and happy.

Very nice community!

The Homestead has a lot going for it, although the care they provide is more appropriate for those on the lower end of the care spectrum. My loved one has been very well cared for here! The facility has everything you could as for! There is an on site doctor, a psychiatrist, the aides are always present and available, and she even has a (fantastic!) case manager here. They are also able to provide any needed medication. which can be billed separately for insurance reasons if necessary.
One aspect of their service that I really appreciate was they put a lot of thought into the pairings for their shared rooms. They are very cognizant of the personalities of their residents, and try very hard to match up people who will work well as roommates.

New Homestead good value and wonderful staff

My mom recently moved to the New Homestead. She has dementia and I was concerned that she be in a place where staff understood and were mindful of the needs of people with dementia.

The Homestead is in a lovely, charming neighborhood in Kew Gardens easily accessible by train (it's across the street from the train station). It is an old hotel that has been transformed into an adult living facility.

There are ongoing renovations, which are needed, but the space has a comfortable homey atmosphere. Meals are served in a large, bright dining room. The individual rooms for residents are clean and bright, and seem well kept.

The best thing about the Homestead is the staff. It is clear that it everyone there cares about their job and the residents. Every time I have called, no matter who I talked to, they knew who my mom was (even after she had only been there a day), and on the first day when she was confused and wanted to leave, the manager took the time himself to take a walk with her, talk to her and remind her/explain where she was and why. That kind of attention is invaluable.

This is a lovely residence. The staff...

This is a lovely residence. The staff are very caring and engaged with the residents. Many activities and flexible approach to supporting residents with their interests. They take those interested on field trips. My dad recently went to a Mets' game and had a great time. They really seem to go the extra mile. Also, they treat the residents with respect, not in patronizing manner.

Drove by on Saturday June 1...

Drove by on Saturday June 1 and spoke with receptionist. Looks OK.

The Homestaed was a nice...

The Homestaed was a nice place and centrally located to transportation and shops. My client does not like this place, the rooms are smaller.

1 Bedroom $3900, no medicaid.

1 Bedroom $3900, no medicaid.

High Jewish popluation includes some...

High Jewish popluation includes some care doesn't look as lush as others

The place was very clean. The atmosph...

The place was very clean. The atmosphere was pleasant. The residents seem to move around the facility. it was also located in an area where there were stores, public transportation. the residents were allowed to go outside. There was someone at the window in the lobby. the rooms were a nice size.