Atria Kew Gardens - Richmond Hill, NY

The management: the adding/cutting of hours and days

Something is very wrong with the management. residents living in atria deserves a good service, particularly in the dining. some have attitude problems. too bad they don't have cameras installed in the dining area. where the family of the residents may know how good or bad their loved ones are being treated at times.

What makes it worst the management are taking away hours from the servers/waitresses/waiter who are good nice and efficient in their work. and giving more hours/days to the bad ones,

How can anyone hire and retain servers who shouts at residents, they must have forgotten that they are serving or working in an assisted living facility and not a prison facility or prison house.

Makes me think and question whos the warden?

Retain the good ones and cut the hours/days of the bad ones and give it to the ones who are performing well. it's not that hard.

and it seems, they are also, so blind as to who are the good ones and the bad ones, that they cant see and making a bad judgment.

So here :
Please open your eyes

the good ones:

[named removed]

Now let's see if they are only blind or their maybe deaf as well. blindness and deafness is really a bad combination.
its bad enough if someone is blind, worse it is when the management is blind and deaf.

geezz! Really Ridiculous!

the names have been told to them or are they experiencing some dementia as well? tsk tsk tsk.

Kate Vance

Hi Dexter, your comments concern me and I'd like to help. Can you reach out to me directly at [removed]? From there, I can learn more and determine who is best suited to assist.

The people and amenities were great. This Atria is rather large and seems less personal than some other locations that I have visited. The Memory Care section was a plus but is cost prohibitive.

Find a Better Place

I would not recommend Atria Kew Gardens for your loved one or loved ones. I live at Atria Kew Gardens and call 311 for police non-emergencies 6 times or more a week. The police have taken corrective action, but the executive director does nothing. Doesn't she know that seniors have to go to sleep at night? Do yourselves a favor. Find a better place.

Kate Vance

Thank you for reaching out - your comments concern me and I'd like to help. Can you please email me directly at [removed]? From there, I can better understand your concerns and determine who is best suited to address them.

Great care for mom

We like the staff at this community for care. The community is clean and has a nice environment for my mom.There is a nice environment for the residents and they have a lot of nice activities that are offered for the residents who are able to participate. The menu is good and they offer a lot of healthy meals. We would highly recommend this community for the care of a loved one.

Caring Staff

My loved one is having a hard time acclimating to her surroundings here at Atria Kew Gardens. It is not crowded and the residents seem to look content. The staff is friendly and caring. It is a clean environment and she has a very nice big room with her own bathroom. The staff members are trying very hard to work with us to make her more comfortable. They are very good about communicating with us about her care needs. There is always plenty of food and nourishment for the residents. There are activities for the residents, but sometimes I think that they could provide more activity to keep the more functioning ones in the memory care busy. There are nice yards for the residents to go and sit outside and enjoy the fresh air. We feel our loved one is very safe and secure here at Atria Kew Gardens.

My brother's care

This is a good community for the care that is received. The staff is kind and helpful. I like that the community is clean and maintained. The menu is appealing and he seems to be happy with most of the meals. He offers to be involved with the other residents. We would recommend the care from this community to other families for the good care and the value of a loved one.

Beautiful Community

This is a beautiful community. Everything is working out well since my mothers move to this facility. She is being provided with good care, and I'am pleased overall.

Friendly Staff!!

I had a great tour of this community and was pleased with how welcoming the staff where to my loved one and I. They had a great floor plan that was east for my loved one to navigate through with lots of great amenities available to all of the residents. Overall it was more of a location issue for my my family and I.

Was very impressed with this facility. I will be using it as a benchmark for my 2 tours in Lynbrook on 3/29. The facility is clean (almost like a hotel) and the executive staff very caring. Memory care for dementia/alzheimers individuals will be an important factor in who we may chose and Atria Kew Gardens appears to be excellent. Location, travel wise since I don't drive, may not be ideal.

We like it!

Everything has been going excellent here. The staff has been wonderful with my mom. Mom always has plenty to keep her busy and active. I have seen the food and smelt it and it looks delicious. I like that they keep the community clean as well.

All is Well

My mother is doing very well at this community. All is well so far, and they taking very good care of her.

Care for a friend

This is a nice community. The staff is very nice and attentive to his needs. They offer a nice menu to choose from. They do offer activities for those who can participate. The community is very clean and maintained. We would recommend this community to the families for good care and value.

Care for a loved one

I toured this community. It was clean. The staff was nice and did answer my questions. It was very nice outdoors. They had a lot of residents in wheelchairs and that was not a community my sister would of feel comfortable with. They had a nice menu. They offered activities. I think families should see this community for what they are looking for. It was a nice value.

So far, Nancy at Atria Kew gardens and her colleagues have been more than helpful

Stay away from the Atria Kew Gardens.

The staff at the Atria Kew Gardens does not care about the residents. Programs are cancelled or changed without warning. When told that they like BINGO, assurances are made that the new programs will be better. The seniors don't care. They want their BINGO. Residents are pressured to write nice things about the staff. Residents attend programs where political agendas are pushed again and again. When my mother returned from surgery, the director came to her apartment to check on her air conditioning, that had not been working for months. She did not even say hello to my mother or ask how she was doing. And the air conditioner is still not working. The worst of all is the social worker who is friendly with all the aids and doesn't even know the names of the residents. These are just a few of the things that go on there. The only caring member of the administration is the rabbi. If you love your parent, stay away!!!

Kate Vance

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to reach out. If you'd like to discuss this further, I can be reached anytime at [removed].

So very helpful!

This place has a very nice staff and were very helpful. My loved one is really trying to transition and the staff is doing a great job about helping out in this time of need. They have a lot of great activities for the residents. I would recommend them to family and friends.

MY Visit Here

They were an awesome place to visit. This was not in a good location for my in-laws and it was further away than needed. The sales manager did a great job giving us a tour and they were informative.

Review of Atria Kew Gardens - Richmond Hill, NY

Great community setting....care and concern of staff speaks for itself.

Review of Atria Kew Gardens - Richmond Hill, NY

This place had no parking.Although I was told they have a car(part of their service)I dont see Mom being picked up and driven home85 of the year. And others need to park. Not practical. We did not go there

Kate Vance

I appreciate you reaching out to tell me about your concerns. If you’d like to share more, I can be reached directly at [removed].

Great communications

The staff here is great because they call me and check me up on how our brother is doing. I really like that they do this. The grounds are also very well manicured.

Warm and friendly

Atria Kew Gardens is a warm and friendly place for a loved one to live. They have a variety of activities to ensure residents feel alive and vibrant.

Very Considerate

They are very considerate. They call me once a week just to tell me how my brother is doing. They send out e-mails about meetings and what's going on. They all give me their time and don't rush me and I really think they know their business and give the residents the best care possible.

Very Pleased

Very attentive to needs of residents: excellent menu, and activities to keep them mentally and physically healthy. They keep family members regularly informed about their loved ones condition, and about ATRIA activities for family members.

Excellent But Costly

This is the one of the few memory care facilities that I could find. I was very concerned about my mother's adjustment to such a different environment. The facility is clean, there are activities and they provide services I couldn't provide at home even with a home health aide. My only concern and this is not limited to Atria is the cost, which is quite expensive. It's not that the necessary services aren't provided, there's 3 meals, snacks, all exits are protected with security pass codes, laundry is done and there are various levels of help depending on the condition of the resident, but it is very expensive. I looked at cheaper facilities, about half the cost and none of these services were provided. So you have to spend every cent you have to ensure your relative is in a safe clean space or spend less and worry every moment that they aren't with you.

I think they are doing a good job.

I think they are doing a good job. They like everyone on the staff that they have dealt with. They don't have visitor parking, so when you come to visit you have to find a place to park. The food gets mixed reviews, mom likes it but dad thinks it's bland. One thing I didn't really notice at first was how many of the population are religiously observant Jewish, they even have a Rabbi on staff. I don't really see any evidence of Christianity anywhere.

they go out of their way

They go way out of their way to help mom. I really cannot think of anything they can do to improve.

It's going pretty well so far.

We have been there for about five or six weeks and she seems content. The staff is fine, they are there all the time. They keep a good eye on her. It's kept really clean. The food seems to be okay. The facility is in an area, where there isn't a lot of traffic. I think they do enough with the activities, she dances and sings. It's going pretty well so far.

My father lived on the Life Guidance ...

My father lived on the Life Guidance floor for people with fairly advanced dementia. He was well cared for and treated with kindness and respect in a pleasant environment. Life is boring for the dementia sufferer, and that is where Atria Kew Gardens could use improvement. Not much effort was put into finding a activities to occupy those who were up to it. Residents spent a lot of time sitting in chairs staring into space. Although they promised to take residents out for van rides van from time to time, I don't think that occurred more than once in my father's 15 month stay. As in every other facility, keeping laundry straight was also a problem.

Kate Vance

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are delighted to hear that you felt your father was well taken care of and respected and welcome any suggestions you may have for activities you feel would benefit our Life Guidance community. If you are willing to share or feel we can be of further service to you, please reach out via [removed], including “Atria Kew Gardens” in your subject line so we can quickly include the right people in the correspondence. We are happy to help!

Mama moved in 6 weeks ago.

My mother moved in about 6 weeks ago. I am generally satisfied with care and cleanliness levels. Staff is competent and concerned, though you can sense that given the demands of their responsibilities they are under some degree of strain. I feel the dining room staff could be somewhat warmer. Activities are more plentiful and interesting than at Mama's former assisted living in southern Florida. Mama's depression limits her enjoyment of the many positive aspects here, but that is not the facility's fault.

Kate Vance

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. We take feedback from families very seriously as they can provide valuable insight as to how we can constantly improve the services we provide our residents. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and we welcome any suggestions you may have on how we might encourage your mother to get the most out of her experience. Please feel free to email us directly at [removed] including “Atria Kew Gardens” in your subject line, or of course, in person on your next visit!

My mother moved here from another fac...

My mother moved here from another facility. She is thriving. The activities and exercises are stimulating. The other residents are friendly and the staff is caring.

The staff is fantastic there.

My parents are Orthodox Jews and mostly everyone here is Jewish, and this is the only Kosher place around. It's the nicest place, it's beautiful. They know you by name, the staff is fantastic there. They greet you and know everything about what's going on. They doctors, nurses and a Rabbi on staff and it's really good for those who are coming from surgery, so they have someone keeping an eye on him constantly. They provide car service for Dr. appointments, we can all go with them to the doctor and they will come pick you up too. Every friday and saturday they have religious services and they take them on trips. They are very accommodating and go out of their way to see that you succeed and will call the kids and invite them to activities to keep the family and the residents engaged. They will come and check on you if you don't come to lunch or something. Everyone is positive and smiling and the smallness of it is great it's very initimate. We get monthly and daily calendars and they encourage them to do stuff.

Overall, I liked this facil...

Overall, I liked this facility and believed my mother would receive good care. The negatives were difficulty in parking for visitors and lack of on-site church services.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you were generally pleased with our community, and I would like to address the concerns you mention in your review. Our community is in a residential area where street parking is available. We do, however, have three visitor spaces in the front of our building. We currently offer Catholic services each week for our memory care residents, but we are always happy to offer transportation to any nearby church services available. If we can answer any questions, please call us at [removed] or email [removed] and include the Atria community name in your subject line. We hope that you will visit us again soon!

If my aunt agrees to it, she will mov...

If my aunt agrees to it, she will move in here but she is still in rehab and likely to there for a few more weeks

For more than 15 years, Atria Kew Gardens has served the families of Queens. With a continued commitment to quality, they have just completed an extensive renovation and expansion to enhance the beauty and functionality of their community – and better serve the growing needs of those living with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.

Recent upgrades include a renovated lobby and fully redesigned common areas, an updated café, beauty salon, library, media center and activity room, and an expanded Life Guidance® memory care neighborhood.

Residents of Atria Kew Gardens also enjoy a wealth of daily events including live musical performances, stimulating discussion groups and fitness opportunities, as well as a vibrant Jewish lifestyle featuring gourmet kosher cuisine, weekly religious services and traditional holiday observances.