The Bristal at White Plains - White Plains, NY

The Right Move

My sister and I knew it was time to move our mother into an assisted living memory care unit close to us in Westchester, but we had no idea how she would react. She had been living for five years with a full-time aide in her apartment in Queens, and the two were very attached. We were advised not to tell our mom in advance of the move so as not to make her anxious.

The Bristal in White Plains was the first place we looked at, and it felt right from the get-go. The lobby was elegant and inviting and seemed more like a hotel than a senior residence. We liked that the Reflections memory care unit was right there on the first floor in a self-contained wing with an activity space, dining room, and only 32 bedrooms. Outside the entrance to Reflections were the Wellness Center, a library, a movie room, a sitting area with snacks, and a beauty parlor. All the bedrooms, whether self-contained or in a "friendship suite" with two rooms that shared a vestibule, had private bathrooms. The day we visited, there was a vacancy in a friendship suite, and we immediately put down a deposit to secure it. Meantime, we checked out another assisted living facility nearby, but decided it had a much more institutional feel than The Bristal.

On the day we moved our mother to The Bristal, we told her that her apartment needed some major repairs and she needed to move out for a while to a place where she could stay until the work was finished. We said we had found such a place near us, and we were taking her there now. She got very quiet, then said to us, "You could have told me sooner. I'm not senile, you know."

The next day, my sister stopped by before lunch to see how our mom was faring. When she walked into Reflections, our mother was nowhere to be found. An aide told her that when mom saw a group of residents leaving for a field trip to a museum, she announced that she wanted to go, too. We were delighted that she was already getting involved in the social activities. While living at home, she was isolated from friends and hadn't been to a museum in many years.

Much to our relief, our mother acclimated quickly to her new life at The Bristal. She made friends, she said the staff was very nice and attentive, and she was comfortable in her room, which we decorated with family photos and artwork from her apartment.

Our mother's time there lasted five months, until her sudden passing. But she (and we) were treated with kindness and respect every step of the way. Moving our mother to The Bristal when we did was the best decision we could have made.

3 YEARS AND ALL'S WELL!!!

My folks (both in their 90's) moved into The Bristal at White Plains over three years ago. Although there was an initial adjustment of a few weeks, in relatively little time, both [Name removed] began to feel comfortable and "at home". The most compelling reason for their quick and easy acceptance of "assisted living life" was because the entire staff is so completely accepting, warm and welcoming. From day #1, both my parents were attended to by front desk staff, medication managers, dining staff, maintenance crew, housekeeping staff, activities personnel, and even the Executive Director, Director of Wellness, & Guest Services Director, who all go above and beyond the call of duty everyday. The Bristal facility itself is kept immaculate daily by a hard-working crew; my parents' apartment is cleaned daily, shampooed regularly, and generally well-maintained. They both enjoy a full range of activities (bingo, movies, great parties, entertainment, special holiday lunches, trips, etc.) all in their private Bristal limousine or bus and at the Bistro. We are truly thankful for the friendship, safety, and security that the Bristal provides my folks every single day. Special thanks to [Name removed] et al.

An ok community

This was a nice community when I visited. I think they were under new ownership as they seemed disorganized. They did not seem very friendly and they did not respond to the questions we asked. The community seemed clean, however I did not seem to get the warm feeling we were looking for.

ellen antonucci

At The Bristal at White Plains, we strive to be as friendly, open and attentive as possible with all visitors to our community, whether they are the friends or family members of our residents or are visitors taking a tour and considering our community. Our expert staff not only comes highly trained and experienced, but they are also chosen for their congenial disposition and for possessing a genuine love and passion for caring for the elderly. In our industry, this is essential to success, and we never take this “x” factor lightly when searching and hiring for our communities.

At all communities of The Bristal, we pride ourselves in creating an environment that is not only warm and respectful to residents — because, after all, this is their home — but also welcoming and responsive to all visitors, especially those who are seeking critical insights and solutions for their family’s senior care needs. In this sense, the excellence we achieve in the look of our community reflects the standards of care we uphold every day. This imperative is inspired by the leadership of The Bristal’s, and it flows straight through to the management of The Bristal at White Plains, which has not changed.

In addition to the above, we ask you please to consider this: When it comes to making a choice about an assisted living community, we have found over our more than a decade operating that every resident and family has unique and diverse needs — distinct expectations, priorities, perspectives and experiences — and that some aspects which prove essential for some families are less important to others. This is why we encourage all families who are considering The Bristal to visit us in person, take a tour, ask their own questions, and see for themselves what makes us such a successful and sought after senior care solution in the communities we are privileged to serve.

Good Tour

Very nice tour. Everyone was very kind, and welcoming. The facility looked nice. It was a good experience.

The Bristal is great got my 95 year old father-in-law. He has his own space, but can also meet with other residents in the commin spaces. He also gets extra care because he does need help getting around.

I love the staff

I like the staff. They are very good and kind and nice people. The activities could improve for the dementia patients, they need a wide variety of them. I am very happy and pleased with the care they provide.

Excellent

My mother lives at the Bristal White Plains and I wanted to take the time to share my/her positive experiences. The staff could not be better. Everyone is friendly and professional. They really take good care of her...from the wait staff in the dining room, to the front desk, to the nurses, to the director, everyone is kind and takes the time to stop and make sure things are going smoothly. The facility itself is extremely clean and new. Very happy with our experience this year.

good experience

The Bristal Assisted Living has been a good experience. She needs a lot of physical therapy and speech therapy. There could always be more done with that regard. Other than that things seem to be going well at this facility. We are pleased so far.

Absolutely Dedicated Staff

I would say that the entire staff at The Bristal Assisted Living was absolutely dedicated to the dignity and quality of life of the residents there. They treated my loved one with respect and genuine concern.

only good things to say

I have only good things to say. Right now my brother is settled and so far so good at The Bristal Assisted Living at White Plains. Everything here gets top ratings from me. I have been so pleased with the entire process. I am so very happy with the way everything is going.

Toured

I toured and had lunch, food is terrible. Residents didn't seem to be doing much and wasn't much activity going on. Staff was not friendly and passive. I wouldn't recommend.

admin admin

It’s difficult to respond to reviews that are so general in nature, especially those that contain sweeping conclusions drawn from a single brief visit; however, we do appreciate and value all views. The Bristal at White Plains is one of our newest communities, and we are quite pleased with how things have been steadily unfolding here. The community is filling up at a brisk pace, and we have gotten wonderful reviews from resident families who have found a real solution here for the seniors in their lives. In senior care, as with most things in life, perceptions are subjective, based on individual needs and circumstances. For example, the vast majority of residents and families at White Plains are quite happy with the menu and have shared as much with us; we do maintain a very active daily itinerary for residents, and most will happily and enthusiastically participate; and we are extremely diligent and stringent about the quality of all staff we hire. We appreciate the perspectives of all visitors, residents and families, and we use this information to continue delivering the best in all we do. The fact that The Bristal organization has been frequently recognized and awarded during our more than 10 years of operation is certainly confirmation of our efforts and achievements. But our greatest reward comes from hearing from our resident families directly that we have met and, so often, exceeded their expectations. We are an organization that believes in evolution as well as the continual pursuit of excellence, and we learn from every opinion shared by those who have personally visited and/or have chosen The Bristal as their senior care solution. We encourage, welcome and value all reviews. In addition, please consider this: When it comes to making a choice about an Assisted Living community, we have found, over our more than a decade operating, that every resident and family has unique and diverse needs — distinct expectations, priorities, perspectives and experiences — and that some aspects which prove essential for some families are less important to others. This is why we encourage all families who are considering The Bristal to visit us in person, take a tour, ask their own questions, and see for themselves what makes us such a successful and sought after senior care solution in the communities we are privileged to serve.

Bristal White Plains, NY

My mom has lived at the Bristal in White Plains for almost 2 months now. The staff is very helpful and courteous. The building is cheerful and spotless. My Mom's room is perfect for her. The bathroom set up is much safer than we had for her at home. She has been participating in bingo and the knitting club. Hopefully now that the weather is getting better she will venture out.
There has been an issue in the dinning room. She feels it takes too long to order and be served and often the wrong meal is served. I was also concerned that the staff was not familiar with at home INR testing for her Coumadin. We did work it out quickly though. I am very happy with the Bristal and would recommend it.

kitchenette, w/d in hall, daily housekeeping, no driving to appointments

ellen antonucci

The Bristal at White Plains, like all of our communities, is designed to provide our residents with freedom and flexibility. For example, while three meals a day are served country-club-style in our spacious common dining room, a bistro provides additional food choices 24 hours per day. We also provide complete laundry and housekeeping services, as well as a motor coach to transport residents to/from scheduled activities. This, and much more, is covered in our monthly rent package. But in addition to this, should residents wish to prepare an occasional meal for themselves, there is a convenient kitchenette in every room. And for any unexpected laundry needs, each floor has a common washer/dryer. In the near future, The Bristal will also be offering scheduled private transportation.

ellen antonucci

The Bristal is now offering private transportation for family visits, places of worship, restaurants, shopping and movies.

Well worth a visit to the Bristal

The Bristal cares for its residents. The staff knows everyone by their name and uses it respectively.

Food is awesome and a great variety is offered to those who don't necessarily want a big meal.

The table placements of seniors are decided by things they all have in common, so it is a very comfortable dining experience.

Bristal is a safe environment and is decorated for each holiday making residents feel they are part of a community.

It's well kept and clean

It's well kept and clean, we don't have those kinds of issues. It seems to be kind of disorganized, they haven't really seemed to follow through. I think we may be a unique situation.

Review of The Bristal at White Plains Alzheimer's / Memory Care in White Plains, NY

facility was a maze and i was confused

ellen antonucci

The Reflections memory care neighborhood for those with dementia is a secured environment and it is extremely simple to navigate. There is no "maze", only a wide open space with the activity areas in the center.

My experience with The Bristal at Whi...

My experience with The Bristal at WhitePlains is good. It is beautiful. The staff is nice and the facility is gorgeous.

I found the staff helpful,

I found the staff helpful, and I think the staff is very nice. My only concern is they should have maybe a little more social engagement. Every time I call or ask about something they are very nice. I like them a lot, and whenever I come in the front door, everyone is very, very nice, they knew her name right away.

Good place, overall

They do a great job here overall! The facility itself is nice looking, and always very clean. The care staff are friendly and professional, and very good at engaging the residents. They also provide excellent care for the residents, they have a primary care doctor that visits once a week and an attentive and knowledgeable nursing staff.

The community is immaculate. The staff is very friendly,

My mother is very happy, she has put weight on and, she is making friends. The community is immaculate. The staff is very friendly, even when I go and it's happy hour, the aides are just nice to everybody, walking around and saying hi, checking on people, and not just the residents. It's nice to just have a small kitchenette which encourages her to go to meals, which she says are very good. I don't have to worry about her when I am on the road. The activities are pretty good, there is enough different things going on that people don't get bored. She doesn't like to miss bingo even one day. It's been just great.

Pretty package

Overall safe and sound environment albeit a little understaffed. If your loved one gets sick you are pretty much on your own.

ellen antonucci

The Bristal at White Plains is one of our newest communities, and we are staffing up here as we do with all of our communities — in step with rising occupancy. This is pretty much how all organizations staff, growing in sync with the operation’s steadily expanding needs.

The comfort, safety and well-being of our residents is our number one priority at The Bristal. Whenever residents become ill, our caring staff takes extra measures to ensure that these residents are not only looked after diligently, but are also well cared for. Any additional assistance they may need managing daily meals and normal routines is always made available to them as they recover their health.

I feel like it's a beautiful shell.

The people don't clean the rooms very well at all, they don't do anything extra to even find someone if you need them. There are a lot of people there but they don't seem to do a lot, for extra services you have to pay extra. You have to pay extra for everything. I feel like it's a beautiful place but I feel like it's a shell that's all it is is a beautiful shell. The activities seem like more than there really are. They do have some different things to do, but not what it looked like at first glance. They say they have a five star chef but it really is like cafeteria food. They have a new director, who hasn't been there long so maybe he will be able to make some improvments. The people are friendly and very nice. You are not allowed to have a motorized wheelchair.

ellen antonucci

At all communities of The Bristal, we maintain a high staff-to-resident ratio, so there is always someone handy to help residents who find themselves in sudden need. And when residents require extra care on a regular basis with their activities of daily living, we customize programs individually suited to provide such ongoing assistance. At The Bristal, we work tirelessly around the clock to maintain a home that is not just exceptionally clean and comfortable for our residents, but one that exceeds the highest standards of the assisted living industry — from our resident apartments to community spaces to the exquisite and nutritionally sound cuisine prepared by our discriminating chefs.

We are particularly excited about the appointment of an accomplished new Executive Director at The Bristal at White Plains, Mr. John Giordano, whose job it is to ensure that all residents and families enjoy the finest social, recreational and care experiences there. His job is also to maintain a safe environment, which is why we do not permit the use of motorized wheel chairs at any of The Bristal communities; they have been proven to pose a hazard to fellow residents and members of staff. Mr. Giordano enthusiastically encourages his residents and families to freely call upon him to share any doubts or concerns they may have regarding any aspect of life at The Bristal.

Seems very nice

I toured this place 2 times, once alone, one with my mother.

This place opened Fall 2012, so it is very new. They were building an outdoor pool when we visited. It seemed lovely, the staff seemed very good, and the residents we spoke to were very happy there.

The apartments are smaller than at some other facilities, but very nice. Like other assisted living facilities, the apartments do not have a full kitchen, only a sink, microwave, and fridge. Unfortunately, the fridge is pretty small (not full height), so the freezer is tiny and instead of putting the fridge on something to make the contents easy to access, it is located on the floor, making it difficult for many seniors who may have trouble bending, stooping, or with balance issues..

There are very limited number of 2 bedroom apartments and they are all rented.

We ate there once and the food was okay, but bland. If visitors want to come, there are 2 private dining rooms that are free to reserve, though you pay for the meals. One of the rooms has a full kitchen so you can actually prepare a family meal there. One thing my mother was not so happy about was that visitors must go these rooms--they can not be accommodated in the dining room, as is possible in her current place. This is a minor detail, as if she wanted friends to join with our family, they could come into the private rooms with us. Just something to consider if, say, a granddaughter comes to visit often. Also, since there are only 2 rooms, holidays and weekends might book up, though they told us that hasn't happened (but they were only at 47% capacity when we visited).

The activity calendar looked interesting, but there is no transportation to doctors as there is a medical building right next door and doctors come to the place. There are limited shopping trips, but other nice events, including weekly library trips, and some trips to restaurants, stores, and shows. There are also in-house special events like concerts. As always in these places, there are abundant card-playing and movie-watching opportunities. The activities director was very eager for suggestions of activities from residents.

For other transportation options, White Plains has an interesting deal with the county. For trips within White Plains, instead of needing to call and schedule rides with the county senior bus service, you can just call a designated taxi service and pay the same $4.00 per ride--much easier than the experience of calling the "Beeline."