Somerford House & Place Newark - Newark, DE

Very nice facility and very clean. Residents were very happy and friendly and active in the facility. Staff and residents were very communicative and engaged, everyone knew everyone and had a nice family atmosphere. Costs are comparative to other facilities. Rooms were of nice size but limited on Kitchenettes.

Mom's New Care

We have been a little unhappy with this community. My mom had become ill. The staff is nice, but then need to give more attention to her needs. The menu is needing some improvements. We do like that they have activities. We are hoping that things get a little better in the time since we just moved into this community. Families should consider this community for the care of a loved one, but maybe a tour would be helpful for them

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and want to thank for you taking the time to leave your thoughts about Somerford House and Place of Newark. It is our goal to exceed expectations for all our residents and families, and I was sorry to read this was not your experience. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your observations; we are always looking for ways to listen and improve. I am confident that with open communication we will continue to provide quality care and stay focused on consistent and ongoing improvement.

Good meals. Caring personnel. Clean. Accommodating service. Very satisfied.

Pleasant Tour, but Not The Right Fit For Us

I had a nice tour of this facility. It is a nice community with kind people. Everyone was very kind to my family, and I. The community was nice, and everything looked well-kept. The staff I met was friendly, and answered my questions. The experience was a nice one, but not the right fit for my mother.

Another very nice and clean facility. Really liked the kitchenette unit. The room was very spacious. The bathroom appeared updated with an additional closet in it.

Pleased

This is a nice community, and everything is working out well for my mother since her move here. I'am pleased with all they have done for my family.

really nice. set up in neighborhoods. rooms are smaller and okay. bathroom is big enough for scooter. lots of available sitting and tv areas. mailbox at your door! smaller dining rooms with menus. lunch is the biggest meal of the day. lots of activities. resident pt room. can get order to have that while there.

My tour

The staff at Somerford was friendly and helpful. I liked the community overall.

I liked Somerford. The layout seemed more Homey. Nice areas to sit outside. Liked the 1 Bedroom Kitchenette with living room. Needs to be big enough for two people.

Con was the memory care unit was a completely different building and it would be too big of a walk for Mom to visit Dad if he ends up there.

Short-term rehab stay

We utilized Somerford House as a short-term option for additional rehab following acute rehab. Staff were very nice and responsive. They even made accommodations for Mom's hairdresser to visit and provide services in her room.

Not what we were looking for...

It was a long time ago that I toured the Somerford House & Place Newark but from what I remember, the place was nice but it was too much of a corporation type of place. We wanted something more cost effective with a more homelike feel to it.

I did love the greeting we received as we arrived. We were provided lunch and a tour which made us feel very welcomed. The only thing was the rooms were very small and very open. Otherwise the whole experience was wonderful.

Took A Tour!!

The tour guide was knowledgeable and provided me with good information regarding what the community offers. There are healthy meal plans available and many activities. The staff met along the tour were nice and attentive. I would recommend a tour of this place i thought it was clean and the staff were very accommodating.

Best Of The Best!!

I would recommend Somerford House & Place Newark. It's providing great services for my father. The staff is really nice and are very attentive. I feel that my father is in a safe place and getting good care. Activities are offered, currently my father is participating in some of them and it's going well. The meals are healthy and the portions are good.

Cozy Community

I needed to find a community that was close, and it had to fit their budget.My parents have adjusted well to the community. They are still able to keep their independence, but have access to help if they need it. The community is very well-kept. That was an important thing to us. They keep everything very clean and nice. It is a very cozy community. My parents have participated in some activities, they do offer great activities. The food is okay, they do sever well balanced meals. Overall it has been a good experience and I would recommend it.

Very pleased!

Our experience with Somerford House has been a good one! It's just a very nice place, overall. The facility is clean and well kept, and the staff is friendly and professional. I would recommend them as being worth a look to anyone looking into senior care in the area.

The facility is bright and clean. The staff is attentive and caring. They offer a variety of activities to keep the residents active and entertained.

whole process was really great

I thought that the whole process was really great at Somerford House & Place Newark. From the site visit to the implementation. Everyone was very responsive. I really appreciated that there was a quick turn around for my grandmother who is 99. She fell and we needed to get her in a safe environment fast. The whole process was very quick. We were just blown away. Somerford allowed us to bring grandmother to lunch and see how she liked it there. Things have gone as smoothly as possible. I think it is the right place for her. My grandmothers only complaint here is that they do too much for her. She is used to being independent but I explained to her that it's for her own safety. The staff members were very accommodating here. We were delighted by everything.

They seem to be very nice. I have a lot of questions to ask..

They seem to be very nice. I have a lot of questions to ask. I would hope that they could set up a program to sit down with the family and answer questions. This is the first time I have dealt with a nursing home. I would suggest if they could send us a report with updates once a week or once a month, just to see how things are going. I'm sure she is safe there. She is not happy there yet but I know she is safe.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for the constructive feedback and insightful suggestions. Please know that Family Council Meeting occur every other month between Somerford House and Somerford Place. It’s a great opportunity to meet with the management team. Please be sure to contact Kim Parisan, Director of Nursing, Somerford Place or myself at any time. Also, all managers have an open door policy. Our team looks forward to speaking with you at your earliest convenience.
– Kate Hare, Interim Executive Director – [removed].

Very clean and bright. The staff is ...

Very clean and bright. The staff is friendly and helpful. They were willing to work with me on a very tight time schedule.

Somerford House: They have been ve...

Somerford House:

They have been very helpful, and provided us with useful information. Everyone is very friendly, and staff is very nice. There are people always available if you need anything or have questions. They offer quite a few activities as well. Overall I'm satisfied with the services of Somerford House.

Review of Somerford House & Place Newark Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Newark, DE

Very nice facility, small bedrooms, and nursing home smells, overall a nice facility.

It’s pretty good.

The community is very clean and neat. Everyone is very friendly. I haven’t seen any trouble or problems. My mom never complains about the food. It’s pretty good. I guess that it’s new for us so we’re still getting used to it. The food is the best part of the service. There is a nice outside area. They’re small pet friendly.

one star would be too high but i had to rate to submit

if you do not care about your elder, then send them there. They lie, take your money and your family is treated with no respect or care. It is unbelievable the things that i saw in such a short time. It appears the individuals in the lock down center can do what ever they want to do, no structure given there. The only thing they can't do is leave. I saw people eating like pigs they were not given any help. Medicines were not properly given and if they did not think you fit in you were left alone all alone until your family took you home. This place is unfortunatly very nice to look at and clean but make sure you check on your loved one there, after time you will see. They tell you about all their memory care, check out all the kids games that are not used, they do play bingo, i think that is all they no how to do. The food is crap for the price you pay! no flavor very bland and cheaply made. Bare floors in some rooms. unbelievable. So if your family is there you better check on them. My loved one ended up in a psych unit as they could not care for her but they said they could. We stopped payment on the check!

If you can't afford it, it's not for you

This was twice as expensive as the place we chose and they seemed a little bit less accomodating. It was very much like this is how it is and how much it is and if you can't afford it then it is not for you. It was a very nice community and larger than the one we chose.

I don't believe they have enough attendents for the number of patients.

I don't believe after hours they have enough attendents for the number of patients in the facility. My aunt developed a UTI while she was there, she fell and injured her back and I still don't know exactly what happened. I was called by their supposedly medical personell and told to take her to the hospital, and when I arrived they said that they checked her out and she didn't need to go. The floors are concrete with tile and carpet that isn't very thick and my aunt is tall so how could they know without an x-ray if anything was broken? She is old and her bones are brittle. I only observed 3 people on duty at night and one time I pushed the button to be let out and it took 20 minutes before someone came and let me out. I was quoted one price and it ended up being a couple thousand more by the time she moved in. They had a lot of eye candy, gingerbread on the outside. Most of the people at the facility are not mentally awake enough to comprehend the facade... so who is that for? I haven't been able to move her furniture out of there yet and they are going to charge her for another month.

They don't take physically sick people they focus on dementia care.

They have all kinds of things to do, there is what they call a town center with crafts, and people will come and play music, sometimes they will have chili and hot dogs, or exercises. Sometimes different groups of residents will go for ice cream or something.
The focus on dementia care was what made us choose them. They don't take physically sick people they focus on dementia.
There isn't really anything they could do better. He eats, they all eat, he cleans his plate and they let them eat as much as they want and don't hinder them from eating.
The community is not like a nursing home, it has a totally different feel. It feels like an independent retirement community with no odor of people being sick, there aren't a lot of bells ringing or alarms going off. People aren't just sitting in the hallway in their wheelchairs. The people seem content and well taken care of. They make sure he is clean with showers and his incontinence is cared for, they are not left in soiled clothes. They also don't let them sit in their rooms everyday. If they try to stay isolated they will lock the door to their room so the have to socialize and be out and about in the community.

Very nice facility; I like ...

Very nice facility; I like the layout and the atmosphere. Staff and residents seem happy and friendly. Staff seem well trained and good with residents. Prices are high though, relative to other similar places (if I did my math right).

Beautiful, open concept fac...

Beautiful, open concept facility with central 'town square'. Calendar shows plenty to keep residents occupied, older population, low keyed environment.

toured with marketing director, can b...

toured with marketing director, can bring furniture; executive director is former Alz. director; very pretty and clean. not sure if has nursing area, yes dementia ward

Assisted living, 2 yr out of pocket p...

Assisted living, 2 yr out of pocket prior to medicaid

They require 2 years out of pocket pa...

They require 2 years out of pocket pay before they will accept Medicaid. Right now that is a dicey option.

Somerford House offers general assisted living on a beautifully landscaped campus in Newark, Delaware. Centrally located the surrounding community offers easy access to downtown Newark, local shopping districts, Christiana Hospital and Interstate 95. Step inside our doors to discover a lovely, homelike community with warm and inviting living spaces, where staff is on duty 24 hours a day to support and guide our residents.

Somerford House has 71 apartments with a variety of spacious floor plans that allow our residents to feel at home. Our friendly and caring staff brings more than 60 years of elder care experience providing the ability to monitor everyone’s health, safety and overall well-being. The goal is to provide needed support and services while allowing the residents to maintain, or even regain, the independence and self-confidence we all cherish.

A vast array of social and recreational activities allows our residents to be socially, physically, intellectually, creatively, emotionally and spiritually stimulated on a daily basis. Programs include outside trips to Longwood Gardens, local theaters and restaurants, concerts and more. Somerford House makes every moment matter so that you and your family have peace of mind and enjoy life to its fullest.