Solstice Senior Living at Joliet - Joliet, IL

Solstice Senior Living at Joliet - Joliet, IL has yet not published prices.

Solstice certainly is NOT a Holiday

The community was Essington Place when my family member moved in. At that time, my family member enjoyed the food and the activities offered. When Solstice took over from Holiday, the chef left and the food quality has dwindled down. Most nights, my family member and friends eat cold sandwiches due to inedible food choices. The residents pay way too much for the "chef-prepared feasts at mealtime" to be eating cold sandwiches at lunch and/or dinner on a regular basis!

Worse than the food, however, is the fact that as soon as Solstice took over, they immediately raised the rent of each resident by approximately 10%. Because most seniors, including my family member, live on a fixed income already stretched thin by the cost of retirement living, this seems ridiculous. While willing to negotiate to a somewhat lower increase, 5-8% rather than the full 10%, it has already been stated by Solstice that there will be an increase of at least 5% each year! Apparently they feel this is an acceptable practice.

My family member who loved the community and chose it over three others has asked me to begin researching other communities again. It is disheartening that in such a short period of time there have been so many negative changes.

Very nice independent living home

I think this place is a very good home. My friend lives here and I love the staff, they’re all very nice and help him when and where they can. The food is very good and very well balanced. The dining area is restaurant style where there’s a wait staff that will bring your food to you. There are 2 different entrees to choose from. The facility is so clean; I think it’s the cleanest place I’ve visited and it never smells of anything other than fresh air. I really have nothing but nice things to say about this place.

Clean facility and nice staff

I was originally looking for a place for my dad because he needed somewhere that was assisted living. This place seemed like it was okay from the tour I took. From what I was able to see, it looked clean and the staff seemed really nice. My dad wound up needing a little more care at the time than they were able to provide but overall it was a nice facility.

Feels like home

I chose this community because my Father is originally from Joliet and my brother lives only a mile away. When I was looking into moving him here, [Removed] was wonderful to work with. It was a little over budget but she negotiated with me and found a price that would work well for us. The staff here are so friendly and personable. One of the nurses here tells him that she loves him often. It’s such a family and loving environment. I can see that they really do care about my Father. They really want to create a loving home environment. The staff are more like friends to him. The facility has a nursing staff through Harvest and they are absolutely top notch. My Father has a nurse escort that brings him to all 3 meals a day and administers his medication. They make sure he is drinking enough liquids and they give him showers. Two times a week nurses come in to do a checkup to make sure he is still healthy and does a full set of vitals. There is also physical therapy staff that comes in twice a week to help him get his strength back. If the staff notices that something is wrong they call me immediately. The food is very good here and they serve 3 meals a day. I’ve eaten here myself and it’s nice. They give family members food too free of charge. The portions are wonderful as well. The facility also has snack bars where my dad can grab some water, juice or fruit cups that are available in between meals. All of the public spaces are beautiful including the dining room and game area. They have a path that goes all the way around the building and they have a seasonal garden. All of the rooms are spacious and my Father’s room has a balcony. They really try to make it feel like home. The kitchens are newly renovated and they keep up with the building nicely. Everything is just so well maintained. For activities, they have a huge calendar with something to do every day. There are games that they have, dancing, cards, and church mass. I would highly recommend this community.

Good care

We like the care from this community. The staff are very helpful and caring I like knowing that she is in a nice atmosphere. The menu is appealing. and she is please with the variety. I know that she is active with the other residents. We would recommend this community for the care of a loved one and the good value for the care that is received.

"The Experience"

I am trying to eat everything. Good food with 3 or 4 choices. I'm very versatile at eating, nonallergic and a complete change of eating as in well balanced diet. Weekly house carpet vacuum, washed floors, bathroom cleaning. Everything was ready for movers arrival and unpacking.

A nice place

This community is very nice. The food is good and healthy. The rent is a little high. They offer a lot of activities and the residents are very nice. They are accommodating and I would recommend this community.

I like this community. The staff is very nice. The need to work on getting the rooms clean. The food is very good. They do offer activities for everyone who wants to participate. I do recommend this community to others looking for a nice place to live for the value and care.

Everything is great!!

The staff are friendly and helpful. They keep the community clean and well maintained. The food is good and they offer daily activities. I would recommend this community.

Well Maintained!!

The Essington Place is a very nice community with nice people. The meals are good, my loved one has zero complaints. The place provides housekeeping for the residents. They have a variety of activities available for all of the residents to come together and interact with each other. The room she is in is very comfortable and has everything she needs.

Gorgeous property!

The community was absolutely beautiful and well-kept. The staff that offered the tour were great. They were very knowledgeable and able to address all of my concerns. They offered many fun activities for the residents to enjoy.

Review of Essington Place - Joliet, IL

Mom loved the floor plans here and all the activities. This facility is more independent living and as such her insurance won’t pay if she goes here. We loved everything about this place though

Review of Essington Place - Joliet, IL

Does not offer respite care which is what I am looking for. I am rating it poor only because it does not offer respite...is Independent Living only and doesn’t meet my needs....am not rating the facility

Holiday Retirement

We appreciate your feedback, though are confused about the one-star rating.

As you mention, this community does not meet your needs, but leaving just one star makes our total rating go down. You mention that you are not saying Essington Place is a bad community, just that it does not meet your personal needs.

Would you be willing to reconsider your rating, so that our overall rating stays generally positive? Again, thank you for your feedback.

A Good Community

Everything is good for my father since his move into Essington Place he seems to be adjusting well. The community looks very nice and very clean and the staff here has been good and helpful to us. There is a lot of activities offered here for the residents and the staff does a good job with trying to get my father to participate. The food is pretty good and over all things have been good. I would recommend this community to family and friends.

Slowly Coming Out Her Shell

We are still adjusting with the move into the community and so far things have been good. She is starting to look happy here. The management at the community is wonderful, helpful, and very accommodating with the whole process. They made everything go smoothly. I would give the housekeeping 3 stars, they could do a little more or come in the apartment more often. She is slowly starting to come out her shell and trying some of the activities they offer. They have allowed her to have her dog there, that was a huge plus for her. Another great thing they do is church services right there at the community. The priest comes to the community and performs Mass right there for the resident, and that is something that is very important to my mother.

Good people, Good food Great place!

People there were very helpful and took time to explain everything about the place,Robin did a great job in helping us with our question's, I seen a difference in my sister just after two weeks there,5 star's for them

everything that I expected

Essinton Place is everything that I expected. It is awesome at this facility. There are nominal things that could be worked out. On the whole I am very pleased though. So far so good at this facility.

staff do not work with you

When I went with mom to look at Essington Place it was very nice. It is convenient for me. However the live in manager and the marketing person expressed that they could care for mom which is legally blind but now that does not seem to be the case. They have not been good at getting mom used to it here. It took about 45 days to get her a mailbox key. For people that aren't active and social it is very hard. The staff do not work with you. When we got to the dining room they had assigned seating which was very difficult for mom being new. The staff really need to take the time to work with new people coming in and geting them acclimated. Everything was okay other than that.

Holiday Retirement

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office. I'm very sorry to hear that your mom is having a negative experience at Essington Place, but I'm glad you brought these issues to our attention. The behavior you've outlined is certainly not the Holiday standard set forth for our associates. I've passed your concerns on to our Resident Relations team for their review. Please note that you are welcome to call them as well to share any other details about the associates at Essington Place at [removed].

It was very cold and drab, and not at all inviting.

I visited here when I was looking into options. It was very cold and drab, and not at all inviting. I didn't choose to go here.

It's pretty clean, and the staff is very friendly.

It's pretty clean, and the staff is very friendly. One thing I do appreciate is that they offer three meals a day everyday of the month, included in their monthly fee. I haven't had any complaints about the food, just about how long the service takes. Also bed linens and towels are part of the housekeeping which is nice. We liked that it was pretty all inclusive. We did ask for some help with the initial set up, like hanging pictures and curtains and things, and someone did come and help, but it took a little longer than I expected. They do have some activities. We haven't had any negative experiences, and we don't have much to compare with. My thing was that they advertise with a banner that there were no hidden costs, but we had to pay a whole months rent up front with the down payment, that is non refundable, and that was a huge hidden fee for me. Their call button system is through the land line phone, and my loved one has a cell phone, and we weren't planning on doing anything different with that, but we had to, in order to have a call button, I felt like that was a hidden cost as well.

Great Pricing. Limited amen...

Great Pricing. Limited amenities. Very dated.

the Staff @ ESSINGTON PLACE are a gift from GOD

My experience from the very first phone call to the signing of the contract on my moms 86th birthday April 16,2014 was outstanding. We began the journey on Jan 29, and the very first visit there we had lunch together, she played bingo, and went to a church service which she loved! But,
knowing mom HAS to have her hair done or she just does not feel good. When we were done with the lunch(superb)
bingo and church service it was time for the REAL TEST ! we took the elevator up to the third floor and I could see the gleam in her eye,you mean I can just make an appointment on my own not having to rely on anyone else... I said yes!!
Then it was explained to me about the life alert which alerts the live in staff as well as any er type emergency. We were invited at least a half-dozen times to their entertainment programs as well!!! NO DETAILS WERE MISSED!! Robyn Romano,and the live-in management team truly go the extra for the seniors there... When my mom moved in I had to come back to bring some more items, it was later in PM and so I looked in the Fridge and there was my moms favorite treats HERSHEY BARS,REG PEPSI,and 3 of her favorite flavored pies peach,apple and cherry. I asked mom as I knew it had to be someone that knew her.... she told me Cathy Scott had been there a little while ago and gave this to her as a welcoming gesture. I really got emotional at that point and understood that Robyn Romano*Don Phillips/Cindy Lowe and Tillman and Cathy Scott are truly a gift of GOD.

Wonderful place but I think...

Wonderful place but I think that my mother needs more care.

Robyn was very pleasant and...

Robyn was very pleasant and helpful. She answered all my questions and provided lots of information. This was my first facility to visit, so I'm comparing subsequent places to this one. I'm learning more with each contact I make, getting a better idea of the living arrangements we seek, and the expected costs. 'Catered' independent living is one way to describe it!

Toured without my parents, ...

Toured without my parents, not interested due to the layout

No problems

We're going to have to move her because her memory's starting to go but they were very nice to her here. They were friendly, there were activities all the time and we had no problems with Essington whatsoever. They just really don't have security at nighttime so she could just walk out of the building, she really needs more of an assisted living type place but we had no problems here.

Very Affordable

We looked at a couple different communities and chose Essington Place because it was very affordable. My dad is happy here and really tries to participate in activities, of which they offer quite a few. They have some small areas outside to sit and relax. This community really has a home like feeling.

loved the place.

loved the place.

Nice, but older. Had a pool. Far from...

Nice, but older. Had a pool. Far from city & Granny.

Solstice Senior Living provides a fulfilling, independent lifestyle in a welcoming environment.

Just outside of Chicago, we’re conveniently located in Joliet, a friendly suburb linked to the city by highways and trains. Our community has everything you could ever want; Joliet features fine dining, wonderful shopping, excellent healthcare and easy access to one of the world’s greatest cities.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places
Solstice Senior Living offers our residents a one-of-a-kind travel program that invites you to stay up to seven nights per visit at most of our more than 300 independent living communities across the United States and Canada, where you’ll enjoy a comfortable guest room, all your meals, shuttle service, and participation in all programs and activities, at no additional expense.

Built with your comfort and safety in mind
Our easy-to-maneuver floor plans are ideal for seniors and all apartments have emergency pull cords. Our 24/7 dedicated live-in managers provide an additional level of comfort. We understand that each individual is unique and that needs may change over time. Solstice Senior Living does not provide any health care services. Residents are welcome to use outside home health care options that may enable them to continue enjoying life at our community.