Roses & Ivy Elder Care - Chico, CA

Good Care

It seem extremely expensive but it seems all of them are. Helen needs to be in assisted living and this one seems to be working for her. We're working things out with the care. They're really nice and when we address issues they don't get offended.

I think she's getting good care. I think if there is an issue it will be taken care of. I am there a minimum of 3 days a week and advocating for her and there have been some small issues but nothing that would effect her health or care.

There are a few activities, not a whole lot, but that works for Helen because she's not a big joiner. She does have to go the meals so I know she gets out of her room at least 3x a day. Anyone can eat any meal with the residents for free so I go on Wednesdays and sit with her and her table mates.

The staff, Cindy, and owner...

The staff, Cindy, and owner Brian were very nice and answered lots of questions. I like her room and she does also. I have had lunch with her two times and everyone is friendly. I am not sure how much Helen wants to interact with others. Hopefully she will once she gets to know the others better. It really is her journey. I can only do so much.

Roses & Ivy Elder Care has been in existence for over 25 years. It was started as a six bed assisted living facility in 1987 and remained that way until early 1999. At that time, the owner purchased what used to be the Roses & Ivy Tea Room, which had recently closed it’s doors, and expanded the home to house fifteen residents. In 2001, a woman by the name of Lida Perry came to live as a resident at Roses & Ivy. Lida had been a resident at nearly six other facilities here in Chico and was forced to move from each place as her needs increased. At Roses & Ivy, she was able to live out the rest of her life (nearly two years) in a place that she really felt ‘at home.’ During her stay at Roses & Ivy, the Perry family, a long-time Durham family, came to realize just how unique this place was…staffing levels were 2-3 times higher than most other assisted living facilities in the area and the level of care that Lida received was extraordinary. When Roses & Ivy was put up for sale in 2003, Lida’s grandchildren recognized this as an opportunity to continue the legacy of providing extraordinary care in a loving environment and purchased Roses & Ivy. They converted the owner’s living quarters into resident rooms, increasing the occupancy up to 20 residents. The rest of facility has pretty much remained as it was, and remnants of the days when it was a tea house still remain.

Roses & Ivy Elder Care has one purpose…to provide the highest level of care possible in a home-like setting, where both the resident and their loved-ones are treated like family. Our family is local and firmly committed to providing a life-changing experience for our residents and their families…add to that one of the lowest staffing ratios of any assisted living facilities in the north state…and you’re off to a great start. Because we’re only a 20 bed home, we’re small enough to provide an intimate experience for our residents and their families, but large enough to provide a lot of the amenities of the larger facilities. You will be hard-pressed to find a more loving and caring staff, with extraordinary experience in meeting the needs of the elderly.

Our sitting rooms are the picture of Victorian elegance and a wonderful place to relax with family and friends. Our dining experience is built upon two basic premises…1) we do a lot of scratch cooking to control the quality and adapt to special diets…and 2) we have a ‘garden to table’ program where we grow a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in 1 of our 14 planter beds. We hope you’ll join us some time for breakfast, lunch, or dinner…again, we want you to feel ‘at home’ in our home.