Atrium at Oak Crest Residence - Elgin, IL

[name removed] was very amiable and pleasant; she gave us a tour of the facility and explained everything very well.
Overall the facility was neat and organized; and the staff that we saw were very friendly.
That said, the location is very difficult to navigate driving wise; the furniture in some areas was a bit concerning; and while it did have a comfortable homey feel, their were areas that seemed gloomy.

Really impressed with this facility. A hidden gem! Although we ultimately decided on a different facility this was a surprising and delightful home. If we had been looking a few years earlier in mom's diagnosis this would have been a top contender.

Review of Atrium at Oak Crest Residence - Elgin, IL

Wonderful facility! Excellent staff which takes wonderful care of the residents. The facility is very well maintained. Clean, well-cared for and comfortable.
Activities are available for residents that want to take part. Great place!

Review of Atrium at Oak Crest Residence - Elgin, IL

My wife and I were responsible for the care of her uncle as he succumbed to Alzheimer’s Oak Crest was a god send. You will not find a facility that provides a more caring and compassionate environment for your loved one.
The entire staff is wonderful! The facility is always immaculate, the food is wonderful! You will do no better than Oak Crest!

Clean and friendly, but not exactly as advertised.

I think it's a clean well kept up environment. I don't know about the quality of the food, or the variety, but I think it's somewhat restrictive and corner cutting in a manner of speaking. The characterizations they provide for marketing purposes, are more accentuated than reality bears out. I would say they definitely under delivered. They are nice people and pleasant when I am there, they say hi, and seem to legitimately care about the residents. Our experience is with Atrium Apartments exclusively and not the Oak Crest portion, we have not had any experience to comment on that.

Nice place good people!

The staff was great when I took the tour. The gave me the walk through and answered all of the questions that I had. I did see a few residents out and finishing up there lunch. This community just was not a good fit for dad.

Beautiful Community!!

The Oak Crest was a very nice place. It had a historical feel to it which I loved. They have high ceilings and the basement lounge felt like a very nice hotel. there was a positive atmosphere, the environment was very family like. They were very flexible with the pricing as well. The only reason we did not go with them was simply because of location.

My Thought Of The Tour!

There was nothing going on during our tour. We did not see a lot of staff around. The community did not have a lot of sunlight coming into the community. This community just did not seem to work for us. The staff I met during the tour were nice. The staff at the community we chose seemed more caring & kind.

Wonderful, charming and quaint.

A wonderful place with an exceptional staff.

My Father, and his little dog, lived in the Atrium Apartments for the last few months of his life. He was reluctant to go into assisted living, but once he got there, he loved it. It exceeded any expectations I had. A lovely place with an extraordinary staff.
My only regret, is that he wasn't there longer.

Pleased

This is a hidden gem in the downtown Elgin area! The building and the apartments are beautiful and well maintained. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the food is delicious and nutritious.

Review of Oak Crest and Atrium Apartments - Elgin, IL

Cost is high. Building is very well kept and has a lot of character. Found the building to be a bit confusing convoluted. Areas looked high end which my family member would appreciate. Concerned with lack of visibility of additional cost for services since they charge for elements of service at a very granular level

admin admin

Please call us so that we may review our facility comparison sheet. It illustrates the value you will find at Oak Crest.

Great for dementia- individualized attention

My mother loves her studio apartment and has made wonderful friends. Perfect fit for moderate dementia because I think she would have hated a true memory care facility. She thinks she has a lot of freedom but they watch her like a hawk. If I call the desk they always know where she is. Chose this facility because the corporate run places lacked the warmth and individual attention found here. Many staff members have been there for 10+ years. Low turnover was very important to me. Monthly community dinners allow my mom to invite family and friends to dinner "at her place" which gives her a sense of dignity. Agree with other reviewers that salon and service charges were sometimes questionable, but after discussing them the errors were acknowledged and we didn't have to pay. Very flexible place, highly recommend.

For moms needs this facility is perfect

She loves it at Oak Crest and Atrium Apartments. She likes the outings they have. It is reasonably priced here. The only problem I've had is the stylist that comes in and charges for services that my mom doesn't even get. They have resolved it though. For moms needs this facility is perfect. The staff know everyone's names here, not just the residents names, all the family too. Mom has dementia but I get a lot more here than if I would have placed her in a memory care facility. They treat mom individually. By not being tied to a corporation they can do a lot more independently. Overall I am very happy with this facility.

Five Star Living

There is no comparison and patient has changed for the better. Was given 4 other places to go but no comparison fell in love with facility.

Staff was friendly, apartments were quite large and the pub downstairs was very cool. However the community was quite small, and activities seemed related to interest of the community - more limited than some other places we have seen. Older building.

admin admin

The Atrium (built in 200) shares many community partnerships and offers a wide variety of personal interest opportunities.

would not recommend

Overpriced, poor quality of services provided, staff lack respect to members.

admin admin

Whatever happened on your tour to cause you to have developed a strong dislike on every level, we apologize. Stop by, we will work to dispel your misconceptions.

Very welcoming and friendly community!

Overall things have gone well here! They really put a lot of effort into helping my loved one adjust to the community, and they're very good about making sure the residents know about the activities and inviting them to participate. The facility itself is clean and well kept, and everyone has been very friendly and helpful.

Oak crest atrium

The atrium is very nice. Always clean. Always friendly. Mom is very happy.

Clean and friendly, but a lot of unexpected charges.

It's clean and the staff is friendly, and responsive. From what they tell me they have plenty of activities. However, I think they were less than forthcoming with respect to charges. The bill came in several hundred dollars higher than anticipated, and some of it seems excessive, and unnecessary, 400$ for shower reminders, we don't think she needs is a lot. We are a little suspicious of their billing practices. We chose based on price and location, and we lost some of the price advantage with the extra charges.

admin admin

Sorry that your charges have caused you concern, always happy to discuss any individual questions. Glad you continue to trust us with your care needs.

Staff was very friendly and...

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. However, this feels more like assisted living with 3 required meals a day and room checks at least 3 times per day. Apartment has only a galley kitchen and could use updating.

A unique and friendly home that can c...

A unique and friendly home that can customize the needed care and oversight for your loved one. Professional and friendly staff that gets to know the individual. Their special and personal concern makes your loved one assured from day to day.

Plenty of years of being in the trenches and it shows! There is a team, that works very well together. The staff knows everyone on a first name basis and they get know the the person within.

I am fortunate to have them and their professional staff assisting me with my friend's needs.

Wonderful place!

I actually toured this property twice because it was on the short list with one other place. For me, the location was great, but it also allowed pets which was a need for us. But the thing I liked most about it was that the staff seemed genuinely interested in the residents there. They also showed a good knowledge of how to care for and communicate with people with dementia. The only thing that concerned me was the floor plan - because my Mom would have to take her dog out several times a day, I was afraid that she would have trouble learning the hallways. If it weren't for the dog, Oak Crest would probably have been my first choice because of the staff.

Went to see this one today,...

Went to see this one today, and I think for the price, this may be the one. Marlene was very very nice and informative.

Very clean and odor free. Staff was ...

Very clean and odor free. Staff was friendly. Neither my Mom or I felt this is a good fit for her. It just didn't have that comfortable, homey feel for either of us. Building is right on route 31. Very busy road. She is looking for somplace that has a walking path with some trees and I think someplace with a little larger population. Not huge, but a little larger. The apartment itself was very generous in size, but the layout just seemed a little strange. She didn't like this one at all.

Rich in history, Oak Crest Residence and Atrium Apartments
has become home to seniors since 1904. Oak Crest offers an
active lifestyle of individual choices and customized service
options. Our size provides a friendly neighborhood atmosphere.