Bickford of St. Charles - Saint Charles, IL

Too Many Stairs

We took a tour at Bickford of St. Charles, and while I thought the community was nice, it was not suitable for us because of the many stairs they had throughout the community. We decided to go with a facility that would be a better fit for us.

Toured at 2PM. Difficulty entering the facility as there is no receptionist and a code is required to enter and exit. [Removed] gave has a complete tour and a good overview. She also recommended a good mover. Very nice facility. Members of the staff were recreating an [Removed] Sisters tune - impressive. Maybe it was the hour of the day, but we did not see many folks in the common areas, as most must have been in their rooms. Dinning and choice of foods looked excellent.

Doing Well

The place is very nice mom seems to be happy there. [Removed] the new manager there is awesome. Mom is not crazy about the food would much rather eat my wife cooking. We feel secure in knowing mom is getting good care.

[Removed] was very friendly, educational and spent over 2 hours helping me understand the assisted living/memory care process as well as where my Mom might fit best between those two. The Bickford was lovely, appeared fairly new, clean, bright. The memory care area is small with not many residents. It appeared cluttered but I understand this is to help with memories. We will consider the Bickford for my Mom.

Excellant facility & staff you couldn't find a better place

I first learned of the Bickford Assisted Living facilities when I took my mother to visit a friend in the Bickford of Rockford, IL. I was very surprised at how nice the facility was and when I asked for information, the people were very helpful. I have come to now know that this is the standard by which their homes are run.

My mother was ready to leave her apartment and we started looking at facilities around the western suburbs of Chicago. We looked at two Bickford facilities, both of which were excellent. During our visits the staff was very friendly and informative. One thing I notice right away the staff always spoke to the residence and called them by name. Something I did not see at other places.

We eventually settled on the Bickford of St Charles, IL and could not be more pleased with the decision. It is no longer an assisted living facility but a warm and caring home for my mother. They have a full day of activities with something for everyone. The food may be too good as my mother has but on a little too much weight.

The staff at St Charles is very good and they all know my mother which is obvious when I talk to them. The home is kept in top condition and is always decorated in season. This location sponsors periodic events for the entire family and they do an excellent job with these family occasions.

The Bickford of St Charles has been an excellent home and has been instrumental in making the transition from apartment living to assisted living painless for my mother.

I highly recommend any of the Bickford homes and especially the St Charles location.

Best Place for our loved one.

We moved our family member with memory issues into Bickford about 1-1/2 months ago. His health has already greatly improved. He moved in there when we realized we could no longer meet his needs in our home. He moved in to Bickford after a hospital and long rehab stay and he was so week that he had become wheelchair bound. He is already up with his walker & looks years younger. They are diligent with meeting his needs (regular toileting, doctor ordered water restriction enforced, social interaction, even physical kind & appropriate touch). The nurses, CNA's & administrative staff are all very aware of him and his specific needs - well trained, knowledgeable & friendly. They are very loving & consistent with all that they do for him. He normally would complain about food - but he is happy with the food provided there. We are thrilled with the level of care. Great team caring for our loved one.

I toured this community for the care for my mom The rooms were not what we were looking for. It did not have the feeling.We were happy with the staff and the menu of meals that would have been offered. We would recommend that families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

I toured this community for my mother and her needs. Everything went very well, and this is a pleasant community. The staff I met was friendly and kind. It was a very good experience. There were many factors that played into where to move my mother too. This wasn't the place for us, but it is a good community with kind people.

I just stopped in there and they gave me a tour. Very nice. The problem is they are a private pay. If my dad runs out of money, I don't want to have to move him. No medicaid.

Home away from home

Bickford was top choice because it had a sink in the kitchen whereas many assisted living facilities don't. Mom wanted a place where she could make her coffee/ tea when she wanted it. She moved in two weeks ago. My mom really likes Bickford. Her only complaint is the food could be better, that's the reason for the 4 stars. The staff is friendly and helpful, the facilities are clean, and the residents appear happy. in two weeks mom has begun to make friends and found residents that enjoy similar activities to what she enjoys. The management is transparent about costs and has a program in place to help the residents get acclimated . Mom's favorite activity is happy hour every Wednesday .
Just like other assisted living facilities, the food is overpriced in that there is no tiered plan for meals but a one size fits all. The common areas are inviting and clean.

Mom is getting the assistance she needs and is as happy as one can be when giving up their independence. I would highly recommend Bickford .

This was a very nice place and I liked it enough that I would even consider working there. Very pleasant, the residents were very kind to allow us view their homes. The tour went very well. Now we need to have our MIL take a look but she is being stubborn again and says it costs too much. I feel the prices were fine for all the services being given.

Review of Bickford of St. Charles - Saint Charles, IL

For assisted living and memory care this is a beautiful facility.

Four Stars

The staff at Bickford had been very helpful and friendly. My parents have settled in nicely and seem to enjoy it there.

really helped us

They have been very helpful as my dad's health has changed and we have had to bring in hospice, which was not expected. They really helped us go through this tough journey.

They do seem to be a bit understaffed and because of that there are times where I feel my dad is not getting the attention he needs as quickly as I would like. But I think that would be an issue just about anywhere.

Overall though things with Bickford of St. Charles have been very good and I would recommend them.

too expensive

We liked it at Bickford of St. Charles but it was too expensive so we had to move out. It was their way or the highway. They didn't work with you on anything financially. They are just very friendly there. You felt like part of the family. I do wish it would have worked out.

Great placement

The staff at Bickford was able to work with me to get my mother moved in just a week after she was discharged from rehab care and still needed more attention than family could manage at her home. Great people!

very nice place

I was only at Bickford of St. Charles for a visit, but from what I saw I was impressed. It is a very nice clean place with excellent staff. From what I gathered I would say that they could probably stand to have more activities, especially on the weekends.

Really liked this. Very "fancy."

Amy Orlando was very helpful, compassionate and friendly with Mom and me. She arranged lunch with 2 residents who made her feel welcome and wanted. Mom really loved the more spacious apartment design, as she could more comfortably replicate her home environment. The staff seemed friendly and helpful. She enjoyed the food very much.

Seemed like a nice place

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. We thought this place looked very nice, and after touring quite a few places it was our second choice overall! The staff were all very friendly, and the residents seemed well cared for.

Empty promises...

This place is way over priced. Amy Orlando says anything she can to get your money. That's all they care about. Half the staff is incompetent. For the money that is paid the residents deserve so much more. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Definitely go elsewhere!!

I think they are just as good as any other of the other places.

I think they are just as good as any other of the other places. It's a safe, clean place. The staff is cognizant of all things, the don't overlook stuff, and they are easy to work with and very accommodating. The one and only thing that has been an issue for us is that they have residents with Alzheimer's there, and they have a tendency to intermingle with everyone. One of those used to be in the room we have, and they keep coming back like a lost cat, which can be a little disconcerting for new residents. They need to be more aware of that. When I brought it to their attention, they did try to take steps to take care of it, but it was an immediate turn off for her. Other than that, we are pretty happy with them.

They could use a few improvements.

So far it's going okay. The staff is very friendly. The cleanliness could be improved a little. My parents are independent so they don't really use any care services, but they have been quick to address any questions we have had. There are plenty of activities. They aren't real happy with the food. It's very bland, and the portions are very small. The service isn't the best either, when they have asked for something else, or a little more, it never comes. I would also really like to see someone at the front door. You are supposed to have a code to get in and out, but there is nobody there to monitor that and they can just walk out behind someone else, and it has happened before. I would just like to see more personnel.

Amy Orlando

Thank you Sue for your comments. I am happy to hear that we are friendly! We do enjoy your parents so much as they are delightful. I am sorry to hear about the food. Our chef allows our residents, like your parents, to season their food themselves. This way each resident can decide for themselves how salty or peppery they would like their own food to taste. In regard to the portions, each of our residents are allowed to ask for seconds and thirds if they like. I will make sure to reinforce to our servers that they need to follow through on your parent's requests. At least there is food they want to have more of if they think the portions are too small! We do have a full time Conceirge. It is her responsibiility to be at her desk at the door and she also does monitor whoever comes in and out with our security code. With our independent residents she is not expected to direct or redirect as they are independent and require no assistance. Since we are 100% occupied we have increased our Bickford Family Members in every department of our branch. I hope this helps and as always, feel free to reach out to us either by phone or our personal emails. Thank you, Amy Orlando

Disappointed

Unfortunately - I have no personal experience at other facilities - so I don't have a good comparison for what might be standard.
I have been disappointed by a lack of communication. I have been told who to ask questions of and I do not receive replies to emails or call backs on the phone. A written letter of concerns was sent to the facility without any response.
In visiting the facility I was told how wonderful the food is. I have sat through at least five meals and feel the adjective wonderful should be removed from the promotion. Beverages - i.e. water, is often not served until the people at the table I have sat at are halfway done with the main course. This too has been expressed to the management.
The residents, naturally tend to be hard of hearing. The young staff does not appear to be trained how to speak with this older population.

Amy Orlando

I would invite you to come to my office so we can discuss how we can make this better. I would reach out to you but there is no name. Thank you, Amy Orlando

Review of Bickford of St. Charles Alzheimer's / Memory Care in St Charles, IL

Nice enough - but no rooms in MC avaiable

The experience has been good.

The experience has been good. It's very clean and the staff is extremely friendly. Penny the nurse is awesome, and both Amy's at the front desk. They have her out and doing stuff which is so nice. She has complained about the food not tasting good or being cooked to her liking. When I walk in they have music playing and every time I walk in I think of a funeral home. I liked the layout, and how homey it felt, and how nice it was on both the outside and the inside of the place, it didn't feel clinical.

Positive

Positive after 7 days.

Bickford review

Amy Orlando was so gracious and flexible in accommodating my Dad's needs. All the staff we met was very friendly. Bickford did all they could to fast track his move in and make the transition as easy for us as possible.

Finally, a place for mom

My sister and I checked out many residences for our mom before we decided on the Bickford of St. Charles, Il. The staff there was very friendly and informative when we toured the facility. The place is very clean and feels like an elegant but comfortable home with lots of open gathering spaces and a number of cozy fireplaces. The dining room is decorated very comfortably and each resident is given a menu to choose their meals from. The floor plans for each apartment are roomy and laid out for the convenience of the person living there. The fact that you bring your own furniture to your apartment makes it feel more like home. The rooms have big, bright windows that allow a lot of natural light to enter your space. Housekeeping and laundry service are also provided witch makes it easy for your loved one to live hassle free.
Our mom has only been here for two weeks and she is having a few problems with adjusting to her new surroundings but the staff is helping her with that. She is 89 years old and until now has lived on her own. She also has some dementia so things are a little difficult for her, but my sister and I are sure we made the best choice for our moms health, safety, and well being by choosing the Bickford.

a very nice place with awes...

a very nice place with awesome views out the windows of the tri cities. they have a lot of activities. this would be a great place for my mom or the both of my parents

New and only around 30 residents over...

New and only around 30 residents overall. Nice common areas and rooms. Front door is always locked. No front desk.

Really nice

Really nice

We visited this place. An impromptu ...

We visited this place. An impromptu visit. Very, very nice place; however, too expensive.

Very nice surroundings

Very nice surroundings

We began our quest into senior living because of our love for our beloved mother, Mary Bickford, whose needs became too great for us to manage. As we researched senior living options, we were shocked at our findings. The options offered too much or too little – none met her needs and nothing felt like home. Since we couldn’t find what we wanted, we decided to create what we needed. Our main desire was to create a place that helped her achieve an equivalent peace and happiness that she had earlier in her life.

We understand that selecting a senior living community for your loved one is one of the toughest decisions that you will ever face. We will work with you to ensure that the transition is as easy and comfortable as possible. Whether your loved one is at home, in the hospital or even in another state, we can work with your hospital, insurance company, and doctor to make your difficult decision easier on you and your family. Aging can be difficult – but we’ve also seen the beauty in aging. Our mother’s happiness inspired us. We created Bickford for her and now we’re devoted to serving yours. We look forward to meeting you soon.

Services