Colonial Oaks Memory Care at Westchase - Houston, TX

A difficult decision but a good result

We moved my mother here after she had lived in another memory care facility for several years. The rent at the previous place had gone up over the years and it finally became prohibitive. My efforts to try and negotiate with them were largely unsuccessful, they offered only a tiny reduction in the rate. So I got in touch with APFM and they arranged tours of several nearby facilities, all of which were very nice and priced significantly lower than we had been paying. We decided on Colonial Oaks because it seemed a good fit because of location, level of care and services and value for the cost. We did have a bit of a learning curve with medication orders, etc., when she first moved but that all worked out.

Good care and value

This is a nice community for care. We like knowing that she is active in this community. The staff is caring and the environment and the cleanliness are very nice. We like the menu, but it does need some small improvements in the dinner menu. We would recommend this community for the care for a loved one.

Our top choice!

The staff have done well caring for mom thus far. They are easy to work with and communicate well. The community is nicely maintained and very clean. They have a number of activities available for my mom to choose from.

the staff from the director on down is real friendly

So far so good at Coloinal Oaks Westchase. The value is really good here. They have good activities. The food is good. It is well balanced. They have activities in the morning and afternoon and then they have a snack for the residents. All of the staff from the director on down is real friendly. I am very pleased with this facility so far.

Lack of compassion and basic care

My dad had advanced Alzheimer's. Sorry to say Colonial Oaks Westchase was the worst care I have ever seen! I visited my dad nearly every day and we also had a private duty care giver with him 8 hours so that he had care during the day, as Colonial Oaks could not give him the care he needed. As soon as he was alone Colonial Oaks tied him to his wheel chair and "parked" him so that their staff could do other duties. He, along with the other residents were left unattended in the tv room every night so that the staff could have their dinner then clean the kitchen. This [removed] resulted in my father falling over and over again, the wheelchair falling on top of him because he was tied in! We requested that the ties be removed but the requests were ignored. He was sent to the hospital 5 or 6 times with injuries due to the falls. He was made to sleep on the floor (on a "fall matt" not even a mattress)! During this time I was having him evaluated by other Memory Loss Facilities so that he could be moved. He must have fallen again but it was not reported. We noticed 2 days before his scheduled move that he had a pain patch on his back and bruises on his side and arms but none of the staff would explain why, when or how it happened. His first day at the new home we discovered that his hip was broken.
This place might be ok if you can take care of yourself but, if your loved one needs assistance of any kind stay away!

Very Pleased

I am very pleased with the staff here and wouldnt want her to be anywhere else. If she falls or something or has a bruise they call me to let me know. They are always on top of things and very caring.

Friendly staff, and all one floor

They've done a great job at Colonial Oaks so far! They've got a great staff with very caring attitudes, and you can tell that they are really committed to their residents. It's a nice looking, clean facility, and we really like the layout. It is all on one floor, and has 2 different courtyard type areas, so it is easy to navigate and has plenty of space for walks. I'd definitely recommend it to others looking into care options for their loved ones!

This is a pleasant place. You will se...

This is a pleasant place. You will see cleaning everyday. Most of the personnel are very friendly. The cooks do a very good job preparing delicious and nutritious meals. There is a lot of love here for the residents. The rooms are small and don't have room for much personal belongings or family members. My concern with the facility is obtaining medical treatment and information on my father even though he has a HIPPA agreement with my name on it.

The Layout May Be Confusing for Residents with Memory Issues

I thought it was really nice and very clean. The one was chose had a very straightforward layout but this one was like a wheel where they had spokes off the center. We were afraid that my father-in-law could get lost just trying to find his room and of course it was a lot more expensive.