Brookdale Shadowlake - Houston, TX

Smaller community but food needs some work

I ended up picking this facility for my Mother because it was closer to where I live. It’s a small community and sometimes it feels like it’s a little too small. My mom’s room is nice and spacious and her window overlooks an enclosed patio. It’s decorated very nicely and there’s a lot of greenery. However, she is not happy with the food. My mom could order something off of the menu and she will receive something at random. It’s like the staff gives her whatever they want to feed her. I’ve addressed this with the management and it will change for a few days but then go back to how it was before. I would recommend this facility to other families.

Mom loved it here

I really loved the facility, it was a really great place. My mom was there for only about 10 days but she was very happy while she was there. The staff was easy to communicate with, they took really good care of her, and overall they just seemed to love her. The food was spectacular. When I visited, they served us chicken cordon bleu and it was amazing. Everything else they’ve served looked great, too. Housekeeping was scheduled to come by once a day and they really kept her room clean. They had a few different types of activities for everyone to participate in like chair exercises, games, things like that. I would definitely recommend them for others.

Very Impressed

We were very impressed with this community when we toured it. However, at the time my mother was not in the best health and we had found that they may not have enough medical staff to tend to all of my mom's medical needs. However, the community is very nice extremely clean and well maintained and the staff was very friendly and professional. If my mother keeps showing a steady trend of improving then we may consider it necessary to move her here.

The facility was quite nice we happened to have a tour on Saturday and we were unable to get any cost figures, we suggest tours during the week.

Good Community

I had a nice tour of this community. Everyone was friendly, and kind. The staff was cordial, and answered my answered. The community looked nice. Everything went well, but this wasn't the right fit for us. However this is a nice community, and I would recommend for someone to go to take a tour.

No Complaints about This Community

For the most part we haven't had any issues with this community since my mothers move here. The only issue we have had, is getting her therapy started. Other than that issue, my mother is doing well. I do feel comfortable with the care they are providing her with. This is a good, safe community, and I would recommend it.

Kind Staff!!

The thing I was most impressed with at this community was the staff and how caring they where. They even went out of there way to reach out to my loved one and I after our visit to make sure everything was going well. That really meant a lot to me that they did that. They had a beautiful property with lots of great amenities to all of the residents. It was just not the right location in the end decision for my mother.

Very kind hard working staff, but limited activities.

Shadowlake is a nicely landscaped facility! It is well maintained and in good working order. However, the interior of the Clare Bridge unit, typical of most Brookdale facilities, is an older building and requires some attention. The carpets are stained and need freshening in a facility where germs are of concern.
The staff is very kind hearted and hard working, it's always about the people not Brookdale Corp. It's a very difficult job and I do appreciate everyone's efforts. They all deserve some recognition. There have been a few missteps in care services, things that can be worked out in management.
A concern of mine, however, is the fact that they have a calendar of activities and events, but these are often not carried out, which is unfortunate. I would like for not only my mother to participate in more activities, but all able residents. Of course, I understand that there are days that nothing goes as planned.
This is our second Brookdale facility and our first experience was always trying "a win win" effort. There is new leadership at Shadowlake with a good heart and motivation. I'm optimistic that this will be a "win win" as well.

Good respite stay.

We chose Brookdale Shadowlake for my mother's recent respite stay because it was convenient for me. I have no complaints and it was a positive experience.

Not the right fit.

The staff at Brookdale Shadowlake was was helpful and informative. I liked our tour but we felt that the overall atmosphere wasn't a good fit for my loved one.

I liked what I saw with the rooms. Staff was very friendly. A little concerned for my aunt about the lack of a kitchen. Only had a small fridge and microwave. I think it would be Ok for the price. Room was very nice. It looks like they have lots of activities but I didn't see any going on at that time

Professional Staff!!

I really liked how professional the staff where at this community during our tour. They took the time to give my mother and I a great experience and answer any questions we had for them in detail. I also liked to see all of the residents involved in many of the activities throughout the building. Overall great experience.

My Thought Of The Tour

This community seemed a little gloomy when we visited. My loved one did not seem excited about moving into this community. They do offer a better outdoor area than the community we chose. They had what looked like a good memory care area. The people we met were nice.

Amazing Food

For the respite we had it was good. It was so clean and the food is so good. My mom gained a lot of weight while staying there. We provide all that she need and the only issue we had was that they did not brush her teeth and help her with walking around the community.

Hoping things will get better...

The staff is doing a good job, it's hard for my mother to ask for help. The place is clean and well Maintained well. The dining room has an institutional feel to it, I wish they would decorate it more. It could be more cheerful and be inviting. The meals are okay, they don't really have a good taste or variety. They did very well with working with us with the money and that's what pulled us in. There is a group of 3 staff members that my mother knows pretty well. Things are improving.

Positive Atmosphere!

I really like the people and the atmosphere of this community. Before we moved my husband in, though, they made us some promises that they did not keep. Also, they raised their price for no reason. The place itself is very clean. I had a chance to go have lunch with him at a Christmas party last week, and the food was decent, just not the way I would cook it. It was a bit overdone. My husband has joined in the activities such as choir and bingo. It's been a good experience for him so far.

Overall great care for my father .

This community is nice and clean. The staff is very caring and friendly . The food appears to be good. They offer him activities for him to stay active.We do have concerns on the prices that sometimes change each month. The management needs to stick to one price for all the needs each month. Overall this community is giving great care for my dad.

Feels Like Home!

I really like the family atmosphere that Brookdale Shadowlake provides. I am very pleased with the staff, they are all very friendly and attentive with my loved one. The community is kept clean and well organized. If i have any concerns they will work to solve any issue going on. Meals are tasty and nutritious there could be some changes but overall, everything is good.

Highly Recommend!!

The overall care my loved one received was wonderful, there was always a staff member coming to check on my dad making sure he was comfortable and his needs where being met. I will defiantly use this community again in the future and would highly recommend this place.

Needs an update!

The staff from Brookdale Shadowlake were very polite and cordial. They were able to address all of my concerns in regards to my mothers care needs. They offer many activities for the residents including outings. It is an older community and not quite maintained as well as it could be. The community would benefit from some updating and better up keep.

Very friendly, kind and helpful. Will definitely would recommend to others

Spoke with Star. She was extremely helpful in figuring out my mother's long term car policy. She also called to follow up afterwards to see if she could help further.

I don't get much for the amount that I am paying

At Brookdale Shadowlake I feel like I don't get much for the amount that I am paying. At least in my opinion. I would have expected considerably more for the price. The staff is always asking for additional items.

Caring staff

The staff is very caring and friendly here. The building is always clean and nice smelling and well maintained. The nursing staff is also very nice and really make the residents feel at ease. So far, a great experience

Pleased with the salesperson

I was absolutely pleased with the salesperson. I cannot really speak on anything other than what the salesperson told me, but it was a great experience.

Good Experience

It was a good experience with Brookdale Shadowlake. Overall we are really pleased with the facility.

Gracious and Patient Service

First, I only resisted putting five stars because I'm not sure what an absolutely perfect Senior care center might look like. But I have no criticism.

We placed a colleague in respite care. It was supposed to last a little over 3 weeks, but a health crises required us to end his care at Brookdale Shadowlade before the alloted time was up.

I was especially pleased with the facility and the gracious care of the staff. I was out of town when our friend was under Brookdale's care, so I did not witness the care directly, but from my agent I gathered it was very good. My request for residency had to be processed quickly and the staff was very patient and did all they could, given the usual glitches, to get the process completed.

Regarding cost per mo.: my friend did not plan to stay a month and stayed even less, and so not sure what price per month would have been but I do know that it cost approx. $2,000.00 less than other facilities we checked

Very good service and very good value.

Very good service and very good value. The location is excellent. The food is excellent as well. I would absolutely recommend the Brookdale Shadowlake. The facility is very clean. Everyone there is very friendly. They have been very welcoming. I am really pleased with the Brookdale. Everything here is excellent. I don't have any issues or concerns. Everything has been going smoothly. This is a five star place.

This is a nice place, set up differently than the other places I've seen. Just didn't work for my current needs.

It has been okay..

The Brookdale Shadowlake is pretty good. It has been okay. The only issue is that they are not very responsive. They were suppose to give me a call and they never called.

Nice facility with the memory care unit located in a separate, secure building. Normal range of services and activities for residents. Minor cosmetic repairs needed around the facility but no major complaints.

Keep your eyes on them and visit regularly for better care

The GM....Jessica is very interactive when you need help.....Mom lived in memory care bldg. 1.....daytime head caretaker there is very interactive with all residents....and has activities for them ....they have 3-4 people on staff during daytime, but at night it is only 2 aides, for 15 to 18 people... not enough staff to help residents.....many are left sitting in wet diapers, staff sitting at tables on cell phones or in office on phone.....told a nurse was on staff in blding 1...NOT...night nurse is on staff in another blding and only comes when called. told they check on everyone every two hrs. thru the night..if that was the case why was my mom peeing on the floor hiding her wet diaper under the bed, not found by caregivers the next day/morning but by family member......Have recently brought mom home and found she had acquired some very bad habits ie; eating with her hands, spitting food onto the floor, not needing to go to the toilet (she states "girls told me I had to wait and sit there") would not go to toilet, sat in wet diaper all day, getting out of bed @ 4am ( can not walk ) and peeing on the floor. Glad to say now she is home she asks to go to the longer pees on the floor... eats with utensils now....and is learning how to walk again.... Even though mom has dementia there are things she says that are just to hard not to believe ......she is more cognizant than any of the patients in the memory care unit as well as more active.

security needs to be improved

Security really needs to be improved at Brookdale Shadowlake. My mother in laws cell phone was stolen shortly after moving in there and it has not shown up since. Ever since then she has not felt very safe there, and then there are doors that are supposed to be locked that never are, which just further compounds the problem. It's a clean place with friendly people, but there are definitely some areas for improvement, especially with security.

very thankful

One of the things I like so much about Brookdale Shadowlake (which was a key factor in our decision) is the size. It is a small home like place, which is what we wanted and really like.

The people here (both the staff and the residents) are very friendly. Many of them (again, both staff and residents) have actually been here for 10 years or more, so you know it's good!

We are very thankful, and would highly recommend Brookdale Shadowlake.

Review of Brookdale Place Shadowlake Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Houston, TX

Keely left for lunch? Facility just 'OK', not great.

Review of Brookdale Place Shadowlake Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Houston, TX

Mother lived her a couple of years ago. The facility is nice. The community is not very active. Some of the residents were not very nice to my mother.

Of the four we visited with...

Of the four we visited with mom this was the close number three. The setting was good just not the one we chose.

Small 18 bed unit. Very ni...

Small 18 bed unit. Very nice staff. All people I saw were much worse off than mom and could not communicate with each other. $4100/mon

The people have been very good, the place has been very good.

They are good, but I don't know if he is not allowing them to do somethings, or what, like bathing and shaving, or if they just aren't doing it. The people have been very good, the place has been very good. The food has been good, it's fresh and they take a lot of care, and they have a choice. Medication management is an extra cost. We liked the location of the available room. The rooms are very spacious. They have high ceilings and ceiling fans, and they have closet spaces so it's very open and just a very nice room, and a very nice shower with a fold out peak shower seat, roll in with a wheelchair.

$1000/mth promo discount fo...

$1000/mth promo discount for 18 mnths $2550/mth.

Nice facility but staff did...

Nice facility but staff didn't seem engaged with the residents.

Clean and friendly staff, b...

Clean and friendly staff, but feel there aren't enough caretakers / supervision for the residents. Liked the rooms.

Good Value

I think all those types of places could be better but it's good. We feel like it's been a pretty good value becuase they were running a special when we signed up - $1000 off for 18 months!

There are 2 people at the building during the day hours and 1 at night but a lot of the times the staff doesn't interact with the residents very much - some are more proactive than others.

Overall it's pretty good. The food is pretty good and the layout is good. My mom is pretty easygoing so she doesn't really complain. She's been there for a few months and she seems to like it.

Good Presentation

I think it's small, it's clean, well carpteded and overall it makes a very good presentation.

Helen took us on a tour. Ha...

Helen took us on a tour. Have one room for the $1450 rate. Price is good for 18 months. 30 residents in this cottage. 3 cottages and 1 memory care unit. She can have her cat here. Very similar to the Atria.

We like this one very much.

We like this one very much.

Very helpful and useful information f...

Very helpful and useful information from the director. We liked the small, intimate feel of the campus. This would be a nice place if Mom moves to Houston.

Brookdale Place Shadowlake provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.