Brookdale Memorial Oaks - Houston, TX

Brookdale Memorial Oaks - Houston, TX has yet not published prices.

Horrible Experience

We had a horrible experience during my fathers time in this community. We would be with him during day, but at night when he needed some help, it would take up to 20 minutes for someone to respond. We moved him out within 5 days. I would not recommend this community anybody.

A single room for dad.

I toured this community and the staff is nice. We liked the room but he did not want a room mate situation. The community was clean and the staff did answer the questions we had. I would recommend this community for other families seeking good qualities of this community.

A Friendly Atmosphere!!

What really caught my attention from this community was the positive interaction between the residents and the staff. . I like that they maintain the community clean. I usually have lunch with my loved one and it's good. If i do have concerns they usually will follow up with me. One thing that they could improve on would be to offer more activities.

I Took A Tour!

Brookdale Memorial Oaks has resident transportation available. They offer various outdoor and indoor activities. The tour guide that showed me around was attentive and showed me the whole community including their dinning room. I liked the up-kept and organization of it.

A Few Issues, But This Is A Nice Community

Coming from out of state we had a few issues at the beginning with client intake and medication. The director and his management team have provided us with the assistance we needed to remedy the problems to place my mother in the memory unit with no limitations. Other than those issues it has been a good experience. The care staff here is wonderful. They are taking very good care of my mother and all of her needs. They have been very helpful and informative to me as well by making suggestions on what my mother may need. Mother is participating and working on many of the activities they offer throughout the day. The meals are presented nicely, and my mother is pleased with the taste of the food. They are providing her with great care but also with kindness and assistance she needs to adjust to her new community. I feel confident that my mother will be taken care of in a professional and loving way. This is a community I would recommend to anyone whose parents are in the stages of dementia or Alzheimer's.

We would recommend Brookdale Memorial Oaks!!

My parents have been at this community for a few weeks and so far things are good. My parents speak Spanish and there are a few staff members that speak Spanish and help them. They like to participate in some exercise classes that are offered. The food is ok and the community is clean inside and out.

not right

told my wife if she paid by the 3rd at Brookdale she had a discount $4200 a month, sent her a letter cutting cost to $3450 a month . Her brother passed away now they want more money.

Some things need working on

Some things need working on at Brookdale Memorial Oaks. I cant be specif on things but overall I am not pleased. The facility is clean. That's about all I can say.

Facility Not Ready to Operate Funcionally

The property is under new management. The management in place is not ready to operate the facility as needed. The infrastructure of the facility is not very good. There is too much turnover with the caregivers/employees.

I think it's working out well, so far.

I think it's working out well, so far. They are trying to do what they can. Their follow up with us has been good. We aren't in the same area, so it's difficult to be very thorough. All of her friends that have come to visit think things look pretty good though.

It's important to identify the nursing package before making a decision

It's important to identify the nursing package before making a decision. That was not the case with my mom. We anticipated that she would be able to self medicate and that her nursing cost would be minimal. The test that they applied to her ability to self medicate was somewhat unreasonable and ultimately we experienced an almost $400 a month increase in her care cost. The food is mediocre. Laundry has been lost. The new manager seems committed to resolving our issues.

During my tour I was not shown a model room but a current resident's, who was rather upset to return to her room to find a stranger there. Did not seem to have the same level of individual attention as other options.

An excellent choice for assisted living

Several sources had recommenced Emeritus/Brookdale Memorial Oaks, including my mother's physician, as being one of the best in Houston for a high level of assisted living care.
We found that to be true and have recommended this facility to several of our friends who have parents or grandparents in need of assisted living.
I compared it to several other assisted living facilities before choosing it and would definitely recommend to anyone looking for assisted care.

great staff

The staff has been really great. They are very friendly and accommodating. For example, my mom was once sharing a room with another lady and it did not work out well, and they really went out of their way to help get her in a better situation.

One area of improvement I can think of is that I think they could respond a little quicker when their emergency call thing is clicked. I know they have a lot of residents to care for though, but that is one thing I have noticed.

Overall though we are very happy. The food is good as well.

They are doing a pretty good job, as far as I am concerned.

They are doing a pretty good job, as far as I am concerned. The whole place is pretty clean, but in a shared room depending on the roommate you have, there can be some odors. The staff are pretty friendly, and the only concern is that the medication management had taken some time to get a schedule worked out. The food is good and they have plenty of activities. The only thing I would say is that the building is a little older, it hasn't been updated, it's been well maintained. I chose this because of the state program that they work with that gives assistance for the cost, after a certain period of time.

Friendly and caring staff

They've done a good job overall at Emeritus at Memorial. The staff are very friendly, and you can tell that they do their best to help the people they care for. My loved one always appears clean and well taken care of, and it makes me feel much better knowing she is in a caring and safe environment.

This is a closed knit one t...

This is a closed knit one that seems to need some updating or renovation to the rooms. Of the four we visited with my mom and wife, this was the early one that seemed to start in last place from the second visit of another place. It just didn't seem to work for us.

Very pleased with facility and service

Very pleased.

The price is good. This pl...

The price is good. This place would meet our needs. Nice place - nothing fancy.

Friendly and accommodating staff

So far they've done a good job at Emeritus at Memorial. It's a very clean, nice looking place, and the staff have all been very friendly and professional. They're very easy to work with and have been very accommodating of any requests we've had. There were a few issues at the start since I don't think they were entirely prepared for how high energy my loved one is, but things have since worked out fine.

Staff very helpful. Manager very dedi...

Staff very helpful. Manager very dedicated. Room size best I have seen for value. Possible improvement with food and washing.

tammy: $2500/mth semi priva...

$2500/mth semi private. 86 residents/35 staff.

Very nice looking community

We toured this location when we were looking into care options for our loved one. We actually preferred the look and feel of this location to the other Emeritus we selected, however they did not have availability for the types of rooms we wanted at the time of our search, and time was an issue. This is a very nice place, however, and I would give them top marks across the board!

Not Good

The care is poor. Their ratio is 1/20 so the people sit in their stuff for a lengthy period of time. They has some nut cases working there that would take the diaper off and not put another one on so there'd be a mess everywhere, and they'd try and charge you to clean it up. The place is super smelly. It's a nice guy that runs it, he can't help it. It's a big corporate deal. His hands are tied, they don't let him hire a lot of people. Even though it's assisted living, they will essentially keep you till you leave the world. It's not a pretty sight.

Affordable, nice, takes med...

Affordable, nice, takes medicareb

This place is beautiful. The staff i...

This place is beautiful. The staff is super friendly. The residents seem free and happy. The dementia and alz. unit was amazing. I spent a long time here. We just didn't have time to get him in here and we felt that he needs to be more self sufficient.

A Good Place for My Mom

My Mom started out in Assisted Living, because she had a pet. After her pet died, and with the encouragement of the directors, Mom was transitioned into Memory Care. She is SO much happier there. She is never alone (she had a private room in AL), and she never feels lost, because the care givers are always present. Even the other residents help each other out. There is genuine affection between Mom and her care givers. The relief I feel that she is well cared for is indescribable.
The facility is older and definitely has a "lived in" look, but it's clean, the food is good, and the care is attentive.

NO WAY! We toured this place. I didn...

NO WAY! We toured this place. I didn't like the feel of it just driving into the parking area. As we went into the front door, there were three unattended ladies in wheel chairs. They looked like they were in a far off place in their minds. No one was there attending them. No one was around. It was so sad. During our meeting with the Executive Director we were interrupted but another person looking for someone to serve as a notary witness. He put our meeting on pause and left the room to assist them. Very rude and unprofessional! The dining area was dark and quiet, everyone was eating in silence. This place has a very institutional feeling. It was dreary and depressing. I would never leave a loved one there.

$3,700/month - max is $4,000. $2,500 ...

$3,700/month - max is $4,000. $2,500 for assisted living. Claim to have Medicaid plan to ensure age in place.

possible-not as convenient

possible-not as convenient

A possibility. Property is older and...

A possibility. Property is older and, from a real estate standpoint, need updating but is well maintained. We liked the feel of the place. Homey.

Large facility with a small memory ca...

Large facility with a small memory care unit. Security high as the unit is locked. Liked the director of memory care, who has been there 18 years. Rooms are carpeted and have private baths. Clean, sunny unit--no odor. Meals only in DR, not in room. MC director says she expects caregivers to take a lot of time with the patients, encourage them, etc.

Very impressed with facility but more...

Very impressed with facility but more with staff. Light and friendly. Staff seemed caring. A definite possibility.

This was a great place, the people we...

This was a great place, the people were friendly and informative AND the food was very good...we are keeping our fingers crossed...Thank you!

I can see Mom living here! Large apt...

I can see Mom living here! Large apt., large green wpace w/trees, friendly staff, memory care unit very homey; 1 block from my workplace! Fees reasonable. I think this is the place.

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.

Houston is one of the most livable and senior-friendly cities in Texas. It has a lot to offer retired residents, from ample recreation and shopping opportunities to historic parks and large open spaces that are perfect for picnics and golf. The city has a barbecue tradition unique to itself, and a well-maintained public infrastructure that makes the city feel welcoming and well-cared-for. Brookdale Memorial Oaks rests just south of Houston's green belt, right next to some of the city's major north-south thoroughfares, which makes getting around easy for its residents.

Walkability: The Briarforest area where Brookdale Memorial Oaks is located earns a middle-tier walkability score from Walkscore. At 47 out of 100, it is necessary to have a car for many errands in this neighborhood.

Age: Briarforest is a relatively young neighborhood. Its median age is just 31.8 years, which is substantially lower than the 34.4 years for Texas.

Senior Housing: Despite its younger-than-average demographics, this neighborhood has several senior housing options. Tarrytowne and Treemont offer local retirement living, while Atria maintains a skilled nursing facility to the south.

Climate: Houston has a climate typical of East Texas. Long, hot summers, irrigated with fast-moving Texas thunderstorms, give way to very mild winters. The average daily high in Houston is 79.7 degrees, the low averages 60.2 degrees, and the area experiences an annual 49.58 inches of rainfall.

Veterans' Facilities: Briarforest is noticeably short on veterans' facilities, though VFW Post 8790 welcomes vets in the nearby Hedwig Village neighborhood.

Transportation

Buses and Trains: Houston's METRO service operates buses and trains throughout the city and the surrounding areas. Seniors ride at a discount, and monthly passes are available.

Taxis: Many taxi companies offer their services to the Houston area, though it's rare to see one on the street without a fare. Calling Yellow, Checker or one of the other companies in town is the best way to arrange a ride.

Ridesharing: Houston has many independent Uber and Lyft drivers, who can be summoned with a few taps in those companies' downloadable apps.

Health and Safety

Hospitals: Briarforest sits in the middle of a cluster of hospitals and medical centers, including the large facilities at Memorial Hermann, Kindred, Methodist and Westbury. Specialized headache, psychiatric and children's hospitals also call the Briarforest area home.

Crime: Crime in this neighborhood is on the high side of national averages for property offenses and theft, though rates are lower than national figures for violent crimes and crimes against people.

Sports and Leisure

Golf: Western Houston is graced by a large and well-attended golf course at the Sharpstown Golf Club.

Tennis: Briarforest residents enjoy tennis, rain or shine, at the enclosed and climate-controlled facility at Westheimer Indoor Tennis.

Gyms: The area around Brookdale Memorial Oaks generally lacks fitness centers, which drives resdients looking for senior-friendly workouts as far as Planet Fitness way to the south, near Houston Baptist University.

Shopping and Entertainment

Groceries: The Briarforest neighborhood is filled with multiple locally owned grocery stores. Most of these are oriented toward the region's large Hispanic population, such as La Mihoacana and Fiesta Mart, which offers kitchen tools and household goods in addition to groceries.

Luby's: Briarforest is lucky enough to be graced with a Luby's restaurant, which greets hungry crowds from its convenient location just north of Interstate 69.

Other Restaurants: Briarforest, and Houston more generally, is one of the best places to be for authentic Texas barbecue and real Western cuisine. The city's Southern roots are honored by several Soul Food establishments around the area, while all of the same fast food and take-out options are as easy to get here as anywhere.

Movie Theaters: AMC Studio 30 operates a large location right in the middle of Briarforest, within easy walking distance of Brookdale Memorial Oaks.

Libraries: Briarforest residents have a choice between two large and well-appointed public libraries: Jungman Branch to the north, near Uptown, and Southwest Library in the southwest region of the city.

Religious Facilities

Religious Facilities: Houston is a city that welcomes people of every conceivable faith. Many area residents adhere to the Southern Baptist tradition, and large numbers of Catholic churches grace the south side. Methodist, Unitarian, and Jewish places of worship are all within a short drive of Brookdale Memorial Oaks, as are a couple of mosques and temples dedicated to the city's Hindu, Buddhist and Sikh residents.