Brookdale Durham - Durham, NC

Brookdale Durham - Durham, NC has yet not published prices.

This place was not bad. The 1 bedroom units were laid out well and they are doing renovations on them. The building is older, but not run down. Big dining room, section of town not bad. A little pricey, but not out of the running. One hallway smelled a little of urine, perhaps temporary. Only 2 small elevators, could be a concern with mobility.

Staff is incredibly kind and attentive

While my loved one was here everything was great. The staff is incredibly kind, they are very attentive, and there was not one moment where there was something that needed to be done and it wasn’t done. My loved one would tell me that she loves them as well. After some time my loved one was moved into hospice care and had to relocate. Unfortunately she had passed away now. When I called and spoke to the director here and told them about that they were telling me how much they loved her and everything. I believe that was a great experience and it shows me how much they paid attention to her. The facility itself was very clean. It was so clean yet it didn’t have that “institutional clean” smell. There are no complaints there with their cleanliness. All in all I would recommend this location to other families as well.

Administrators work very hard to help you

I chose this facility because of the location. It was very convenient for me to be able to visit my Mother. When I started my search for places last year, the administrator and his assistant made arrangements for my family and I to take a tour at 9 p.m. This was the only facility that was even willing to accommodate our needs. [Removed], that administrator, worked really hard and diligently to get my mom a respite bed within 4 hours. The staff members were all professional, positive, and considerate. They really understand the population that they serve. I would recommend this facility.

Great Staff!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken at this community for my mother. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions I had for them in detail. I thought they had a nice floor plan that was easy to navigate through as well as different amenities for the residents. It was just not the right location for my mom in the end decision.

Brookdale is a fantastic place for your loved one

Overall our experience with Brookdale was wonderful. [Removed] and the entire 3rd floor medical tech staff was outstanding. Very caring people and genuinely want what is best for all of the residents. We really felt like they were all part of our family and took great care of our grandmother during her short stay. They even had her eating things that she refused to eat for the past 40 years. And, she loved them! The chefs and the other kitchen staff members were very kind to her. She spoke highly of them often.

I do caution the use of Doctors Making House Calls which sounds like a really good thing but our experience was not the best. All I can say is stay on top of their services (Doctors Making House Calls) and have constant communication set up prior to them visiting your loved one.

A virtual tour

I did not get a chance to visit this community. This is an older location and I just felt by the pictures I saw that it would not work for my loved one. This community is pet friendly and they do accept medicaid.

Location Important

The Brookdale Durham is a nice establishment. The staff was friendly enough and answered all of our questions. We were looking for a place more bright and airy for my dad. The main reason we did not choose this community was the location. I would have to carve out time to be able to go and visit my dad.

Working To Keep Special Offered

Brookdale sent some teaser with specials for the cost. I showed it to my cousin who was in rehab and she liked the prices. There was a time crunch to get the special and had to make a deposit by February. I had a tour and discussed prices with [Removed]. I was under the impression my cousin qualified for the specials. On her recent bill none of the specials were on her sheet. The billing lady was excellent and adjusted the bill. It has just been hard fixing the communities error.

Decent Tour

I had a decent of this community. It is a nice community, but I didn't feel they were fit to care for someone with dementia.

Getting to know the place!

The staff has been very, very friendly and super nice. The food is high quality and the community has that home like feel that we wanted for my parents. The community is clean and neat always. My parents do say that they have a lot of activities they just are still transitioning.

Not the right tools!

I got to go on the tour and the staff was great. They were on top of everything. The only thing that scared me about the community was that they do not use hoyer lifts and that is what my husband needs. This just would not have been good for us.

We enjoyed our tour but we realized that mom is not really ready for assisted living.

The facility was very nice. The community, both staff and residents, made us feel welcomed. Had we not opted for independent living, this community would have been a good choice.

Good facility

Care team members are friendly. Requests are usually addressed promptly. Turnover is a challenge as each of three shifts requires multiple messages and repetition of requests for specific issues related to dad's care.
There have been some issues in getting dad's medications correct but this is to be expected with new residents and post doctor visits. Food is good but some monitoring required to ensure that it has been mechanically chopped, as required on fl-2.

Mom is making friends at Brookdale!!

The staff are pleasant and go out of their way to be helpful. The community has a family feeling to it. The staff try to involve her in activities. They offer daily activities such as bingo and music therapy. The community is clean and the housekeeping staff are pleasant. I would recommend this community.

Happy, caring environment

The staff was very caring and helpful when we moved my mother into the memory care facility. They kept her occupied and distracted so she didn't even realize we left. She seems to enjoy the activity at Brookdale and even likes the food.

Mom

Due to the lack of family in Illinois my mother has moved to Durham. She is now 5 mins. From family but the family we have found at Brookdale of Durham is wonderful. Mom is 100 years old and knowing there are people who care about her gives me peace of mind.

This may not be the best fit for a younger, more active senior.

This may not be the best fit for a younger, more active senior. They definitely have an older crowd here. The maintenance man is probably the nicest guy there.

Still working out the kinks

Unfortunately now is not the best time for a review. Our loved one moved in this year and we are still trying to get the simple things in order. Basic care and attentiveness are difficult tasks for the day shift.

Great place!

Things are going great with Brookdale Durham! The people here are very friendly and a great job looking after the residents. My Dad has shown a lot of improvement since he moved in!!

Going great

Everything is going great. They have been very responsive so far. There have been a few minor things here and there, but overall I would say that they have done a great job.

It was not good. She had a terrible experience there.

It was not good. She had a terrible experience there. They served her meals in her room, and gave her plastic forks and knives, and by the time they would bring her food it was cold. There was a medication error. There were some ladies that were very good, but there were several that were not very nice. The marketing director Missy, who I loved, has given her resignation. They seem to lose their good people. I would never recommend Brookdale to anybody. It was very expensive. I don't think their med techs are licensed.

It's seems to be going fine. The people are very nice.

It's seems to be going fine. The people are very nice. The food is excellent, they take great pride in their food. The have a chef that manages it, they try to make them interesting, there is variety. It's healthy food. Any concerns they have been right on top of it. They are always very kind. They are accommodating. It's a very nice place, and they have easy parking.

It's working out well so far.

It's working out well so far. The staff is friendly, and it's clean. The food is pretty good. We are pretty happy with them so far. We don't have any major complaints.

A caring place for Dad

The staff are helpful and were there to answer questions we had about the place and services. We looked at several places and this one felt the most comfortable to us. Right now my father is there and my mother will be joining him in the next month or so. There could have been more communication on how the care is administered so the transition would be easier. We moved Dad from a rehab/nursing home to here. There has been a period of adjustment for the whole family.

The rooms were nice...

The house – big brick building – like 70’s looked like an apartment building. The rooms were nice, very nice, but it was older. The staff seemed very.

We really liked them.

We really liked them. We liked the size of them, they were a smaller community. We also liked the location, it was convenient for us to visit. We were on the waiting list but ended up needing to move before there was an opening.

Carolina House of Durham - 3.5 stars

Overall we're pleased with this community. It is attractive and the med tech care is great. They are friendly and attentive to my dad's care needs. He is well taken care of medically, and they contact me if there are any concerns with his care. Food service is great, and my dad enjoys the meals and variety.

In terms of management, there are some communication issues between sales, resident services and billing, as we are still working to resolve a move-in incentive that was incorrectly billed. The business director is terrific, and is always friendly and helpful.

The facility itself is attractive, and activities engaging. Cleanliness of the resident rooms could be improved, and there should be more interactions between residents and management. My dad likes it here, and we are pleased overall.

Very friendly

Very friendly

I don't have much experience with sen...

I don't have much experience with senior communities, so this is more my opinion than a comparison, but I think they do a great job here! All of the staff are incredibly friendly, and are as welcoming and compassionate to family members who visit as they are with the residents. The facility itself is very nice looking, and always well kept and clean. Really my only complaint is that I feel like they could have a bit more variety in the activities.

Improvement Ideas

My biggest concern is the housekeeping. You have to ask to get light housekeeping and it does not appear to be done on a weekly basis. There is something on the air vents in the hall that looks like black mold and their overall grade is a 92.

This is the place to go!

After much soul searching my family decided Mom needed full time care which we were not able to provide. We were so pleased with our interview and tour of the residence and community. We were actually excited about the prospects Carolina House offered Mom that she had not had in a while. She had been with full-time caregivers; she could now have a little independence. We are so pleased with the programs and activities offered at Carolina House. The administration and staff are kind and genuinely caring. We have been nothing but pleased.

it seemed to be a very nice place

it seemed to be a very nice place

I really liked, however I am concerne...

I really liked, however I am concerned that Dad's needs will price me out of the market for this location. They charge a fee for the room then fees for services needed ie, dressing, bathing, incontinence care, escort to dining and other functions, etc. Currently they have a corner "apt" open, but he could move to companion suite when one opens, which would save a lot. May send someone over to access Dad's needs, and cost, prior to making final decision.

Brookdale Durham provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.