Carillon Assisted Living of Durham - Durham, NC

Carillon Assisted Living of Durham - Durham, NC has yet not published prices.

We’re moving

Im afraid I cannot give a positive review. The facility looks good. It’s clean and the rooms are fine. I spent five days visiting my sister at Carillon. She has only been there since the middle of September and all I’ve heard from her and from her friends who frequently visit her is that she has been extremely unhappy there. She kept complaining about the food especially about there not being any choice in what was offered. I ate with her two times, once for lunch and once for dinner. I wasn’t sure what I was eating at dinner and both had to be two of the worst dining experiences I’ve ever had and I’m someone who doesn’t mind airplane food.

The other issue for me was the sense of how unhappy the aides are. Some of them obviously are doing the best they can but seem to lack training or support to know how or have time to care adequately for an elder who has dementia. My sister is in the early stage. She can look and sound like she is capable of caring for her own needs but all one has to do is look at her to know she wouldn’t be able bathe herself completely without some help. She will tell you she doesn’t need or want help but she has a physical disability as well as the dementia that requires assistance from someone with at least basic knowledge of how to successfully along with the time to do so. This wasn’t happening at Carillon.

When I told the new manager and head nurse my concerns and that I’d been able to find another place for my sister they asked me to give them three weeks to correct everything. I appreciated their attempts and could see they are doing their best. However, my sense is this amount of trouble is not something that can actually be corrected in just three weeks. This goes beyond just the workers or even the head staff. This reflects corporate policy. So I am moving my sister. I sincerely hope the two women who are now in charge can turn things around but I can’t afford to leave my sister there while they try to do so.

Wonderful place

Great place feels like home very clean and staff is wonderful I would reccomend to anyone

This has to be the worst facility to put a loved one in. There is always a shortage of caregivers and the turn over if unbelievable. The smell of urine hits you before you even enter into the "Garden Area". The cost is high considering the lack of good care that is given. Many falls with patients.
I can count on 1 hand at most responsible workers there and trust me NONE are in management. Fake, non caring, all about the dollar facility. STAY AWAY if its someone you love.

Toured facility. Wonderful! Top Notch ....We could not afford but wish we could.

Nice and new, but not enough help.

It was a newer place and it looks nice, but they don't have enough help. Especially in the memory care area. The person that shaved him, didn't shave him well. They were nice to talk to, but there just wasn't enough of them, and they aren't paid very well. I did like that they put some odor guard on the lights in the bathroom where the residents couldn't reach, but it really helped to combat the odors.

I toured this community.

I toured three communities when searching for the right place. I don’t want to share much, but I liked the other two better.

Residents at our Durham assisted living community choose from a range of living accommodations to suit their tastes and individual needs. Every residence comes with Carillon’s fine furnishings and amenities, and residents are also free to use their own furniture and accessories for their new home as they wish. Outside of their own luxurious living areas, seniors at Carillon Assisted Living of Durham enjoy spacious, elegantly decorated common areas, including Southern style sun rooms, covered porches and trellis patios. The dining room is both formal and welcoming, each table carefully set with crisp linens and elegant dinnerware. Residents enjoy Carillon’s beautiful grounds and gardens that are fully in bloom throughout the year. Another thing that sets Carillon Assisted Living of Durham apart from other senior homes in the Durham area is our community itself.