Bluemont Park - The Potomac - Arlington, VA

Not a bad community

ThIs has been a pretty good community so far. The food is good and they do keep the community clean. The only complaint I have is that this community has an older heating and air system and you are not able to run both at the same time. The staff have been friendly and helpful.

Pleasant atmosphere

My husband had to transfer into assisted living very quickly when he became paralyzed after a fall, so we had little time to find a place for him. Sunrise at Bluemont Park were the first people to call me after I had contacted [Removed] at a Place for Mom on the advice of a friend, and after visiting I decided on them. He has only been there about two months, but overall we are quite pleased with the services: the food is very good, and the care given by the aides. Most of our problems have been outside the purview of Sunrise (such as the procuring of a wheelchair which fits my husband), but we were disappointed not to be able to use the facility's transport to get him to medical appointments and have had to find other resources for that. I think we're still getting used to the place, but settling in quite well so far.

Getting All Settled at This Community

So far my mother is settling into this community well. I'am pleased with her move to this community, she is doing well. I know she is safe and good hands. They are providing her with good care. Overall it has been a pleasant experience, and I would recommend this community. It is a nice community.

Good Care and value

This is a great community. They offer great activites that she is very please with. The food is very good and nice variety. The staff is caring, patient and friendly. We would recommend this community to others.

In general ok

[Removed] was very accessible and helpful during the sale/contracting process. The Bluemont nurse was able to travel to Maryland to interview the new resident and that was very helpful. It took a while to get everything lined up for move in , dealing with the forms and the insurance company was a bit tedious--not the fault of Bluemont. The appartment was ready on time with a few adjustments needed. The resident was very disappointed in the food but that is typical of most institutions. We managed to get the month of August discount which was helpful

The staff is wonderful with my mother. It feels just like family there!

Friendly, caring staff

Our experience with Bluemont Park has been a positive one, overall! It is a nice place. The staff in general is made up of very kind, helpful people, and the nursing staff in particular seems very caring and professional! The facility is well kept and clean, the residents are well taken care of, and they do a good job with the food as well!

She was not happy there

She was not happy there at all. We had to go ahead and move her to another facility.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review; we are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more. Please email us at Information(at)SunriseSeniorLiving(dot)Com so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

staff are all very responsive

At Bluemont Park-The Potomac- the staff are all very responsive. Overall everything has gone well at this facility. It's been an all around good experience. There have been a few hiccups but nothing worth making mention of.

Really a nice setting on a hilltop with beautiful old growth trees, quiet, staff is cheerful/helpful, very clean and lots of natural light. Lots of activities on the schedule. The rooms we were shown were nice, studio apartments are a on the small side in my view, especially for the price.

would not recommend this facility

my mother was a resident here...the care managers were very helpful but the administration was terrible. very unresponsive and incompetent . also thought that it was expensive for the services provided. thought that they were always looking for ways to increase your bill....rates where always going up...would not recommend this facility...

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email [removed] with further details. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Seemed like a nice place

We looked into this community when we were searching for options for a loved one. I thought this was a nice looking place. It was clean and well kept, and the staff seemed friendly. We decided to make it our backup choice, if the first pick didn't work out, they are definitely worth a look!

Not What We Were Looking For

I wasn't' impressed with. It was sort of old, dilapidated. It just didn't have the facilities that we were looking for.

Sunrise Senior Living

Hi Barbara, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We aim to provide a top-quality home-like environment for our seniors. If you could, please email us at our Information inbox at [removed] so we can learn more. Thank you! Sunrise Team

In transition

Things are going really well, my parents are still currently in the respite, I'm sure we're going to be looking at a contract sometime in the next months. We've only been there a couple of weeks, the cleanliness is great, the staff has been wonderful, at times it's been a little bit reactive rather than proactive. We're still trying to figure out whose in charge of what sometimes. The care manager's been great, the physical therapy's been great, just right now they're going through a major transition. Two of their directors just left and have gotten promoted so they're in limbo right now. From what I understand they've fileld the main director's position but they have to go through a two week training program; so they're really in a major transition, but I guess that's pretty typical in this location. The dining room is great, we love the outdoor seting, we love the park next dorr, we love their apartment, it's so nice, lots of windows, lots of light, it's very comfortable and we have loved those aspects of it.

Parents love the staff

My parents are very happy here, the staff is what they like the most about it. THey go to the movies, the church groups and my dad has a therapist that they have on site that comes up and works with him. They really like the food.
Improve [removed] Thier billing initially takes a while to get situated, they didn't charge my mother as a second person for 3 months so you get low bills and then really big ones, so getting that streamlined from the beginning would be nice, but it all worked out in the end. There's also limited parking, so for visiting, if you pay the amount then the person can reserve a sport but since they don't drive we didn't get them parking. So it's difficult but there's a park across the way where you can park and then just walk over.

Only there for rehab

I was there just for rehab so I was there for different reasons than the other people. They try, but they can't control what happens each day and they have these people that have all different needs and sometimes the services are better than other. For quite a while when I was rehabing I had to have help getting dressed, for a while I was one handed, most of the time they would come to do things on a timely manner but sometimes they would not. The other part is that the service on the weekends was defintiely not as good during the week but that had to do with who they had on duty and the amount of people they had on duty. Again, since I couldn't do anything I really had to have meals, there wasn't a whole lotta time between breakfast and lunch and you couldn't expect a whole lot to eat after 6. The food was decent but the best way to express it is it served my purpose and left some things to be desired. I may sometime end up in a retirement home but I will not end up here.

Sunrise Senior Living

Hi Don - We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We’d like to learn more about your concerns, as well as invite you back to try another meal on us and experience Sunrise Signature Dining. Please contact us at [removed] –The Sunrise Team

Went to this place on the 3rd. Very n...

Went to this place on the 3rd. Very nice place but it exceeded my budget.

Considering this one.

Considering this one.

The setting is lovely..more in the wo...

The setting is lovely..more in the woods. History is taken of residents so they are seated at dinner with persons of similar backgrounds. Hallways are well lit and generally, it is a facility that is well thought out for visually impaired persons. My mom was very impressed. Kitchen was well lit. Residents seemed happy. Extended care is in house and not out sourced like I was told the Sunrise Jefferson is. Alert system worn by resident! Fire safety is very well planned. They have snacks in between breakfast and lunch and then again between lunch and dinner!

very possible -- downsides are small ...

very possible -- downsides are small bathroom and no closets at all. I like the levels of care available and the setting.

The facility is quite acceptable. Bu...

The facility is quite acceptable. Building and gardens are pleasant and the neighborhood very nice. Other properties have to be visited and cost and facility comparisons be made.

Finalist