Grand Oaks - Washington, DC

Insincere, Unresponsive, Lying, Cheating - Great Food.

This is a beautiful building located in a lovely neighborhood, however everything about this place is about $$$. Pricing starts with $10,000/month and they negotiate downwards depending on who you know. The staff are unresponsive and will say anything to get you to sign a contract and then leave you until family arrives at which time, they will put on a beautiful show. Insincere, unresponsive, lying, cheating, staff. On the plus side, the food is great and the apartments are nice.

We found my relative on the floor, alone for who knows how long, after a fall. What would have happened if we didn't live nearby and check on her?

One of my top choices!!

This community was one of my top choices out of all the different tours we had taken. All of the staff where very welcoming and kind to my loved one and I during our visit. I liked the wide floor plan they had and how open everything was in the building. i would recommend this place to anyone looking into retirement for there loved one.

Moved my husband here recently. They have been so wonderful and helpful. Thank you.

"A PLACE TO RECOVER; A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO RESIDE"

During my three month respite stay at Grand Oaks, I was treated with respect; genuine care for my well-being and my complete recovery; and warmth and friendliness that was sincere and very much appreciated by me.

The Grand Oaks staff was, without exception, courteous and willing to help when I needed it. From nursing to physical therapy; recreational activities; restaurant and maintenance employees and all administrative personnel, the competence and service were of the highest levels and I now consider many of the people I met during my three month stay as friends.

The surroundings at Grand Oaks are first rate, The apartments are well laid out and furnished. I was particularly impressed with the cleanliness of facilities across the board, from private accommodations to all common areas. In fact, the public spaces--with comfy wing chairs and sofas to a roaring fireplace--made me feel more like I was at a first-class lodge in Williamsburg than a senior living residence in the Washington metro area. And the food at every meal, beginning with a hearty breakfast to a balanced and carefully prepared dinner ( with a myriad choices at all three meals! ) was delicious and truly "first class"--I'm living proof of that. . .I put on more than twenty pounds during my three month respite stay.

I've already been back a few times to visit my friends, both staff and residents, and I will give Grand Oaks my highest personal recommendation. And if I ever have the need for short term care or long-term recovery, I wouldn't hesitate to consider Grand Oaks as my first resource of choice.

David
Washington, D.C.

Excellent care and wonderful facility

My father relocated to DC ( from NJ) in October 2014.
He has resided there continuously since then.

Previously, he was in an independent care facility with private duty 18 hours a day. He hated having someone sitting there with him all day.

His experience at Grand Oaks has been wonderful. The staff are friendly, helpful, responsive and caring. My father requires assistance with all ADLs - except feeding. He is the highest level of care. The cost is much less than he paid for the private duty and he loves both the privacy and the socialization.

He engages in many of the activities and enjoys the dining room.

I visit at least three times a week - sometimes when the staff are not expecting me. At all times, he has been clean, comfortable and often engages in activities.

As with any facility, there have been some small concerns and all of these were resolved quickly and effortlessly in a day or two.

I have found both Laurie and Diane to be thoughtful, helpful and responsive.

It may seem like this review is "too good to be true" but I am a primary care physician and I know that my father has received wonderful care.

He has had multiple strokes and speech is difficult but he is always listened to and treated with the greatest respect.

His apartment is bright, clean and fully ADA accessible.

From our family's perspective - Grand Oaks is a real value - in terms of care, comfort, personal service, activities and simply providing a caring safe environment for my father .

Thomas

Grand Oaks Review

I am pleased to take this opportunity to write an enthusiastic letter of endorsement based on my experience at Grand Oaks. While my stay has not been lengthy (two months between surgical operations) it has given me sufficient time to know that this is an excellent facility of the highest quality. They have been there for me during trying times including helping me with urgent assistance as I had several relapses which required my short term re-hospitalization.

I don't know how they do it, but everyone on the staff knew who I was from the first day. The facilities are clean and upscale, the nursing and support staff on top of their game, and all of the support personnel including the dining room staff supportive and cheerful. I do not know if some day I shall return here for the long haul, but I am sure that would not be a mistake. Thank you Grand Oaks for a job well done!

My Mom loves all her caregivers at Grand Oaks.
They are warm and friendly. She is happy there and is 95 now!

Grand Oaks the Sibley Golden Goose

The Grand Oaks Assisted Living facility is being used by the Johns Hopkins Sibley Hospital Foundation as a golden goose. Leadership has no interest in developing a warm, inviting, caring, safe place for residents and their families. The institution's priorities are clear: charge outrageous rates ($12,000+/month?!) and provide minimal service for most residents while focusing "development" efforts on the few residents who might bequest large endowments to the hospital. If the executives actually cared about service to the residents they would pay their staff a decent wage rather than using the profit to pay for the new hospital construction, invest in the physical infrastructure at Grand Oaks (every time we visit there's a broken elevator or maintenance issue) and adopt a comprehensive culture of integrity. Our family would not recommend Grand Oaks unless you have a large endowment to buy the special attention.

Oasis at Grand Oaks is a Gem

My husband spent 60 days in the Oasis unit of Grand Oaks and experienced their care plus the PT and OT offered by the Legacy group ( on site at Grand Oaks). The staff embodies the true meanings of caring, respect, kindness, professionalism and competence. My husband's improvement was significant and the cognitive and physical health he achieved would have been unthinkable if he had remained at home.

Our father has benefited from attentive, kind staff at all levels at Grand Oaks. The varying requirements and preferences of the residents demand meticulous record-keeping, cheerful interactions, and creative environments around the building -- all of which Grand Oaks provides. The resources for care from Sibley Hospital and John Hopkins Hospital give this type of living an extra boost of "assistance" which is appreciated by residents and families alike.

Not Worth the High Cost

The management and staff have undergone massive turnover recently (3 executive directors in 2 years, 2 directors of nursing, the activities director was gapped for 9 months, head of dining gapped for extended period). The rates are outrageous given the level of service (over 10k a month). Notice was just given that rates will increase again next month. They currently have almost a third vacancy because of the high price and low quality. We will be moving soon.

cballan1

I would love to speak with you about these concerns. The majority of our management team has been together over a year. We have made changes in the last few years to increase staffing and continually improve the services to our residents. Grand Oaks has not distributed rate information for 2016, I would be interested in reviewing anything you have received. Please contact me directly so I can personally review these concerns with you. ( [removed] )

Regards,
Laurie Henley
Executive Director

Wonderful place!

My mother stays in Grand Oaks when she comes to Washington from New York (for periods lasting up to a couple of months at a time). We are very happy with the facility and, more importantly, with the warm and caring staff and management. Grand Oaks feels like home and avoids the 'institutional' ambiance so common in senior living places. We have experience with several such facilities...of which Grand Oaks is the best!

Good experience at Grand Oaks

I spent a month at Grand Oaks last summer, while visiting my son and his family in DC. I was very pleased with the rooms, food and care given by Grand Oaks. Everyone was lovely to me and they did everything possible to make my stay comfortable. The food was good and they will bring it to your room if you desire. My apartment was quiet and comfortable and the caregivers were great. Medical care is available if necessary. Grand Oaks also has a very good activity program and physical thearpy is available if needed. I plan to stay at Grand Oaks for my next visit to DC

Urge caution

Don't be fooled by the elegant common rooms. In most senior facilities, if there are ethical issues, the problem is with the aides. Not at Grand Oaks. The aides are for the most part, very kind, and trying to do their best. There have been very serious problems with the management. Previous management was found out of compliance with the law, especially regarding Individual Service Plans. The entire management team was replaced, the new team headed up by Paul Kelly, who worked very hard to rectify the problems. He has left. I would be very cautious with his replacement. Cannot recommend at all.

overpriced and underwhelmed

Many residents rooms and even common areas were not clean. The price is exorbitant for the service being given. One resident has hardly left his room and has trouble moving but the staff barely checks on him. Definitely not recommended.

cballan1

Thank you for your feedback. I would love to speak with you about your observations. Please feel free to contact me at [removed].
Sincerely,
Laurie Henley
Executive Director

We weren't very impressed.

We were surprised because we thought it would be like the Caddilac of communities, based on the price. It is extremely expensive. We weren't very impressed. When we went to look at one of the rooms the woman who lived in it wasn't very clean and it just wasn't very impressive otherwise either.

Ridiculously expensive

Grand Oaks is the most expensive place in the DC area, they offer the same services as other facilities. I would recommend this place for my loved one because it is very close to my home and is adjacent to Sibley Memorial Hospital which is important to us. Grand Oaks was recommended to me by others and I would be comfortable suggesting Grand Oaks to my loved one when they are ready for assisted living.

They have field trips to cultural ven...

They have field trips to cultural venues and bring concerts into their facility! Spa on site; connected to Sibley Hospital.

Grand Oaks Assisted Living is in a residential setting in Northwest Washington, D.C. on the campus of Sibley Memorial Hospital. We pride ourselves in our gracious surroundings, our gourmet dining and our high level of care, including on-site nurses and personal care providers 24 hours a day, all with the Sibley assurance of quality. Come and try out our cuisine on your tour of our elegant community.