Sunrise of Alexandria - Alexandria, VA

Small and nice community. Convenient to where we live. Friendly staff. Clean and well
Maintained. Limited menus choices

Not The Right Fit For My Wife, But My Tour Went Well

My tour of this community was a good one. This is a lovely community with kind people. The community from what I saw looked nice, everything appeared to be well-kept. Everyone was very kind, and friendly. My questions were answered, and the staff was pleasant. Unfortunately this was not the right match for my wife, and her needs. However my tour was a good one overall.

Just to Big

Sunrise was looked like a nice community and had they been willing to work with me on the pricing for my mothers 4-day respite stay I would have considered them. I did not feel that paying for 2 weeks instead of 4 days was worth it.

Nice staff and kindess

We toured this community. The staff was able to answer my questions. They had a nice menu and they had a good variety of good meals. They had some activities, but not a lot. The community was clean and maintained. This was nice community and families might consider a tour for care.

Staff members were excellent. They explained with great details. Facility was nice also, very clean.

Nothing Seemed Bad On My Tour

The sales representative Antoinette, was very, very warm and likable. The community seemed good and the cleanliness seemed fine. I did not see anything alarming or inadequate, it was a good tour. The residents seemed clean and not neglected. My dad would have been comfortable.

Review of Sunrise of Alexandria - Alexandria, VA

I will be moving my mom here soon. Very nice facility and very friendly staff.

Terrible

Run away from this place please.

I toured here. It looked and seemed to be a much nicer place.

I toured here. It looked and seemed to be a much nicer place. [removed] They were also a lot more expensive, even for a shared room.

The care being received is not worth the cost

Sunrise of Alexandria is not going well. The care being received is not worth the cost of it. Overall it has not gone well. I am actually looking for another facility right now.

We have had a lot of issues and frustrations with Sunrise

We have had a lot of issues and frustrations with Sunrise of Alexandria. It's very nice and clean, and the people seem friendly. However there is a severe lack in communication. We have had numerous billing issues. My loved one has fallen a few times, and their response has not been ideal. I have a hard time getting anyone to return my calls, or get back to me to discuss incidents.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. Please know we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving(dot) com with further details so we may follow up.

Sunrise Team

seems to be happy

He seems to be happy at Sunrise of Alexandria. I'm very happy with everyone there. In comparison to our retirement community that we live in ourselves I think the value is really good. My children go to visit him there and they seem to think it is a good facility. So far so good here.

Looked like a nice place

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. We toured and ended up selecting another Sunrise community, but this is somewhere I would have considered as an option for my loved one!

excellent

From the beginning of the process everything with Sunrise of Alexandria has been excellent. They were very accommodating to our needs. My only wish would be that the facility was more treed. Overall it has been a very good experience.

We were recently billed for over $1000 in medications ordered by Sunrise staff without notice to us, which should have been provided by the VA. There appears to be a breakdown in communications/policy in the office of the health care manager.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. Please email us further details so we can follow up with you via Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com. We take all concerns such as this one seriously and would like to learn more. Thanks, Sunrise Team

Friendly and helpful staff

Even though my friend was belligerant to them, the staff remained patient and pleasant to him. The facility is always clean when I come by, and the food is pretty good too.

My brother was not thrilled with this...

My brother was not thrilled with this one. He didn't get good vibes from it and it didn't look as clean, he said there were lots of old people sititng around and sleeping and basically being ignored and he didn't like that. It was pretty comparable to Spring Hills with pricing, but they wouldn't accept her military presciptions (she had to pay for theirs) so with the added medicine fees and us having to go and take her to the doctor this wasn't a good fit for us.

Way too expensive

This was fine, there was no smell, but first of all, the room that my mom would have been in was soooo tiny and it was sooo expensive. I don't know what the other Sunrise would have been like but since they're all managed by the same company I assume it would have been similar. What killed us is what they charged for each medication each day and for each visit. At other places the medication management is worked into the levels of care and this charged you for each injection.
When I toured there were a bunch of people playing bingo in the dining room but there was no way that was all the residents. I didn't see anybody else, it was dark and it seemed less happy than the other one.

A nice community setting for those who just need a little help

My mother stayed at this facility for a couple months. The care she needed was really more than they were equipped to deal with (despite the fact they stated in writing they were ready for her) Most of the staff is friendly, but we had several bad experiences with at least two of the caregivers and had to ask they not be assigned to mom. The nurse seems a bit overwhelmed at times, and isn't the 'go out of my way to help' type that we found in other Sunrise communities. Overall it is clean, safe, and has a nice community with activities every day. Well suited for those who just need a little extra help, but not equipped for those who have had a serious stroke or similar mobility related issue.

My Aunt is Doing Well

The thing I would like to add, because many of their patients have dementia, they're losing their glasses, hearing aid and teeth so I'd like some type of insurance that would help cover the cost because they're constantly losing stuff. Currently they do not cover things like that.

They do shopping and go and visit historical sites and museums. They have spiritual services and sing alongs and something similar to a class that deals with English and math. I think it's just really to help them with their memory and then of course they do yoga and some type of exercise.

My aunt seems to be doing very well there. She's adjusting a lot better than I though she would. I found they had the facilities there that could take care of her better than I could.