The Jefferson - Arlington, VA

Mom's happy

My mother has lived at The Jefferson for a number of years. It's always a big transition at first and she tried to bolt for the first six months. However, she now says that it's perfect for her and she appreciates all the services/amenities/staff. I commend the management for being creative, responsive and in-tune with geriatric study. The activities are way over the top -- can't even list everything from exercise to outings to games/lectures...so much. Staffing is always an issue in this type of living, but there is a lot of stability and many staff members go totally out of their way to know residents and offer a smile...many many. She was very worried about the cost -- seemed like she was paying a lot per month compared with her expenses in her own home. However, when you look at all you get for the cost, even she agrees that it is a great value for her.

Small apartments. Building doesn't appear clean. Needs painting of doors and hallways and straightening of the activities room in SNF - the book/game shelves were a mess. SNF small but expensive.

Nobody from The Jeffterson contacted me after the appointment was set up. When I arrived with a friend, no one knew we had an appointment. The person in charge of tours was not in that day. A helpful woman stepped in and took us around. The apartments were a good size, but none that we saw had a walk-in/roll-in shower. The facility appeared to have the basics, including access to a good PT staff. We didn’t see any residents, so I can’t assess whether it was a happy place, or how the staff interacted with residents. My overall impression was that the place was dreary, and more expensive than a nearby assisted living facility.

Sunrise Senior Living

Good Afternoon - Thank you for sharing your tour experience and are sorry to hear it was not a positive one. We would like to learn more about your tour & if you used our online scheduled to potentially schedule the appointment. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

The person we were scheduled to meet with at 10:00 was not available, but the manager on duty gave us a tour. Very nice facility.

Pleasant surroundings, good food, nice staff,great location, but very expensive.

My husband was at Jefferson for rehab. I checked into purchasing a condo at that time, but was put off by the monthly required charge -- very high, and together with the condo purchase price, monthly fee, real estate taxes (low, but an additional charge) it added up to a considerable amount And, on checking further, I learned that if you die or leave the community, the monthly fee continues to be charged even if no-one is living in the condo while it is on the market. Definitely a big obstacle for me.

I don't know what the charges are for assisted living or Alzheimers care. The rehab physical therapy staff were excellent, the caregivers were very nice, but the nursing and medical care left a lot to be desired.

My mother was here for rehabilitation. They discharged here because they said she couldn't do the physical therapy because of a shattered leg and not being able to put weight on it. After discharged and upon being admitted to another care center we found out it was in her orders from her doctor to do weight therapy. The care was not consistent. The response time could have been faster, it would take 10-15 minutes sometimes. Also after discharge they were supposed to get her a medical bed and it took two months. I don't think I should have to pay for the charges we accrued here because they didn't do anything to help her.

Sunrise Senior Living

Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving(dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you, Sunrise team

Happy Community

We moved into a great community. They are offering us to participate in the activities that are offered, but we have not been able to join in yet. The staff is great and very helpful. We would recommend others to move into a great community.

Review of The Jefferson - Arlington, VA

The is a very nice setting furniture in the common areas is nice. Very strong smell of chlorine when you walk into the lobby but since the pool water us kept at 92 degrees all that chlorine is necessary. Dining room smelled greasy. But buying into this having to pay the monthly fee and an HOA fee doesnt seem like a good idea. For looks and amenities I would rate it 4 stars but not for the financial end.

A very good choice of a senior living facility for those who like living in an urban location close to superb public transportation and other urban amenities.

Based on a relatively brief initial experience with The Jefferson, I regard it as a very good urban-located senior living facility. My initial overall rating is good but I see the potential over time for a rating somewhat higher than that. The calibre of the personnel is outstanding, the location near urban amenities and public transportation is superb, and the activities appear to be varied and interesting. The food selections are somewhat limited but there is variety on the menu and the quality of the food is generally very good. The onsite recreational facilities are decent but limited to a small swimming pool, a whirlpool bath, and a small exercise room. Overall, so far The Jefferson is a senior living choice with which I am quite happy.

Lovely place in an area with shops, Metro close by and variety of floor plans for living space. The food choices were tasty and ample! Met an enthusiastic resident while touring (in the beauty shop) who gives high marks after having lived in another facility.

positive experience overall

One areas for improvement would be that they could be a little better staffed. I have had to hire outside help to assist and stay with mom at certain times because they were not adequately staffed to fulfill the need themselves.

Other than that it has been a positive experience. The care givers are very friendly and are genuinely concerned about the welfare of my dad, as well as all the residents. The food is very good, and they do have a lot of good activities.

It was pretty but they weren't able to accommodate our needs.

It was pretty but they weren't able to accommodate our needs. I didn't know what the care would be like, but it was lovely. I have been told not to be swayed by the cosmetics, the care is what is important.

The Jefferson is Fantastic and Dignified

The Jefferson is a wonderful, dignified community. Unlike so many other communities, it feels like a vibrant, fun place to live from the moment you walk inside. The staff was so helpful and patient with us throughout the process.

One of the things that really worked for our situation, but may not work for everyone, is that it's a condo community. The salespeople at the Jefferson treated the whole process as a real estate transaction, treating my grandfather with the respect and professionalism you would expect of any other real estate transaction. That meant my grandfather felt like he was in control of this huge step into the next phase of his life; in so many other places, it felt like he was going to have to give up control.

The Jefferson Senior Living Facility in Arlington, VA

Great place for still active seniors as well as those who have started to slow down. The location is in the middle of an urban but not too "citified" area with shops, a mall, Starbucks and restaurants within walking distance. The facility itself is very nice, has a nice restaurant where my parents get one meal a day with the option to pick it up and bring to their very own condo. The condo units are built with the elderly in mind. A compact kitchen but with wide doorways to allow their walkers to easily pass through. The condo unit was a great value given this market (senior living) hasn't quite bounced back. The units are typically below condos in the same area because of the age and monthly fee restrictions. However they are currently going for as much as 3-4 times less. The monthly fees for two people are reasonable and include linen/towel change, 1x week cleaning, 1 meal per person per day, alert system in the unit and around the neck tokens for each resident, rides to local dr, banks, grocery, etc. and tons of daily activities on premise with field trips elsewhere in DC..

Didn't want to add on another property to the list

This looked good, it's one where you have to buy the apartment and then the family has to resell it afterwards and it just would have been a lot more effort than we needed at the moment. I didn't feel like buying another property when I'm still trying to sell their home and it also had a longer waiting list.

Nice

Nice

They only cater to individuals and no...

They only cater to individuals and not couples. My parents wouldn't fit in one of their rooms.

It's a very nice facility. The lunch ...

It's a very nice facility. The lunch we had on our tour was delicious and the residents seem happy and well cared for. The treadmill did not have side rail but only handles in the front. There are 300 residents & my mom felt the building was too large for her to navigate and also not well lit in many areas (hallways, elevator button). The one apt. we were shown was a nice large size 1 bedroom/living room with washer/dryer in it. I found out later that the additional care would be outsourced and is not in house. Alert system is worn by resident. Fire safety is well planned. Metal piece on every door that is placed up at night and drops down when resident opens the door in the morning. If it's not down, the security checks on the resident to see if they're unconscious or passed away. The only extra food are just coffee and tea during the day and no snacks.

Better than other locations I have lo...

Better than other locations I have looked at, but more expensive. Think my mom would not want to be in such an urban atmosphere.

Welcome to The Jefferson, where ownership and a unique approach to active aging are conveniently located at The Gateway to Arlington Virginia, just minutes away from Washington, DC.

The Jefferson has skillfully combined independence, luxury,services and amenities with the security of home ownership and stirred in an unbeatable location and topped it off with the peace of mind of knowing health services are right here at your finger tips when you need it.