The Fountains at Washington House - Alexandria, VA

Welcome to Alexandria’s number-one continuing care RENTAL community!

Located near Washington DC, The Fountains at Washington House offers nine (9) floor plans in both assisted and independent living in a boutique-hotel style environment. Our community provides independent living, assisted living and skilled nursing and rehabilitation services to those 55 and better. Cozy, intimate, friendly, beautiful are just some of the words our visitors have used to describe our atmosphere!
Our residents thrive by participating in or teaching

Watermark University classes

designed to incorporate brain and body fitness for life. Culinary Arts, Tai Chi, Museums, Computer, History, Art, Literature, Geography, Foreign Policy, Yoga, Garden tours, are just some of the many classes we are passionate about! Services include delicious Meals made to order, Housekeeping services, trained 24 hour Nursing staff, Shuttle Transportation, Cafe, Libraries, Movie Theatre, Art Gallery and Classroom, Hair Salon, Concierge services, Move-in coordination, etc.

Come see how you can be a part of this community with NO large buy-in at any level of care!

The Fountains at Washington House is a Watermark Retirement Community. We are creating extraordinary communities where people THRIVE!

The Fountains at Washington House is a luxury residential community for seniors located in Alexandria, Virginia. Residents can see stunning views of the hills of Virginia along with landmarks in Washington, D.C. For seniors who can always use more interaction, this residence provides daily activities both on-site and in town. More than two hundred people call The Fountains home, so seniors will always have something to do or someone to see. Some of the community amenities include:

- Cherry Blossom Cafe
- Access to Watermark University classes
- Housekeeping/linen services
- Room service available
- Community rooms including a billiards room
- Wellness center
- Creative Arts Studio

Services Offered

The Fountains offers both independent living and assisted living apartments, as well as a memory care service. There are eight different floor plans for residents to choose from, including studio size to two-bedroom units. The emphasis community-wide is on comfort and community.

City Info

Alexandria, Virginia is a city with a rich history. Its location just outside of Washington D.C. makes it a nice place to live for knowledge and cultural immersion. Downtown, residents can enjoy the older architecture and the Little Theater, while seventy major parks nearby offers a place to walk and celebrate the natural beauty of the area.

- Walkability Score: 7 out of 10. This area is simple to walk, but there aren't as many shopping and dining opportunities as there are just chances to enjoy nature.
- Average Age in 22311 zip code: 33. With the proximity to local communities colleges, many of the people who live in this area are younger, but with enough mixture of families to be comfortable.
- Number of local senior residential facilities nearby: There are two other senior communities within a short distance of The Fountains.
- Average Weather: Alexandria is located in the temperate continental United States. Winters vary from mild to cold and often experience a lot of snow. Summers can be hot and humid.
- Veteran's facilities:The National Veterans Center and Department of Veteran's Affairs are both located close by in Washington D.C.

Transportation

Seniors in the Alexandria area have access to a number of transportation services, including those that are provided by the community and public options located throughout the area and in Washington D.C.

- Buses: The local bus service offers reduced senior rides around Alexandria. Visit Alexandria Transit company for a schedule and other information.
- Trains: Virginia Railway Express offers service around Alexandria and Washington D.C.
- Taxis: Seniors have their choice of taxi service for the area including Yellow Cab and White Top service.
- Ride Shares: Vanpooling and Carpooling is encouraged in Alexandria, and seniors often receive transportation from the community they live in as well.

Health and Safety

Alexandria is close to top-rated medical centers and offers residents the opportunity to learn safety procedures through local law enforcement.

- Hospitals in the Area: Virginia Hospital Center, Dominion Hospital
- Crime rate in 33615 zip code: Its proximity to Washington D.C. raises the crime rate some, in particular property crimes, which are ranked 76 out of 100. Violent crime is also slightly higher than the national average

Sports and leisure

With nearly 950 acres of recreational space nearby, seniors have plenty of walking space to get out and about. There are also cultural and historic locations only miles from town. The Fountains is also accessible to Washington D.C., history enthusiasts can explore how our country came to be.

- Golf courses near by: Pinecrest, Hilltop Golf Club
- Tennis courts/clubs near by: Montgomery Park, Nannie J Lee Recreation Center
- Gyms near by: Anytime Fitness, Snap Fitness

Shopping and entertainment

There are shopping opportunities surrounding The Fountains, from strip mall shops to malls, giving seniors all the purchasing power they need. Also in downtown Alexandria, seniors can check out a show or visit one of the local history centers

- Clothes Shopping nearby: TJ Maxx, periwinkle
- Grocery stores: Giant Foods, Whole Foods Market, ALDI, Trader Joe's
- Restaurants: Cafe Aurora, Gadsby's Tavern, Hard Times Cafe, Frank's Oyster Bar
- Movie theaters: The Little Theater of Alexandria
- Libraries: Alexandria Library
- Senior-friendly salons (men and women): Blown Salon, Classic Look, Wisp Salon
- Attractions: Potamic Riverboat Company, Fort Ward Museum,

Religious facilities

Seniors at The Fountains have a weekly church devotional service on-site, but there are also local churches nearby for those of different faiths or beliefs. Some of these churches include Christ Church, Hope United church of Christ and First Baptist Church.

Very nice place - to far from Family & Friends

Toured Community

This community is nice however it has been awhile since it was last renovated and might be time for some updates in certain areas. The staff was very nice and informative on the tour. The community was clean and well kept. They seem to be in line with other communities that we visited as far as service and amenities that are offered.

Watermark Ambassador

Thanks for visiting and your positive feedback. We pride ourselves on a warm, friendly atmosphere and professional associates. It comes easily because our team truly loves what they do. Our building is definitely not new but we keep it as clean as a whistle and filled with vibrant programs and happy residents. Thanks for visiting; I hope we see you again soon. Sincerely, John Niebauer, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of John Niebauer.

They bent over backwards helping my mom during her respite stay

The Fountains at Washington House was willing to work with me on the pricing for my mother as she would only be there 4 days instead of the required 2 weeks. They met all of my mom's needs and the staff bent over backwards for her, they did try to encourage her to join in the activities and come to the dining area for her meals. But she perferred to stay in her room, so they made sure they brought all her meals there for her and checked on her regularly.
I was very pleased with the care my mother got and would definitely recommend The Fountains to my friends and family.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I will read your review to the team and acknowledge them for their dedication, expertise and caring ways. We love what we do and I’m so glad it shows.
Sincerely, John Niebauer, Executive Director

Never go here

I would never recommend this place to anyone everyone is rude and not friendly at all I met with a lady named [Removed] who is the director of nursing she was very rude breath smelled like alcohol and she looked high like she was off something how can someone like that have a job working in a place like this. I have reported this several times but i guess they don't care or have any type of policy for employees. I met a women named [Removed] who was very very nice and helpful they the only ones who seemed like they knew what they were talking about . Please folks don't take your love ones to this facility especially on the second floor you will regret it.

Dear Ms. Miller,
We take all feedback seriously and are proud of our high resident satisfaction scores. I believe you are a former employee of our community and I see that you have mixed feelings. I would like to address your concerns and allegations. Please contact me or our Human Resources office at your soonest convenience. Thank you, John Niebauer, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of John Niebauer.

Environment that embraces individuality.

The reason I scored a 4 is there is always room for improvement.It's a beautiful place.The food is very good and I have tried it several times. Everything has been handled very well. The staff is very accessible.They are very caring people. They have the aptitude to handle concerns. They are willing and accommodating to individual preferences. They do everything they can to be inclusive. They always ask if there is anything they can do to improve the experience for my father-in-law. I'm confident that things will continue to improve and we are very pleased.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you very much. I will share your review to acknowledge and encourage the team. Please don’t hesitate to let us know anything we can do to ensure he continues to thrive. Sincerely, John Niebauer, Executive Director.
Posted on behalf of John Niebauer.

[Removed] was easy to talk to and was extremely in tune to the needs of those aging. My situation did not seem unique to her which added a level of comfort unmatched by anyone else I've spoken with as I'm making decisions about my mom's care. This was my clear choice for a provider when the time comes to coordinate care for my mom. One of the residents reached out to her and spoke jokingly and fondly, creating just the touch necessary to help me to be confident about the possibility of my mom being there.

Everything Is Going Working Out Good So Far

So far everything is working out pretty well for my mother since her move to this community. She is doing well, and I'am satisfied. They have a friendly staff, and they have also been helpful and attentive. They do a good job with the cleanliness of the community, everything is well maintained. So far it has been good experience for us at this community.

Not Returning Calls

My mom is not happy here. I am not thrilled about calling 3 to 4 times and the Nurse Director is unable to call me back. This makes me uneasy. I also do not feel comfortable with the doctor here, he has not shown up twice when he is suppose to. However, the apartment is lovely.

Good Community!!

Everything has been going good for my loved one. The staff are all being very attentive and communicate well with the family. My loved one is getting all of his care needs met. The meals and the activities have also been good as well. I would recommend this community. The care is great and the services offered are good as well.

Washington House is on the higher end as far as costs, but you seem to get what you pay for. And that is a very nice place for our brother. The staff are all competent, and personable. That helps make EVERYONE happy.

High rise living!

The tour of The Fountains at Washington House was pleasant. The staff were very friendly and they were able to address all of my concerns. The community is very nice and clean. We didn't like that it had very little outdoor space. We prefer the light and own private access to our home.

My Sister Is Doing Well Here

My sister is doing well at this community and I am pleased with everything they have done for us. They keep the community very clean, it is very nice and well-kept. The staff have been very welcoming and helpful. She has tried out a few new activities. They offer many through out the week. The food is good, she enjoys the meals. It has been a good experience and I would recommend it.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you creating a review on our community. I look forward to sharing it with our entire team. I’m glad to see you and your sister are happy and satisfied. Please be sure to let us know if there’s anything we can do to ensure she continues to thrive. Thanks again. Sincerely, John Niebauer, Executive Director

Washington House - Terrific Independent Living

With the help of "A Place for Mom" I was introduced to the Fountains at Washington House in Alexandria, VA. My Mom moved in to this wonderful facility in mid-March and she couldn't be happier. Washington House has a diverse and significant number of accessible activities for its' residents. There is always something going on for anyone who wishes to participate. Various special events occur frequently. The staff and care givers are attentive and welcoming. And the food and beverage offerings provide well loved dishes for everyone. We were surprised to learn twice, that corporate had increased pricing in the short time we were in the market. Corporate did honor some, not all, of the pricing offered at the beginning of our deliberations.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of our community; I look forward to sharing this with our entire team.. I’m so glad to hear how well your Mom is doing. Please let us know if there’s a special program, menu item, outing, or anything at all we can do to ensure she’s thriving. Thanks again; Sincerely, John Niebauer, Executive Director

Review of The Fountains at Washington House - Alexandria, VA

The staff seemed very friendly. The furniture fabric in the lobby is old and frayed in some spots. The dining area was nice and did not have a greasy smell. Overall the place seemed acceptable. The common areas on the different floors are quite nice as well as the outdoor area and it’s nice that the apt. Kitchenette has a single cooktop. The one bedroom is a good size to my mom. The one drawback I see is the frig low to the ground with the freezer on top and the refrigerator on bottom.

So far things have gone pretty smoothly.

So far things have gone pretty smoothly. The move was pretty good, our loved one is getting settled in okay. So far we haven't gotten any complaints but it's still new. Some of the dining areas are a little sparse but overall so far it's going pretty good.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our community; I’m glad things are going well so far. Please don’t hesitate to call or meet with me at any time to discuss our dining areas and to help us ensure that your loved one continues to settle in smoothly. It’s so important to start out on the right foot and to jump right in and take advantage of the services, amenities and fun that we have to offer. Please let us assist in every way we can. Sincerely, John Niebauer, Executive Director.
Posted on behalf of John Niebauer

My mother in law lives in independent living. She loves the activities there. She has participated in discussion groups and also the New Year's Eve gathering. We're really pleased with the facility. We didn't know she would get involved with the residents or the staff there.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for taking the time to review our community and for your positive feedback. We’re committed to creating an extraordinary community where everyone is thriving and I’m grateful to hear that your mother in law is doing just that. Sincerely, John Niebauer, Executive Director

A Very Nice Place

The activities are good, but they are not as sophisticated or as fancy as they sound when you go visit them before you move in. The food is very good and the place is generally really nice. The only thing is that when we were moving-in we had some setbacks. But it's a very nice place.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for your feedback! We’re always open to suggestions. I have shared your compliments with our chef and team. Hopefully over time you’ll find enjoyable pursuits from our selection of Watermark University classes. For example, this semester we have many history talks, cooking shows, an African lecture series, a tour of the National Air and Space museum, a Broadway lecture series, calligraphy, cribbage and fashions from the 1940s to name a few. My door is always open and you can always reach me at [removed]. I appreciate any insight you might share with me personally as to how we can help make your life here as enjoyable as can be.
Sincerely, John Niebauer Executive Director

Our Great Leap Forward

We have a lovely, large, three-bedroom apartment and are most happy with it. The support staff has been most helpful with some of our move-in needs like reconnecting stereo speakers and quickly replacing a beeping fire alarm battery. People have been very friendly and inviting. All in all it has been a very good move and we thank you for all your help and suggestions. Best part - we didn't have give them all our money up front!

We were impressed with the Fountains, but when the additional charges for services were added up it is beyond our ability to pay.

Nice place overall, a few ways they could improve

Overall I think they do an excellent job at The Fountains at Washington House. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff are all very friendly. However, I do think they could do a better job introducing new residents and families to the community. The dining hall was fairly confusing the first few times, it felt like trying to find a table to sit at at lunch on the first day of high school. My loved one also said they could communicate better with the residents, the facility has been on a lockdown to prevent the flu from spreading for a few days, but she feels in the dark about when that might be lifted.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you very much for your positive and constructive feedback. We want to be certain that the transition to our community is smooth and easy for everyone. We do have a Resident Ambassador program in place, which includes an ambassador from each floor who invites new residents to dinner during the first week and checks on them periodically. It sounds as though it is time to re-convene the Resident Ambassadors to reinforce the importance of what they do, and ensure that the program is working well. As for the flu, I’m sorry that you felt communication was lacking. The timing for lifting restrictions is difficult to predict as we need to go 4 days with no symptoms occurring, and symptoms can occur at any time. I hope you heard the good news which was sent to residents and family members via email - seven days ago we were able to lift all restrictions and go back to our life as usual with all our programs, clubs, classes, events and gatherings here at the community. We worked closely with the Alexandria Department of Health and followed CDC guidelines, which resulted in fewer cases of the virus and a shorter than average duration. In fact we celebrated with a Mardi Gras Wellness party! I would be happy to speak with you to discuss your thoughts and ideas in detail.
Please don’t hesitate to call me any time at [removed].

Sincerely, John Niebauer
Executive Director

Nice looking place

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. The Fountains seemed like a good balance of quality and price. It was not the nicest place we saw, but for what they charge it was a very nice looking community. It was clean and well kept, and the staff all seemed friendly.

My Mom is Happy Here

My Mom stays at the Fountain at Washington House. She is pretty happy there. The place is clean and the staff is wonderful according to my mom. She is also happy in terms of Value and care services. Also offers lots of activities. My mom is happy here, so, I am happy too. Thanks!

It's very clean and they are friendly

There were attentive to all my questions. My mother is not eating very much so I can't tell you anything about the food. She seems to be happy there.

Seemed very nice but especi...

Seemed very nice but especially for independent living.

We liked this facility and ...

We liked this facility and are in the process of scheduling a tour with my husband.

So far I am pretty happy with The Fountains.

We are pretty happy with it. It's clean and the staff is friendly. They do a pretty good job with being attentive, and responsive. They have a lot of activities. So far no complaints about the food. So far I am pretty happy with The Fountains.

Friendly high rise living. ...

Friendly high rise living. Apartments with large enough bedrooms on 4 th floor.. Average age 82. Soothing sitting area outside with koi fish water attraction.

Nice community. The staff ...

Nice community. The staff was very professional to me and to the residents. The only negative I can think of is that the two units I saw didn't have their own laundry machines. There was a community laundry room on the floor.

This review is only for the Independe...

This review is only for the Independent Living side. The care services are well within expectations, and the staff is all very friendly. I would rate the food as a 4, because it could be a little better. Sometimes, it is not prepared properly. Also, breakfast is included in the rent, but the breakfast options are very limited. It is like a contintental breakfast, and only offered for a limited time during the morning. This may not be suitable for people who do not like getting up early. If there are alternative options for variety and maybe room delivery, they were not clearly explained to us. However, they did impress us with their quick response to maintenence requests. It wasn't even an hour, it was within minutes!

She is really, really happy there.

My loved one is very happy at this community. They treat her very well, and the staff is great. Her apartment is great and, she is liking the dining facility. She doesn’t have any complaints.

These past two weeks it's been good, ...

These past two weeks it's been good, two days ago the med tech somehow didn't show up so the two floors didn't get medication until late. I asked them what happened and they said she didn't come in. They have a new girl, poor girl, Kimmy, they put everything on her.
It's very clean, the food is good, they have lots of activities, they try their best. Last week they had an indian dance with indian food and they bring someone in to play the piano. He's at a level four plus they give him a little bit of a discount because he was in WWII plus he gets long term care so that helps.

DO NOT GO HERE

My relative went here for rehab after hospitalization. She was underweight, weak and suffering from urinary retention. The nursing staff only handed out medications, with no proactive assessment or patient interaction. There was no evidence that a doctor ever visited my relative. The technical staff was friendly and helpful. The hearing aid was lost and not reimbursed (Washington House claimed it was not on the inventory), the social worker was not family friendly, communicated poorly and infrequently. After one week of PT the staff claimed my relative had "peaked" and would not improve, yet they continued to hold her for 3 more weeks until I insisted on a voluntary discharge. One day after discharge my relative ended up back in the emergency room for urinary retention, a condition never identified by the Washington House medical and nursing staff even though this was what had landed her in the hospital to begin with. Additionally, staff never communicated with the local GP as per requirements. All in all, a very unprofessional staff dedicated to maximizing medicare billing as opposed to resident care.

Nice location, but too expensive

It was too expensive, it's not worth the cost and I still don't know how they can get away with what they charge for rent. My aunt was really happy because she was close to the nurses station and she had only one person at her table so everything was very calm. Each floor has its own dining room, Washington House is like the Ritz compared to the Mariott. The activities were probably great but my aunt didn't participate because she just wasn't interested. The location is nice because it is pretty close to Washington DC and close to Alexandria so it was easy for me to visit as often as I wanted.

Parking is not good at all....

Parking is not good at all. I did not select this community

Felt homey!

When we toured there was a male resident in the hall directing traffic. He seemed very happy to live there and was very friendly. He claimed he liked to pick his perch for people watching. The facility had a lot more floors than The Hermitage, I think there were 11 or 12 stories here? They have tons of activities listed, they'll take residents to baseball games, museums, movies, plays, and other things residents can sign up for. hey also offer lectures and have sports polls, it seems like they do a lot to involve their residents. They start with Independent Living but offer graduated care. This place looked and felt very homey they had a lot of sitting areas tucked throughout the place.

Very nice, even for a hard-to-please elderly parent

My 92-year-old mother has been a resident since 2010, and while she's not often happy with the idea of independent living (or aging), the staff and management of the Fountains invests a great deal of time seeing to her comfort and multitude of needs. This is especially nice for me, since I live out of state. The benefit of knowing mother's safe and cared for is a priceless commodity.

Free Swimming, Transport and Welcome Party

We chose this community for my friend because they just have so many things to do. Some of the activities they offer are art class, movies and a beauty shop. They have occupational therapy and physical therapy on site. Across the street is the Goodwin House, which has a pool. All The Fountains residents get to go swimming at no cost to them. They provide free transport to go to doctor appointment and even to go get groceries. When a resident moves in they ask if you would like to have a party to show your friends where you are staying. My friend chose to have a party and over 40 friends showed up and the entire party was completely free of cost to my friend. While at the party some of the guest actually became interested in the community and the staff offered to give tours and answered any questions. The Fountains is by far the best value when it comes to location and the care services they offer. The sales reps do not try and sell you on how much money and how this is the right choice. They show you where you money is going and they show you why it’s the right choice. They show The Fountains as a lifestyle and not a business. The staff was really good in letting us know that the first month it is hard for a lot of residents to adjust and is usually the hardest part of the move in. My friend moved in and we did not get one phone call during this first month. The building is really nice and very well maintained. There is 9 floors of which there is 3 floors of assisted living and the rest is independent living. I would recommend The Fountains to everyone. I was actually talking to my husband about it as well.

The Fountains provided terrific servi...

The Fountains provided terrific service and support; but Mom decided she did not want to move away from her home area.

Favorite so far

Favorite so far

High rise (not enough outdoors)

High rise (not enough outdoors)

I like this one. Highrise, sidewalks...

I like this one. Highrise, sidewalks. A little isolated but nice activities.

Creme of the crop. Love this place &...

Creme of the crop. Love this place & location.

Visited previsouoy and liked if could...

Visited previsouoy and liked if could afford LTC indefinitely.

no transport to and from med appointm...

no transport to and from med appointments. no animals.

close to DR.