Birchwood Suites - East Northport, NY

We love Birchwood Suites!

compassionate care

My mother was a resident until she passed away. We love the care, compassion and kindness of the Administrator, [name removed], and the staff. They went out of their way to take care of her. We are thankful for them. You will find a very special place at Birchwood Suites.

Beautiful, caring, warm

I am a professional in the field and recently had the opportunity to visit. The community is a renovated estate, so it sits on acres of property with a pond and trees. Such a relaxing place for residents to take in nature and enjoy their retirement years. The staff is super friendly and among the best intheirmdields aa most of them have come from larger facilities and moved here because the atmosphere is relaxed and the care is superb. There is just something about this place that I cannot put my finger on, but you feel the warmth and love the minute you step through the doors. I would highly recommend them to my clients and anyone looking for a great, friendly and caring environment for their loved one.

So happy we found this place!

We are so happy to have found this place! It is not one that advertises like the big chains do, as they seem to prefer to be exclusive to word of mouth so they don’t become like a warehouse. I was recommended by an attorney. After visiting numerous facilities, we settled on this one for a number of reasons. First, the grounds and building itself is breathtaking. My mother had her own hone with spacious property, and I could not see putting her in a place where she couldn’t continue to enjoy the trees and nature. They have a pond and walking paths that she enjoys. Second, the staff is amazing and go above and beyond to make sure the residents are happy and feel safe. Because it’s a smaller home like community, she gets a lot of attention. The new administrator is making a lot of positive, needed changes. Third, they are affordable and reasonable with their pricing. They don’t nickel and dime you for the care as it’s all included. I recommend anyone looking for an affordable, clean and caring home to give them a visit. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

Amazing renovations, top notch care!

I work in the healthcare field and had the opportunity to visit recently. I’ve been here in the past, and I must say that the changes the new owner and administrator are making are wonderful to see. The whole place is brighter and the staff seem so much happier. What a wonderful, warm and inviting place for seniors to live and enjoy all the comforts of home, with staff right there to assist them. Residents were happy and the staff were so friendly and accommodating. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a quality and caring environment. I will be recommending them to my clients - great job, Birchwood!

A hidden gem! Beautiful community, friendly staff!

I recently visited and was very impressed. It's a beautiful estate with a warm, home-like community and the staff are very friendly. The grounds are gorgeous. Everyone greeted us and the residents looked happy and well cared for. This is not a large type of facility like we visited previously where we felt our loved one would get lost in the shuffle. We were looking for a smaller place where she would get the closer care and supervision that she needs. Plus they include all the medication assistance and care, so there is no extra charge. Coming from her own home, we felt like this would be more comfortable for her. I think we found the perfect place!

Wonderful place for my dad

They provide great care for my dad. Every time I visit everyone is nice and my dad seems happy. The new Administrator is friendly and kind along with her staff. I am thankful that we found this place. The meals are great and the building is charming. We are thankful for all they do.

This place sucks

this place does not deserve even one star. The appearance is dull, the staff is nasty, and half of the community have urinaty track infections. The woman in charge comes off friendly but she is dismissive and A phony. There is no quality of care here and have one working elevator. Do not leave your loved one here unless you don't care about that person.

Amazing renovations and really great care! The Administrator and Wellness Director are wonderful and really go above and beyond to make sure my mom is cared for at all times. I really appreciate the family environment and the compassion. Great place!

Wonderful community

The care for my dad is wonderful. Staff are caring and many improvements have been made lately. This is an amazingly homey feel that has a great atmosphere. The Management staff are amazing and care deeply for the residents. Great place for seniors.

Great Place for Mom

The new management team provides amazing leadership. The care and building have improved to a higher standard. I am very pleased with the new renovations and the customer service. The extended hours for the receptionist is a wonderful added personal touch. The new Administrator has improved the care for the residents. This is a great community for people needing assistance.

Outside grounds great and very nice staff

Location, property and building get high marks. Unexpected visit revealed patient left in shower and calling for help to be assisted. Dinner finished and multiple patients waiting to be taken back to their rooms. Only 2 visible aides available. Understaffed.

I went Monday 10/09/17 to meet with [Removed] and got a tour of the facility to see if would be a good fit for my mother. I was very impressed with the cleanliness, the well manicured grounds, upbeat atmosphere, the activities and the facility. The staff was very friendly, professional and in tune to the residents. The facility has rehab on site which is a major plus for my mother's needs. While it doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of some of the newer facilities, it has what is important for the residents to be happy, safe and confortable. The suites are updated and clean. The residents are happy and are kept occupied. [Removed]was very knowledgeable and was able to answer all my questions. they are a pet friendly facility which is also a plus. I like the fact that its a smaller facility and communication between my family and staff should be easier. The all-inclusive price and the fact that they deal directly with my mothers Long Term Care insurance is also a plus.

Not Fancy Community, but The Right Fit for My Family

This is a smaller community compared to the other we looked at, but my wife is doing well since her move here. I like it, it isn't too fancy, and its affordable. I feel the staff are very kind, genuine people. They really care about their residents, and even knows all of them by their first name. They have been very helpful, and accommodating to my family. I do feel comfortable with her move to this community, it has provided me a with a peace of mind knowing she is in good hands. This is a great community, and I would recommend it.

They Are Perfect To Us

My dad is great since becoming a resident. It is a smaller community that is more suitable for his dementia. It is the perfect place for my dad. He has no complaints about the
meals and activities. The staff communicate well with me and when I visit weekly, they are more than willing and open to my questions. I absolutely would recommend this place.

A god tour!

The Birchwood Suites was a very nice facility. During my tour, I did not notice anything that needed improvement. The staff was nice and the person who took us around was friendly and knowledgeable.

Not a good experience!

This was a horrible experience for mom. Mom's room was always smelling and not cleaned. The nurses were not able to take care of mom properly. Mom needed a higher level of care. They had very limited activities for the residents to do. Yet, they would not let the residents go to there rooms. Everyone had to participate all day. We even brought in our own aide and they were rude to her.

Not the right!

The tour was really nice and the people were knowledgeable about the community. The residents were out and about doing things in the community. We just did not think that this was the right place.

Friendly Knowledgeable Staff!!

The Birchwood suites is a beautiful community. The staff was very knowledgeable. They took me around the place and offered me coffee as well as the meals served there. The only reason we did not go with this community was simply the price.

Delicious Meals!!

My mother-in-law really enjoys the cleanliness of this community. The staff from what I've seen is very friendly and attentive. The meals prepared daily look delicious and nutritious. There are plenty of activities available for the residents. I would recommend the Birchwood Suites to a friend or relative.

Small homey facility with quality care

Birchwood Suites is not a large overwhelming facility which made it ideal for my mother. She needed a place with a homey feel and I cannot say enough about the wonderful care the staff provides. There is a separate shower room which is a negative for mom but I understand the safety concern. Some updating is needed but they are working on that.

Things are pretty good there.

We use the Day Service. Things are pretty good there. It's very convenient. They have something going at all times. They provide meals when needed. It seems to be pretty good. They have a lot of people and could use a few more staff. It's very clean, but the parking can be challenging, they could use more room for loading and unloading, and the driveway has some potholes, but all in all I am pleased.

A Great Place

So far so good....the staff couldn't be nicer....especially Elise.....my Aunt seems to be happy.....the cottage is homey....thank you to Jean from A Place For Mom for helping us to place her there!!!

Review of Birchwood Suites - East Northport, NY

This was a sad place to visit. It was dirty old very depressing. Not a place I would ever consider for anyone in my family.

Birchwood Suites is the Best

Nothing but GREAT things to say about Birchwood Suites. The place is homey, the staff are so helpful and friendly, the food is very good and the price is reasonable. We looked around at a lot of places before we found this one, thanks to A Place For Mom who helped us find Birchwood Suites!!! Aunt Pat seems very happy there and that is what matters most!

Nice, friendly place.

Birchwood Suites is a nice, friendly place. They are taking very good care of my mother. She participates in all of the activities, she loves them.

Very small, dark and a bit run down. Price is reasonable and includes most things, they do accept medicaid. Not going to pursue this one

very friendly, helpful, and welcoming

The staff was always really good at contacting me regarding anything that happened with my dad or any questions. They were always available to answer any questions and always got back to me promptly. In general the staff was very friendly, helpful, and welcoming.

Mt father in-law stays at the Birchwood Suites in East Northport, NY. the place is comfortable and they offer enough activities. The lady who helped us was nice and friendly. In terms of value, i am not sure, because it has not been a month yet. Other than that, i'd give it 5 stars.

Nice looking place

We visited this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. I thought this was a clean, nice looking, healthy community. Based on what I saw I could definitely recommend it as being worth a look!

Facility was nice staff was pleasant and professional

Great place to live

Dad liked it here and enjoyed meeting...

Dad liked it here and enjoyed meeting several of the residence. The staff seemed professional and took their time to help residents. I think this is the place for him.

Not a good experience.

The biggest problem is, when I would call in the middle night, no one would answer the phone. He called me over 30 times in one night I had to go and get him at 3:00 in the morning. They blamed it on the phone systems. This was a problem that I had seen a couple of weeks prior when signing up, but they assured me they were getting it fixed. Not a good experience.

Nice place, overall

Overall things have gone very well at Birchwood Suites! It's a nice looking clean facility, and the staff have all been very friendly. The only issues we've run into has been trouble getting my loved one to take her medication. I'm not sure how much they're allowed to do to make sure she takes it, but I know it is something they've been working on and I think they're doing their best.

Nice Size

Overall, I am pleased with this choice. If I had one suggestion, it would be to add more staff as far as the aids are concerned. Otherwise, we really like the facility itself! The size is perfect - we didn't want something too big, but we also didn't want something too small.

Did not work out well for us

My loved one has very severe dementia, and although they said they could handle him I don't know that their staff was entirely prepared. He was only in their memory care unit for four nights total, and on two of those nights he managed to get up, injure himself, and get back in bed without anyone noticing. It may be due to the fact that they only have 1 staff member watching 18 people overnight. I was not impressed with, nor did I have confidence in, their memory care capabilities.
That being said, it was a nice enough looking facility, they kept it clean, and the staff were friendly. I think it might be a nice place for those with lower care needs and no memory issues.

The Lavender Garden,the dem...

The Lavender Garden,the dementia unit, has only 17 clients, so my husband gets the personal attention he needs.

Birchwood Suites,Mom's new home

We really liked Birchwood Suites because it's a smaller residence and has a homey feel. The staff is very attentive,caring and friendly. I have called a bunch of times and they have always said ''no problem, you can call anytime and we will be happy to help you.'' My Mom seems very happy there and comments on how nice everyone is!
I have to thank Vanessa Lightbody( A place for Mom) because she really knew my Mom's needs and gave me great advice. I could not have done this without her!

Excellent Care

I am very happy with my choice to place my 86 year old father in Birchwood Suites. He has progressing dementia, so the placement choice was one not taken lightly. He has been there a little over two months and I can already see a positive difference in the care he his getting, compared to another assisted living facility he was living in for almost a year. I wish I had found Birchwood Suites sooner. I highly recommend the facility to anyone seeking a high level of care and compassion for their parent. It is difficult enough to witness a once vibrant parent decline in health, mentally and physically. I live very far away from my father and I am the only responsible child in the family, I am sleeping better at night knowing he is in good hands now. Thank you to A Place For Mom rep. , Vanessa Lightbody, for the recommendation and follow up.

The price was just right and they were very friendly.

My father is in the dementia unit. They don't have activities really for the memory care area. They do have them downstairs but upstairs they seem to be sitting around a lot and watching a lot of T.V. We chose this place because my sister liked it better and the price was just right and they were very friendly. I would have them do more training for the dementia care. They don't really know how to talk to the dementia patients as well and are not traind properly.

Great Staff and Care

I'm very very satisfied with the way they took care of my brother. I would like to mention the name Avi, who was the gentlemen who runs it, the director or something. He was very good. Also, the receptionist, Patricia, was fantastic.

Not bad, Not good

Birchwood Suites is situated on beautiful grounds. It was a former estate. However on the inside I got a feeling it was more like a nursing home than an assisted living facility. Everyone seemed pleasant, but it was not well lit and had a depressing feel. I didn't like that you had to bathe in another area across the hall. It is less expensive than other facilities though and I like the all-inclusive price (no levels of care or charge for dispensing meds), but not the best option for me.

Mom & I met w/ Avi on 8/28....

Mom & I met w/ Avi on 8/28. EALR facility. Not best option.

Love it. This is the one, d...

Love it. This is the one, don't need to look anymore.

I spoke with Avi: assisted ...

I spoke with Avi: assisted living-1 fee, all inclusive, all levels of care, except for the secure unit (17 beds), 84 beds total in the facility. $3,500/month for a shared room $4,500/month for a private room. Rooms are like a hotel room with a separate bathroom which has a toliet and sink. For bathing they have walk-in Jacuzzi tubs, 1 for every 3 residents. The rooms are furnished, but residents can bring in any items they wish. The rooms have TV and free cable. Phone is $35/month. They get 3 meals a day, snacks 24 hours a day. The have transportation and they go on trips every day such as the water for lunch, casinos, concerts, shopping. There is an on-site hair salon. They have a happy hour! There is communion once a week, plus transportation to church. About 75% of the residents are Catholic. The only additional fee would be if the resident is incontinent-that would be $150/month. There are no additional fees should they need help with things like bathing and medications. If they have to go into the high level of care/secure unit the cost is $4200/shared room, $5200 private room. There is 1 aide for every 9 residents in the assisted living part of the facility; and 1 aide for every 4 residents in the secure unit. They will file the papers for the VA. The VA should wind up paying $1700/month. They will pay retroactively from the day of application, and it may take 1 year for the paperwork to be processed.

Home Away from Home

I read online about senioradvisor.com and knew that I had post about Birchwood Suites. My Mom lived there for 3 years and could not be more satisfied with the care and compassion shown to my mom while she was there. Being All Inclusive saved us thousands of dollars and allowed us to plan for her future while she was there! A++

Birchwood invites seniors to share the good life in a home-like setting, living each day to its fullest. Our trained, caring staff provides assistance with grooming, dressing, eating and medication management. In addition, care is available for bathing and personal hygiene. There is a varied daily activities program and 24 hour security coverage. A Day Care Program is available. Extensive Physical Therapy, specializing in a fall prevention program and risk assessment analysis. This enables many seniors to lead fuller lives without expensive nursing care.

East Northport, New York was once a quaint farming community on Long Island. However, now it has evolved into a quiet little hideaway from New York City. If you want to get away from the daily hustle and bustle of big city life, East Northport may be the perfect place for you. While there are some days when it is not so quiet, East Northport is also the perfect place for active seniors looking to keep themselves busy.

City Information

A quiet hamlet, just outside Huntington, East Northport is located in Suffolk County about an hour or so away from New York City. The 2010 Census lists the population as about 20,217. It is a town of about equal opportunity, as the men to women ratio is about even.

Walkability score 6: The neighborhood surrounding Birchwood Suites is not very walker friendly. Running most errands requires some mode of transportation. It is not really possible to talk a leisurely walk to the corner store. However, once you travel away from Birchwood Suites, the walkability score of East Northport becomes much higher. So, you may want to plan your day by getting a ride to the places it is easier to walk and arranging for a ride home.

Average age of the population 44: While it is true that the average age of an East Northport resident is younger than the age of a senior citizen, it does indicate that the culture and activities in East Northport may be more senior friendly. Of course being an hour or so away from New York City means there will always be something to do, as long as you have a reliable mode of transportation.

Number of senior living communities in East Northport: 140

Veterans' facilities: Veterans will not have to worry about receiving adequate health care with the Northport VA Medical Center nearby. Every Veterans Day the Northport VA Medical Center also celebrates veterans will Veterans Day ceremonies and a luncheon.

Weather: East Northport experiences the four seasons, however, it is not your weather most typical to the Northeast. It is usually a tad bit warmer than the average temperatures the rest of New York State experiences. A typical winter sees temperatures in the low to mid-40s, while the rest of the year temperatures average between the mid-50s and mid-80s.

Transportation

Depending on where you are in Suffolk County, transportation may or may not be required. Sometimes it is possible to walk out your front door and go right to the corner store and get the daily essentials you need. However, the area surrounding Birchwood Suites in East Northport requires some sort of transportation to run errands.

Buses: The Huntington Area Rapid Transit (HART) provides public transportation. There are fixed bus routes in and around East Northport. Senior citizens receive a discount on passes or a given fare.

Airports: Republic Airport is the only airport on Long Island. You may find that flight plans could be limited, depending on your destination. If you find you cannot get where you want to go, you can always travel an hour or so to New York City and fly out of JFK or LaGuardia Airports.

Other: Technology savvy seniors will enjoy the fact that East Northport is an Uber or Lyft friendly area. Simply log on to either website and arrange for transportation to your destination of choice.

Healthcare and Safety

When choosing a place to spend your golden years, it is likely that healthcare and safety are among the top factors in helping you make your decision. East Northport is likely one of the safest areas in New York State. The chances of being involved in a violent crime are 1 in 1,273, which is significantly lower than the average in New York State.

Hospitals: Huntington Hospital provides the best health care in Long Island. It was named in the top five percent of hospitals by US News and World Report. It also received nursing excellence honors by MAGNET.

Sports and Leisure

While you will not find professional sports teams in East Northport, you can travel to New York City to see the New York Yankees, New York Mets, New York Rangers, or New York Islanders. If you are really in the mood to travel, you are also not far from the New Jersey Devils, New York Jets, or the New York Giants.

Parks: You will not have to travel far to enjoy the four seasons and the outdoors in East Northport. Enjoy the picnic settings in Cedar Road Park, Veterans Park, or Knolls Park. Take a walk on the beautiful trails and enjoy breathtaking views. Enjoy participating in or watching the various sports activities, including baseball, tennis, football, or soccer.

Entertainment and Attractions

East Northport might be a quiet little hamlet in Suffolk County, but that does not mean life will be boring. Something is going on in East Northport everywhere you look. Even if you cannot find something that suits your fancy, you can still travel about an hour or so to New York City and find the attraction or entertainment that is right for you.

Restaurants: If you enjoy the national chains, such as McDonald's, Chili's, Burger King, or Starbucks, you will find all of these in East Northport. There are also local favorites serving up Italian, Mexican, Japanese, Asian Fusion, pizza, coffee, pastries, and more.

Theaters and museums: The John W. Engeman Theater brings a little piece of Broadway to East Northport. You can also see independent plays and productions. If museums appeal to you, you can enjoy the Northport Historical Society or the Vanderbilt Museum.

Religious Services

Church services and activities in East Northport are not hard to find. Christian, Baptist, Presbyterian, Gospel, Lutheran, Methodist, and Episcopal faiths are all represented in the surrounding areas. Some churches even offer Bingo. Check with your activities coordinator in your senior living community to see if transportation to and from church services and even bingo are provided.