Sunrise of Dix Hills - Dix Hills, NY

Very Nice facility. Very nice staff. Will definitely consider.

I went Saturday 9/30/17 to meet with [Removed] and to get a tour of the facility to see if it was a good fit for my mother. I was very impressed with the cleanliness, upbeat atmosphere, the layout, the list of activities and the house dog which I think is great. The residents seem to content and well cared for. Patty was very informative, took time to answer all my questions with detail and gave competitive pricing based on my mothers needs.

Happy environment!!

I have no complaints about how things went during my tour of this community. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions we had for them. They had a clean property and had a lot of great amenities for all of the residents. It was just not the right for my mom in the end decision.

This community is for sunrise and puppy dogs

I believe this would be a good community for a resident that wants to be here. I do not think the staff are qualified to take care of someone that does not want to be there and requires more care. They offer daily activities. The community is clean, well taken care of and the staff are nice.

Friendly, cheerful place for Mom

My Mom just moved into the Remembrance (memory care) community a couple of weeks ago. She is, understandably, still going through an adjustment period. The care provided is very good and she seems to have a good relationship with her dedicated care managers. The staff is helpful, friendly and caring and truly seem to care about Mom's welfare. The facility is bright and cheerful and I hope that Mom will join some of the activities once she feels more comfortable there.

Great Care for Mom

This is a excellent community. The food is very good and appealing with a nice variety. They do offer alot of activities to participate in. Staff members are outstanding. I would recommend this for great over all care for anyone.

Very Positive Experience!!

I was very pleased with our tour of the community. The staff was very warm and welcoming , everyone seemed very happy to be there. My loved one is strongly considering making the move into Sunrise of Dix Hills.

Mixed experience

Our experience with Sunrise has been somewhat mixed. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the care staff is friendly and professional. The care provided in the memory care section has been just what my Dad needed. Mom, who is physically frail, insisted on staying with Dad in Memory Care. I am not sure her frailty has been addressed properly in Memory Care as she's been in the hospital 2x in the first month since moving to Sunrise. Allowing her to stay in the Memory Care unit may not have been the best decision for her continued mental health. I'd advise that families looking to place a loved one here make sure that the care provided is up to what their loved one needs, especially regarding falling issues.

unpleasantly surprised and disappointed

We contacted Sunrise because of their enhanced license. The facility at Dix Hills impressed us during our first visit and tour with their attitude, friendliness, and appearance of attentive staff and management. An important aspect of our decision to place our very elderly mother here was that we were assured they had good, timely working relationships with doctors and psychiatrists for the needs of a resident who was physically active and alert but slipping into a dementia state. This was especially important as it was her first experience being in an assisted living facility and her medications had just been adjusted prior to her move. They went above and beyond to assure us they could get their doctors involved immediately to monitor and adjust her meds as needed.
Unfortunately, the experience was not a good one as they were unable to get their psychiatrist in to see mom for almost a month. Mom developed a UTI within the first two weeks which went undetected until we insisted upon a test because of behavioral changes. Shortly after, we were called about a fall that was witnessed for which they decided it was not necessary to send her out to be checked. She was checked subsequently as a result of other issues and found to have multiple broken ribs.
Regardless, our most concerning issue was their focus was on ordering one- on- one care (almost doubling the monthly costs) prior to and apparently instead of reviewing, monitoring, and adjusting her meds and following up on possible medical reasons for her increased needs. The ultimate result is that in less than three months we moved our mother to another facility that has better relationships with their house doctors and puts into action a sense of urgency and care.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience with Sunrise. Please email us at Information(at)SunriseSeniorLiving(dot)com with further details. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Very friendly people!

They're doing a wonderful job here looking after my loved one! It's a nice looking, clean place, and everyone has been so friendly! Not only are they kind and caring to their residents, but they are always welcoming and warm to family members who visit! The girls who work with my husband are very nice, and seem to be taking excellent care of him! They're also very accommodating in terms of meals, he is somewhat of a light eater, but they're always willing to fix him something he'll like if they think it will get him to eat more!

My mother was only there 24 hours unf...

My mother was only there 24 hours unfortunately, but in that time, everything at Sunrise was very good. The nurses and aides were very attentive. It was a good experience, and the place is emaculate. There was one particular person who stood out to me, and her name was Patty. She was great!

Very very happy with the care and car...

Very very happy with the care and care managers. Sunrise is clean and the staff are all very friendly. Food is pretty much what you would expect..not great but not awful. Not so happy that we are paying so much for care as I was not expecting the high price. My dad acclimated to his "new home" very well. I feel very secure knowing hes being well cared for.

Nice but not what I want fo...

Nice but not what I want for them.

Looked nice

This place looked nice when we toured. It was very clean, and everyone we met on the tour seemed friendly. It would have been a comparable choice to the location we selected, however this was a little farther away and was priced a bit higher.

Not quite as expected

While the place is beautifully kept both inside and outside, I wasn't too impressed with the level of service we were receiving for my father's stay there. He has been there only for a month so far so I don't want to say too much until we see how it goes.

Their caregivers are young women who also work in the kitchen (which I find very strange) and also take care of the seniors there, (bathing, toileting, dressing them). I don't know how experienced they are between doing kitchen duty (serving food and washing up dishes) and then overseeing the full care of a senior citizen who is wheelchair bound or using a walker.

Needless to say, it is a very expensive facility, and for the amount of money we are spending, it should be A1 service which is sorely lacking.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your feedback. We take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more. Please email us at [removed] with more details…thank you. Sunrise Team

A good option

A good option

My brother and I are seriously consid...

My brother and I are seriously considering taking another look at this facility, however total cost will come into the picture. Loved the decor and the food was excellent. However, my Mother felt very uncomfortable about seeing residents laying around,sleeping as soon as you enter the facility.