Sunrise of Mill Basin - Brooklyn, NY

More Attention Is Needed

My loved one is happy and pleased some days. One time they were in the bathroom and needed help. They rand the bell over and over and no one came to help. They were on the toilet for about an hour. That upset me terribly because I was calling her and the nurses station and no one answered. I was not too impressed.

Sunrise Senior Living

I toured this community for good care. We toured and liked the staff who were caring and comforting. The menu looked appealing and they offer a nice list of activities that are offered. We liked that this community and would recommend that other families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

closed comfort

My father toured this nice community. It appeared to be clean and the staff was very science and able to answer the questions that we had on the care that is given here. The menu of meals was appealing. this location we further than what we wanted. Other families might find this to be a great community for a loved one.

Big Community!!

I thought this community was rather large and a little overwhelming for what my loved one would need. It would not be as easy for her to navigate through the building and to remember where things where. Other than that the staff where very polite and helpful during our tour. It was just not the right fir for my sibling in the end decision.

A Pet Friendly Place!!

Sunrise of Mill Basin really caught my attention they had a clean community. The rooms had good space and the setup of everything was good. The staff and my tour guide were courteous. I was not offered a complimentary meal but, from what i saw the meals sounded good and healthy.

A Ray of Sunshine.

Sunrise of Mill Basin is a ray of sunshine, for us all. The facility is clean, lovely to look at, wonderful views, very peaceful. All of the people, residents and staff are so friendly. It's a pleasure to visit. We've only been here for 2 weeks, but so far, everyone has been so helpful, in making my friend, feel secure and welcome. The staff has been working so hard to make this an easy transition, they must all be commended.

I liked this community!!

The staff at Sunrise were nice and took care of everything. The community is clean and I would recommend this community. Mom seemed to like the food. It is no fault of the community but mom no longer resides there.

Being Resourceful to the Uneasy Decision Maker.

Resourceful, compassionate, and patient are the adjectives I have been using to describe my experience with Margo, and also the management and staff at Sunrise Senior Living. Not knowing what to expect as I journeyed along the unknown road of senior care selection for my wife, I was overjoyed when I found people who cared about providing a "high quality of living" for their residents.
I was skeptical when I first considered the idea of a senior living facility for my wife but that soon changed to "Yes" when my heart was satisfied that she would be receiving the loving care that she needs and deserves.
I have entrusted to them, my "Most Valuable Partner."

They were amazing and wonderful.

They were amazing and wonderful. I felt that it was well managed the clients looked content clean, and well cared for. I also saw the severe dementia unit, and it looked well monitored and well staffed. It was orderly the staff were friendly and welcoming. I had been looking at respite care, but there is a minimum of a month.

Toured, very nice looking place

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. I was very impressed by what I saw of Sunrise of Mill Basin, it was a nice looking facility and the residents seemed well cared for. We ended up selecting a different Sunrise community, and things have turned out very well there.

Sunrise of Mill Basin a life saver.

Sunrise of Mill Basin services are excellent. My mother is in a safe, caring, and friendly environment. She is now enjoying a significantly better quality of life than she had in her home. The associated medical care was instrumental in discovering a potentially fatal health problem, Attention to my mother's condition allowed for immediate action to rectify her condition.
My mother is comfortable and tells her friends how happy she is now living at Sunrise of Mill Basin.

impressed

I knew I didn't need to look anywhere else because I was immediately impressed at Sunrise of Mil Basin. The staff are over the top. The value is fair. The food and service are excellent. It is a lot of stimulation for her. She enjoys the staff and the residents. The atmosphere is cheerful. She is really perking up at this facility. I am very satisfied with things here.

improve on organization

I think the property of Sunrise of Mill Basin is very clean and neat. The staff there is very friendly. I would like to see them improve on organization. There is so much paper work in the beginning. I also wish there was an orientation explaining what would happen the first day, the first week, etc. After some bumps in the beginning everything was straighten out. They have activities and outings but I think they could do a little better about getting residents together socially. Like taking new residents and having a meeting. They do have little socials but residents stay to themselves. I would like to see the staff try to get new residents together. The food at this facility is fairly good and is a step above a nursing home. They have a good selection and it's healthy.

Nothing But A Positive Experience

I am okay with everything at Sunrise of Mill Basin. I gave all the categories a five-star rating, so overall it is a very good facility and I have had nothing but a positive experience with it and with the staff.

A beautiful and caring facility

Our parents moved in recently and the facility is beautiful and very clean. You feel like you walk into a hotel. The care managers are friendly and helpful. The variety of food and quality of food presented is very good. All of the staff are very friendly, warm and helpful. The management tries to assure that the residents are kept active and involved. What could be very helpful is to have an orientation for new residents to understand how the system works overall - from the care management aspect to the use of nursing, doctors, etc. It would have been nice to know what to expect the first day/week, etc. This would have made the first few weeks a little easier. Otherwise, this is a premier assisted living facility.

Very Clean and Friendly

I was a visitor touring the Sunrise of Mill Basin. I was very impressed by the clean and well kept facility. The staff was wonderful. They were very kind. The residents were nice as well. This is a nice community. I can't rate the value, care services, and activities at this moment. Overall, This is a nice place.

Excellent care staff!

They do a wonderful job at Sunrise of Mill Basin! The service is very good. The workers are all very friendly and professional, and very accommodating to any questions or requests I've had regarding my loved one's care. My loved one can be a bit difficult to deal with, but they handle her care needs very well. Sunrise was recommended to me, and now I recommend it to others!

Nice private home typw atmosphere, but no vacancies - best apt is the ones that have the cupola - great windows & water views (from some). Some also have terrace - dad would love it. Unfortunately, outings seem limited to Kings Plaza & other Brooklyn spots. There are only so many times you can go to the Brooklyn Museum! Also seems geared toward "older" mind-sets.

Was very nice. People looked cared for and active. Was a very rainy day but there was activity. Person I was to meet with did not show up but Alison showed me around and very informative. Unfortunately too expensive. Thought it was within our means, but after carefully looking at pricing we realized it was too much.

Review of Sunrise of Mill Basin Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Brooklyn, NY

5 star very nice but very costly for memory loss residents....met with Angie, she extremely helpful with any questions I had.

Negatives and Pluses on Mill Basis

My mother has been at the facility for 2 years. The daily staff of personal aids and kitchen staff is excellent. Caring and considerate. I have had a good relationship with the management for nursing and direct services personnel. However I have had major issue with the business office over important paper work and billing which have since been resolved. I would review all of your parents applications, emergency info, and bills on a regular basis. The director at Sunrise is lacking in professionalism and compassion. I had to go above her to a supervisor and to corporate to finally get some information corrected on my mom's emergency sheet. Make sure your parent's doctor is connected to the hospital you choose. This is key. The doctor at Sunrise sees my mom as a "private" patient and he is very good. Lutheran Memorial seems a good hospital and that is who the facility uses. Good luck continue to advocate and watch dog your parent's care regularly.

Very nice community

This is a wonderful community, I'd give them top marks across the board. The staff are very friendly and easy to work with, and patient and caring with the residents. They're really good about staying in touch with families, and they provide all kinds of useful information. My loved one is very happy here!

Our experience wasn't that great, and it was fairly short.

Our experience wasn't that great, and it was fairly short. They weren't able to accommodate the level of care that we needed, which I don't understand since they assessed my loved one before we came. I feel like they sold me a dream and gave me a nightmare. They had too many chiefs not enough Indians. If you don't need much help they would maybe be ok.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please contact us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) (com) with additional details so that we can learn more. --The Sunrise Team

They were very good to us.

They were very good to us. They were very gracious and tried as hard as they could. There are certain rules about smoking that should be considered if your loved one is a smoker. They were clean and friendly, and had lots of activities going on. I can't really speak to value as I didn't really have anything to compare it with.

Sunrise has exceeded our expectations.

We needed to find a place for my brother in a hurry and after some research, to include some guidance from " A Place For Mom" we decided to try Sunrise Senior Living at Mill Basin to see how they would work out. The facility looks like a lovely Victorian Mansion on the outside.We were able to get him a modest studio with a lovely view. He has laundry service and room cleaning once a week. The food I am told is good with many choices. Thus far after 2 1/2 months my brother is feeling much better and is quite content. He enjoys taking walks along the water, located on the facility grounds.The staff is caring and easy to communicate with. His medications are monitored and he has assistance with his special needs, both for an additional charge. There are many pleasant activities available for the residents if they choose to participate as well as occasional outings if they choose to go. Thus far, Sunrise has exceeded our expectations.

I can't identify a failure.

I can't identify a failure. The physical environment is as far from the feeling of a nursing home or hospital as you can get, and as close to the feeling of a resort you can get. The impression you get of sunrise is from the exterior as well as the interior. It was built expressly for the purpose that it is currently used for, which is a huge advantage.

Sunrise is great!

Sunrise is great! Everytime I go there the staff is very friendly. My aunt is happy and really does speak very favorably and highly about them across the board. I do beleive Sunrise is doing everything they said they would do and I am very happy. Our needs are being met and they do have a lot of activities to do. My aunt goes down for breakfast and doesn't go back up until dinner. It feels like you are walking into the lobby of a busy hotel. Angie was the best! She was a really big part of why we chose them.

Wonderful. It's beautiful - it's not...

Wonderful. It's beautiful - it's not institutional at all. It's like a clubhouse, only 3 stories tall in a beautiful location. The staff are very congenial and everybody knows everybody. It doesn't give off an instutional feeling at all.

I know that this is a very expensive facility and my mother's level of care has gone up but they're doing a great job caring for her.

Loved this facility. The s...

Loved this facility. The staff was great with the residents. Loved the philosophy. Most residents seemed happy there. (Wish they took better care of their animals, however. Cages not well thought out and too dirty. Why have birds if you don't have someone to properly care for them?) Still this was a real possibility for mom. Liked the water views. We would have placed her here, but the Woodcliff Lake facility will be more convenient for us when we are away for the respite ourselves this summer. We may consider Mill Basin in the future.

Good choice

Good choice

Outdoor space, close by, customized a...

Outdoor space, close by, customized attention, Reminiscence

WAS NICE