Senior Star at West Park Place - Toledo, OH

• Full-time Activity Director
  • Female & Male Residents

My Thought Of The Tour

This seemed like a nice community and the people we met were friendly. They seemed to offer some nice amenities. This community was just to far out of the way. This community is in a busier area and we did not think this would be the right place for our loved one.

Our tour for care

We toured this community for a tour for me and my wife. The staff was able to answer the questions we had. The list of activities would have been helpful. We liked the atmosphere of this community and would recommend other families to tour this community for the care of a loved one.

Happy community!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had of this community. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to give us lots of helpful information as well as answer any questions we had for them. I would recommend this place to anyone interested. It was just not the right fit for my wife and I in the end decision.

Very nice place. I was impressed that so many of the staff took the time to introduce themselves. [Removed] was outstanding- not pushy very helpful!

Could have better care !!

My mother was only at this community for a short period of time and honestly I am not very pleased with how things went for her. She had fallen multiple times and the last time actually put her in the hospital and she could not return to this facility. I wish the staff could have provided better care to her and they where more attentive to her needs. They had told me that they could take care of her and that was obviously not the case.

Very friendly staff, excellent food, plenty of things to keep my mom busy. I like the security aspects of this place.

Outstanding care for my mom

I am happy with the care that my mom is receiving here. The staff is wonderful. We have enjoyed the meals that are very good. I was happy knowing that she is staying active and participating in activities. I was recommended to this community by a friend and I am very happy with the care and the value of this community and would highly recommend the care that is given here.

A great place!

I have been very pleased with this community. The staff have been great and they bend over backwards to help. They are also very understanding. There are more activities than I can participate in. The food is good and they have a variety of choices. The community is clean and well taken care of. I would recommend this community.

A little bit to much!

Me and my loved one was able to take a tour of the community. It was wonderful and we loved the place. The staff seemed nice and very helpful. The community was bright and open. The only reason we chose some where else was because it was to expensive.

Senior Star

Thank you very much for taking the time to share about your experience visiting West Park Place! We are always looking for ways to better serve seniors, and to create a warm and welcoming environment for all who walk through our doors, so we are so grateful to hear your feedback! Please know we are always available as a resource for you as you and your loved one continue this journey!

My Parents Love It Here

My parents are really enjoying their time here. They love it and I'am pleased with all they have done for us. The community is very well maintained, they keep everything very nice and clean. The staff is wonderful, they are always willing to help. There are activities offered, my father enjoys the billiards rooms. The meals are amazing, I've tried the food and it tastes great. I know they are safe and receiving great care. I would recommend this facility.

They Really Care About Their Residents

This is a good community, and they really helped my health improve. Everyone is very nice and friendly. It is a bit expensive and they are trying to charge me extra to move out. I did think that is a little crazy to charge me for wanting to move out, but they said it is their policy. Overall They do really care about their residents and it has been a pleasant experience.

A horrible experience...please look elsewhere!!

My grandmother moved into West Park place recently, and she has been miserable ever since. She was hounded and harassed by one of the employees for YEARS to move in there. This employee showed up at my grandmothers constantly, took her garage door opener to have access to her house (without her permission), and would go to "visit" my grandmother at different hospitals or rehab places where she took it upon herself to try and get personal information, test results, discharge dates, diagnosis, etc from staff.

She can't go to the grocery store or Dr appts at different times because the bus is already full and she doesn't drive. She said the food is not that great either.
*She did say that the staff who assist her have been kind.

I strongly advised her to move to Swan Creek (where she wanted to go), and instead she moved into this awful place because she felt obligated to this employee who had been bugging her constantly.
I wouldn't move my dog in here, with practices like that.
Employees hounding, harassing, and stealing garage door openers??

Senior Star

We are sorry to hear you’ve been unhappy with your grandmother’s experience at West Park Place. The heart and soul of our mission and business are about resident and family care. Our Community Relations Coordinators have enjoyed their friendships with your grandmother. We’d never want that to be misinterpreted as hounding and harassing. In fact, they were honored to have been invited to visit your grandmother in the hospital and during home recovery. We have reached out to your family to further address this feedback as Senior Star takes every resident’s experience personally. It is never our policy to harass residents to coming to live in our community. We respect and appreciate each resident who chooses to make our community home. Our goal is to provide a place where they are happy, safe, and secure. Thank you for entrusting your loved one to us. Your doing so is an honor and a privilege for which we are deeply grateful.

I recommend this assisted living for everyone

The environment was uplifting and so many smiles. I really love the outside area with a patio. I see alot of engagement between the patients.

Not impressed

I toured this community while looking into senior living options for a loved one. Compared with a few others I saw in the area I just was not impressed with West Park Place. The facility seemed dark and gloomy inside, and I hardly saw any other residents out and about during my tour. I also did not like that the meal plan only included 2 meals a day.

Great place to live

I have nothing but good things to say about West Park Place! I originally took a tour about a year ago. They stayed in contact with me and even brought food to my dad while my mom was in the hospital a few times. My dad has been there a few weeks and seems very happy. He loves the food and likes to walk outside to the outdoor patio to sit and smoke his pipe. My mother is currently in a skilled nursing facility and will be joining my father soon. I have an old neighbor that has been there at least 10 years and will be turning 100 soon. The people that work there are what makes West Park Place so special.

Going well so far!

I think they're doing a lot of things well at West Park Place, we're pleased with how things have gone so far. It is taking my loved one a bit of time to get used to things, but I think the daily schedule of medicine, exercise, and meals all at specific times has really helped her out. They always have a good selection of choices for the meals, and the food itself seems to be pretty good!

really nice and very friendly

Everybody has been really nice and very friendly, and the atmosphere is very nice, warm, and welcoming.

One area where I do feel they need to improve is to have better follow-up and communication family. I would like to be kept more in the loop on how mom is doing rather than just contacted when there is a major issue. This is not a huge deal (it's not detrimental, just annoying), but an area for improvement.

Overall, great place, great people, great experience!

Very friendly people!

They've got the friendliest people here! They really go out of their way to make sure the people that live here are happy and well taken care of. It is a very nice place, overall.

Doing a great job here!

They do a great job here! I'd give them top marks across the board. Everyone is very friendly, the place is well kept and clean, and my loved one really seems to enjoy it here! We're very pleased with them, overall!

Mom is happy here!

My mother picked west park place after a few tours, and she felt the most comfortable there. It was in the same neighborhood as where she lived and she even had a few friends in there already. The staff is wonderful, even if the food could be better.

Very nice place!

So far things have gone extremely well with West Park Place! They have been extremely responsive to any needs our loved one has had, and they always send someone right away if anything goes wrong. They seem very attuned with the needs of seniors, and almost seem to anticipate what their residents will need. The staff are all outstanding! Everyone always has a smile on their face, and they are friendly, respectful, and professional. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking in the area!

Review of West Park Place Independent Living in Toledo, OH

Pollie was amazing and so wonderful and helpful. West Park Place was so welcoming. Thank you!

Again, more services than I...

Again, more services than I need and another apartment in middle of shopping center. No privacy, not at all quiet.

I'm very happy with them.

I'm very happy with them. From what I've seen posted on the calendar, they have good activities. The food seems to be really good, and my loved one likes it. We liked the location, and it worked well for us. So far we haven't had any complaints, or things that need to be improved. There haven't been any problem with the laundry. Everything is working out well, so far.

It's very clean, and the staff is friendly.

It's very clean, and the staff is friendly. The food has been excellent. They have done a good job getting her involved in activities. They have been excellent in their care for her. Their communication with us has been very good as well. One of the things that made us choose them is that they have twenty-four hour staff. They have a functional kitchenette in each of the rooms too, that was a plus. We are very happy with this community.

Nice and Convenient

We have a relative there and it's good. It's like a small apartment. It was really nice and the convenience of having your meals provided is really nice. They do two meals a day for you. She never got involved in the activities but they do have them. She not there right now and she still has to pay. Her daughter came into town and she's not able to stay there so I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Facility combines compassion, compe...

Facility combines compassion, competence and safety. My mom receives well balanced meals, timely medications and care as needed. We are fortunate to have located this fine facility.

My son, daughter and I visi...

My son, daughter and I visited and were extremely impressed with staff. I have scheduled three days to be with them to discover even more about them. They gave me information about VA benefits and I have attended a meeting with my son and daughter.

Good Community

They could encourage the residents to participate in the activities a little more instead of just giving up. It is a very nice community that is very well maintained. The staff is really friendly and they offered a great price. It seems like they could be a little more professional when it comes to the lease agreements, if any changes occur it should be reprinted with the proper corrections.

Our experience has been excellent!

We chose West Park Place because when we visited they gave wonderful personal attention. On the tour the staff addressed residents by their names, they weren't just using a generic "hi." They knew about their residents. The residents were active, friendly, and out & about. We were pleased with the four other properties we toured but at some we didn't see people out & about, it may have been the time of day, but the activeness of West Park Place is really what drew us there. The staff is excellent. We live a ways away but they allowed us to stay and help our loved one get acclimated. We are very pleased, there isn't anything we are not pleased about. It is too early for us to be able to rate the activities, it seems they have a wide variety but our loved one has not participated in them yet.

wonderful facility, close to our home...

wonderful facility, close to our home,have progressive care available without moving, 2 meals per day, transportation free, religious services $2675, nice size apartments

Nice lunch not avail, small 1br, cabl...

Nice lunch not avail, small 1br, cable not incl. Have to pay full fee until va comes in . Has trial day mom can stay and try out.

Visited this facility twice. People t...

Visited this facility twice. People there are wonderful and seems like a place my mom might thrive (as much as she can). They have bent over backward for us and might do a respite there to see how she does. Really like this place.

very friendly alot of activitys. went...

very friendly alot of activitys. went out of the way for there residents.

Very friendly people and fun activiti...

Very friendly people and fun activities. Apartments are okay, but would like own washer and dryer.

Welcome to Senior Star Living at West Park Place! West Park Place is an independent living community in Toledo, OH. There is a special feeling that one experiences when they walk into West Park Place that simply cannot be captured with words. We see it every time a new visitor walks through the door. They come in with a glazed look of uncertainty, not knowing what to expect and they leave with a huge smile on their face. Shattering the misconceptions of what it means to live and work in a retirement community is something the West Park Place family loves to do.

Our individual residences are attractive and bright – waiting for you to add your personal touches with your own cherished belongings. West Park Place’s community living areas and dining rooms welcome you to share stories and make new friends. And because everything is meticulously maintained – with housekeeping and linen service provided, you never have to worry about repairs, cleaning or yard work. Residents' families appreciate the peace of mind they gain by knowing that their loved ones live in a community that supports independence, encourages socialization and wellness and helps their loved one experience a fulfilling lifestyle.

Every year, we talk with thousands of families as they explore their options for transitioning into a senior living community. We find that most families desire the same things for themselves and their loved ones. Safety and security. Comfortable, supportive surroundings. A healthy lifestyle and well-being. A little help when it's needed. Indeed, these are the very basics. And we believe we do them extremely well.

We invite you to come and experience life at West Park Place today!

City info

Covering an area of 84.12 square miles, Toledo was founded in 1833 on the west bank of the Maumee River. This city has a relatively decent walk score although residents may still need a car to accomplish most errands. The weather remains partly cloudy year round, and there are more hot seasons than cold seasons. There are plenty of senior housing facilities and veteran's facilities in the city that offer support to older residents.

- Walkability score: Toledo has a walk score of 46, which means that only some errands can be accomplished on foot. The most walkable neighborhoods include Downtown, Warren Sherman, and TOTCO. Residents can walk to an average of 1 restaurant, bar or coffee shop within 5 minutes.

- Average age in the zip: In 2015, the population reached 297,778 people, with a median age of 36.1 years.

- Number of senior housing facilities in the zip: There are about 143 different types of senior housing facilities in the zip and in surrounding cities. Some offer specialized memory care services and assisted living services while others focus on independent living and offering 55+ communities. Rates start from $631 and go up to $2,750.

- Average weather info: There are about 3.8 months in the hot season and 3.2 months in the cold season. Throughout the year, daily temperatures range from 19 to 83 degrees Fahrenheit. It rarely drops below 3 degrees Fahrenheit and rarely goes above 91 degrees Fahrenheit. The weather is mostly partly cloudy year round.

- Veteran's facilities in the area: While there are quite a few veteran's facilities in the area, the most common place that veterans seek help at is the Toledo Vet Center.

Transportation

Getting to and from various destinations in Toledo is a piece of cake. There are plenty of transportation services available in the city. Public transit options include several bus routes, call-a-ride services, and one main train station. Taxi services and ridesharing services are also available and easily accessible.

- Buses: Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority (TARTA) run all of the bus routes in the city. They offer over 43 residential routes and even 5 call-a-ride services. Seniors who are over the age of 65 and are Medicare cardholders can enjoy reduced fare passes.

- Trains: The main train station in Toledo is the Martin Luther King Jr. Plaza. This station is served by four Amtrak trains on a daily basis. The station connects Toledo to many major cities like Chicago, Ohio, Boston, Massachusetts, New York City, Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania.

- Taxis: Popular taxi options include Best Cab, Righteous Road Cab Co., and Toledo Taxi.

- Ride shares: Uber and Lyft both operate in Toledo.

Health and Safety

The crime rate in Toledo is quite high in comparison to many other U.S. cities. Thankfully, this city has plenty of hospitals and medical facilities and centers in the area.

- Hospitals in the area: There are numerous general hospitals and other medical facilities in Toledo. The largest general hospitals include the ProMedica Toledo Hospital and Mercy Health -- St Anne Hospital.

- Crime rate in the zip: Toledo is 4% safer than all other U.S. cities. Annually, approximately 15,884 property crimes and 3,159 violent crimes are reported. The crime rate is approximately 56.77 per 1,000 residents.

Sports and leisure

It's not hard to engage in sports and recreational activities in Toledo. Stay active and fit by getting together with friends to play golf or tennis. Many of these public recreational facilities won't cost residents a dime. There are also plenty of gyms that offer senior-friendly activities and classes. Find like-minded individuals at these classes.

- Golf courses nearby: Play golf at quite a few different golf courses in Toledo. The most popular ones include the Ottawa Park Golf Course, the Detwiler Park Golf Course, the Collins Park Golf Course, the Tamaron Golf Course and Bay View Retirees Golf Course.

- Tennis courts/clubs nearby: There are approximately 37 tennis courts available in Toledo. Find a court to play at in Smith Park, Joe Brown Park, Willy's Park, Wilson Park or Ottawa Park. Each park has various numbers of courts available. There are six courts available at Ottawa Park and one available at Joe Brown Park.

- Gyms nearby “ senior friendly (aerobics): Numerous gyms in Toledo offer senior-friendly activities and classes. Popular options include Fitness 19, Planet Fitness and Super Fitness Center.

Shopping and entertainment

There's plenty to do in Toledo. The city is filled with shopping malls, grocery stores, restaurants, movie theaters and libraries. There's also plenty of unique attractions, like museums.

- Clothes Shopping nearby: Find plenty of fashionable clothing stores in Toledo. Popular options include Franklin Park Mall, Southland Shopping Plaza or Miracle Mile Shopping Plaza.

- Grocery stores: Grab fresh groceries and produce at Kroger and Foodtown. Find Mediterranean groceries and foods at Muna Market and Asian groceries and foods at Lee's Market or Asian Grocery. The Seaway Market Place of Toledo offers great seafood and organic products.

- Other restaurants: Enjoy some of the best steak, seafood, and pasta that Toledo has to offer at the Real Seafood Company Toledo. PizzaPapalis has some of the best pizzas and Registry Bistro serves a lot of New American eats with a large selection of wine and beer.

- Movie theaters: Catch newly-released Hollywood movies at Cinemark or Eastwood Theater.

- Libraries: Borrow books, movies and many other items from West Toledo Branch Library, Reynolds Corners Branch Library, Toledo Lucas County Public Library, South Branch Library and Locke Branch Library

- Attractions: Get inspired by visiting the Toledo Museum of Art or spend an afternoon watching animals at the Toledo Zoo. The National Museum of the Great Lakes is also one of the best maritime museums around. They offer a lot of educational stations that provide tourists with in-depth information.

Religious facilities

Regardless of one's religion, there are plenty of places of worship within the city. Easily find a prayer group or a place to perform religious practices.

- Religious facilities nearby: Popular churches include the Hope Baptist Church, the Cornerstone Church Toledo, Northpoint Church, Grace Church and the Epworth United Methodist Church. There are several temples in surrounding areas. They include the Hindu Temple of Toledo and the Great Heartland Buddhist Temple of Toledo.