The Court at Barrhaven - Ottawa, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

This is a 15 yr, old building, and is a sister (or brother?) property to Crystal View Lodge, same retirement group. They have the same Nursing care which is out-sourced but on site. Residences are to purchase their own health care packages . Have a very independent fun, active group, strongly promotes independence. Very open to new activities. Red Seal chef and food looks awesome! Strong sense of community and like to do community related activities (creating sleeping mats for doctors without borders to leave at whatever country they visit). Just painted the outside of the building. Looks fresh and inviting to visitors. They have created an Ambassadors club who help new or old residents get use to the place and help them with questions or issues. What a wonderful idea! Doctor on site and has a nearby clinic. Has a beautiful gazebo and patio in the back, with a 1/4 mile walkway around the residence. Close to shopping, no pool on site but has access to Walter Baker centre. Pet friendly. NEGATIVE: While senior's love to wander when on an outing, and it does take time to round everyone up to get back on the bus, they prefer to keep their residences together and contained which makes it easier to keep track of them. Therefore some outings are not planned (Ie.tulip festival)

Lovely place but too large for my Mom. She felt totally overwhelmed and out of her element. It was also quite a bit more expensive than we had expected. The staff were very welcoming and the tour and lunch was very well done. Very clean and modern but not homey feeling. We will continue our search at a later date when Mom feels ready.

Getting Spoiled

I am so happy that my mother loves living here. She is so happy and content and so isn't her cat they have both adjusted well here. She is loving doing the activities and being social. The food is awesome and the dessert forgot about them they are fabulous. Everyone is so nice and friendly between the staff and the residents it is a happy place to be.

Pleasant experience

I have no complaints about the tour I had of this community, the staff where friendly and made sure to take there time with our visit. They gave us lots of great information on everything they had to offer and made sure to answer any questions we had for them. It was just not the right location in the end decision.

Recommend The Court for total hip replacement post-op

After reviewing a few residences, I chose The Court of Barrhaven for my first two weeks of convalescence after total hip replacement surgery. The one-bedroom apartment was a perfect size for me. It gave plenty of space to walk around with my walker. The bathroom was also a good size for the walker and bonus there was a walk-in shower. The closets were plentiful, the tv screen was a good size, the cable access was great, the refrigerator kept my fruit, and the freezer was well able to keep all my ice packs frozen. Lots of cushions to help sitting or to prop up the feet or knees. I would recommend that the armchairs be higher which is critical in my recovery and that the mattress be at least medium firm because a lot of time is spent sitting and lying down. It would have also been great to have wifi access. I did not rate activities because I was not able to access them in these two weeks of care.

Comfort for mom!!

So far, everything is going very well since my mother's move to The Court at Barrhaven. She is really enjoying the activities and making new friends. The meals that are provided there are excellent. The complex is clean and we are happy with our choice.

Residence is, in my opinion, not high class. Met with Jackie, she was wonderful, very helpful. Lunch was quite good and plentiful, with some choice available. Met a couple who shared our table and found them to be very friendly, they would make very good acquaintances, they provide very helpful information and were very honest. They love the place and are very happy. They showed us their unit which gave us a good perspective of what a unit looks like with furniture. Overall reasonably nice but way too far for us and for our daughter for visiting purposes as she does not own a car. Bus service in front of the residence. Amenities and activities are plentiful. THIS PLACE IS NOT FOR US.

Kate Vance

Thanks for visiting our community and having lunch with us. We welcome you back any time!

I Like The Tour

I really liked this community and found that it is a sister property to another that I like. It also looks nice and bright. i did not get to try the food, it was a quick visit. I noticed the staff got along with one another. It was an excellent tour and the tour guide was a nice woman.

First report

The staff were welcoming, toured me well on facilities.
they were helpful in making sure I had what I needed like a chair for the shower and a high seat for the throne for my long legs. They are accessible all day. Kitchen--wow they are efficient, meals delicious, presentation and service top notch. I've met and chatted with some residents, Some smile nd some, as everywhere, go their way t their own pace. Surroundings are tasteful and eye catching.

My nemesis with my dropped foot are the floor coverings (rugs) and I accept that this is a personal problem.

The outdoors is well kept, colourful and appealing. Proximity to mall is a treat.
So after one week only I would give an A+.

The Court at Barrhaven, Ottawa, ON

From the front door to the back The Court at Barrhaven demonstrates the warmth of the Staff and residents, as being that "nice cozy place where you would want to reside". The Chef and his helpers provide the most delicious meals, especially the pastry Chef. I highly recommend it as a place to retire in. Take a chance and visit this wonderful Residence.

happy and content

She absolutely loves The Court at Barrhaven. We were looking at all the locations and facilities one day and ended up being here for an hour and she said this is the place she wants to be. She is still getting acclimated but she absolutely loves it. Her diabetes has been under control which was a huge benefit. She is happy and content.

Relaxing at Barrhaven

I don't see this as a seniors residence, I kind of view it as a Golf resort without the golf course.

Great place for mom to live.

Looked at several places, most we could not afford. This one was reasonable for what you get. The food is "meh" at best. But all in all if you don't like it on a given day you can eat in your own suite. Everyone was very friendly throughout the process.

Stop Looking, this is the Best

The Court at Barrhaven is a wonderful senior's residence for active living seniors. Their meals are unsurpassed with quality, freshness, variety and service. Their staff are attentive, helpful, and friendly. One aspect I like is that the same server/staff takes care of my parents every day. They grow to know them and watch out over them. And the familiar face makes it easier for my parents to relate. Although nursing care is not included, Homewatch Caregivers work in the building, and offer many services to help aging seniors, and provide peace of mind for their relatives. Activities are varied - with something for everyone. A Court bus is available to take the seniors to appointments, and on day trips. And best of all, pets are welcomed. To be able to still have their pets with them is so important to many seniors. Even if they don't have a pet, there are many small dogs that will share their love with strangers when they are going in and out of the building. I highly recommend the Court at Barrhaven!

Excellent visit, place really impressed me. Residents and staff very friendly. All questions answered. Facility fantastic. Apartments beautiful, my only issue was lack of kitchen appliances, not ready give that up, but there is an alternative for baking etc. Dinning room looks appetizing. Definitely a place I would like to be.

Set on well-manicured grounds within a new and growing neighbourhood in Nepean, Ontario, the retirement community of The Court at Barrhaven offers comfort and convenience for active seniors. We’re just minutes from shops, restaurants and healthcare centres, plus entertainment in the nearby capital. Explore our world-famous farmers market, enjoy a picnic on the banks of the Ottawa River or make your way to one of the many nearby cultural attractions, like the Ottawa Art Gallery or the iconic Canadian Parliament Building. With a helpful, 24-hour staff and a group of fun, friendly neighbours, you’ll love it here.

With 29 independent living communities throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick, Atria Retirement Canada is home to more than 3,000 seniors. We create warm, comfortable environments where retired people can live as they please, without the concerns of maintaining a home.