Crystal View Lodge - Nepean, ON

Room Type Monthly Range* (CAD)

CRYSTAL GAZI NG - life at 89.

Limited attractive regular activities

We seem to be reluctant to make changes - co-ordinator does a good job but suggestions usually go unheeded.

Food varies. Sometimes good, sometimes awful. Unfortunately it seems that when potential clients come to a meal, that is a a "bad" day.

Library, TV room, etc. are comfortable and attractive, as is the atrium.

The "competition" has a weekly cocktail hour - it was a toss-up where I came!

This place is very different than most senior residences. Building 20 years old and is a lodge. Contains separate buildings for 2 bedrooms and others. Nursing care is out-sourced on-site. Residences are to purchase their own health care packages . Have a very independent fun, active group, strongly promotes independance. Very open to new activities. Red Seal chef and food looks awesome!
NEGATIVE: property does not have much walking area. Park is 2 blocks away. Can only handle independent and assisted living residences. Since this Lodge is older many of the rooms have older furnishings. (cabinets, refrigerators, facets) slowly they are modifying their rooms but are not opposed to the resident to upgrade themselves.

Respite stay at Crystal View Lodge

Mostly, we enjoyed the friendliness. The meals, not so much. We are mostly vegetarian, but do eat and enjoy seafood. In comparison. Still, the Chef did his best, would come to our table on occasion and for one meal, treated us with the best veggie burger we've ever had!

We would certainly consider coming again for a respite stay.

Enjoying my stay

Crystal View is a beautiful, well maintained community. The staff is caring, pleasant and accommodating. I am enjoying my stay here.

Very nice there

They were very nice there, but it was just not for her. The service was fine and I don't have any complaints.

Staff is extremely friendly

The staff is extremely friendly. They do not have real nursing on site, which is a drawback. My Dad's number one reason for not staying here is that he found mealtimes very stressful because of the open seating arrangement. He felt like he was opening himself to rejection three times a day by approaching tables and being told the seats were reserved for someone else. He started dreading meal times. He found the people cliquey and unwelcoming. From what I observed many people were quite friendly with him, so I don't think that is quite accurate, but I think the constant stress of worrying about where he was going to sit coloured his perceptions.
We will be looking for a place with assigned seating. Everything else was great. Thanks again for accommodating my dad. It was an important experience for him.

Very pleased with this place!!

I have no complaints with how things are going for my loved one since she has recently made the move into this community. The staff have been very friendly to her and have accommodated her needs as best as possible. She has been enjoying participating in many of the activities and the social environment at this facility. My mom has mentioned that meals are either hit or miss at meal time.

Love Crystal View Lodge

My wife and have lived here nearly two weeks, and we cannot rave about how much we love it.
The staff are very friendly and we have met and made many new friends.
Could not ask for a better place for a senior to live.

Friendly Staff!!

I was only at this community for a short period of time but while I was there I have no complaints of how things went. The staff were friendly and made sure to accommodate my needs as best as they could. The meals where just fine and they had a lot of variety to choose from. I just ended up moving out because it was a little to big of a facility for my liking.

A Magic Experience

My experience was wonderful.

So much more than I could have ever hoped for. [Removed] was not only knowledgeable regarding the residence, showed such an incredible understanding of my situation. I never felt as if I was being rushed into a decision and he spent all the time I needed to make my decision. It has renewed my belief in the basic goodness and kindness of people in your business.

An added bonus is your Pet Friendly Policy

We Enjoyed The Visit

We are at this community for respite and it's going fine. It is clean and well maintained. It's a lovely facility and there is enough space to move around and get through. All the food is terrific and we had 2 to 4 options to pick our meals. We did not really get involved with the activities they had. We had looked at this community before as a potential retirement living and with our experience we would come back.

A New Home for Mom

Very pleasant greet. Tour was thorough.Very willing to work with you to get you into their home. Great with follow up and quick response yo my questions.

It Feels Like Home

My mom and brother are doing very well here. it is a nice and bright community. Their rooms have a nice layout and I like the rooms too. The staff are excellent to communicate with and really, really exceptional workers. I have no complaints about the facility's cleanliness. The meals are good for the most part. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone.

Crystal View Lodge not the place for our Mother.

We visited Crystal View Lodge in Nepean, Ontario today. We found the rooms smaller compared to other Retirement homes we have seen. Not as clean as expected. This home has a few Residents who are allowed to smoke in their rooms on the first floor. We could smell smoke all the way down the hall, that being said we are non smokers. We also noted they are not staffed for Registered Nursing personal of any kind 24/7 which made us feel it was unsafe for our Mother to live there. All of this information made us decide to drop this Retirement Lodge off of our list.

The reception we received to organize something for my mom was exceptional. The facilities are pristine, elegant and the staff is very friendly. My mom will only be moving there in 3 months so it is hard to assess, but so far so good. Fine-tuning some administrative issues is a little more complex then I would like (cat & mouse chasing); a little disappointed with that. Zofia (head housekeeper) really makes the experience delightful for my mom.

Up to this point I have been pretty pleased.

Up to this point I have been pretty pleased. The people have been very friendly, and the place is well kept. They have lots of things offered to do. They have a beautiful dining room, and the food is good, with an excellent chef. I haven't found any hidden charges up to this point. I liked the whole setting, it had a comfortable look to it, it was very inviting, that's why I picked it.

The food here is great! It's clean and the staff is friendly.

I think it's been fine. I haven't had any complaints so far. The food here is great! It's clean and the staff is friendly. The residents are all pretty friendly too. There are plenty of activities, and social opportunities. It's working out well.

Very nice atmosphere. Large rooms. Check on meal alternatives.
One bedroom [removed] approx.
Many interesting activities.

The place was nice and bright. The room was a little on the small size from others we have seen. The place was not very busy not alot of people around. There was a sit dancing session going on... the person leading it did not seem very enthusiastic and the people did not seem to be smiling and enjoying it. The resident that I talk to said he would have perfered staying in his own home. So overall I am not sure about it. I was supposed to take Mom to see it Saturday but I just realized this is easter weekend, so will have to cancel the appointment.

beautiful place, just too big for my mother. too far for her to walk to get to the dining room and back, few and small elevators. No 24hr nursing on call. Weekly Laundry/housekeeping

admin admin

Thank you for your feedback. Input from our residents and families helps us to continually improve. We are sorry that Crystal View Lodge was not a perfect fit for you mother. We invite you to tour another nearby community, such as The Court at Barrhaven, where she may be more comfortable. If you would like to share some suggestions with us, please contact us directly at [removed].

Laurie Higgins called me on the Saturday prior to my visit, for confirmation. Upon arrival, the staff couldn't locate her and an employee "Dan", with another colleague gave me a tour. Neither were knew as much as they should regarding the facility. Much was under renovation. AND, the walk from a patient's room to the dining room seemed vey long. They also did not seem to have sufficient medical staff 24/7. Apparently Laurie Higgins is no longer with the organization. Again, I don't think a suitable place for my mother.

My sister, Julie, my parents George and Betty and myself visited the home as planned. We arrive a few minutes early and James was there to greet us. We were impressed with the home on many fronts. Clean, modern, bright, inviting. Friendly staff and tenants seemed happy. Menu was more flexible than existing homes menu. Negatives were smaller rooms or suites than existing and expensive costs to deliver medication 5 times daily to my parents. At $10 per visit = $1500 extra per month which made this more expensive than their existing home.

Conveniently located in Ottawa’s west end, close to shopping, dining and cultural venues like the National Arts Centre and Centrepoint Theatre, Crystal View Lodge offers a simplified lifestyle that gives you more time to do the things you love, while fully enjoying the excitement and entertainment of one of Canada’s most popular cities. We’re just minutes from the International Gallery of Canada, the historic ByWard Market, Dows Lake and Parliament Hill. And you’ll love coming home to a warm, friendly group of people who feel more like family than neighbours.

With 29 independent living communities throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick, Atria Retirement Canada is home to more than 3,000 seniors. We create warm, comfortable environments where retired people can live as they please, without the concerns of maintaining a home.