The Bristal at North Hills - North Hills, NY

Beautifully appointed community right on the LIE service road.

Very well organozed and clean. Built specifically for assisted living and it showed. Seemed expensve compared to others perhaps because of location

Liked the facility, rooms are very small. The staff seemed lovely and many activities for residents. Did not feel like an assisted living facility.

A welcoming environment

My uncle lived at the Bristal in North Hills. During that time period he became one of the most popular guys there...not because of what he did but because all of the staff gave him the attention and respect a senior deserves. "Hi [Removed], have a great day Bernie, how is uncle [Removed]"...etc. So I say thank you to everyone and who became his friend as you were all his! His niece.

Highly Recommended

My mother was a resident at the Bristal for almost two years. She unfortunately passed away in December, 2015 of heart failure. She was almost 93. My mother loved the Bristal. She was so happy there. She loved the people, her room, the food, the activities, the entertainment, the services and the beauty and cleanliness of the entire place. She used to say..."I'm trying to find something about the place I don't like...but I can't find anything...I feel like I died and went to heaven."
I want to thank the Bristal staff for making the last two years of my mother's life so happy, peaceful and safe. My brothers and I were so relieved that we did not have to worry about her and knew she was in safe hands and enjoying her life so much. I also want to thank the other residents who were so friendly and caring. My mother made many friends and felt so loved. I highly recommend The Bristal...and if I am still aroud in 15-20 years, I hope to be a resident there myself.

Kudos to Reflections

My cousin was moved into Reflections in the summer of 2015. Betsy and her staff managed the difficult transition with grace and style. We had worked valiantly to keep her in her own home - alone - for several years. She had become angry, lonely and confused. We did not realize how much she was missing. A very social person, she is always glad to see us, but is quite settled and enjoying the company of the Reflections community. We expected safe and clean, and while we got that, we also got a big bonus: happy.

Excellent in every way

Difficult decision to ever move parents from their lifelong home. Monica assisted in every way to ease my parents' fears of transition. Care, forward planning, meals, cleanliness are exceptional. Peace of mind for all.

I would recommend this facility for it's environment, activities and the cleanliness

Peace of Mind

My 89-year old father moved to The Bristal at North Hills about 5 months ago, having lived alone for 22 years. We all thought this transition would be a challenge for him, and yet, from the very beginning of our experience with the place and the staff, it is so affirming, reassuring and comforting to see him acclimated, relaxed and happy in his new environs. It is a pleasure to spend time with my father in this beautiful new home, where he has access to well-balanced meals, a selection of activities, and a most caring, skilled, talented and cheerful staff. We live out of state and come frequently to visit, but having this experience with The Bristal gives us - his children and grandchildren - much needed peace of mind.

ellen antonucci

Thank you, Janet for this wonderful review. Our staff works diligently to make sure the transition for all of our new residents is as comfortable and pleasant as possible. So we are very pleased to hear that your father is happy with his home at The Bristal.

The overall experience was very good. I found them to be very helpful and they are looking out for the best interest of the residents. The one thing I would say to improve on is the contract, the wording gets a little tricky so they could be a little clearer on that. They are very helpful and always offering suggestions.

My Dad is Happy!

We moved our father in recently. He didn't want to move and it was with a lot of convincing he finally agreed but it was very hard for him. The staff at the Bristal immediately made him feel so comfortable, quickly introducing him to people. He had a handful of friends in the first week. It seems that most of the residents like to keep busy, like our dad. I couldn't imagine going through this experience without the help of the Bristal staff. The Director is hand on and very approachable. The wellness staff give him his medications and I've already seen a big difference in his overall health and strength. I often wonder how many times he did without something at home like a meal or his medicine. He's such a different person now. I love visiting him in the Bristal, the residents and staff are like a big family. I love seeing how happy he is in this time of his life when things seemed so bleak not too long ago.

ellen antonucci

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this wonderful review. We are thrilled to hear about your dad's positive transformation. The Bristal at North Hills is dedicated to providing the best care for your loved one and we're glad to hear that we have succeeded!

4 stars

My loved one lived at The Bristal Assisted Living at North Hills for a short period of time. Overall, It was a pretty good experience. Everyone was friendly and nice.

ellen antonucci

Thank you - we appreciate your positive feedback!

My 86 year old mother moved into The Bristal North Hills November, 2014. The Bristal staff is very welcoming, kind, caring and friendly.As well as taking excellent care of Mom, the staff cares about us, her family. My husband, son & I are so pleased that Mom/Grandmom now lives in this safe and caring environment where everyone says hello. Mom has made friends and takes advantage of many of the trips, exercise room and library. Thank you Bristal North Hills for giving all of us piece of mind.

ellen antonucci

Thank you! We always love to hear great feedback from the families of our residents. Our team is committed to creating the best home for your loved one, and we are glad to hear that your mom is taking full advantage of all of the activities and services we have to offer.

Originally I was very happy with the Bristal. The community seemed vibrant and the rooms are spacious for the price. I left a deposit and our experience completely changed. The building is very large and there are rooms very far from the elevators. The only room that was available was a one bedroom (we wanted a studio and we were originally told by the director of sales that if a studio was not available, we would be offered a one bedroom at the studio price until a room opened up) as far from the elevator as could be, which was too far from my dad to walk. We also noted on both tours that the floors needed vacuuming and had litter, lint, etc in many areas throughout the facility, and I did not see housekeeping actively working either time. I was told that the Bristal does not send out staff to do pre-admission assessments and I would have to bring my dad to them, which is impossible because he is in a subacute rehab in central NJ. So he would be moving in and I would be signing a contract without knowing the level of care that he would need. I was also told that the Bristal charges a pet fee of $1,500, which was not the case in other facilities I looked at. The director of sales has been out sick for the past week and there has been no one to respond sufficiently to our questions about discharge planning and moving in. Today we called and left a message to tear up our deposit and decided to go with another smaller facility in our area. I am very disappointed as I thought the community would be very good for my dad, since independent living residents are there with the assisted living residents. But the lack of responsiveness from the staff was just not acceptable, especially in this stressful time in our lives. They just didn't seem to care.

The cream of the crop but t...

The cream of the crop but the parents can't outlive their money so after one year had to look elsewhere.

Very happy

The activities are incredibly strong. My loved one is thrilled to be there. I was a little questionable - the sales department gave us a cool feeling, but over all the Bristol is wonderful. My loved one is happy! My loved one looks incredible now – so much better than living alone.

Phenomenal director!

So far I'm very happy with the level of care here, I'd give them 5s across the board. The staff are amazing! The director in particular is phenomenal, she's really on top of everything. She immediately knows who I am when I call and can tell me what my Mom is up to and how she is doing. It's great to see that all of the staff really get to know each of the residents.
The facility itself is very nice looking, and they always keep it very clean.

Happy to be here!

My parents have been living in the Reflections Unit at the Bristal, North Hills since June 2013. Their quality of life is much better than it was for a long time. They get a lot of attention, have lots of activities to keep them alert & active, have special parties & delicious, nourishing meals three times a day plus snacks, go on outings & are well cared for. The staff is affectionate, dedicated and above friendly. They keep me informed on how they are doing and if they need anything. They have a beauty parlor & physical therapy room along with a lovely sitting room for company as well as a sunny activity room. All their needs are met-physically, mentally & emotionally. They are both very happy there and we are so glad we chose it for their new home. We have no regrets.

Great Choice

The building is well maintained and the apartments are fairly spacious. The staff really seems to care and take pride in their work. They greet, schmooze, and engage the residents, and there are always activities and excursions for those who want to participate. Food services are probably their weakest "asset", but then again, I find it hard to believe any single place can always satisfy everyone day in and out. Mom has been there for a few years and management and staff have always been responsive to any issues or concerns we've had, and I know she is well cared for.

Popular Place

This is a very popular community in Long Island. They have a pool. Everyone is very nice to you.

ellen antonucci

Thank you for the feedback. The residents really love lounging around the pool and relaxing during the warm weather months.

The Bristal is great for assisted living...

The Bristal is great for assisted living unless you have dementia and really have to be watched.

ellen antonucci

We are pleased to hear that you feel that the personal care assistance we offer in our community is great. As always, we appreciate and value the feedback provided to us. We investigate all observations and those we find that are valid we use as teachable moments for our staff and organization. We welcome the opportunity to discuss the concern you addressed in your review. Please feel free to contact the Senior Vice President of Operations, Maryellen McKeon at Ultimate Care Management located in Ronkonkoma, New York. Looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Brand New

They are a brand new community. They were very good and the community was very lovely. Everything was good here I just didn't get the feeling like they were completely setup yet and not at full gear. The community is very nice and the staff was wonderful.