The Bristal at Westbury- Westbury, NY

Be Aware of Unexpected Non-Refundable Entry Fees

After a review by Bristal staff, a relative was accepted into Bristal At Westbury. Overall, the level of care was thought to be satisfactory. It soon became apparent that my relative would need a higher level of care than first thought. The Bristal staff made it very clear that this would not fit their operating and support model. They asked my relative to leave, with little advance warning.

We did find a replacement facility, which was not easy, at an increased cost. But, in trying to get back what we thought was a portion of the initial two-month deposit ($15,000), we learned that one month $7,500 was actually a non-refundable initial fee. Bottom line-out $7,500. This was NOT explained to us when our relative moved in. We were told there was no way to recover this money. Is essence, it was in the small print of the contract.

I suggest any new senior citizens considering moving into a Bristal review the agreement very carefully and fully understand that you are paying a significant up-front, nonrefundable fee to to into one of these facilities, should you leave after 30 days.

Hope this information is helpful

Family Member

ellen antonucci

Researching, selecting and moving a parent or loved one into a senior living community can often be a stressful event — for both the resident and the family. There is so much going on at once that it is easy to miss or misunderstand a contractual detail, or perhaps even conflate varying polices between different communities that the family is considering.

At The Bristal at Westbury, as with all of our communities, when this happens on occasion, it poses a difficult moment for us, as well. The last thing we desire is to cause the resident or family any undue concern or stress. In fact, we’re here for quite the opposite: to provide care, comfort, confidence and peace of mind.

The policy in question in this issue — the “non-refundable community fee” — reflects the same policy in place at all communities of The Bristal; which is, if a resident moves in and stays longer than 30 days, but ultimately decides to seek other options, then the first month of the stay is considered a non-refundable community fee that is withheld from the standard 2-month deposit. This policy is not only verbally shared with the family multiple times during tours, as well as prior and during the lease signing, but it is also clearly printed in both the brochure and the residency agreement, not as fine print.

In this case, it appears the resident needed a higher level of care than the family initially anticipated, and other arrangements needed to be made. We fully understand and appreciate how this development might change circumstances for the family. And while we empathize with the family and the new course they felt they needed to take, we can state unequivocally that at no time are the residents “asked to leave with little advance warning,” unless they are a danger to themselves or others, or if the situation becomes unsafe for the resident. Such uncaring behavior is wholly incongruent with operations at The Bristal and would be an untenable service model for any business, let alone senior care.

We regret, of course, that the engagement ended in the way it did, but we stand by our actions in this matter. We wish the family nothing but the best for the future, and we will support them in any we can as they continue considering senior living options.

Another Tour For Me

They were professional and they gave a tour that was great. I wanted a new community and a location that is very close to me. They were not newer or closer.

5 stars

We are happy with this community. The staff are very nice . My loved one enjoys the food and they offer a big variety of choices. They offer daily activities including movies, exercises and card games. The community is exceptionally clean. There is no smell anywhere in the community. The prices are affordable and better than the other communities in the area. I would recommend this community.

Great staff!

The Bristal is very nice! It looks great and the staff are really nice. Though my loved one is having a difficult time with the transition from home, they are sure to cater to my loved one's needs in the best way that they can.

Great Property!!

I really liked the floor plan at this community and how open everything was. They have a great activity program for all of the residents to enjoy throughout the week as well as a wonderful dinning experience. The staff where very helpful to us on our tour and made sure to provide my loved one and I with great information. Overall it was just not the right location for my father in the end decision.

ellen antonucci

Thank you for taking the time to extend your positive thoughts! We are happy you had a good experience on your visit to The Bristal.

No clear cost

We toured this community when looking for my dad and it was nice. The meals looked good.The issue we had is there was no set price. There we additional costs for certain amenities.They wanted us to get an evaluation with the doctor before moving in and the price could have changed between that time because of care needs. We felt that the cost was too flexible for someone on a fixed income.

ellen antonucci

At all communities of The Bristal, we conduct a thorough evaluation and intake session of all residents prior to acceptance. This review helps us determine — together as a team with the family — the amount of additional care every resident may require that goes beyond the assistance with ADLs, the activities of daily living, that comprise the basic assisted living care model. In one form or another, this is standard practice across the assisted living industry.

At times, the amount of daily care required may be initially underestimated during the interview; or, perhaps subsequent changes in resident health, habits or evolving family preferences result in the need for greater care or assistance than is originally anticipated. Again, such practice is standard in the industry, as senior health and senior care are an ever-changing dynamic. With that said, rest assured that at The Bristal we operate with the highest standards of integrity, and our interest is never in arbitrarily raising costs, but rather, ensuring that each resident receive the level of care and attention demanded to ensure his or her safety, comfort, health and well-being.

Moreover, any increase in rent to cover such additions in daily assistance, whether with eating, dressing, personal hygiene or medication dispensation, is always explored and implemented thoroughly and transparently with the family. They are never unilaterally instituted by The Bristal without the family’s express knowledge and consent.

In addition to the above, we ask you please to consider this: When it comes to making a choice about an assisted living community, we have found over our more than a decade operating that every resident and family has unique and diverse needs — distinct expectations, priorities, perspectives and experiences — and that some aspects which prove essential for some families are less important to others. This is why we encourage all families who are considering The Bristal to visit us in person, take a tour, ask their own questions, and see for themselves what makes us such a successful and sought after senior care solution in the communities we are privileged to serve.

Not Kosher!

This place provides excellent care to their patients. I really am impressed with this community. They are always very, very clean and neat. The only thing that stopped us was that they are not a Kosher community and that is what my uncle wanted.

lots of activities

My Mother Is Doing Well

My mother is doing very well here at this community. It is a very beautiful facility. They do a very good job with keeping the community nice and clean. The dining area is wonderful, it is just like a restaurant. She is pleased with the food. There are wonderful activities offered. They have been very informative. I know she is safe and enjoying her time here.

Nice place, good activities

So far our experience with The Bristal at Westbury has been a good one! It's a clean looking place, the people are friendly, and my loved ones really seem to have settled in well! They didn't get out much before, but they've been taking advantage of all the activities now that they're here! It's a nice place overall, and worth a look if you're looking into senior living in the area.

I reached out to A Place For Mom several months ago to help choose the right path for my parents. The coordinator there has been a Godsend! Tracy recommended different avenues and followed up with me it was with her encouragement that we toured The Bristal of Westbury. About three weeks ago we moved our parents into their Assisted Living program. My father needed much persuasion to agree to this move. I can't say enough good things about the Bristal. My father already looks so much more relaxed and rested. His demeanor calmer. My mom, who has dementia is more engaged and interactive than she was at home.. The staff is wonderful and has answered every question and addressed our every need. I have 4 siblings so we have had many questions, each has been thoroughly answered. We feel so relieved to know our parents are safe and well cared for. The Bristal is clean and beautifully decorated, their apartment is perfect for them! I highly recommend The Bristal of Westbury!

ellen antonucci

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. The team at The Bristal at Westbury loves to hear that they are making a difference!

My Mom was a resident for just 2 weeks before becoming ill. The Wellness staff did not recognize that she was not feeling well and forced her to go to the dining room for lunch, even though she was sick. She wound up falling in her room because she was so weak. Two days later, she wound up in the hospital with severe bronchitis. We kept/paid for her room for 2 months hoping she would go back after her hospital stay, but she never did. We realized that they could not care for her and we didn't trust them. [removed] Bottom line: Administration was very accommodating during our tour and seemed sincere, but once my Mom became a Resident, we couldn't even get them on the phone to ask a question. They didn't even answer my emails. DO NOT send your loved one here. Its just a business to these people and they have no compassion. They are just into making money and could care less about the Residents.

ellen antonucci

The care, health, and wellbeing of our residents is our number one priority bar none at The Bristal Assisted Living. So, upon hearing news of this unfortunate event, an immediate investigation was launched, as is our standard procedure. Here is what we understand occurred. This new resident became ill with a cold and was seen by her physician. The resident preferred to remain in bed, but the doctor felt it unwise for her to stay immobile for long periods, because the concern was that the cold could degrade into Pneumonia — and that would be a far worse situation. Deferring to doctor’s advice, the staff carefully escorted her down to the dining room, so that she could get the movement and exercise the doctor desired in order to help prevent the cold from worsening. While the specific cause of her fall is not certain, it is, unfortunately, not an uncommon thing for seniors in a frail state to fall, especially if further weakened by a cold. At no time was the resident left alone during this episode. And while we do all in our power to prevent such occurrences, they do tend to happen from time to time in any senior care setting, in spite of how diligent an organization’s cautions and attentions may be. While the Executive Director of The Bristal at Westbury recounts not having received any calls or emails from the family on this matter, we do wish this resident and her family only best, and we encourage them to contact us to clarify this issue further.

In addition, please consider this: When it comes to making a choice about an Assisted Living community, we have found, over our more than a decade operating, that every resident and family has unique and diverse needs — distinct expectations, priorities, perspectives and experiences — and that some aspects which prove essential for some families are less important to others. This is why we encourage all families who are considering The Bristal to visit us in person, take a tour, ask their own questions, and see for themselves what makes us such a successful and sought after senior care solution in the communities we are privileged to serve.

It was nice, but very expensive,

I toured here when I was looking for options for a loved one. If I had been looking for myself this the one I liked. It was nice, but very expensive, and their pricing was not all inclusive. My loved one isn't very fancy, this just wasn't the right fit for him.

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things have turned out at The Bristal, I would give them high marks across the board! The staff is friendly and professional, and the facility itself is well kept and clean. I would highly recommend them!

ellen antonucci

Thank you for the recommendation!

Mom new resident

The staff and administrators made it very easy to get my mom moved in. She's been there approximately a little over a month, I believe The food and facility are very clean and quite good. However, I do think some of the prices for the extra services like medication and showering are quite expensive and potentially not worth the value . I did experience a nonresponse to my phone calls concerning certain issues around rent and the two months in advance which resulted in finding out the first month went to a general community rent which I believe was not explained as thoroughly and when the question was answered basically said read the contract .

ellen antonucci

Medication dispensation is an area of senior care that we take quite seriously at The Bristal, and, indeed, protocols are stringently regulated by the New York State Department of Health. Behind the scenes, the service goes well beyond the simple administering of drugs. There are extensive care-based planning and quality control measures involved; there are multiple procedures that must be complied with in order to avoid dispensing errors in scheduling, amounts, dosages and frequency, all of which must be monitored and documented per individual resident; there is also regulated narcotics checking that must occur during shift changes, etc. While it is a time- and labor-intensive service, it is designed and overseen to ensure the utmost safety in the provision of care to our residents. Any questions remaining unanswered on this or any other issue can be brought directly to the Executive Director at The Bristal at Westbury, where it will be expeditiously addressed.

Very nice looking place!

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for our loved one. This was a VERY nice looking community! However, I don't think it would have been a great fit for my loved one. Our loved one was in need of memory care, and while they do have a memory care wing here it was small and not really the focus of the community. For someone only in need of assisted living this place looked fantastic, however! It was like a big cruise ship, they had a very extensive activities list as well!

ellen antonucci

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We're very proud of the community and of course, our team. We're so sorry that you didn't get the impression that the memory care area was a focus in our community. We intentionally developed the neighborhood to be small so the residents feel more comfortable in their home and the staff is always close by. If you have the time, please visit again and speak with Bridget who is the director of the neighborhood. She'll be happy to connect you with our resident's families so you may speak with them directly regarding your concerns. Again, thank you for the compliments.

peace of mind

It's only been a month since my mother has been in there, so we are still getting acclimated and have somewhat limited experience to go on, but so far it has been a good experience. One of the main things that means a lot to me is that I know mom is safe, which gives us great peace of mind.

ellen antonucci

We so happy to hear that your mother is doing well. The team members of The Bristal at Westbury love to hear that they are exceeding our residents and families expectations. Thank you!

Very nice place

My loved one has only been here a short time, but so far everything at The Bristal has been very nice! It's a nice looking, clean community, and the staff have all been friendly and welcoming. We've had a few minor issues with the aide staff not passing along care instructions I've left, but overall it has been a good experience.

ellen antonucci

Thank you so much for the kind words. We're very happy that your loved one is doing well!

Top of the line

What a wonderful experience to have my mother come here and not have to worry about one single thing. Her cleaning, laundry, etc. is all done for her, she receives 3 terrific meals per day, the wellness center is right there on premises, and the staff couldn't be friendlier and more helpful. Thanks to all of you... especially Susan [Removed] and Colleen, both of whom were extremely helpful in setting all this up.

Top of the line

What a wonderful experience to have my mother come here and not have to worry about one single thing. Her cleaning, laundry, etc. is all done for her, she receives 3 terrific meals per day, the wellness center is right there on premises, and the staff couldn't be friendlier and more helpful. Thanks to a ll of you... especially Susan [Removed] and Colleen, both of whom were extremely helpful in setting all this up.

The best call that I ever made!

A Place for Mom is an outstanding free service. This past month, I had to decide where to move my 91 year old mom from rehabilitation. I saw the ad for A Place for Mom on TV and made the call that was the best call I have ever made! Tammy Singer answered all my questions, and then kept in touch daily to help me sort through so many decisions. With Tammy's help my mom is now living at The Bristal at Westbury. It is such a beautiful and accommodating place for my mom. I do not know how I would have managed without Tammy's knowledge and guidance.

ellen antonucci

We're certainly thrilled that Tammy referred you to our community. We work very closely with A Place For Mom and they frequently recommend our community because we exceed the resident's expectations of the services we provide. It's wonderful to know that your mom is doing well.

The right decision

9 months ago I was faced with the difficult decision of moving my grandmother out of her home and into the Reflections wing at the Bristal. Once she settled in , I noticed little things like the staff was able to get her into a much needed routine. My grandmother even went to the onsite beauty salon to get her hair & nails done. This was something that I could not encourage her do. I believe my grandmothers quality of life has improved far beyond what I could have provided for her. I can't say enough about the staff, they will treat your loved one like family.

ellen antonucci

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. The team at the Bristal at Westbury is always thrilled when they are acknowledged for a job well done. We're happy that your grandmother is doing well.

Very nice looking community

We toured this location when we were looking into care options for my loved one. This place actually would have been our first choice, but unfortunately they did not have any opening during the time of our search. It's a lovely facility, and the staff were all very friendly and professional. We actually ended up selecting another Bristal community, albeit one a bit less conveniently located.

ellen antonucci

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We're sorry we didn't have an apartment for your loved one at the time you needed but we're thrilled that you found a sister community.

Excellent! Highly recommended!

My dad was living at the Bristal Westbury for the last six months he was alive. The staff and facilities were fantastic. He had a great apartment, excellent food and care and was able to maintain his independence. He also made some great friends. Wish he would have lived longer so he could have enjoyed the community even more.

ellen antonucci

We're so sorry for your loss. We're happy that we were able to get to know your dad and to have him call our community home for the six months he was with us. Thank you for the kind words.

We were most impressed with...

We were most impressed with the staff: extremely professional and helpful on every aspect of the process. Beautiful facility in an excellent location for a person who wants to maintain independence.

ellen antonucci

It is always wonderful to receive kind words from reviewers. Thank you so much!

The place is beautiful!

The place is beautiful! I camped out on their couch when I got them moved in. I guess we are a little disappointed that there aren't many people that they can connect with. They seem to be having a difficult time adjusting. There's also a restaurant downstairs that must do a disco thing on the weekends and you can hear them late at night, it's a beautiful place everyone there is attentive and lovely. Behind the restaurant there is also is a recycle center or something similar that is kind of noisy.

ellen antonucci

We are quite proud of The Bristal at Westbury, and it gratifies us that so many residents and their families find it such a lovely, caring and attentive place. It is. The truth is, for all new residents, it’s perfectly normal to expect that some adjustments may be called for at first; assisted living is a major life move. But at all communities of The Bristal, we find that residents adapt very quickly, find people with similar interests, make new friends, and settle into the groove of a new and rewarding chapter in their lives. Part of our mission at The Bristal is to ensure that these transitions go as smoothly as possible.

Now, there is a restaurant next door that gets a bit more active than usual during the weekends; but, in actuality, most residents don’t seem to mind. We really haven’t had any complaints in the noise department. However, rest assured, should noise become an issue, we will certainly look into it. We do everything in our power to make our residents feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible. After all, The Bristal is their home, and we never lose sight of that fact.

Very Nice

Price range is about 3500/month to start. They have activities that looked really fun. It was nice, everything was nice. I don't remember if they allow pets.

ellen antonucci

Thank you for taking the time to review. Our Friendship Suites start at $2900 and yes, we do welcome pets!

A New and Spotless Home

My mom recently moved into the Bristal at Westbury. The staff has been very attentive and has overseen the transition of my mother to her first assisted living situation. As issues have come up, the management has patiently responded to my and my mother's concerns. The entire building is "spic and span" clean and spotless, and there is a pleasant atmosphere throughout. My mom has enjoyed some of the group activities and has found the meals to be delicious. It has been a tremendous relief to have her medication managed by the Bristal and have her doctor and physical therapist available on site.

ellen antonucci

Thank you Michele for your review. We're always thrilled to hear that we are exceeding our resident and their family's expectations!

Would have been good before dad got sick

I thought that maybe my mother and father would go there before my father got sick but the Bristal couldn't cope with what my father had eventually. It was more independent living, we spoke to a couple of people who lived there and they raved about the place, it was clean, it was nice looking, it was cheerful.

Like this best so far.

Like this best so far.

ellen antonucci

Thank you. We're happy to hear that you liked our community!

visited dad impressed

visited dad impressed

ellen antonucci

That's great to hear! Thank you.

Pros: great layout, near shopping...

Pros: great layout, near shopping. The Director was terrific. Cons: view of train tracks and cemetery.

ellen antonucci

Thank you for the kind words. We completely understand your concerns. However, many find the convenience to the train a plus for an easy commute to and from the city. Also the location is in the town of Westbury so it is an easy walk to shopping. And many of our residents attend services at the beautiful St. Brigid's church which is across the street. Again, thank you for you input!

Very nice talks with staff. Smaller ...

Very nice talks with staff. Smaller and may be great for mom. Mom wants to visit here.

ellen antonucci

Good news! We look forward to meeting your mother.

The Bristal at Westbury is just one member of a growing family of Assisted Living communities that have been built on Long Island, by Long Islanders, bearing The Bristal name. Like all of our communities, Westbury has been designed to strike the ideal balance between privacy and protection. Fully licensed by the New York State Department of Health, we’ve planned every detail of this rental lifestyle to enable our residents, and their families, to make the most of each activity-filled day. From our spacious and attractive friendship suites and studios, to our one bedroom apartments, replete with roomy kitchens and generous bathrooms, The Bristal at Westbury is
designed and developed to excite and delight the most demanding of families. Yours.

Reflecting on Memory Loss
Each of The Bristal communities houses a special area called Reflections. Reflections is a comprehensive memory enhancement program that specializes in dealing with older adults who are facing early to mid-stage Alzheimer’s Disease and other memory-related cognitive disorders. Each location is staffed with experienced professionals who are trained and equipped to enhance the quality of life for these special-needs residents and their families. For instance, a sophisticated wander system, featuring electronic bracelets, alerts the staff whenever a Reflections resident nears an exiting door. Residents enjoy access to a secure outdoor courtyard. All in all, care at Reflections is provided in a safe, secure and compassionate environment – a place, quite literally, our residents call home.