The Bonaventure - Ventura, CA

Very nice, clean, lots of amenities. All apartments have kitchenette with fridge and sink, cupboards. Units have adequate closet space. Dining room pleasant and the lunch smelled good. Full activity schedule. Small studios are very small but adequate. Nice grounds, but not a lot of mature vegetation. Will definitely consider when I'm ready. Independent living only, but extra help can be arranged at additional cost. Marketing manager frank and informative. On the east end of town so probably a little less fog during fog season.

Concern about security at the Bonaventure

I am concerned because there is no security at the Bonaventure retirement facility. Many times windows and doors are left unlocked at night. Also there is no one at the desk after 8PM at night. Residents feel insecure about their safety. Complaints are made with management, but nothing is done about it. If you are concerned about your loved one consider this problem.

Holiday Marketing

Hello, we are disappointed to hear that you did not have a more positive experience with us at The Bonaventure. We value the feedback you have provided, and it has been shared with the regional and community management teams for review.

The community does not have a security guard onsite and there have been no past incidents. The community is a safe place, and all doors and windows are locked by the closing managers when they leave at 7:30 PM. The only way to enter the building after hours is with a resident security card. The general manager James will be reaching out to you to address your concerns further. Thank you for providing us with this feedback.

Nice facility, but traffic noises are loud

I toured here when trying to find a place for myself to live. I decided not to move in because there was major traffic nearby and I just thought the traffic noise would be a lot. The cleanliness was pretty good and when I walked in, it was set up pretty similarly to where I’m at now. The only thing I had against the place was that there were no hiking trails close by and too much traffic.

Amazing Staff!!

I have currently moved into this community and so far things are going just fine for me. The staff are all so wonderful and have treated me just like family. They have warm hearts and great personalities which I really was impressed with. There is something is going almost everyday all different hours to keep us busy and involved with the different residents. The food is also fantastic and I love my dinning experience. I would defiantly recommend this place.

Lovely community!!

I have no complaints about the care that my loved one has been receiving at this community. The staff have been wonderful and helpful during the transition as well as accommodating to any of her needs at the best of there ability. She is able to bring her meals to her room when she is not feeling well and remain comfortable. I would recommend this place to anyone interested.

I Appreciate The Help Finding This Community

Everything is going great for my mom. They take care of the community cleanliness. She likes the activities and wishes they would include Wii bowling. We have suggested it and they are talking about it. The residents seem busy and active. The food is really good and we are happy with the choices. Their system is slow and it takes awhile to deliver the meals. I liked the look of the community, it looks and runs professional. It's like a hotel it is well run. I would recommend them.

Great Care for mom

My mom is under great care by a excellent staff members. the community is very clean. She is happy with the activities. This community is recommended for great care for loved ones needing assistance.

My Community

I believe this has been a good fit for me. The staff are very pleasant with me. The food is prepared to be good meals. The community has plenty of activities available. I am perfectly satisfied with my home.

Happy Home

I am very happy with this community. the staff is verycaring and helpful when needed. I enjoy the food, but sometimes what I have ordered is sometimes not available. They do have alot of great activities that are offered. I would recommend this to families for great care and value.

Attempting Relocation

This place is fine and my dad likes the environment. However, my dad is missing Las Vegas and we found that they have another community in Las Vegas. They are willing to make financial accommodation to relocate my dad. Overall, they provide a lot and they are helpful at trying to make him feel comfortable in the meantime.

My Mother Is Being Cared For Well Here

This would be a community I would recommend. They are good care of my mother and her needs. They do a good job with keeping her room and the community nice and well maintained. They have a great staff here, they have been helpful and kind. There are many activities offered. I know she is getting good care. Overall everything has worked out well and I would recommend it.

Three Stars

It was just kind of hard to get things fixed in the apartment whenever they were broken. That was really our only complaint about The Bonaventure place. Also some of the people there are nicer than others.

Good place to live

I am very satisfied with the accommodations I love my apartment and the fact that they are not all duplicates. Every thing is clean and like new including the facilities the staff is exceptional especially Mary in charge of activities. I have one complaint and that is , the food service it is way overboard slow….I am new here and seem to sit at tables of zombis no one seems to have anything to say or just doesn't want to…..which makes going for meals a chore with such slow service As far as the food is concerned it is ok and that is all, but I didn't expect gourmet . I have a little problem because I cannot eat some of the items on the menu but I usually find something I can eat……on the whole I am pleased I moved in here….

Holiday Retirement

Hi Bette,
I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. Thank you so much for your sincere review. You listed some very specific areas of opportunity for The Bonaventure and we appreciate that immensely. I've passed your concerns regarding food service to our Resident Relations department for their review. Please know that you're welcome to call them as well at [removed] if you have anything else to add.

Thanks,
Katie

very good so far

My mother is presently living at The Bonaventure. She has only been there a few days so our experience has been very limited, but so far has been very good.

My main complaint is that in dealing with them it has a very corporate rather than a personal feel. For example, the agreement we had to sign was like a quarter of an inch thick. The last place she was at had a bit of a more personal feel to it.

Other than that they do a good job and though our experience has been limited, so far they are doing good.

very good value

The thing that I like most about The Bonaventure is that it has a very upbeat positive feel to it. It is a very good value for the money as well.

The one drawback is that the medical care is not as good as it should be. If they could take a little more responsibility for the medical care that would make a big difference.

An improvement from where I was before

The Bonaventure has been great. They have a 24 hour exercise room and a beauty salon. It's a great improvement from where I was before and its the same price. It's always clean. Everyone is very kind. I am very happy here. I can't rate the care services because I am in independent living. I would highly recommend The Bonadventure.

it was all right my mother to me it was a step down from the assistant living and i do have some issue they willl not be there to much longer i thought it would be more long term but it turned out to be a very very brief stay for both parties involved but it is an ok place

Eventually it was more independent than what we needed.

There were two girls that assisted him and I could call anytime. We liked that they would let him ride along to go on errands, so he was able to get out on a regular basis. They have both independent or assisted living across the driveway. The independent side is very independent. We had hired a few caregivers, to come in and helped, but we started to need more care. They also had a high turnover in staff. They hire husband and wife teams and the managers live onsite, and perhaps they get burned out, I don't know.

They were a nice place, but they were a little further away

They were a nice place, but they were a little further away than we wanted. The were out of our area for Kaiser as well. I didn't really have any concerns with them, it was a clean place, and the staff we saw were friendly. It just wasn't the best fit for our family. It was a little more expensive as well.

Needs better coordination, more activities, better housecleaning

It seems like it is safe. The room and environs are goods. My mother likes the meals and the people she is meeting. There don't seem to be enough activities, though.

She likes to walk, and it would be good if there were some sort walking group. They had a writing group, but noone told her when it was meeting. She has gone to bible study, and walking on her own. It would be nice if they would take them to a park once a week to walk around.

The staff person who was working with us left when we arrived, so it took several extra weeks to get her settled in.

Cleaning could be better; the toilet is moldy.

We are pleased!

Mother has been at the Bonaventure for about one month. So many of our worries in advance have been solved -- or turned out not to be problems after all. There was a change in managers just as she arrived, but the new folks seems nice [maybe not as friendly as the old ones] but professional and willing to help. Mother has easily made friends. She was at first not too eager to participate in activities but slowly has begun to try out a few things. She loves her room...just a studio apartment, but perfect for her. A petit woman, Mother's doctor wants her to gain weight, and after a month she has put on five pounds...she loves the food. Breakfast, lunch and supper are her main social times and the staff encourages residents to attend meals -- as opposed to staying in their rooms for eating. The manager who moved out graciously gave Mother an étagère for her patio -- he and his wife did not plan to take it with them -- so Mother is happy to have a place for a dozen geraniums. The grounds are beautiful and the facility clean, bright and pleasant. People are very friendly. I visit at least once a week and have been welcome to share a meal with Mother in the dining room. In a month, Mother will have a milestone birthday and Bonaventure staff are helping us plan a special family birthday/welcome dinner celebration! We are very pleased with the Bonaventure.

They are great!!

They are great!! I have no concerns, they are super friendly, and they are clean. They are just lovely, beautiful. I have had the food and it is really good! Just a great place.

This is an outstanding faci...

This is an outstanding facility. When my mother is ready, I am certain that she will consider the Bonaventure.

Everything is Included

She has a small studio. They provide care services, but my mother-in-law is in the retirement community. She gets three meals included in the price of the rent. Programs like Friday night theater are all included. They have a salon where they can can get their hair done and they only pay 1/3 of the price. The resident/staff interaction is very good.

Liked the place.

Liked the place.

Sixty miles north of the bustling Los Angeles metro area, Ventura is truly a breath of fresh air. Surrounded by lemon and flower orchards, The Bonaventure offers a perfect blend of beach and country living. The seaside community serves as a gateway to California's ruggedly beautiful central coast, while boasting charms all its own.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind