Atria Hillcrest - Thousand Oaks, CA

Just Marvelous!

The Atria Hillcrest is a beautiful, marvelous community! My friend fell in love with the community when she first saw it. I love the community as well I visit almost daily. The staff is very friendly and caring. My friend has just started to participate in the various activities. She uses the gym for her physical therapy. The residents are very friendly and we are both making new friends. They just recently had a concert to come and play in the community. I would definitely recommend Atria Hillcrest.

Excellent Staff!!

My dad had lived at this community for a short time and we where very pleased with how things went for him. The staff where excellent to work with and made sure to accommodate his needs to the best of there ability. I was pleased to seem him eating well during his time there and participating in a few of the activities that he could with the other residents. Overall we truly have no complaints about this place and would recommend it to anyone.

Wasn't the right fit.

I liked this property. They answered all my questions and the facility is gorgeous. I didn't feel it was a good fit for my husband because he would be the only resident with Parkinson's disease.

Care and Comfort

We are very happy with the care at this community. The staff are outstanding and attentive. We like that the community is clean. The activities are great. They serve alot of good meals to choose from. We would recommend this community for other families

An Open Floor Plan

After picking this community for my dad I discovered the intake was a little bumpy. They can work on that experience. Since then it has been good for all of us. He is definitely enjoying the meals and not participating much in the activities. He has made a companionship with another resident. I visit often and the staff are welcoming and helpful every time. They are great and let my daughter play bingo with the residents. I would highly recommend them.

No complaints!!

I left the Atria because I wanted to go back home. It had nothing to do with the Atria, though, The staff there were all very friendly and welcoming The place was clean and everything about the experience was positive.

My parents

I like the community very much for my father's care. They are doing an outstanding job. We love the staff who are outstanding. They are always on top of things for them both. They are very happy with the activities. They really enjoy playing bingo each day. They have made a lot of new friends and that is good to know that they are happy here. I would highly recommend the care for families for there loved ones. This price is worth everything that is offered here.

Comfortable Living!!

The staff have all been very kind to my mother since she made the move into this community. The best thing about it this place is her apartment, she is able to share a room with someone but still have her own bedroom with privacy. I am very pleased with everything so far but I do hope they lower the price soon so that it is more affordable for my mother.

Atria Review

So far I am absolutely in Love with Atria! I was 4 years ago when I toured this little jewel. The staff and residents are amazing and my father is alreay thriving and improving. My mother will take some more work, she is not thriving yet, but I firmly believe she will. I'm hoping we got her in there early enough for that to happen.

Terrible Place!!

I moved my mother out of the Atria, we did not like that place at all. They did not even have a general manager for like 3 months for the memory care unit. They would hire kids that were 18,19, and 20. They didn't even know what they're doing. Every time I visited my mother, it could have been a movie, dinner, or in her room, she would say "get me the hell out of here I hate this place". A gentleman that worked there told me everyone was leaving thaT place left and right. He told me stories of ladies falling, and how there was one nurse for every 5 patients, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Kate Vance

Thank you for reaching out. We are diligent about our hiring process and require all employees to complete many hours of training specific to their duties and to meet state requirements. If you'd like to learn more, or further discuss your experience directly, I welcome you to email me at [removed].

Father's Excellent Care

I am happy with the care that my father is getting here. The staff is very nice and professional, yet friendly. He does have a good variety of activities to choose from here. He likes the meals and the great variety. We like the clean and beautiful community. This is a community that has everything to great care and value and other would like the care a loved one receives.

Very nice facility.

The staff at Atria helped make the move process very smooth and organized. Very clean and beautifully decorated facility. Staff was courteous and friendly.

This rating is for the dementia unit, which I only toured. I do not have a family member here. Many of the people who have family members that we spoke with, like the staff. But we found out at the end of the tour from the memory care director that the memory care unit did not have the necessary parameters we need. I would suggest you verify your needs before going on a tour. They said they do not have any means to puree food or thickened juice. It also smelled a little funny in the dementia unit when we were there.

Kate Vance

We’re sorry that Atria Hillcrest wasn’t a perfect fit for you and your family at this time but we appreciate you visiting and the feedback you’ve shared with us. If you have any other comments, please feel free to contact us at [removed].

Worth the money

A bit more expensive, however it is worth it.

very good

My mother stayed at Atria Hillcrest for about a month for respite care and they were very good. It would be a different experience if she had her own room and was settled there permanently, but it was good. She enjoyed the food, the activities, and everything.

extremely kind and helpful

What really stands out about Atria Hillcrest is the care and friendliness of the entire staff. They always have a big smile on, and are extremely kind and helpful. The staff is really the best thing about the place. I was very impressed with them. The food is very good also. The place itself has been refurbished and looks and smells as good as new. It is a very nice and well organized care facility.

Clean, comfortable, attractive, and friendly. However they do not deliver any medical services. At all. There is NO medical care here. And their communications are abominable. Nobody knows anything, not even about their own policies, and you get a different answer about services and pricing depending on who you ask. However, it is a lovely environment at a good value if all you need is room and board and some basic assistance, such as incontinence care.

Nice but very expensive.

My loved one used to live here. It became too expensive, and we couldn't afford it any longer. I felt like they were all about the money. The staff had constant turnover. It was clean, and they had lots of activities, and it was a nice place to live. The money part was just too much.

Run

My Mom has lived in this facility for 11 years. We moved her to the new "Life Guidance" floor last year - she was one of the first residents of the new floor. She has been a guinea pig from the start. The have had five different directors on the floor since it's inception. They have not come through with the level of care that was promised. We are paying $6800 per month - that is "Rolls Royce" level care. We are receiving -at best - Volkswagon level care. The memory care unit is grossly understaffed and staff quits on a weekly basis. (As do there Directors - as I stated above.) Call the Atria and when you are put on hold - listen to their "glowing description" of what the Life Guidance floor has to offer. It is a complete joke. We are currently being forced to relocate my Mother due to the gross lack of care. This is not the caregivers fault - it is management and the lack of hiring competent people who will stay.

We have been waiting since September 14th for any one in management to contact us about our concerns. They have not. We went in at 9 am today - there is not one level of management in the entire building - AGAIN.

Run, don't walk - to find your loved one a different place. You will be doing your loved one a great service to NOT have them live here.

Kate Vance

We apologize for the communication complications you have experienced and welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally to gain a better understanding of your situation. Please reach out via [removed] and if you would kindly include “Atria Hillcrest” in your subject line, we can quickly include the appropriate directors in the correspondence. We are here to help and hope to hear from you soon.

Great place for Mom!

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is good with good variety.

Very nice but a little smaller than the Camarillo location.

This was the smaller of the two Atria communities I considered. I really liked them, it was very nice. The staff I dealt with were very nice as well.

It would be very nice if one is able to participate

It's supposed to be for people who can get around, and my loved one is staying in bed, due to pain. This may not be the best fit because of the activities. It's a lovely place it's very nice, the food is good, the people are nice. They have lots of activities. It's definitely a more independent place. This just might not be the right fit. They don't have a community table, and if you are new you sit by yourself. There is a little bit of initial isolation. It would be very nice if one is able to participate, and they do try to get the residents involved, our loved one just can't participate.

Kate Vance

Thank you for writing to share your family members’ experience and I am sorry to hear that they are in such pain. We are hoping this pain will subside and more activity participation will be possible in the future. I apologize for any feelings of isolation during the initial meals and want to let you know that our resident ambassadors will be making it a priority to help your family member feel more comfortable and involved. Please feel free to reach out via [removed] should you have more concerns or feel we can be of further service to you and your family. Also, if you include “Atria Hillcrest” in your subject line, we can quickly include the appropriate directors in the correspondence. Rest assured that we are doing the very best we can for your family member and are here to help!

Best Find For Mom

Atria was awesome – newly remodeled throughout, excellent staff ( not only the office staff but maintenance,food service,and housekeeping), and had great rooms. We lucked out and did not have to go on a reserve list – one resident was leaving the deluxe 1 bedroom 2 days after Mom’s walk through. They offered us the ground floor unit at a prorated rate for the end of the month and because the previous resident was so long term, they totally redid the inside if the apartment – top to bottom – as well as put in a tub instead of the current shower per my Mom’s request…AT NO EXTRA COST!!
The facility/community rep is the best and answered all of our questions and helped during the move in by staying on top of everything. The whole facility is bright, cheerful, and open spaced feeling with nice grounds/walking/sitting areas outside. We are all happy and pleased and although it might seem out of place for Mom as compared to her home, she seems to be really enjoying the transition.
Anyway – we all want to THANK YOU again for all of your help in making this tough decision so pleasant for us. You are the best ! Steve and Lisa

Good, but Backbreaking Cost

He's only been there a little while, but two physicians have called and introduced themselves, and anything we need they seem to try and accommodate. They seem to be pretty nice, I have to say. The cost difference between this and the last community is backbreaking, $6000 without furniture, so there is something wrong with every place. So far, though, they have been very nice. On top of paying for them, they recommended a private 24 hour caregiver, and the cost has just skyrocketed. We are really pleased with the caregiver, and we're thinking about just moving him back home since he isn't doing the activities and really isn't getting anything extra out of being there.

Lovely Place

He was only there five days and they were wonderful.
It wasn't anything they did, just a family struggle that made him have to leave. I just loved it though; one would he the staff, two would be the cleanliness, and three the facility was lovely.

It's good, it's going well.

It's good, it's going well. My mom is happy there. They make it clear what's included in the price. I would like to see a little more variety in the activities. I think the food is very good, I've tried it a few times. I think the warmth and caring of the staff and the friendliness of the residents, felt different than the others I visited, and that is why I chose this over others that I saw.

Atria's Memory Care Facilit...

Atria's Memory Care Facility seemed to be the best choice for us at the time, however, they promised a lot and did not deliver. They are not able to accommodate our mom's specialized needs, and we are now looking for another home.

LaDawn K.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience with our community. Every new resident receives an assessment when they move-in and periodically during his or her stay. These assessments help us tailor services to each resident’s unique needs. If the level of care necessary exceeds what we are able to provide, we like to work with the family as they locate a new residence. We would like to discuss your concerns in more detail. Please contact us at [removed] and include the Atria community name in your subject line. We look forward to speaking with you.

One Issue - Otherwise Everything is Great!

Everything is good. I did just have one thing I didn't like. The reason I don't give them a 5 is because I had an issue that came up recently. Dad has been there for almost two months now. He is getting showers three times a week. The other day I helped him get dressed and I noticed that his toe nails were just out of control and no one had done anything about it. They must have seen them when they were helping him shower. I was pretty upset about that.

Otherwise the food is great, place is great and they're very kind to him. He doesn't' know where he is but that's okay; he didn't know where he was when he was at home either.

He definitely is being taken care of. The place is practically brand new and I like the shared room set up.

LaDawn K.

"I’m glad to hear that your family has had a pleasant experience overall with our community, and I would like to address the concern you mentioned in your review. I apologize that you did not receive a notification that your dad’s nails were in need of maintenance. Although our staff does not provide nail care services, we do have a full service salon where an appointment can be made, or you may schedule a visit with your father’s podiatrist. If we can answer any questions, please contact our community directly at [removed] or via email at [removed], and be sure to include the Atria community name in your subject line.

I feel like I'm fighting with them everyday!

It's beautiful. The rooms are new, it's clean and for the most part, the staff is friendly. There have been a lot of hiccoughs and growing pains since my mom moved in. My mom was the second person to move in to their memory care unit and one of the last to get her name on the door. It's a constant battle with the medication and them not doing it right. It's a challenge to keep her occupied and engaged. They assured me that they would keep her busy and maybe for and 87 year old they are keeping them busy but for a 68 year old, she has too much free time.

It's been a really really rough three months. I feel like I'm fighting with them everyday. They're taking pretty good care of her overall (she's safe, bathed, fed) but what they sold us on is not what they delivered. If she wasn't settled in I would move her. He doctors don't think that's a good idea right now.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your feedback and please accept our deepest apologies for any confusion with your mother’s medications and activities. We will certainly discuss your review with the appropriate staff to ensure that her medicines are being delivered accurately according to the prescriptions. We will also consider her engagement in the activities offered to see where improvements might be made. We offer between nine and eleven events in our memory care neighborhood each day and we encourage residents to participate if they are willing. We would appreciate you contacting us at [removed] so that we can continue this conversation and make things better for your family (please be sure to include the Atria community name in the subject line).

Like the layout

Like the layout

it was a lovely facility, t...

it was a lovely facility, they are going through some heavy indoor reconstruction...so it is a little upside down in there, but they are saying it should all be done by october. There was a little bit of pressure to get my Father in law NOW before the rates go up after the upgrades finish...but ultimately it was too far in Thousand Oaks and he prefers to stay in Vegas.

Great staff!

When I initially started working with my advisor, Shirley, and she set up the initial visit (fall of last year), I met with a gentleman at the time and he followed up with us for several months. When the time came for my father to move in, there was a different person in his position but both were great. There have been a lot of administration changes recently but things have still been fine.

Currently my dad doesn't need a lot of care, but what he has been getting is fine and there is a nice variety of activities. I have only had one item of concern that I brought to the attention of one of the administrators and she addressed both my initial concern and my follow-up question right away. I wish there hadn't been a concern but the way she handled it was great!

Gorgeous and less expensive...

Gorgeous and less expensive than either the Grand Oaks or Belmont. Newly rennovated and has wifi in every room (this was the only place that offered that). Great food and eating area. No pool; however, they go to a pool twice a week and have several other outings. Theatre and library. The upgrades made me see myself living there which was interesting - perhaps it was the 10 massive Oaks that appeared to be quite old and protected. Putting green and whatever care is needed is provided discretely in your apartment - no need to move as your needs change. I was very impressed!

Visit scheduled for Friday at 10am. A...

Visit scheduled for Friday at 10am. Apparently no separate facilities for Dementia patients.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your review. I hope that you enjoyed your visit with us and I wanted to let you know that we recently opened our new Life Guidance® memory care program for those living with Alzheimer’s or other types of dementia. In addition, we have also restyled our restaurant with al fresco dining options and added a custom-designed movie theater, a new technology center and universal Wi-Fi, and an upscale spa – all on-site. I hope that you will visit us again soon and if you have any questions, please email us at [removed] and include the Atria community name in your subject line.

It is lovely, but may not be right fo...

It is lovely, but may not be right for us.

Love Atria.

Love Atria.

Fabulous - #1 choice. Surroundings ar...

Fabulous - #1 choice. Surroundings are quiet & secluded, residents very vibrant and friendly. Apt is perfect - put down refundable $500 deposit for 1st right of refusal. Very nice outdoor patios and courtyards.

Discover exciting NEW enhancements at Atria Hillcrest, including a custom-designed movie theater, upgraded spa offering manicures and pedicures, a modern bistro, redesigned patio and outdoor dining, custom fitness center, visiting physician’s exam room, library, WiFi and Saflok® security system.

We are also proud to introduce our new Life Guidance® memory care neighborhood, where we provide innovative, specialized care in a secure, structured setting for those living with Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia.

Beautiful Atria Hillcrest is a comfortable, elegant community tucked away among oak trees in sunny California. Recently remodeled, Atria Hillcrest features serene gardens and walking paths as well as a complete social calendar, including weekly happy hours. Atria Hillcrest is just one hour from downtown Los Angeles.

License #565800366