Nice living if food is unimportant

The location of this facility is marvelous. You can walk to most necessary shopping in just a few minutes. At the same time, there is no sense of being in a busy area. That's remarkable.

Scenery, views are very nice. Well-maintained exterior.

The apartment was beautiful to move into, but there were maintenance problems that didn't show up immediately. Most were fixed quickly, but some took longer than was appropriate.

Staff are pleasant and helpful. Activities seem to be enjoyed by those who want them.

Weekly cleaning could be better. Cleaners need to be allowed more time for each apartment.

Dining is the principal weak spot. There is no salad, soup or dessert bar. Hours are not always convenient, and seating is handled oddly. Food quality is low, as is food preparation. Too much pasta, gravy, rice, potato, grease, sugar. Meat is often tough, and it's mostly chicken. Vegetables are scarce and overcooked. In general, the food is not appropriate for older folks, many of whom are probably diabetic.

The supplied toilet paper is awful. We've been told that we can buy our own if we don't like theirs. The company saves money when residents do that, just as they save money when we don't eat the dining room food but instead buy our own food outside. The small refrigerators make it hard to store food in the apartment.

Everything was good here

I had to stay at this facility right after I got out of the hospital. My experience was okay and everything was just fine. Unfortunately, I was just sort of put here and I was ready to go home. At the facility, I was lying around in bed all day and I wasn’t encouraged to get up and walk around. However, I was ready to move on and go home and so I left. I would recommend this facility to other families.

Treated us like Queens

This facility is one of the top two in the area and has a great reputation. All of the rooms are beautiful and they have a great staff. When we made the appointment to tour, [Removed] was so friendly and knowledgeable. They fed us lunch and coffee and if we wanted anything, they treated us like Queens. There are 3 to 4 ladies at the front desk and they all knew our names. This facility is very accommodating and I would recommend it.

So many friendly people

My niece has been living alone in house for a few years. She had no neighbors and no one to really talk to ever since her mother passed away. Ever since we stumbled up Sheldon Oaks we have been so happy. Their care team is very nice and welcoming; my niece says that she never wants to leave. It tickles me knowing how happy she is here. I recommend this place because knowing that there are good people around my niece I know that she is safe and so content. She now has people that she can talk to and she is having just a grand time. Their team is very communicative and they would contact a family member right away if anything should ever happen. The staff is very knowledgeable. She is getting her 3 meals a day and it’s great that she knows that she doesn’t have to worry about cooking anymore. She tells me that it’s not restaurant quality food, but it is still a healthy alternative. They don’t use that much seasoning, but she can add more if she so wishes. Overall this place is great. It’s nice to know that they always have someone to check up on my niece. They have housekeeping that comes around once a week (they always keep the area clean), she has a panic button just in case she needs to call someone, and the residents there are also very friendly.

Beautiful, but Mother-In-Law Didn't Like It

I really liked Sheldon Oaks when we toured. The rooms were clean, and big, and nice. They had a small, manageable dining room with four servers to help, and they were willing to give us a double room at a single room price. They had lots of different activities and a great activity director. It was a beautiful community, but my mother-in-law didn’t like it there. She said she didn’t want to live in such a fancy place and be responsible for such a big room. I tried to tell her that they could take care of the room for her, and she wouldn’t have to clean it or do anything with it. Her decision was made though, and even though I really liked it, she didn’t.

Awesome Staff!!

I recently made the move into this community and so far things have been wonderful. The staff are attentive to our needs and have spoiled us rotten since we made the move. The meals they serve are very good, always tasty and healthy. I like that they keep us busy throughout the day with lots of activities as well as different field trips to different things. I would defiantly recommend this place to any interested in a great living environment.

They Were the Best Fit For Us

We are very happy with picking this community. The staff are completely helpful and nice. The community makes the meals and it is very good. They even work with me on my lactose intolerance. I like seeing the community being kept clean and the residents are all friendly.

Nice facility!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken at this community for my loved one. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to accommodate our needs to the best of there ability. I liked everything they had to offer and thought they had a beautiful facility. It was just not the right fit for my mother in the end decision.

Care for a friend

I like this community for good care. The staff is nice and very helpful. I am happy to see him happy and activities. The menu is appealing and he is happy with the nice variety. I like to know that he is active and has a lot to help him keep busy. The community is clean and I would recommend this community for the care of a loved one for other families

First impression

I was impressed from the moment I walked in. It was clean and very nicely decorated. My mom's room is clean and good sized for a studio. When we went down to have a dinner meal it was disappointing. Very flavorless with a very small selection to choose from. The employees were all very friendly and welcoming. If the food were improved, I could see mom staying here until she reaches the next level of elderly care needed. I didn't see any activities going on. Nice place.

Dad Likes It

My dad knew when he came to Sheldon Oaks it was the one and likes that he is not alone. The staff have been nice to him. He likes the meals which include a salad or cottage cheese, choice of main dish, and a dessert. There has been no missing or lost items with housekeeping, no issues. Shante the manager was really nice and caring but she is not longer there. He likes it here.

Taking Good Care Of Mom

This is an excellent community and my mother is doing very well here. The community looks very well maintained, they do a very good job with cleaning. The staff is great, they are very helpful and kind. There are nice activities offered. They are taking good care of her, I know she is in good hands.

Flow

The flow here reminded me of what a positive choice my family and I have made placing my dad here. The food is great and he has many activities to pick from.

Residents treated like family

Sheldon Oaks is a great facility. It is nicely decorated, well kept and always very clean. The staff is so kind and patient with the residents. You can really tell that they love them because they treat them like family.

Very helpful

They are very helpful in supporting the whole family. I felt ver comfortable placing my father.

I think it's great. Mom loves it there.

I think it's great. Mom loves it there. She loves the food. I was impressed with how quickly they responded when I first called, and Mom liked it right away. They weren't really any more expensive than the other places, and might have even been less. We are pretty happy with it.

Nice place, but not a great fit for us

Overall I think they do a good job at Sheldon Oaks. It unfortunately did not end up being a good fit for our loved one, but I don't think that was the fault of the facility. The staff here are friendly and professional, and the facility itself is well kept and has a lot to provide for the people who live here.

I highly reccommend them, and they seem to genuinely care for the residents.

She seems to be doing really well there. She is getting the attention she needs, so it is worth the price. It's a wonderful facility. They keep the community very clean. They have transportation and housekeeping, meals, everything is included. They have a salon and a pedicure area, a beautiful restaraunt. They take them places and have bands come in and play music. She seems to enjoy the food. I can't think of anything that could be improved. They are very, very helpful, and cater to her. She is enjoying life and making a few friends. I highly reccommend them, and they seem to genuinely care for the residents.

Nothing Jumped Out

It was an older facility. It was fine and the people were nice, but nothing jumped out at us at all. We decided to move to a different community.

Poorly Kept Up

My mom had lived there a month when we decided to put her in a home with more nursing facilities. Overall, I was disappointed in the quality of the upkeep. They said that they were going to get new carpets - they were filthy - but they didn't do it. The paint on the trim work was bad. The kitchen was right there when you walked in. The people always seemed happy, but the upkeep was enough to turn me off.

Nice combination of a "home-feel" & "assistance".

With the choices available in the Eugene area, this is an excellent facility if one does not need full assistance. Facility itself is very pleasant and well kept. The assistance of weekly housekeeping and 3 prepared meals a day (coffee/snack bar open all day) is perfect for my Father. I also appreciate that there is an emergency pull-cord system in the apartments for my peace of mind. Walking through the facility it's very pleasant to see the "ladies" decorate their doors and entrances....very homey. Also, I have to chuckle when I am there during a meal time as there are a line of "walkers" lined up against a wall. There is an air of "activity" and staff are very attentive. Perfect for my widowed father. If more assistance is needed as time goes by, an option is to hire an "in home" care person. Keeps the cost down and my father independent for as long as possible. Activity bus available for errands/shopping...and special trips/events are scheduled. Grounds also very nice w/ a sidewalk path for strolling and a gazebo for chatting. Front entrance of facility doubles as a "front porch" w/ rockers and chairs for folks to sit and visit. Highly recommended!

Facility is old. It needs s...

Facility is old. It needs some updating. Moderate amount of amenities. The price of their one bedroom is as much as Garden Way without all the amenities and updated facility. I need to go back after they update the dining room and when it is a bit quieter to get a better feel.

Great location! For walkin...

Great location! For walking, taking the bus. Only downside, wish it was a continuing care facility. Don't want to move many more times.

Sheldon Oaks-Eugene, Oregon

What a delightful time we had when Mom toured and moved into Sheldon Oaks. We couldn't have done it so easily if Sara Shafibady (A Place For Mom) hadn't been so helpful and Jonathan and Willow at Sheldon Oaks hadn't been so service oriented! Thanks to all of you, Mom has a terrific place and LOVES her new home!!

Saw it on a sunny day and the place j...

Saw it on a sunny day and the place just sparkled. However, it is a large facility, three floors, 112 units (107 residents currently). Dining room is large and feel somewhat institutional. Hallways wide and well lit, do not have long dark institutional feel. Rooms are great .. spacious and well maintained, some have little patios (but you lose 6 sq feet of LR space). Sheldon Oaks is not licensed for AL, therefore if you need daily help you would need to hire one of the agencies in town to come in and help. They are currently negotiating w/ one agency to actually have someone live on site who could provide help bathing, dressing, w/ meds. Once someone has a "medical event" that causes them to need nursing care, they must leave to another facility .. usually the doctor is the one who makes that determination. Small grassy area with cute gazebo. Can walk in nearby (flat) neighborhood. Activity room was pretty shabby, but the third floor library has lots of windows, bring and sunny. Books rotated with other communities. Can walk from grounds directly to Safeway and Rite aid (and Market of choice) without going on busy street. Rent includes 3 meals a day, snacks, special event food, all utilities except phone and internet to your room, linen service, weekly housekeeping. Does NOT include personal laundry, but there are laundry rooms in each wing. Studios have small or full size refrigerators, sink, you can bring microwave, toaster, coffee maker no hot plates. All staff background checked. Mail and newspapers delivered to your door. 24 staff, no RNs because is not AL licensed. It is 55+ housing. Month to month rent, 30 days notice. Special if you move in in October, $99 security deposit instead of usual one month's rent, although since it is a refundable deposit, it's the just the time value of money. They will pay for a mover t obreing your stuff to the facilitiy the first time you move in. Transportation van to doctor, dentist, hopping. Outings to hult center, detering oarchards, once a month to florence, some go to casino, others have lunch and walk in old town. Tiny and dark "gym" which has trendmill, bike & a couple other things, plus a TV. TV big screen viewing area, very popular during Ducks games. OPTIONS for meals, not just single choice. Wait staff at tables.

Located in the heart of the "Emerald City," Sheldon Oaks sits in a lovely, affluent neighborhood within easy walking distance of shopping, medical offices, golfing and restaurants. Eugene is a haven for those who love the convenience of a large metropolitan city, yet enjoy the laid back friendliness of a small town. We’re situated between three shopping malls with a major medical response unit just around the corner.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind