Ruth's House - Longmeadow, MA

Nice Tour of This Facility

We had a nice tour of this community. Everything went well, and everyone was very kind. The community looked great, and everything went well overall.

We Found A Better Fit For The Family

This community was similar to another that we liked. It has activities, friendly staff, a good atmosphere. After exploring out options this was not the most closest place to the family.

Many living area upgrades, plenty of space for family and friends to visit. Several living choices, nice dining areas, many perks for residents. There is also a Day facility nearby. As a side note, this is an all Kosher Community. Pricing is reasonable for the services and amenities offered.

Nice layout of memory unit. Like the fact nursing home and rehab on same campus/different buildings. More complete care to be given on unit. Price slightly lower than Armbrook with more care offered.

Initial impression

My mom has only been her a very short time, so my rating may not be totally fair. Cleanliness of the whole floor is good, but mom's unit smells like urine, and I had to ask to get her very dirty floor vacuumed. I don't feel I should have to ask this. Also, I oftentimes find clean( i hope) clothes laying around. Almost Everyone appears very friendly, but one aide was sorely lacking in approach and initiative... Maybe just a miserable person, in general? The Nurse is wonderful, and I think most of the aides seem genuine... But it's only been a short time. But so far, they appear "real". Value is ok, but ill reserve my true judgement on that for a bit later because care services are somewhat lacking in some areas. I've had to ask numerous times and leave notes as well, for a few things on mom's rx plan that were not being adhered to. This gets frustrating and one thing is/was quite impt. There are a few other care concerns that I have had to address, and hopefully, they will be attended to. Oh, and food is complained about by almost everyone. I'm not sure if it really is bad most of the time, or if it's just the residents' perceptions!! My mom seems to really enjoy all of the activities she decides to engage in. She loves the activity people, and they seem to try to get the residents involved. I guess they can only offer activities and urge people to partake of them.
Overall I gave the facility a 3.5. But this is only based on a short time frame, so I'm not sure if it is accurate. It's the best I can do with what we have experienced up to this point. I think I need to give it more time before an accurate gauge of measurement is given.

I love this place!

I really love this place. The staff is exceptional: they are extremely caring and highly professional. They truly go above and beyond. My mother is very happy here, and the transition was very easy for everyone involved. I would only say the food needs to improve. Otherwise, this place is great!

Nice place, have some security concerns

This was a nice community, the facility itself was well kept and clean and the staff were friendly and did a good job looking after the residents. However, we ended up having to move my loved one out due to safety issues. They are a secure memory care community, however my loved one managed to get out through a window that was not secure.

Initially wonderful until...

Beautiful facility; the Alzheimer's Unit (Ruth's Garden) has very good activities and staff interaction. The nursing group is top rate. The food is delicious, although as in most places, some days are better than others. Good healthy choices are available to residents. The reason there are fewer than five stars is the experience of having a relative briefly in the Garden Unit and with assistance needed after a hospital staff, we had to add outside aides to help. This led to recommendations to have this relative placed in the Long Term Care unit. Once there, the resident was in the Alzheimer's LTC unit and sat all day at a table in the dining area with people moaning and screaming around her. Was unable to get her out of that unit and into the lovely LTC there. She is now in a beautiful ALF (!), has activities, the facility ALWAYS smells clean and fresh. It was the transitional "push" that became problematic and made me wonder if the Garden is just the entree to LTC.

Very Small Shared Room

Ruth's House is a part of the Jewish community center. The place is beautiful but the deal breaker there is the size of the room my mother would have. She would have to share a room and it's about the same size as the room she has now but it's for two people instead of one. There is one little common area that was very tiny. That was the problem with that place.

Like the atmosphere and the patients...

Like the atmosphere and the patients looked well taken care of. Nice outside areas too.

Very homey feel. Loved the activitie...

Very homey feel. Loved the activities, size of facility. Loved philosophy.

In 2012, JGS will celebrate 100 years of caring for the elderly in our community. When JGS was first established, the founders made a promise to provide comprehensive and compassionate healthcare services - based upon Jewish traditions and values - to those facing the challenges of aging. Jewish Geriatric Services has established itself as a trusted, not-for-profit, healthcare resource for people of all faiths. Our full range of services includes skilled nursing and short-term rehabilitation care, assisted living, home healthcare, adult day health, community-based medical services, subsidized independent living and specialized Alzheimer's care.

Programs of Jewish Geriatric Services include: Julian J. Leavitt Family Jewish Nursing Home Spectrum Home Health and Hospice Care Ruth's House - An Assisted Living Residence Wernick Adult Day Health Care Center JGS Family Medical Care Genesis House - On the Harold Grinspoon Campus Rehabilitation Services All of these services come together to form a complete system of care, one that is built upon a solid foundation of quality services, dignity and respect. It is the very reason why the name Jewish Geriatric Services has become synonymous with excellence and why, time and time again, people turn to us for their eldercare and healthcare needs.

JGS has been honored with the Leadership in Safety Award by CNA, the world's largest liability insurer for long term care organizations, representing 3,600 facilities. The award recognized JGS for its commitment to resident safety and to a leadership team who consistently demonstrates efforts to improve the quality and safety of resident care services.

JGS has been honored with the following special efforts and recognitions; The American Health Care Association and the National Association of Assisted Living prestigious Step II Award for Quality; The American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging and LarsonAllen LLP, Pathway to