The Wellington at Springfield - Springfield, MA

Getting Nowhere

Since Wellington took over from Keystone Woods, there does not seem to be enough staff in the mornings to help the residence who require assistance get ready for the day.

We pay for 1 1/2 hours of assistance but receive only enough time to run in and give meds (which is skipped every 2 1/2 - 3 weeks). No excuse is good enough to skip meds that can prevent strokes, etc. , I believe too many of the med techs are lazy and don't care. One nurse who works mornings is extremely lazy and uncaring but the others are excellent. They can't, however, seem to get their staff to do what is required which tells me they need to replace those who do not do their jobs properly and the staff who do an excellent job, should be given bonuses.

Also, the management does not return calls except for nursing. An awful lot needs to be changed.

My friend lives in the independent living area. After having a stroke he became depressed, wouldn't eat, isolated himself, etc. Since moving to the Wellington he has joined the choir, and takes part in the many activities. I have eaten with him there a few times and the food is excellent. I cant say enough about the staff. They were amazing in helping him adjust. This move was a quality of life changer. Thank you !

Appalling Environment

No star at all !!! My mom spent 3 1/2 months there which was way too long . [Name removed] and [name removed] reassured me that the memory care unit was the right place for my mother . My mother suffers from CHF . Medications need to be given appropriately, a low sodium diet was required, and walking daily . Three simple requests that We’re not granted !! I found medication left in her med box . Arrived at least five times to find my mom slumped over in a chair for 2 1/2 hours plus . My mother was hospitalized twice during the 3 1/2 months. Due to their lack of administering meds correctly , providing a low sodium diet & watching her weight to control her Edema . I had to complain about my mothers bathroom smelling the memory care unit smelled nasty in general . Apparently that unit does not deserve the care that the rest of the facility is provided .
The business office doesn’t know what the heck they’re doing either . Claiming I owe $7000 when that is incorrect and I have no bills that indicate that amount owed .
The whole facility needs to be audited !!!
I would not advise anyone to be put in assisted-living or memory care . I encountered only about three staff during the 3 1/2 months that were kind . In general rude staff !!!

BEWARE! Don't even consider this place!

Review applies to (1) the Business Office and (2) the Memory Care unit.

(1) Poor bookkeeping, incompetent management, dishonest business manager who didn't hesitate to stoop to lying (i.e., [name removed] who other reviewers on this site also named).

(2) Lack of communication/coordination between day and night shifts. Understaffed. Neglected or ignored obvious, significant medical/health concerns. Unresponsive to reasonable requests.

I believe my mom would do well at the Wellington.

Crooked

This establishment owes my 80 year old mother $8000 and won't even extend her the courtesy of a return phone call. How is this ok?

Did not like the location. Is a three story facility and looks more like a hospital. Entered the reception area and was greeted warmly but did not have a fresh scent and cozy feeling to the place. First impression was I would not prefer this place based on the other options. Did not schedule a tour.

The Wellington has a friendly and inviting atmosphere, their all-inclusive pricing model makes costs predictable. We have enjoyed the events, special programs and care options that they offer.

Business office is horrible

Since Wellington took over Keystone, the business office is awful, specifically [Removed] English. Simple requests for important documents are IGNORED. Staff turnover is becoming a problem. Otherwise it is a fine facility.

Garbage

This place used to be amazing. The staff is the problem now. The turnover rate here is ridiculous. My mother told me that only two kitchen staff remain from when she moved into the gardens five years ago. Went to address this problem with [Removed] English along with a few other questions i had and was basically verbally abused. She was outright rude and unaccommodating to our request. I asked to speak to her boss and was told she was the boss and any complaint I had could be addressed to her. I was actually worried for my moms well being if we left her there after this interaction with [Removed] and immediately moved my mother to a better, and less rude community. Used to be a top of the line place to bring anyone who wanted to retire but not anymore. Too many problems with management.

We are in Love!

The staff has been great over here. The community and the room are always kept clean and I like that the staff get the residents involved with the activities. It seems like there is always something going on. Me and my loved ones love this community.

Let's play bingo!

The people here seem really good and caring. My loved one has started getting involved with bingo and some other activities they offer. The meals are wonderful and of good portion for the residents. The only thing that I would change would be the communication between the nursing staff and the caretakers. They seem to always be on different pages. I would recommend them to family.

I would recommend

While visiting Keystone Woods we were greeted right away and with a smile. The staff genuinely care about what they do and how they present this to prospects. The grounds are well manicured and neat, there are plenty of places for residents to sit outside and walk around. The rooms are spacious and offer balconies if wanted. It is a warming environment.

Never. Never.

Never never will i put my mother in here the staff is very rube and the place is not clean over the pasis three years they have fired all the good help and put people in there that justt dont. care for the people there sorry this place is not. A good place at all .

Never

The place has gone down in the past four years they fired all the good staff and put people in there that don't care very rube all the staff Rachel English very rube inevet never ever sending my mom here .

Never,never,never

This place is horrible.the stuff are really rude and the head people are mean,never send your family members here...

This facility has gone down hill over the past 3 years. They are cutting corners where ever they can. They actually run out of food during lunch and dinner. You can sit for over an hour to place your order for a meal. The basic foods are not cooked properly. The facility manager have changed 3 times in the last 4 years. The staff is not very friendly. There is little communication with the residents.

Very nice place!

Overall we're very pleased with how things have gone so far at The Gardens at Keystone Woods! The people are all very friendly and helpful, the facility itself is clean and well kept, and they take great care of the people who live here.

It's going pretty good.

It's going pretty good. It's very clean, and the staff is friendly. I thought there would be a little more of an orientation, they gave us a manual, with a lot of great information. But knowing some things like which pharmacies deliver there, maybe a fact sheet, would have been very helpful. She hasn't missed a thing since she's been there, she goes on all the excursions. She hasn't complained about the food at all. We chose it based on the other residents we saw, who seemed very outgoing and friendly, and have been wonderful and always, say hello, it's great!

It is fantastic!

It is fantastic! They cover all of the needs of the person who lives there entirely. My loved one is very happy with the food. I’m just really happy with the care they give her. I can’t say enough about it. We had no idea that it would be this good – really everything, social and her physical being is cared for.

Very Nice People

They've been very nice to my mother. Everyone is pretty friendly. The staff seems to know her pretty well and the food is pretty good, I have to admit. She hasn't complained about it that much and that's big for her. I like the fact that someone is always there. It's independent living, not assisted living, so it's nice that there is still always someone there.

I wish they would decorate a little more for the holidays. They have a beautiful lobby and I think they could enhance it. I know they have all different faiths there but even decorating the lobby for winter time or fall would be nice. There's some stuff outside but not inside. I just think it would make it a little more cheerful.

Be inspired to live life to the fullest when taking up residence at The Wellington at Springfield. Our Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Care community in Springfield, MA enriches the lives of seniors by providing an environment that is physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally stimulating. From carefully designed one- and two-bedroom floor plans to myriad recreational and social opportunities, it’s safe to say we have thought of everything. Spacious apartments offer home-like amenities such as kitchens with full-size appliances and stackable washers and dryers plus emergency call buttons and safety assist handrails in bathrooms to provide peace of mind for resident and their loved ones. During downtime from the host of calendar activities and social programming we offer, seniors can utilize the well-stocked library, reflect on life while sitting in the gazebo or simply enjoy nature with our waterfall as their backdrop. Friendly and caring staff members are available 24 hours a day to assist with support services that include special nutritional counseling, housekeeping and laundry with the additional benefit of medication reminders and escort assistance available. Our Springfield community also features a 24-hour concierge for seniors’ convenience. Whether heading to a golf course, museum, retail center, restaurant, doctor’s office or pharmacy, residents will appreciate easy access to the most popular sites thanks to The Wellington at Springfield’s ideal location in The City of Firsts.