The Reserve at East Longmeadow - East Longmeadow, MA

Top notch facility

I took a tour here when looking for a place for my mom and it was very nice. It was one of the places that I would’ve put my mom but ultimately the location wasn’t what we wanted. The facility looked very nice, it was kept clean, and it was just top notch. The price was roughly the same as it would be at another community. They told me about a few activities like bingo, cards, movie nights, happy hours, and things like that. Overall, it seemed like a nice place.

Pleased

So far everything is working out well for my mother at this community. It is a nice place with kind people. I know she is in good hands at this community. I'am pleased with all they have done for our family, and I would recommend this community.

Kinda nice place but money grubbers.

My mother was in the dementia/memory care unit at the Reserve (Brookdale) from August 2017 till she passed end of October 2017. It is a nice facility with some caring individuals. Some problems with cleanliness in the room. I would advise however that you will be charged an minimum of 7 days care after the individual dies. Total rip off. Money grubbing at it's worst. Read the contract very carefully.

The staff was thorough and helpful. They answered all of our questions

Get up and do something!

I was able to take a tour of this community and was not impressed at all. All the residents at 3 pm were in there rooms and I did not see any staff doing anything. They did show me that they offered a lot of activities, but none of the aides were even out doing anything. That was the main reason we did not choose this place.

Very Good Community, I Enjoyed My Tour

I was very impressed with my tour of this community. This is a lovely community, and it was one of my top picks. The staff was very kind informative. The community looked great, everything was very nice and clean. It was a great experience. I was considering moving my father to this community.

Some Improvements Need To Be Made

It has been an okay experience for my father here at this community. The upper management of the community are a bit abrasive at times. Also their prescription management needs improvements. Other than those issues, it is a nice looking community. The care staff is good. There are nice activities and good food available. They need to improvement on their upper management abrasiveness, and the prescription management.

A Work In Progress, But A Nice Community Overall

My father is doing okay here at this community. He recently returned for rehab back to the community. He is doing okay so far. It is a nice and clean, everything is very well maintained. The staff for the most part have helpful and kind. I know he is in safe community. I'am hoping with some more time he becomes more comfortable. It is still a work in progress, but this is a community I would recommend.

The staff are very attentive at Brookdale!!!

The food is good and they are willing to make my mom something else if she does not like the food she receives. The grounds are well maintained and they keep the community clean. I would recommend this community. She likes to play bingo and other cards games.

Hoping To Help Others

My sisters and I moved our Mother into the Assisted Living Section of Brookdale (formerly Emeritus) in East Longmeadow, Massachusetts prior to her being diagnosed with dementia. Within five months, the Director of the facility informed us that our Mother had wandered outside unescorted and would need to be moved to the Memory Care Unit immediately. With no guidance and little communication from the staff at Brookdale, we hesitantly moved our Mother into this new area. That’s when our real nightmares at Brookdale began. While the Assisted Living Section of this facility may be adequate for seniors who need little to no assistance, the Memory Care Unit is extremely poorly staffed for people with dementia. During the first of two meetings with Brookdale’s Director and Senior Nurse, we were ASSURED that unless our Mother needed hospitalization, she would be able to live out the rest of her life at Brookdale. They emphasized that they were well versed in the late stages of dementia and would absolutely be able to care for her there. We were told that there was medical staff available which we assumed would mean that should our Mother have any medical issues, they would be able to take care of them. We soon found out that those were completely false statements. The care that our Mother received there was of the poorest quality. We constantly received phone calls from the nursing staff suggesting that our Mother’s confusion was due to a urinary tract infection, which was not true as we had taken her to an urologist and were told she didn’t have one. Our Mother’s bed was rarely changed; her laundry was thrown into her room, along with clothes that belonged to other residents; she was often left in bed all day long with very little supervision; and it became a common occurrence to visit her and find her crying and confused over very small things that the staff could easily have taken care of. Our impression of the senior staff there was that they cared more about meeting dollar quotas than taking care of their residents. While the Memory Care Unit at this facility may be an adequate place for seniors with mild or initial stage dementia, I would not recommend it for mid- to end-stage dementia.

We were not sure how well our mother would take to a new environment with her severe Alzheimer's dementia. We are extremely pleased with how happy she seems, and how well she is taken care of. We would recommend Brookdale East Longmeadow to anyone in need of a placement of their loved ones.

a year old facility

The food is a five. The facility is a year old. I think it is from the top down, sometimes unresolved issues with a top it doesn't seem to filter down with the people that is suppose to do the work. It doesn't seem to be anyone I can talk to that will pass the message on to the appropriate person.

It's beautiful, and the food was excellent, and the services are good.

I think the assisted living is great and if you are pretty far along with the memory loss. It's beautiful, and the food was excellent, and the services are good. However if you aren't quite needing full blown memory services, and you are sort of that in between stage for memory, then this might not be the best fit.

the staff needs to follow though

The only improvement that needs to be made at Emeritus at East Longmeadow is the staff needs to follow though. The residents all have different needs and they just need to improve in that area. That is my only complaint really. Other than that things are good.

A Positive Experience

It was a very positive experience. They made it a very personalized experience about my mother and her level of care. Our family received the highest level of customer service with placing mom, tending to her specific physical and emotional needs. The staff is like extended family and their sincere expression of mom's well being is heartfelt.

Emeritus has been great.

Emeritus has been great. I was very impressed with them when I first saw them. The building itself was really beautiful. We liked the location and the price. It has worked out really well. I would rate them pretty highly.

Bad Choice

Our loved one was in the memory unit. I say was because once we discovered how he was treated he was moved out. The company must have spent all the money on top staff and pretty things. The care in the memory unit is AWFUL. Phil told us as well that they were up to Industry standards but they hide under the assisted living standards. Ratio of 1 uneducated aide to 10 dementia clients is just wrong. Some of the aides like Jodi and Teresa worked well. There were some who were lazy and uncaring. To have 2 people doing laundry, serving food and assisting people is ridiculous.
The group that built this unit must not have had any knowledge of what dementia and Alzheimer's is about. The building is a huge circle and with a yell one cannot be heard from one side or another. Many, who can move their loved ones, have done so. One last comment, all the activities promised in the beginning lasted about 2 months. Last time I was in I noticed a huge decline in awareness and involvement of the people living there and NO ACTIVITIES. just sitting. Please be aware.

Brookdale Senior Living

We apologize your Brookdale experience has been less than you expected. We will be sharing your feedback with our management team.

Very nice place!

They do a fantastic job at Emeritus at East Longmeadow! It really is a fabulous place! The facility itself is beautiful, well maintained, and clean. The staff here are all very friendly, and they do a great job looking out for the people who live here. They've got a good variety of activities and social events as well. It didn't end up being a great fit for our loved one, who needed a bit higher level of care than what they provide, but it is certainly worth a look for those looking into care in the area!

It was a really nice place but it was so deceiving.

The analogy I would say, is it looks like the Ritz Carlton, but it's the service of a Howard Johnson. It looks beautiful and would be okay if you just need a place to say like a hotel, but if you have any needs as far as skilled nursing, it's not the place. They try to get by with two people doing laundry and serving the food, and caring for the residents. If you just need a bed or something to eat it's fine. They didn't even know that she needed to go to the hospital. Then they only wanted her back if she was weight bearing and could transfer, and even then we would have to provide our own CNA. For their tagline to be about how we treat you like family, well I wouldn't want to be in their family. She needed to go to the bathroom, and they said that she just went two hours ago, and that she would have to wait. She had never been to a place where she said someone was rough with her, and the group at night had a couple of people that didn't know what they were doing with a transfer. It was a really nice place but it was so deceiving. I don't think half the staff is qualified. We had to bring toilet paper, and gloves, they wanted us to pay for all of the little extras, even thought they said that it would just be the monthly fee. Phil the executive director told us that they base their staffing on the demand not the industry. When I told him that they needed more people, his response was that they were up to industry standard. Even with the new management it seems to be the same, and I have heard almost all of the staff are looking for other jobs.

Care in the Memory Unit at Emeritus East Longmeadow Ma.

I can't say enough about the staff at Emeritus EL. The facility is beautiful, well kept. The staff that are taking care of my mom in the memory unit are wonderful. They truly care about my mom. They are kind, sweet, caring. We always feel welcome when we visit. The nurse Rhonda is always available to answer questions. She is extremley caring. Mom fell one night and we had to go to the ER. Rhonda stayed late so that she would be there for mom when she came back. Very special.

Great place

It’s brand new facility. The staff is great. I thought the place was immaculate, which was big to me because I had looked at several facilities in my search. My loved on is in the memory care unit, but the hope is that he’ll be able to transition out of memory and into the regular community which is only separated by a double door.

They are excellent.

They are excellent. They have been wonderful. If anything comes up they call me, and they call me right back if I call. The staff is very nice. The food is incredible. The chef is really good, it's like a five star restaurant. There really isn't anything that needs to be improved.

We offer a home like setting and cheerful smiles from our professional staff who greet you everyday. Our caring staff offers the assistance you need while respecting your independence.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.