Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights - Oakland, CA

Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights provides a wide range of services to meet the needs of seniors in all stages of life. They offer everything from independent living to dementia care. They even offer support services for family members, including support groups for those interested. Elderly in their care are allowed maximum independence, with the necessary support to help all maintain a high quality of life. Meals are prepared onsite with nutritional and dietary concerns taken into consideration. The community also has educational, entertainment, and exercise programs freely available to all residents. There is an onsite beauty salon, library, wellness clinic, and chapel. Throughout the homes are indoor and outdoor common areas, including walking paths and gardens. Phone, cable television, and internet are available as well. For those looking for off-site activities, parking and transportation are offered as well. Best of all, their homes are pet friendly, meaning dogs and cats can move in too (or just visit).

AMENITIES AVAILABLE
• Devotional Services Onsite
• Beautician Onsite
• Meals Provided (based on type of occupancy)
• Vegetarian

• Attend church/worship services
  • Massage Therapy
  • Full-time Activity Director
  • Outside Patio Garden
  • Care for seniors and adults recovering from an illness
  • On-site physical therapy
  • Free Assessment
  • Medical Director on Staff
  • Rehabilitation
  • Full Schedule of Trips, Events and Activities!
  • Free Nourishment Stations
  • Free Wifi
  • 3 Balanced Meals and Snacks Per Day
  • Assistance with all aspects of daily living
  • Social, cultural and educational life enrichment programs
  • 100+ years combined experience caring for seniors
  • Care For Pets
  • Bathing, Grooming, Hygiene
  • Medication Reminders

Nice Place!!

i have no complaints of how things are going for my loved one since she has recently made the move into this community. The staff have all been lovely to work with and I am comfortable with the care they have been providing her. I am there pretty much every day I think the caregivers and all of the aids do an exceptional job. I do think that they could use some overall improvements in organization in the facility.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you for leaving this detailed review about your experience with our community. We are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights! We appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again.

Darling spot. Beautiful gardens and feels like a neighborhood with cute little cottages. The "renovation" of the main building
looks like someone from their HQ didn't consider this old-fashioned charming place when they were installing all the over-sized light fixtures and gaudy updates, but that's not as important as the individual housing options. Definitely considering this as a nice place for my Dad.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us this positive 4 star review. We appreciate it and will pass along your comments to the team at Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights. We are glad that you enjoyed our community and we are happy to hear that you are considering it as the new home for your father! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out, we are here for you and your family. We hope to see you again soon!

Friendly Staff!!

I thought the staff at this community where very friendly and made sure to answer any questions we had for them in detail. I liked the open floor plan they had as well as the different apartment packages. I have no complaints about our visit and would defiantly recommend this place to anyone.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you for your positive review. We are very proud of our community and memory care program. We recently started a Facebook page and post weekly pictures of our residents and their interesting activities. (The link to the Facebook page is on our website). If you want to see the activities they are engaging in it is a great way to stay involved. Thank you for your recommendation!

No complaints so far.

I have no complaints so far about how things are going for my mother. She has really adapted well into her new living environment and seems to have adjusted well. The staff have all been very kind to her and kept things organized and professional. She has not gotten involved in too many of the activities but she is liking the meals and dinning experience. Overall we are very pleased.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you for your positive review. It means so much to us that you entrusted us with the care of your mother and we are delighted that you and she are happy here! We try to get 100% participation in our activities, but understand that not everyone wants to. Hopefully, she will find some of our activities intriguing and enjoy them. We recently started a Facebook page and post weekly pictures of our residents. (The link to the Facebook page is on our website). Please feel free to reach out to us here at the community at any time to share your thoughts.

Nice community!!

I had a nice tour of this community, the staff was very friendly and made sure to give my loved one and I a detailed tour of there facility. The only thing i did not like in the assisted living section was all of the rooms had to be shared. My dad would not be happy or comfortable with not having the privacy of his own bedroom.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We do not offer shared rooms for Assisted Living and wanted to reach out to you to discuss. Please feel free to contact our Executive Director at your convenience to discuss.

My happy aunt

I am happy to see that my aunt is happy at this community. She is really likes the staff who are very helpful with her needs. They do offer her activities, but she is not participating at this time. We would recommend this for also being so clean and well taken care of. I would recommend this community to other families for great care.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you for your 4 star positive review. We appreciate you sharing your experience and we are happy to hear that you would recommend us. Your opinion plays an integral part in our customer service. Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you soon!

My aunt's care

My aunt is doing really good at this community. She likes the staff who are caring and friendly. She happy with the activities and enjoys going on field trips and participating with other residents. We liked that it felt more like home then a nursing care.We find it to be very clean and well taken care of. I would recommend this community for the great care that is given and the value.

Pacifica Senior Living

You really made our day today. We strive to provide excellent service to our residents and their families at Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights. Thank you for your heartfelt review and positive recommendation!

A Lovely Community With A Great Staff

This is a lovely community,and everything went very well for my cousin during her stay here. The community looks beautiful, they do a very good job with the cleanliness. I really liked the staff, I knew them all by name. They did a very good job with caring for her and her needs. There are many activities for the residents. The food is okay, they do serve well balanced meals. Overall I was very impressed with all they did for us. It is a community I would I recommend, it is a great place.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you for your positive review, your opinion is very important to us. We are proud of our community and the exceptional level of care we provide. We have a great staff and genuinely care for all our residents! Did you know we have a Facebook page with pictures of our residents and their interesting activities? (The link to the Facebook page is on our website). Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you again. Please feel free to contact with any and all questions, [removed].

Too much construction!!

The staff was excellent during our tour and very patient with any questions my loved one or I had. There was a ton of construction going on during my visit it was very noisy and unpleasant. It was too much of a mess for my liking and did not seem like a comfortable place for my mother to go.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your opinion plays an integral part in our customer service. The construction has been minimized in the public areas and is nearly complete. We'd like the opportunity to show you around the community again, so if you're willing, please contact our Executive Director at [removed]. We hope to hear from you soon.

Dad's Good Care

I am happy with the community for my father. The staff is caring and respectful. The community is very clean and taken care of. My dad is happy here and I would recommend this community to other families.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback, we appreciate it.

Great Care Community

I highly recommend this community due to the excellent staff and care that is given. The activities that are offered are outstanding. Wonderful meals and a variety that is great! A clean community inside and out. Very happy with the care that is given here.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your positive 4 star review!

Moving mom into this community was the right decision for us!!!

Overall mom is doing well at Pacifica. She is getting settled in and involved in the community. The staff are very caring. They welcomed her and made sure her needs were taken care of. The food is good I would say a 4 1/2. This community is very clean and I would recommend it.

Pacifica Senior Living

Thanks for the feedback!! We strive to provide excellent care to our residents at Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights. We are very proud of our community and memory care program. We recently started a Facebook page and post weekly pictures of our residents and their interesting activities. (The link to the Facebook page is on our website). If you want to see the activities they are engaging in it is a great way to stay involved. We are here to make sure that you and your families are happy. Please feel free to reach out at any time to share your thoughts. We look forward to hearing from you.

To be avoided

We just moved our mother out of Pacifica (formally Salem Lutheran Home, a non-profit) due to clear lack of professionalism and oversight. She had been there for about eight years but since the purchase by Pacifica (a for-profit company) the level of care has dropped to a dangerous level. Many employees have a lot of heart and are trying to contend with this transition but the staff is a revolving door. When we left they did not even schedule an exit meeting and it was up to me to hand in the keys. I would not recommend this residence to anyone in its current state.

Pacifica Senior Living

Hi, we are sorry to see that you had a negative experience at our community. We'd like the opportunity to discuss your review, so if you're willing, please contact our Executive Director at [removed]. We hope to hear from you to resolve this matter.

An older facility with real grass but stumbling right now

I have visited a friend at this facility for the past several years. Some of the active senior living accommodations are quite unique and have out front parking.
The year old transition from the old nonprofit to the current wall street ownership has been painful. One would think that Pacifica who runs numerous facilities could do better. So far no long run management just continual change. Off with the old but almost no on with the new. One can only hope, but so far Pacifica has not shown that they can really run the place. For activities I do not think that they are meeting state standards.

Pacifica Senior Living

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our community. We strive for 5 star reviews and would like the opportunity to show you how we have changed for the better. If you're willing, please contact our Executive Director at [removed]. We hope to hear from you to resolve this matter.

Clean, spacious place, nice grounds

The place is large, clean, beautiful. There are nice gardens, and walkways. It's well appointed, with furniture.

The food is menu choice, self service, and good.

The location is close to us, not too far.

My sister finds it friendly, and meets alot of people.

good

excellent

Review of Pacifica Senior Living Oakland Heights Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Oakland, CA

Great place will probably use skilled nursing facility after mom's surgery. Not sure if we can afford assisted living.

Beware of mega corporations taking care of the elderly

I will recount my own experience with my mother and father at this facility over the past six years. Based on my own observations, I would advise anyone currently considering this facility to RUN, not walk away at the earliest opportunity. What was once a compassionate, welcoming facility run by the non-profit Elder Care Alliance has been completely transformed by its new megacorporate behmoth owners.

The former Salem Lutheran Home (SLH), now Pacifica Oakland Heights (POH), is no place for some in need of assisted living or skilled nursing, at least if you care about how your loved will be treated.

SLH is an old facility. Outbuildings that are used to provide lodging for guests visiting residents have basic problems with functioning plumbing and electricity. Maintenance staff is wholly inadequate for the crumbling infrastructure. For example, a double automatic door leading to the Skilled Nursing Unit has had only one half working for the past 3 years. I know this because I go through it every time I visit my family.

With the new ownership, POH has seen wholesale staffing changes at all levels. Nearly all patient care staff are having hours drastically cut (I suspect because the new facility owners do not wish to pay them benefits) and the remaining workers are being run into the ground. It is not uncommon for a patient in the Skilled Nursing Facility to wait 20 to 30 minutes for mobility assistance for activities such as using the toilet.

Back in the day, SLH had a reputation for a good kitchen that fed residents pretty decent food. With the advent of POH, the ENTIRE kitchen staff was let go. Yesterday's lunch consisted of a scoop of instant mashed potatoes, a pile of unseasoned ground beef and frozen vegetables. One of the few pleasures our elders have in their most advanced years is eating a decent meal. If this is a priority for you and your elderly loved one(s), then you should take this into account when looking at this facility.

I would also like to point out that there is a serious problem with the patient population in the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF). Demented patients who clearly belong in memory care are housed in the SNF and the remaining residents have no privacy, due to understaffing and lack of supervision. Private rooms are entered by confused residents and there is no ability to correct the problem, per senior management. Of course, if you don't like the fact that nothing can be done about confused residents wandering the halls and going into your loved one's room and walking off with personal items, you're more than welcome to find a new facility, even if your family member is days away from dying.

It is my opinion that the operating philosophy and priorities of the new owners can best be summed up in a memo which was circulated to the residents on August 5th (and I quote):

"Effective September 1, 2014, Pacifica will no longer be able to routinely provide residents with personal items, such as toilet tissue, bath soap and shampoo/conditioner. You may also notice a reduction in the individually wrapped food items that we stock on the salad bar. Although supplying personal items has been a practice of ECA Salem Lutheran Home, Pacifica isn't capable of this responsibility and can't continue to do so beyond August 30."

Given the high costs associated with caring for our parents and grandparents in the setting of nursing homes and Extended Care Facilities, the prudent consumer should look on entering into a residency contract with an entity such as Pacifica as a major investment requiring substantial due diligence.

Part of that due diligence should be an assessment of the priorities and operating philosophy of the parent organization. In this regard, I believe the above memo speaks more strongly to these points than any additional words I could write.

In closing, I would say that the final due diligence should be an evaluation of the company or organization which runs the facility you are considering. The new owners website can be found at pacificacompanies dot com. Your own opinions and priorities may vary, but I personally have deep reservations about the true commitment of a vertically integrated real estate investment company to taking care of my loved ones.

Especially when they have to pay for their own toilet paper.

Pacifica Senior Living

We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our community. We strive for 5 star reviews and would like the opportunity to show you how we have changed for the better. We'd like the opportunity to discuss your review, so if you're willing, please contact our Executive Director at [removed]. We hope to hear from you soon.

mixed blessing: assisted living great, memory care not

Excellent assisted living situations with beautiful older buildings and well established gardens. However, although they have a gate, it is left open all day without superveillance, so any residents can wander off (as my mother did, in a moment of pique). Within a month, we were pressured into moving her from the assisted living wing (which was well within her means, even with monthly fees for supplementary care) into the 'memory care' unit. The fees doubled, and the quality of care diminished radically. 10 days after moving her to the memory care unit, nobody had bothered to find or replace her missing toothbrush. The situation was unbearable for many reasons, mainly inappropriate human surroundings - only the most careless and patronizing care givers, and 'peers' who were so much farther 'gone' that my mother became terribly isolated and depressed (not that she's a stranger to depression, but these surroundings were truly demoralizing). There were supervisory people who cared tremendously and did their best to improve her situation, but they did not make the rounds every day. My mother is in an intermediate stage, neither assisted living nor memory care is appropriate for her, so she is back at home with me now. If assisted living is your interest, I'd give the place 5 stars, but for memory care just 2.

So far they have been good at staying...

So far they have been good at staying involved with details and making Mom feel at home.

Wonderful tour. We loved t...

Wonderful tour. We loved this place. I would live here if I needed an independent living place. Too costly for mom, who will not need care until she needs to go into a memory care unit ($6,000.00 to $9,000.00 per month). This would be a good place for residents whose children live far away. The neighborhood is not one I would want to go through at night time, so visits would be limited to daylight hours. Food is magnificent (former head chef from Monarch Place - cruise ship chef).

Nice community. Dated, but ...

Nice community. Dated, but scheduled for an upgrade in July 2014. Walking trail for Mom. Staff very friendly and warm. Bobbie Reyes is contact. Cost is $2200/month + $435/medications mgmt. Total of $2635/month. CONS: Up and coming neighborhood. Senior community in gated complex.

Pretty Happy So Far

Things are going along pretty well there. She's going through her own challenges getting used to a new place and that takes it's toll but overall we're pretty happy with the place. We do have some issues with the food in that some of the things have salt. The chef doesn't add salt to things but some of the prepared food that they use to make things like sauces do have salt and that tends to increase the salt level. We're talking with them about that and they're being pretty cooperative. Everybody's really nice. She's very well cared for. The activities are really nice. She's getting a lot of encouragement to take part in things.

Dated and Hospital-Like

It was a very dated building. People were very open but the environment, I felt, was a little too hospital-like. I wanted more of a community that had a sitting area and a little more open common areas.

lovely grounds; iffy neighb...

lovely grounds; iffy neighborhood; the place seemed sloppy

Horrible!

Horrible. It was just dingy and depressing and the halls were dark and narrow. It was very, very, very institutional. Everybody had a sad face on. There was no interaction betweent the staff and the patients that I saw.

This place looks very nice,...

This place looks very nice, haven't had a chance to call and the area is dicey.

Gated grounds with gardens. Warm and ...

Gated grounds with gardens. Warm and welcoming. Big. Seems life good food. Activities and outings. Expensive w $4000 admittance fee prior to boarding ($2800 studio) and care fees ($425-850).

Loved this place. It's not in the gre...

Loved this place. It's not in the greatest neighborhood.

Outstanding community. Will be retur...

Outstanding community. Will be returning for a second visit