The Point at Rockridge, located in the Rockridge neighborhood in Oakland, is across street from a complete shopping center and only a few blocks from the unique shopping areas of Piedmont and College Avenues. Physician’s offices, medical facilities, churches and synagogues, as well as UC Berkeley, the Oakland Museum, and the Paramount Theatre are close by. Additionally, there are many forms of transportation available, including BART and excellent bus and taxi service.

The Point at Rockridge provides the elegance of country living in a convenient urban setting. Each apartment is personalized with the resident’s own furnishings, and tasteful wall-to-wall carpeting and draperies are provided. Included in one month-to-month fee is delicious restaurant style dining, weekly housekeeping and full laundry service, utilities, 24 hour security and emergency alert system, and the most diverse enrichment, event, and adult education programs available.
The professionally supervised staff reflects our philosophy by realizing that residents are still growing and learning. Our sensitive staff knows that each resident possesses a life that holds promise for the future. Because of this attitude, they provide the highest quality of service while promoting independence and self-esteem.
Additionally, a full licensed, RN supervised Assisted Living Program is available.

Good Tour, Kind People

I had a good tour of this community. Everyone was very kind and thoughtful. The staff I met was very kind and informative. All my questions were answered, and they were also very knowledgeable. It is a good community, but not the one for us.

"Generations" Memory Care Unit at The Point at Rockridge

The Point at Rockridge has a relatively new memory care unit called "Generations." Call and have the receptionist put you on hold so you can listen to the spiel. It's all a pack of lies. There is no individual program designed for anyone. They herd them around in groups during the daytime and sit them in front of a movie, often one they've seen over and over again, after dinner. There is no spiritual care there, as they claim. The caregivers are underpaid and undertrained. With a few exceptions, they are dismissive, condescending and patronizing. I have personally witnessed how absolutely uninterested in and disrespectful of the residents some of them are. [removed]. My mother has gone days without having a meaningful conversation with anyone working there. The food is unappetizing most of the time and the alternative menu that they supposedly offer never gets produced for the residents. The food is often cold by the time it gets upstairs from the kitchen. Residents are refused seconds. My mother has had caregivers [removed] from her and mentally [removed]. Her laundry has disappeared and not been replaced. The facility director, Kirsten, cares more about the facility's reputation than about the residents. Don't expect any cooperation from her if you have a concern. She's all sweetness and light before you move your loved one in. After they're in, it's a different story. Life seems to be much better in assisted living but forget about omelets made to order, an array of desserts, not to mention Mimosas, in Generations. The residents of Generations are treated like second class citizens in the facility despite the exorbitant fees they are charged. If you do decide to put your loved one there, drop in often, at different times of the day and night. And expect to be extremely vigilant in terms of how they are treated and cared for.

Review of The Point of Rockridge in Oakland, CA

Pleasant local location near transportation. 120 rooms, weekly cleaning, linen changes. Large dining area. Meals plus snacks anytime. Menu varies. 6 weeks Sunday banquet and champagne. Entertainment fair, activities and trips, etc. Mostly friendly people.

Review of Point at Rockridge in Oakland, CA

This seems to be the best senior care residence in the North Oakland area. The facility and programs are geared to mature audiences and are not "dumb down" for the few with cognitive impairment. Additional care is easy to obtain as needed. Food service is improving (and could use some more improvement) and is the center of the seniors day.

not recommend

Not a good place mangment does not care about the employee nor the residents. Only cares about money and how many residents they can get to move in high turn over rate. Residents don't get quality care. Would not recommend some residents in the memory care unit are only on this floor because they have know please else to keep them. Most don't have dementia but have behavior issues.

Review of Point at Rockridge in Oakland, CA

Poorly managed. Understaffed maintenance, drivers, dining room. Good activities. Caregivers not well trained. More interested in appearance than residents.

Satisfied

I feel this is the right place for my mother. She is adjusting and we feel assured she is in the right place.

I would recommend The Point at Rockridge...

They keep it very clean. The staffing is where they could use some work, no one is mean, but some of them aren't as outgoing as others. There is a little bit of high turnover. My mother has no complaints about the staff at all, she says they are very nice and talk to her. We had some issues in the beginning, but they have demonstrated the ability, to fix things and respond to the concerns very well. She really enjoys the dining experience. I would recommend The Point at Rockridge, it's beautiful, and it's very scenic, we have a great view.

The General Manager gave us...

The General Manager gave us all of the info we needed. Although the point didn't work for us, we now know what questions to ask providers. This was an excellent experienice.

Nice place, overall

They did a good job overall at Point of Rockridge, The facility itself looked nice, they had plenty of activities, and the staff were all very sweet and considerate. We had a few initial difficulties while she was getting settled in but they worked with us to get them sorted out. Overall it was a good experience.

like an elegant cruise ship.

We liked the size of the apartment and the view of the bay from its large outdoor balcony. The lobby and dining room feel like an elegant cruise ship. The residents and staff are very friendly. The food is pretty good, but not very seasoned, it can be a little bland and just a little starchy. It's certainly edible and fresh. My loved one is stronger now, and putting on weight as the dr. wanted.

They have a lot going on, but not too much that my loved one is interested in yet. She does like the current events class, is trying other activities. The one problem is the transportation, they have a town car to take people to appointments, but they don't wait for you, your family has to meet you, or you have to call and wait when you are done. Understandable for a longer appointment but really inconvenient when you only have a ten minute blood test.

Medical doctor recommends highly

I moved my mother into The Point at Rockridge. I am very impressed with the new management and executive director Kirsten. I am a medical doctor, therefore finding the best potential fit for my mom was crucial. The staff is well equipped and trained. I was concerned about the new Change over of management, however I believe this has been for the better having been in the geriatric industry for 30 years. I was in constant contact with seniors living there previously with different owners and management and it sounded terrible. Kirsten the executive director goes out of her way each day to motivate her team and ensure the excellence for the residents care and needs. These companies are extremely money hungry and make promises they cannot keep. The point at Rockridge is very resident based. Stay away from larger corporations like sunrise, brookdale\emeritus etc. They have lost of what is important. This is the best community in Oakland.

Mostly terrific

My 93 year old mother stayed at The Point at Rockridge for the month of March 2014, because I needed to be in California for the month. (She's usually in assisted living near where I live in Massachusetts).

Best things about Rockridge:
- EVERYONE on staff was extremely friendly and attentive. Really terrific group of hardworking people.
- Very convenient location, in the thick of things at Oakland and next to shopping center.
- Decent food and great to have open availability of meals 7am-7pm.
- Parking garage so easy to visit and so mom could easily get to my car when I wanted to take her out
- Stimulating movie choices
- Mom enjoyed the outdoor patio and I enjoyed the exercise facilities

Things that were less than perfect:
- The building was built for independent living, not assisted living. Needs renovations.
- While we were there, it was still in "start up" mode, staff dealing with a lot of things and a bit overwhelmed.
- Aesthetically the rooms are like motel rooms, little square boxes. The hallways feel like that, too. Not that inviting.

Like any place, it's what you make of it. Takes time to find other residents to become friendly with and takes time to feel at home.

I was not impressed.

This is a lovely place, beautiful really, but just not a good fit for our loved one. They basically were able to handle the physical care but I think are not equipped for dementia patients. At first, we were thrilled with The Point at Rockridge, but I have received several phone calls from Jan, the previous Director of the Generations Floor (she is gone now), that our loved one was very difficult to deal with. I don't think that the current staff on the Generations Floor know how to deal with dementia patients who are stubborn and uncooperative. Also, as I talked to various staff members, they told me either that it was their second or third day, so it seems that there is a high turnover there, which isn't good for my loved one. In addition, there are no men staffers, only women. One day Jan called me and asked me and my husband to come down and "read the riot act" to my loved one. Apparently, he would not let anyone change him or get near him.I think Jan told me that this GENERATIONS UNIIT was fairly new, so perhaps the people are not thoroughly trained or prepared to deal with dementia patients. At least, they had a hard time with my loved one. When I asked one of the helpers at the Point about activities on Sunday, she said "Tea and Cookies." This would last for one hour or more. He isolates himself in his room and stays in bed and watches TV. The Point can only provide one channel - 5. I didn't see much during the tour just a model of the room he would be in. I was not impressed.

VERY mixed experience

Some activities are run by people who speak to seniors as if they were retarded, when the attendees are smarter than the people running that activities. Some laundry machines broken. Some food is unhealthy- one day I was there, lunch was pepperoni pizza followed by very fatty spare ribs (50% fat). The transportation has been a problem- there is ONE town car and ONE van, often ONE driver on duty so only one vehicle is available. One driver recently was relocated to a desk job when it was discovered she was driving the van on an expired driver's license. There was an outbreak of a GI infection last year (when it was under different management still, as Monarch), and all activities were cancelled for a month. PROS- very nice residents, occasionally a meal is good and there are options off the standard menu when the daily offering is bad, there is a good brain- exercise class offered now. The apartments are a nice size with good sunlight and there is an on-site handyman to fix things. Weekly housecleaning does a good job. Outings to Oakland As and San Francisco Symphony are fantastic.

Engaging Activities

My mother is very happy there. It's working really well. She's only been in there for two months. The staff is incredibly lovely. They're very reputable, kind, and patient. I think the food is good. What I like is the food is available really any time they need it. They don't have to go down during certain hours. They can pretty much get anything they want any time they want which I really appreciate. There are numerous activities and my mom is engaged in a lot of them. She's going to the movies, doing the exercises, playing dominos, doing a crossword puzzle thing, attending some of the discussions, she went to an A's game. So I'm very pleased.

Terrible

Everybody looked unhappy. The facility was terrible and the rooms were very college dorm.

lovely place - appears to b...

lovely place - appears to be well-run - the culture may be too activist-liberal for him (former firefighter- Vietnam vet)

Not for us. Carlos was ver...

Not for us. Carlos was very nice and helpful but not what we are looking for.

We met with Susan. She was...

We met with Susan. She was fantastic! Mom loved how well she understood this sector and appreciated her thoughtfulness. Place looked great, well designed. Large dining area and overall great space. I could see this being a nice option, great location near Piedmont street and not far from Berkeley. Giant fishtank was cool, activity areas were nice. Great view on top floor common space. One to be considered.

This seems to be the best m...

This seems to be the best match so far for my dad.

Spectacular facility, very nice staff...

Spectacular facility, very nice staff. No explicit diabetes management and the nursing staff member I spoke with seemed quite reticent. Dialysis location very nearby. The expense may be too high though especially if visiting nurses have to be brought in. I like the "valet" parking for residents, and the dining room looks amazing. A recent $6M renovation is very evident.

nice location and setting, 3 meals/da...

nice location and setting, 3 meals/day, many activities and trips, excellent transporation - 2 town cars and a bus, all units have balcony or patio, good diversity, fireplace lounge and laundry on every floor