Lake Shore Assisted Living Residence - Lake Ronkonkoma, NY

Best place for DAD!

My father is MOST Happy Here at Lake Shore! He was rec. By an amazing Senoir Advocate [Name removed]. When my father was refusing to live in my home.I was upset,untrusting and truly at my wits end . I wanted best SAFETY,and Care for my father.Lake Shore has been totally amazing!!!After a smart match of a roomate,my Dad Wont leave for family dinners at my house ,or a lunch out.... He says they are waiting for me at HOME!!! He truly is at home Here & cared for all the way! FOOD<MEDICAL,Sherry and WEEK end STAFF AMAZING!! Truly Love Lake Shore Assisted Living REsidence! [Name removed] {Gratefuldaughter}

Do not waste your time!!!

I feel duped by this facility and they are not up front with anything. After I flew to NY and paid all of the fees for this beautiful room, she was in here for 2 full days before they informed me she could not have her car. After only 18 days here, I had to move my mom out and fight a battle to get the community fee back. When she was here, there were constant problems. They actually have a big cat that would roam the cafeteria waiting for scraps. It smelled like urine where that cat hung out and I’m not sure if it’s the residents or the cat. The cat isn’t even nice! When I tried to pet it, the cat actually tried to bite me. While my mom was here, she had an assigned seat with a sign saying “lactose intolerant”. They continuously tried to feed her normal milk, cream soups, and pizza. After she asked for a different meal and waiting a long time, they would serve her PB&J or a meat sandwich. The other incident that would happen is one of the residents was walking around late at night in his underwear. His lower half was exposed and when my mom attempted to speak with the staff about it, they did nothing. I would never recommend this facility.

Lori Brandt

We are sorry you feel you had an unpleasant experience at our facility, and that the court didn't see things in your favor.
Please know our #1 concern is the safety of our residents, and because of the information we were given we wanted a physician to determine your mother's ability to drive.

Overall the visit went fine and I think this would be a good fit for my Dad and brother.The next step I tried to take was to schedule their medical evaluations, which I couldn't do during my initial call as I was waiting on a date to close on a house. I called on 9/27 at 11:20 a.m. First I was put on hold for over 5 minutes. Then I tried calling back and was immediately put on hold again, then when the next person picked up I was put on hold AGAIN. I'm just trying to find a safe, comfortable place for my dad and brother. It shouldn't be THIS difficult just to speak to someone in admissions. I'd love for them to come live there but I cannot find anyone to help me make this possible.

Good Experience Overall

This is a nice community, and my tour of it went well. The staff was very kind, and helpful. Everything was nice,and clean. The experience was a good one, but this was not the right fit for my mother, and her needs.

Angry in Suffolk County

This facility is a nightmare for all types of senior care. I have a relative with limited mobility that lived there for a year. We were assured they could handle her needs. Our rates were raised after a period of time and were once again assured our loved one would get the extra care needed. This did not happen. Our loved one spent many hours alone in the room without a changing or any checking resulting in injuries and UTI infections. She was dropped by an aid on several occasions and fell out of bed requiring a hospital visit or sometimes a stay. The day room smells horrific and hits you as soon as you walk in the door. Many are left there unchanged for hours on end. They are also severely understaffed. It would take up to 30 minutes to get someone to respond to a call for assistance. Do not consider this as a place for anyone. I am so sorry we left our loved one there as long as we did. I can't believe this facility is still in business.

Never again

My uncle lived in this facility for about a year and a half. The rooms are decent, many with beautiful views of Lake Ronkonkoma. Not a bad dinner menu. Enough activities to keep your loved ones busy, that is: if they are coherent. The staff that loved ones deal with operate like customer service representatives, nonetheless they are very nice. However the behind the scenes staff- not so much. I spent alot of time getting to know the place and I am very suprised about a few key things most of these reviews lack. Number one: The majority of the aids do not speak english. This made it quite hard for my uncle to communicate his needs. I speak spanish fluently so after speaking with a few of them I uncovered that The Lake Shore hires aids without ANY certifications. These women get paid less than minimum wage and many are undocumented workers and [Removed] immigrants. Many of them are very kind- but many of them are not and often skip showers if they are understaffed (which is almost always) and residents go unchanged and uncared for. This may have something to do with the very pungent odor that hits you as soon as you walk through the door, almost like the floors are soaked with urine. If your loved one is unfortunate enough to be in the back area of the first floor I would recommend persistance with the facility. They back area has the feel of an institution filled with uncared for residents which often are unable to communicate. They are often left to sit in their own filth for days. One instance that really stood out to me happened in my uncles final months of residency- a 73 year old resident had beaten his roommate to death and staff did not discover the incidence until the next day. If you are looking for somewhere to shove a distant family memeber and not look back this facility is located in a beautiful place just beside lake ronkonkoma which makes it easy to forget about them. Would not recommend.

just a short note to express my appreciation to all the staff at Lake Shore who provide such compassionate care to my dad. It gives me great comfort to know that dad is receiving good care in a clean and welcoming environment. Know that your work is acknowledged and appreciated.

Inappropriately Dressed Tour Guide

I was not impressed with my tour of this community. The lady that walked up to me to give me my tour of the facility was dressed very inappropriate. It made me think how is she really trying to sell this community. I would not have felt comfortable moving my wife to this community.

A Saving Grace

The place itself is very clean and updated. The Staff is extremely friendly and helpful to the residents.

Mom's Respite stay @ Lake Shore

My Mom [Removed] recently had the pleasure of a Respite stay @ the Lake Shore. [Removed] and all the Lake Shore staff are truly amazing, kind, considerate, and really made my Mom feel at home while she was well taken care of simultaneously. The facility has a warm feeling, clean and welcoming. Will definitely be considering Lake Shore for another Respite in the near future and would highly recommend Lake Shore if you or your loved one are considering Senior assisted living.
Thanks again Lake Shore!!!

Bad Oder!

Lake Shore AL is relatively inexpensive and the admin staff is very good but overall there could be improvements. My relative was not there for a long period of time and when you walk in there is a somewhat unpleasant odor and it is stronger than other assisted living places I've been to. Also, when my relative was speaking to an aide and asked a question the aide responded, " look don't give me a hard time". This was disturbing that an aide would speak this way to an elderly and vulnerable person so overall not the best experience.

Excellent Medical Care

The people there seem wonderful. The medical care is excellent. It is very clean. The only negative I would say is that they need to hire more aides to help people. They also need to update it a little more so it is aesthetically pleasing.

It was excellent. They treated us like family.

It was excellent. Exceeded my expectations. My mom was only there for 3 weeks but they were very friendly and helpful. It was like family. I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a nice place. Even the food was good. The staff couldn't have been better. They treated my mom like she was family. Lori the administrator was like a relative of mine. She treated me like a relative. Everything there was personal.

Excellent.

Lori is affable, compassionate and very helpful. She made the transition easy for my Dad and my sister and myself. Lake Shore is as cheerful as an assisted living facility can be especially given the circumstances. There are plenty of activities that really are fun for the seniors. And the view of the lake is peaceful and beautiful.

Here only a short time but all is well

Only here for one month and so far its been very good with great views of the lake!!

nice place

They did really well at the beginning. There were a few issues that developed along the way. It was often very difficult for me to get the information I needed. They need to communicate more and better with the families of the residents.

They place is very nice and clean though, and the people there are friendly. Overall it was a very positive experience.

Hungry!!

A Place for Mom was SUPERB in finding me a place for my father quickly and within my means. They were wonderful. As for Lake Shore Assisted Living, the food was beyond terrible. Not only was it unhealthy (a hot dog for dinner served to a 78 year old diabetic?!?!?) but there was never enough. After my father called me one evening CRYING that he was hungry, I went and bought him a refrigerator for his room. Unfortunately, the facility did not allow hot plates or toaster ovens.

I experienced a fire drill during an afternoon visit that went very well. It was organized and all residents were rushed out. However, having visited in the evenings, there are only 2 staff members on which then turns to 1 staff member overnight. Should there be an emergency there is NO WAY those residents will survive with that lack of staffing especially those on the 3rd floor where my father was. almost all residents used walkers or canes. they could never get down those stairs without the help of more staff.

I have already removed by father from that facility. It was a shame because the location is beautiful and the price was affordable. Unfortunately he was not fed properly nor looked after properly in the evenings.

Nice place, overall

Overall our experience with Lake Shore Assisted Living has been a positive one. The staff are friendly, and the building is well kept and clean. This is my first experience with a senior community, so maybe my expectations were set to high, but I do think the person coordinating the medical services could do a better job.

Nice looking, low-key community

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. I liked what I saw of this place during our tours. It was a well kept, nice looking place, and the staff all seemed very friendly. They also allow pets here, which I know can be a deciding factor for some families. However we didn't feel like this place would have been the best fit for our loved one. It is a low-key, quiet community, and we felt our loved one would do better on somewhere with a bigger focus on activities.

Good care for the price

Things have gone fine at Lake Shore Assisted Living. It isn't as high quality as some of the expensive places we looked at, it has a bit of a "nursing home" smell, it's an older building, etc. However, they seem to be on top of things when it comes to the care. The staff are friendly, attentive, and professional. They also do a good job with the food. They have a good balance between the care they provide and the price, and it was a good match for what we were looking for.

Staff was very engaging and...

Staff was very engaging and seemed nice.Wanted to try the food and was disappointed that wasn't a option. That turned us off. Also not all the rooms had walk in showers.Some of the areas needed some freshening up and updates.

Suitable for the price at t...

Suitable for the price at that time.

Other residents seem pretty happy.

The housekeeper said she cleans the rooms once a week. I noticed that there is a smell in his room. Every day or twice a day they empty the garbage they say they dust once a week, but they don't seem clean the rooms very often, it may be that my father has too much stuff and he may make it difficult for them to clean his room, so it's hard to say. Three or four times a week there is a shuttle. He has a little fridge. But he complains that they have tilapia and mac and cheese every day. Other residents seems pretty happy and one person I spoke to really loved it. They do go around and let everyone know that dinner is ready. They could be possibly a little understaffed. They have a barbeque with the warm weather and a movie area and a T.V. area. It's much smaller than others and less expensive. This place is probably the oldest of the ones I saw, its up a hill and by a lake, with a very pretty view. The first floor seems to be a little more supervised.

They have gone above and beyond!

They have gone above and beyond! The people there are so helpful and friendly! They could update some more of the rooms and the bathrooms but they are starting, they have done the hallway and some rooms already. If you want to have a family get-together they will find the space for you. They don't charge extra for meals with family, they make sure the families stay involved. They are extremely accomodating, and if the residents dont get along they go out of their way to match them up with ones they will get along with. The view is gorgeous some are lake views, even in the back of the building you're looking at the mountain. They are very accommodating. We pay exactly what they told us we would. They go out of their way to bring in entertainment every week.

IBe Sure That Your LOved one is in he right facility

Lake Shore Drive is a friendly, attractive facility located on well-known Lake Ronkonkama, a vacation attraction near the Eastern part of Long Island. It is a warm, friendly place, a family atmosphere prevails. However it is the wrong placement for my sister, who needs more care than she is receiving.
When we brought her there a month ago she was assigned a pleasant room on the 3rd floor with a lovely room-mate. However, during the short time she has been there it has become apparent that she cannot perform the necessary requirements of daily living and needs more and more assistance for everything from getting out of bed to dressing and undressing herself and going to the bathroom.Lake Shore Assisted Living is not set up to offer this kind of assistance, The initial problem is that my sister was not properly evaluated and should never have been accepted..
Now, realizing that she needs to be transferred to a full nursing facility, they say that they can;t deal with this serious problem until some time next week. I believe that this facility is under-served and they are failing to serve the needs of the families and "the loved ones" they profess to care about. .

Institutional Looking

It was a beautiful setting and location but I was not willing to leave my brother there becasue we encountered to many people that were either senile, had severe Alzheimer's or were non-communicative. I simply could not see my brother living in a setting like that. I think it was institutional looking and so did my brother. I didn't want him to be there.

Good Community

We are very happy with this community. It is clean and very well maintained. The staff is really friendly and they take really good care of our loved one. Our family is happy with the care he is receiving and we would recommend this community to anyone.

Needs Rehab

Toured approx 1 year ago for mom. The place has a great location, mom would have loved it, however the place needs a makeover and the smell of urine was everywhere. It was very big and I saw alot of areas unattended. Now my mom is in a wheelchair so I was not worried about her being unattended. If they ever redo and fix it up a bit I will be sure to bring mom.

I liked it

I am looking for a place for my aunt, who is 80 years old. I liked Lake Shore...it was clean, spacious and affordable (several hundred dollars cheaper per month for a private room). It doesn't have all the fancy chandeliers and high priced carpet, but who needs that. What I am looking for is a place where my aunt can be comfortable, well fed, assisted with her daily living activities, and to not be alone every day. I am still looking around and have not made a decision yet, but Lake Shore is number one on my list right now.

toured very friendly will discuss lak...

toured very friendly will discuss lakeshore with her

Toured Lake Shore. The young man who...

Toured Lake Shore. The young man who showed us the facility was very informative. Although the prices were right the facility itself needs some revamping. Thank you for this opportuunity to visit Lake Shore.

Beautiful, affordable for my Dad. Cle...

Beautiful, affordable for my Dad. Clean, friendly environment, perfect!

Very clean. Everything included, no o...

Very clean. Everything included, no odors at all. Observed numerous activities. Lunchtime tour guide was very informative. Beautiful outdoor space, good food choices. Monitors health issues for nutrition, felt safe. Additional care charge if needed month to month living.

ake Shore Assisted Living, on Long Island NY, a family-owned and operated facility, is unmatched in providing excellent senior care for over 40 years. Located on beautiful Lake Ronkonkoma we offer spacious accommodations, delicious dining, an award-winning recreation program and much more.