The Bristal at Sayville - Sayville, NY

The Bristal is a Palace!

There are not enough words to say how incredible The Bristal at Sayville is. The decor is beautiful, the activities varied and plentiful, but most importantly each and every staff member treats my mom like family. As my mom always says “they are really truly nice, not just pretending.” From the moment you walk in to be greeted with a beautiful smile from [Removed] (the works’s finest receptionist) to the nurses, aides, housekeepers, activities and dining staff — each person is genuinely caring thoughtful patient and loving. The Bristal has added so much to our mom’s life and to the comfort of our whole family. I travel often and am anxious about my mom — but knowing she is at The Bristal where her every need is attended to gives me the ultimate gift of comfort. The Bristal is a palace that treats its “family” as royalty.

ellen antonucci

Thank you for your kind words. We could not be happier to have you and your mother as a part of our family!

Memory care unit

I was lucky enough to know someone working at The Bristal in Sayville and was able to move my mom into the last room (at the time) available in their memory care unit quickly. I had no choice but to keep my mom safe and I knew the locked unit was what she needed. I did not feel they had to "sell" it to me. I was confident she was well taken care of; had the ability to call or visit unannounced and satisfied with the care she was given. The staff was wonderful and the facility well cared for. I know my mom was well taken care of.

We Liked This the Best

My wife is very happy being apart of the assisted living community. They are taking care of her and they got her involved in some different types of therapy. The food is excellent. I eat with her twice a week and we enjoy the meals very much. We were looking for a one bedroom but we got a deluxe studio instead. There was not an available one bedroom at the time.

Not happy

Well, we experienced a "hard sell" and were told how much care and attention our mom would receive, and as of now, with her being there 2 months, its more hype than anything else. Her laundry is not done, they don't get her involved in activities, nor do they monitor her cleanliness. Why are we paying $7,400 per month, when all she really is being is warehoused. Not pleased.

ellen antonucci

Making the transition into assisted living can be a challenge for some seniors, especially in the first few months. It can take time for them to appreciate the benefit of having such a hands-on support system around them. At first, they may resent the attention as being an intrusion or impingement on their freedom. Some tend to act out to express their frustrations, refusing to cooperate with staff in such mundane things as getting undressed for bed, bathing, and participating in Wellness and Recreational programs. Some see these moments as opportunities for protest, as they resist fitting in to their new home and surroundings.

This is a fairly common occurrence in senior living, and while our staff are careful not to force residents into doing those things they refuse — even when beneficial — we use softer means of coaxing and persuasion until residents come to see the good of this new life and embrace our tenacious care. Eventually, most all do. Clearly, this time will also frustrate the family, but at The Bristal at Sayville, as with all our communities, our management and staff are sensitive and respectful of these very real concerns. During our more than 15 years in this industry, The Bristal team has developed effective methods for helping residents and families overcome these transitions, and we ask for extra trust and patience with our most challenging cases. As stated earlier, it is a rare thing indeed for a resident not to accept the benefits of assisted living. Time and again, they eventually fit in, lovingly adopting The Bristal as home.

In addition to the above, we ask you please to consider this: When it comes to making a choice about an assisted living community, we have found over our more than a decade operating that every resident and family has unique and diverse needs — distinct expectations, priorities, perspectives and experiences — and that some aspects which prove essential for some families are less important to others. This is why we encourage all families who are considering The Bristal to visit us in person, take a tour, ask their own questions, and see for themselves what makes us such a successful and sought after senior care solution in the communities we are privileged to serve.

Moving Because Not Enough Men Here

The care was good, the meals were good, and the people were wonderful. But there were more women than guys and not enough things for the guys to do.

Pretty Nice Tour

My tour of this community was a pretty nice one. The tour went well. The staff I met was friendly, and nice. The community was clean, and well-kept from what I saw. It was a good experience overall. We did find another community that suited our needs better.

insensitive nurse

nurse supervisor [removed] is extremely rude and insensitive.

A son's perspective

As the son of a resident at The Bristal in Sayville, my experiences have all been positive. The building is brightly decorated and comfortable. This is my father’s home now and The Bristal makes every accommodation they possibly can to make him feel at home. My father cannot walk through the building without being greeted by name - by all staff. The care he receives is delivered by kind, caring, professionals. He participates in a number of activities each day and is more socially interactive now than he was before he moved here. Food was a key concern of my father’s when we were looking at different facilities. We remain impressed by the selection of items offered at mealtime and thrilled that the menu changes daily, for weeks (months?), without repeating.

My father is quite happy at The Bristal and that is a big relief to me.

the staff is awsome

A positive experience.

I find the staff at The Bristal to be attentive, caring, aware and informative. The facility is immaculate and is kept that way on a daily basis. My experience with all concerned has been totally positive, with questions answered and problems addressed satisfactorily. All in all, I would have no hesitation in recommending The Bristal to anyone in need of such assistance,

This place is nothing like the pictures. Very expensive and the food is terrible, they don't have enough help for the residents. They actually place ankle bracelets on the residents like criminals. It is a very sad, depressing place. As everything else on Long Island its all about the money and not the people! I am very, very disappointed.I need to get my Mom out of there!!!

ellen antonucci

The Bristal at Sayville is one of our newest communities and is, quite frankly, one our most active and energetic. The residents at Sayville are extremely happy, and we hear all the time that their family members are delighted. Every photo shown on the Sayville page of The Bristal Web site is of actual residents and resident life within the community itself. The bracelets mentioned are part of a state-of-the-art WanderGuard System used exclusively in our memory care area. It simply monitors the whereabouts of residents with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia to help ensure their safety around the clock. We encourage anyone interested in The Bristal at Sayville to come out and tour the community in person. It is immaculately designed and is competitively priced — if not priced lower than other communities in its class. In fact, in less than one year, The Bristal at Sayville is already operating at 97% occupancy. This fact, more than anything else, speaks volumes regarding the level of care and quality of life our residents experience there.

Nice decor but subpar care

The new, beautiful facility belies the poor care and chaotic environment in the memory care unit. Not enough staff to properly look after the residents. [removed]. My mother was left to fend for herself at times when she clearly needed more care. She was rarely showered at at one point her hair was left unwashed for over a month! The same staff who care for the residents are also the same who serve the meals. They are overworked and I suspect underpaid. On numerous occasions I overheard staff complaining about the working conditions and how they are just waiting for a better job to come along. Not comforting to overhear! The director herself confided that they are not in control of the staff and the unit.
DO NOT be swayed with the beautiful decor and spacious accommodations. This is not a safe place for your loved one with memory issues.

ellen antonucci

We appreciate and are pleased to earnestly address every legitimate review of all communities of The Bristal Assisted Living organization, because we welcome all perspectives and we consider all authentic reviews — those based on genuine experiences — as opportunities to improve. This review, however, is so counter to everything we value at The Bristal Assisted Living, that we must challenge its authenticity. It raises issues regarding the most basic levels of care neglect that, were they to be true, we would have been investigated by the New York State Department of Health for those issues which we have not. The Bristal at Sayville, in particular, is one of our newest communities, and we know for a fact that our residents and their families love it there. All memory care areas of all communities of The Bristal, called Reflections, operate under strict guidelines established by the New York State Department of Health, which we not only meet, but also, in many cases, exceed. We urge this reviewer to speak personally with the executive director of The Bristal at Sayville regarding all genuine grievances. But more importantly, we encourage anyone considering The Bristal at Sayville to visit and tour the community, speak to our residents and their families in person, and make your decisions based on what you see and hear for yourself.

genuine care, great help

The front-end part of the process showed very genuine concern, that they were really wanting to help us out and not just make a sale. They were always there to help out, answered all our questions, took us on multiple tours, and just showed endless patience. When some family members showed a little hesitancy, the entire staff chipped in to help out and they really went out of their way to make us all feel comfortable in our decision. It has been a very positive experience with The Bristal Assisted Living at Sayville and I would highly recommend them.

The Bristal is beautiful . Outgoing, friendly people that work there that truly care about the residents . Many activities, great meals.
However, The care of the resident is not consistent . We are paying extra to make sure that mom is reminded and encouraged to get up, ( sometimes it happens ) wear different clothes everyday and make sure she properly showers at least 3 times a week. It's not happening consistently.

This place is brand new, only opened up in July 2014. We really liked the feel of The Bristal. It was clean, well maintained and the staff was very friendly. We will be taking our father there to see it before making a decision.

Living at the Bristal in Sayville-Reflections

staff is very attentive and caring. residents are encouraged to be active and participate in the numerous scheduled activities.

memory care unit is clean and the environmental color scheme is very relaxing. the facility is new which is a plus.

food is above average, not gourmet and every once in a while room temperature if you are last to be served.

overall a very nice place for a family member especially with dementia. every effort is made to address their needs. residents are well dressed and clean.

not all medical specialists are available on a visiting basis which is the only draw back. perhaps this may improve in the future.

Nice looking place!

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for a loved one. Overall I thought this place looked very nice! The community itself was clean and well kept, and the staff all seemed very friendly. This place is very nice overall, and definitely worth a look if you are looking into care options for a loved one in the area!

ellen antonucci

Thank you very much for the lovely review. Our team is thrilled to receive kind words from visitors and our residents.

I LOVE the Bristal

I can't say enough about the Bristal. My mother was one of the very first residents to move in. She is in the memory care portion, known as "reflections", for people with dementia. She absolutely loves it and is thriving. The person who met with me when it was under construction was very experienced and knowledgable, helped me in every way possible, even comforting me about the stress my family was under! I work in a similar facility that is much higher priced and I like the Bristal much better. It definitely won't be in every person's budget though. The staff is uniformly wonderful. They are compassionate, kind and talented, bringing art and music programs and joy. The facility is beautiful. But I know that my mother is in good hands. I trust these staff members implicitly. We are very happy.

ellen antonucci

All we can say, is THANK YOU, for the kind words. It is truly wonderful to know that we're exceeding your expectations.

Personable and attentive staff

We've had a good experience with The Bristal at Sayville overall. It's a beautiful brand new building, and they do a great job keeping everything clean and nice looking. The staff are very personable and very attentive, and do a great job taking care of the residents. They also provide a good variety of activities to keep everyone engaged and entertained!

ellen antonucci

The team at Sayville appreciates the wonderful review. As we say, it's not just what we do, it's how we do it!

The Bristal, Sayville, a great place!

My mom just loves being at The Bristal, Sayville. She loves the people, the environment, the activities and the friends she is making.

ellen antonucci

Thank you MIchael! We're thrilled that your mom is doing well.

The buildings looked very n...

The buildings looked very nice - still under construction. It may have been the sales rep present on the day i went -- hated it. She did not seem aware that older people would be living there. She would be better suited to sell time shares at a vacation destination. She stared at me with a blank face when I asked if the Bristal maintained or had relationships with providers of services elderly might need. No transportation provided for anything. .. . (as per the sales rep)

ellen antonucci

Thank you for visiting the construction site of our latest community of The Bristal at Sayville, which is still very much under development. We apologize if the representative present on the day of your visit was not able to answer your questions to your satisfaction, and we regret that your experience was anything less than stellar. That said, because we'd like for you to have a complete and accurate understanding of all that The Bristal can mean for your family, we urge you to visit again or call Sayville's Executive Director, Lara Serro. We are confident all your questions will be answered to your satisfaction.

decided it is too expensive...

decided it is too expensive for me

ellen antonucci

Dear Sir/Madam~We're sorry to hear that the community was not within your budget. Patricia Damm, the Director of Community Relations, will be able to recommend communities that are within your budget if you contact her in the Welcome Center. The community is slated to open May 2014.

The Bristal Assisted Living offers incomparable care, the finest luxury amenities, a packed activity calendar and so much more. Call today to schedule your visit.