Heartland Healthcare Center - Austin, TX

Concerned for my Grandmother's safety

My wife and I showed up today to find my grandmother lying on the floor, where she had been for over an hour. When we knocked on the door she was screaming, "Help! Help! Please come in!" Though obviously not loud enough to alert anyone down the hall, loud enough so that we could clearly hear her from the hall.

Upon further investigation we found that she had been lying there for over an hour. The nurse that my wife first found (Rose) was very quick to try to assess the situation. My wife then alerted a second person who said they needed to call for "Debbie". After 5 minutes had passed and nobody else had shown up, my wife went back out into the hall to find yet another aimless staff who inquired if she needed any help (she was running frantically). Debbie finally showed up several minutes later.

Both ladies were polite but acted as if this had happened (and likely has) a thousand times.

Upon asking why she had been lying helplessly on the floor so long, un-assisted, Debbie informed me that as they were an "assisted-care" facility, the occupants are expected to be able to call for help. Well, she was. But apparently she needed an air horn. I'm unsure and gravely concerned of what would have happened had she hit her head on the way down. She would not have been found for an unknown time and been unable to walk over to the phone and call 911 herself.

The facility knows, or should know, the general conditions of all patients and how frequently to check in on them. I can call this nothing less than negligent. If my grandmother is up to it, I will be pursuing the opportunity to move her to a more-capable facility.

Nice place, overall

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. We've actually had experience with this community in the past as well with another loved one. It is a clean, well kept facility, and the staff are all friendly and helpful for the most part. The price is very fair for the level of care that they provide. They do not have much in the way of activities, however.