Brookdale Spicewood Springs - Austin, TX

Brookdale Spicewood Springs - Austin, TX has yet not published prices.

Brookdale Spicewood Springs/Austin Very Disappointing

Brookdale Spicewood Springs under the Brookdale umbrella is disappointing. While I cannot say anything bad about the staff’s integrity and character, there has been a marked decline in quality management under the Brookdale umbrella. Good staff, just not enough of them. Call light response times border on complete abandonment with wait times as much as 50 minutes and some residents claiming no response at all. With possible head injuries this is concerning. Often EMS can gain access to a resident’s room quicker than Brookdale Staff, yet private medical alert systems are prohibited within the facility. After a 13 year residency, it is not in the best interest of our loved one to move. Many calls to staff regarding concerns have been met with placating instead of resolve. Detailed documentation regarding these calls, including staff responses, is available. People considering Brookdale Spicewood Springs should press staff for a written commitment regarding call light response times.

Further, families considering any Brookdale facility should also press for details regarding frequency and amounts of rent increases. Our invoice amount for 1-01-15 care was $4,031; for 5-17-16 was $5,169; and currently is $5,458. Brookdale runs their facilities like a typical corporate environment—low overhead, more revenue. This is having a noticeable unfavorable impact on resident care.

Unfortunately we’ve moved into an era where vigilance is necessary in eldercare facilities.

Mom's Care

This is a nice community for care.
The staff is very responsive and caring. The community offers a good environment. The menu is good and my mom likes the variety. She likes most of the activities that are offered. We like the care that she is receiving here and would recommend this community to other families for good care and a nice value

Overall Satisfied with Our Love One Respite Stay

My father in law was at this community for a respite stay. For the most part everything went well. His only concern was the furniture, he is tall, and some the furniture was small for him. Other that issue, he is had a good experience. He was pleased with food, and enjoyed the resources provided. If needed he would return for another respite stay. It is a nice community, and I would recommend as well.

Great option for loved one!

The community at Brookdale Spicewood Springs was our second choice. The community is nicely kept throughout. It was very nice and clean. The staff were very friendly and took the time to address all of our concerns. They were courteous and welcoming. The location was a bit further than what we wanted for our loved one.

The Community Is Doing A Good Job

My dad is receiving assistance from a good community, I am happy with the care. The caregivers are nice to speak with and they answer all my questions. The facility is clean for the resident and guests who visit. I am disappointed with the meals that are served. My dad thinks the food is bland and we have asked for improvements.

Facility Needs Staffing and Cleanliness Issues Addressed

My mother was here for a couple of weeks for skilled nursing care after breaking a hip. I found 95% of the staff to be indifferent and somewhat unfriendly. The OT/PT providers were nice, yet not sure if they're just contracted by the facility.

The dining area is too small and hard to navigate, especially for folks in a wheelchair.

I was told the facility would launder my mother's clothes. After more than a week, I just took them home to clean. The trash was rarely taken out, floors were filthy in her room.

Hugely disappointing

I was here for skilled nursing after an accident. The nurses range from excellent to just plain scary. This is a terrible place for skilled nursing, I was surrounded by people so lost in Alzheimer's that they couldn't carry on a conversation. If you are here for an extended time, it is easy to get depressed because you feel so isolated.

It's clear that all activities are geared toward the long term residents. The food has delicious sounding names (sounds like something from a nice restaurant), but when it arrives it's just cafeteria-style food.

it often took 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours for my medication to arrive. If you are waiting for pain medication this wait was excruciating.

If you have a family member here, don't just come by on the weekend. Come on different weekday evenings, or even during the weekday days. That's when you see what's really going on.

The physical therapy was reasonably good, but only once a day. It wasn't nearly enough for my needs, I had to really work hard to catch up when I got home. They care, but there's just not enough PT people to offer the time you will need.

I'm actually in therapy due to the actions of one nurse. If your loved one is "difficult", they will be treated with less compassion. I'd look somewhere else for better care.

Service

I think it was Carla or Carley that gave us the tour. You can tell she really cared and was passionate about this place here in Austin. She made our experience great the whole time every step.

medication delivery seems unpredictable

Brookdale Spicewood Springs is going good. The only complaint I have is the medication delivery seems unpredictable. The staff is very nice and very helpful. They have a really good menu selection. Overall it has been a good experience.

pretty good job

I would like to see the staff clean moms bathroom more often here at Brookdale Spicewood Springs. I am beginning to learn that what my mom says and what the staff says is sometimes different. They are doing a pretty good job there but mom is so particular. Mom is coming from 24 hour care and doesn't get that as much here. So wait time for her is a little long but she can be very difficult. I told my sister that part of the job of the staff should be educating and communicating with the friends and family not just the residents. They need to train us on what to expect.

Depressing, smelled bad, and out of date.

Had to wait approx. 20 minutes for Carla to meet with me; otherwise, very helpful and nice. Lobby and community areas are attractive. The rooms are a good standard. The rates are higher than what "A Place for Mom" told me.

Very nice community

We've had an excellent experience with Emeritus at Spicewood Springs! It's a very nice looking, clean, and well kept facility. The staff are all very friendly, and they are very responsive to any questions or requests from the families or from the residents!

Carla did a great job showi...

Carla did a great job showing me around - their rooms are small and above Mom's price range. I liked the fact that it is assisted living and skilled nursing all in one place and that you can go in as independent llving as well. Good options, just not for my mom.

Great Skilled Nusing

My mom was in the skilled nursing part of Spicewood Springs. They did have assisted living available, but we decided to move her to a community much closer once she was out of rehab. We observed that there was a wide array of activities, although my mom couldn't participate. The staff was really good, especially in skilled nursing. She was there for her broken hip, and she made a nice recovery.

Liked this one.

Liked this one.

The staff was helpful, and I was plea...

The staff was helpful, and I was pleased with the cleanliness of the facility.

Brookdale at Spicewood Springs provides assisted living in an apartment-style setting that offers the simple pleasures - nutritious food, comfortable surroundings, and the support of a warm, caring and competent staff. Our Skilled Nursing Center emphasizes resident care and dignity in private or shared accommodations. We offer a variety of nursing care and support services including 24-hour skilled nursing care, post hospital and post surgical care, restorative care, coordination of physician and pharmacy services and family counseling. A Short Stay Program for seniors who need short-term care is also available. It is the ideal alternative for recuperating after a hospital stay, while family caregivers are on vacation or if you just want to try out assisted living. Please call for more information or to schedule a visit to find out how Brookdale at Spicewood Springs can enrich your life or the life of a loved one.