Georgetown Living - Georgetown, TX

Georgetown Living - a caring place

My wife has been a resident at Georgetown Living since June of 2017. I am most pleased with the choice I made. The small, intimate environment provides an atmosphere which is welcoming and home-like. I am gratified for and I praise the staff who care for her. They are well trained, have sincere empathy for the residents, and do all they can to serve them and respond to their needs. And there is little turn over: the staff that were there when she came are by and large the staff that are there now. This is very important to the quality of care given. The ambiance of the place is welcoming - it is clean, bright, and well maintained, and it is located on a large property well away from traffic and the hustle and bustle of the city. Georgetown Living is truly an environment in which caring for the residents is the top priority.

Definitely Recommended

We have just been so pleased with Georgetown Living; with the staff, just everything. The staff is so friendly and accommodating, the RN that worked with us was so helpful. She answered all of our questions, and spent a lot of time with us. I love that the place is so open. When you walk in, you can essentially see straight back into the community because the line of sight is so good there. This way, the residents are always visible and able to be supervised. The food there seems good and it’s very well individualized to suit people’s needs. They also celebrate all the residents’ birthdays, decorating the dining room, and having cake and ice cream. They also have activities there like coloring, games, and crafts. Even those who can’t participate are brought out to be a part of the group. We have been so pleased with Georgetown, and we’d definitely recommend it.

Depressing Atmosphere!!

I had recently taken a tour of this community and I was not very pleased with this place. It was a very depressing atmosphere and I was not impressed by all means. They had dark hallways and it felt like a ghost town. After I got that feeling for my first impression I had realized that this was not the place for my loved one and I had seen enough.

Mobility Issues

I really liked this property. The staff was friendly and helpful .The atmosphere seemed good, not dark and gloomy like other places. However, when I was taking the tour I did notice that my dad who is in a wheelchair would have some trouble getting around. It would have been difficult for him to navigate around some of the furniture that was in some areas. It would have been perfect had he used a walker.

The Right Place for Mom

There's a lot of stress for anyone looking to place a loved one when it's needed. Georgetown Living proved to us that not only do they provide excellent loving care to each resident, but also to the family. One of their goals is that the caregivers stress is lowered. If not, they want to help and they are available any time you walk in or call, with their full attention on you, your loved one and your question or concern. Every single staff member exemplifies this.
We initially used their home care/respite services. I can't say enough about how helpful and caring Eric is during this process. And i was happy with the services provided by the caregiver. When we moved Mom into Georgetown Living full time, we were concerned about her being engaged enough. They knew just how much to guide her into activities, and when to let her just watch TV in her room.
When Mom had health problems i would immediately get a call from either Marcella or Jane. They both are very hands on with each resident and know fully what is going on. And they manage the staff there very efficiently. I had several caregivers tell me they really loved their job, and looked forward to coming in. Some felt like they just came in to stay with their many grandmothers each shift! Their love and respect is evident.
The residence is always very clean, homemade meals are very good. If we wanted something specific for Mom - a drink during the day or cereal in the mornings, they'll work to make it happen. Maintenance is fast and helpful when any changes need to be made to Mom's room hanging pictures or moving furniture, or specific cleaning.
At the end of Mom's life, hospice guided us through her last week right there in her bed and home. the love and concern shown was so heartwarming. Caregivers would come in when not on duty just to check on her, give her love. Everyone was respectful, kept her very clean, warm and comfortable.
Char leads this group of people extremely well. His management style works. I attended his monthly support group where he and other caregivers share trials, tribulations, heartache and just living. My entire family was very happy with GTL. It was the right place for Mom.

A Professional Empathetic Caregiver and Family Partner

I can't say enough in praise for the extraordinary, caring, most human people of Georgetown Living who cared for my mother in the last six months of her life. When even the most exceptional efforts of my selfless sister could no longer accommodate the demands of our mother's advancing Alzheimer's condition, the staff at Georgetown Living expertly, humanely assumed her total care responsibilities, smoothly transitioning her to their facility.

The Georgetown team was equally effective in administering to the needs of our family, providing comfort, education, constant insights and updates on our mother's condition. We felt like true partners and collaborators in our mother's care. With our unobstructed access to our mother, and the Georgetown living staff, we could observe them in action, not only around our mother but other residents, in their daily routines, good episodes and bad. Their commitment to our Mother's wellbeing, her comfort, and peace was evident in every action. Their emotional, and empathetic manner, coupled with their professionalism as part of a Certified Alzheimers facility, reflects the total trust our family has placed in them for our mother's care.

A wonderful place with a wonderful staff

I dreaded the thought of our mother staying in an assisted living facility, but we could just no longer provide the care that she needed. After a thorough search in the central TX area we decided that Georgetown Living was our best bet.
We were very pleased with the facility. The floor plan encourages interaction with the residents, the food was good, it is secure, it looks and smells clean and it is comfortably furnished.
The thing that sets GT apart though is the staff. My family was humbled at the attention and care that our Mother received while she was a resident there. There was ample interaction with staff, and lots of activities. Whenever a family member had a question or concern, we had their undivided attention and it was obvious that they all truly cared for the residents.
As my mothers dementia and alzheimers progressed, they were very helpful in answering our questions and are uniquely equipped in dealing with it all. It's just a top notch facility which gave us peace of mind and gave our Mother good quality of life.

Right Place

As it is for anyone of you reading this review, It was quite stressful to make that decision to move Mom to a place where she could get the care she needed, more than I was able to give her at home. After checking out several in the area, we chose GTL based on their staff, the living arrangement and their concepts for alzheimer/dementia care. Each person I came in contact with seemed to really care for each resident and I was impressed upfront with the management and what I saw in several visits both scheduled and pop-in. It is ALWAYS VERY clean, residents are calm, caregivers engaged.
We initially hired GTL for home respite care - a caregiver came to my home so i could get out a couple times a week. Several months later, when Mom moved in, we were concerned that she would be engaged enough. Although she would be coaxed sometimes, she would enjoy activities and getting outside. being able to walk out of her room and be in the common areas was pivotal. no confusion, always activity just a step away. Alternatively, she has a TV in her room and could watch there in quiet as she was more used to also. I can call in the evening and ask them to change the channel to a specific program. They're happy to do so! Food is home cooked, and if we want Mom to have something specific on a regular basis, the staff is helpful in working that out. Every time i speak to someone there, ask a caregiver a question, or make a call - I have their immediate and full attention. Although they have a houseful of residents, if I have a concern they never once falter or make me feel like I needed to wait till something else was taken care of. HOW DO THEY DO THAT!!??? It's impressive. Not only is caring for Mom their primary concern, but relieving my stress level is also an important goal.
I've come to learn that caregiving for these young ladies and gentlemen is really their pleasure. Several told me that they wanted to come to work - they felt like they had so many grandma's!
I wouldn't hesitate to hire again for home respite care or place my loved one here at Georgetown Living. These people - founder, caregivers, cooks, maintenance and directors - work with love, respect and dignity. It was the right place for Mom.

Consistently High Quality Care

The decision to place your family member in a facility is difficult and emotional. I have had my parents in 3 different facilities and each move has been stressful for them and for me. There is an expectation that the staff will love and care for your family member just as you would, but that is not always the case. With the move to Georgetown Living, I have found my stress level has dramatically decreased. The staff is very caring and kind. The layout of the facility, the size, the use of monitoring equipment and the vigilance of the staff has greatly improved my father's safety. Prior to this move we were paying additional staff to be with him 24/7 due to his propensity for falling and the inability of the previous facility staff to monitor him or provide him his medications in a timely and consistent manner. It was draining their retirement and high stress for everyone involved. When I made the move to Georgetown Living and the elimination of the 24/7 additional help I had feared that he would be falling all of the time, but in fact, it is rare that he falls. He is getting his medications on a regular, regimented schedule that has also made a difference in his quality of life. Care of individuals with Parkinson's Disease and Dementia requires attention to detail when it comes to medications/care and I have found that Georgetown Living takes their job seriously.

Equally important in my opinion, is the kindness and caring that the staff provides to every patient. I am there almost daily and see the interactions between the caregivers and patients. They are gentle, sweet and genuinely caring in their interactions even during stressful times. I greatly appreciate that I can visit my father as his daughter and not feel like I am a fixture in the directors office with complaints or concerns. In the months that we have been there, I have come to trust the staff and know that they truly care that each patient has the best quality of life possible. I would highly recommend Georgetown Living.

small community

I really like that Georgetown Living is a small community. I don't have much to compare it to but it really seems like they care here. My overall experience has be really good.

Char Hu

Thank you for your kind review. Our focus is on supremely personalized care, which allows us to do so many great things with our residents. Thank you for the trust that you have placed in our community.

Best of the Best

My mother was a resident of Georgetown Living for almost 5 years. She received the most loving and competent care imaginable. Most people with dementia/Alzheimer's live about 2 years in a facility - Mom made more than twice the average! The staff is a family and the residents are family as well. Everyone cares for each other openly. As she deteriorated, staff ensured that I was up to date on everything and made helpful suggestions for her comfort and happiness. The caregivers were constantly doing little things to help Mom stay healthy - coaxing her to eat and drink, getting her feet elevated, moving her from wheelchair to recliner. They helped me set up hospice care (twice!) and were caring and compassionate through end of life. During the last 36 hours, there was a steady stream of staff and caregivers coming in to check on Mom and saying goodbye to her with tears and kisses. Who could ask for more? If I ever need long term care, I want to go to Georgetown Living too!

Char Hu

Thank you for your kind review. Your mother was one of our most beloved residents and we are truly honored to have been allowed to care for her for ~5 years. Her presence is still missed by us.

we loved Margo, and thought it was great.

We would have loved to move her here, but the odor was just too much for us. It appeared to be clean, but there was a smell. Everyone was really friendly, and we loved Margo, and thought it was great. They do a home service for care as well, with the workers that work in the facility, so they are all trained and know what to do. They are very responsive and encouraging, and even though the facility wasn't right for us, we may still end up using the home care.

Char Hu

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome all comments as it gives the opportunity to continue to improve.

Regarding smells, we are truly sorry that you noticed an odor. We are extremely proud of the way in which we carefully monitor our environment (temperature, smells and lighting). Since we have opted for carpet in our bedrooms (this creates a more homey feeling) there are times following an accident where there will be a noticeable odor. This should only occur right outside of that particular room.

Unfortunately, on your particular tour such an issue had just happened. It's one of those things that happen in long-term care. We have our own process of cleaning these up: special enzymes designed to breakdown biological waste, commercial carpet steamer equipped with specialized chemicals, and aerosol disinfectant. This highly effective process does take some time to work, so the odor will remain centralized.

All of our management team have profound sense of smell and pay very close attention to how everything is cleaned. We encourage you to visit us again to see the proof! Thank you for your complimentary comments on the rest of the community and our staff.

Best facility within a 30-mile radius of Austin

I would recommend this place over and over. My dad had many special needs that they were willing to accommodate that other places would not. They were very patient, kind, compassionate and professional. The facility is just beautiful sitting on acres of countryside. My dad could not have been at a better place.

Char Hu

Thank you for your gracious comments! We take great pride and honor in being able to care for your father.

Roughly, 25% of the caregivers of our residents come from outside the Georgetown area. We've even had some who were outside the country for 9+ months! We are big believers in delivering exceptional peace of mind so that family caregivers are able to visit as often, or not, as their own personal care plan allows for.

I've been real pleased so far.

I've been real pleased so far. The staff is very friendly, and it's kept very clean. They are all too expensive, but this was very comparable to everywhere else. They are very attentive and responsive. They do have activities, but I have only seen a few going on. I don't really have anything that I would like to see improved or done better. We chose them based on the location, and the reputation in their reviews.

Char Hu

Thank you for your review. We realize our costs initially seem quite high, but when you compare this to 24/7 in-home care it is actually represents a cost savings of roughly 50-70% depending on your service (24/7 care can run as high as $17,000/month).

Assisted living prices are highly regional specific and we strongly attempt to keep our rates in the middle of the pack of others in our region. We do this even though we provide more services (in-house nursing, physical/occupational/speech therapy, etc) and offer more amenities (ranch pet therapy, sit & fit instruction, 15-acres of wandering, etc) than any other community in Georgetown. This is because it is the goal of my family to provide exceptional care at relatively attainable prices.

Ideal Memory Care Community

Beautiful community - well maintained and very clean. Thoughtfully designed to accommodate the comfort, entertainment, and safety of memory-care residents.

Friendly, diligent staff. Plenty of daily activities.

Real Caring Staff

We really liked Georgetown Living a lot. They just seemed to have a real caring interest in Alzheimer's type customers but they didn't have the outdoor walkways and were important to my husband.

Char Hu

Thank you for the review!

To clarify, we do not have outdoor walkways that a resident can access *unsupervised*. This is key. We have quite a few outdoor walkways: 0.1 mile walkway on our 15 acres of land and an infinity path for outdoor wandering. However, for safety reasons all residents will be accompanied along these paths. We do this in two ways: either prompted by the resident (they ask), or we intentionally schedule outdoor walking time for our residents several times a day.

Amazing Transformation

Everything is going well with my Dad at Georgetown Living. Despite all of the obstacles there were in placing my Dad, Georgetown Living has lived up to and exceeded our expectations. They were able to delete a medication and add one that has changed my Dad's behavior issues for the positive. They have been able to more closely monitor and successfully manage his Type I diabetes. All of these positive changes have given my mother so much peace of mind.

Dad is interacting with staff and residents and actually participating in activities for the first time since being placed in a facility over a year ago. His anger, agitation and paranoia have diminished significantly. He is even interacting with me in a positive way instead of seeing me (only child-daughter) as the culprit in placing him out of their home.

The facility is beautiful, bright and cheerful. The setting is small and serene amidst the countryside with lots of wildlife around.

Char Hu

Thank you for the kind words. We feel very honored to be charged with caring for your father.

Proper medication balance is a huge component to a holistic approach to Alzheimer's/dementia care. You have to be quite diligent when altering medications. A strong partnership with the primary medical team is also needed; we report all the metrics we observe when we do any medication change.

Diabetic management also is a delicate matter. We predominately do it through very carefully controlling a diabetic's diet. Your father has hugely benefited from somebody very closely watching his carbohydrate count, while still allowing him to have his sweets.

Spot On

Wonderful! Over the past 3 years I have learned that a lot of facilities are all sizzle and no steak as they say in Texas. They promise the world and deliver little. If Georgetown Living delivers even 80% of what we've seen they are top notch! The staff takes care of everything and I am in awe of their patience and pleasant demeanor. My mother-in-law's condition and demeanor improved immediately. The staff has the attitude that we shouldn't worry about anything...everything is under control and they can do it. On our first visit after my MIL moved in, we observed a warm environment with caring folks ensuring that she was engaged with other people and the visiting dog. In the 3 years we've been working with my 95 year-old MIL this is the third move. We've learned that the cost is not necessarily better the more you pay. While the care is expensive it is a better value than many other facilities and they don't nickel and dime the family.

Beautiful facilities. . . .

Beautiful facilities. . . .

Spoke to the Assistant Director on ph...

Spoke to the Assistant Director on phone. 15 beds, certified Alz. No vacancies for semi-private. New building opening in Nov will be private rms only. End of life care. $4,800/private $4,000/semi (level 1) $1,000 refundable dep. $1,500 entrance fee.

Char Hu

Thank you for your review.

Our prices have changed so be sure to contact us for the most recent prices! We do not have an entrance fee, but do collect a reservation fee as we typically have a waitlist.

We are experts in dementia care; caring for those with Alzheimer’s Disease truly is our passion. Our family conceived of a community that tirelessly catered to every aspect of Alzheimer’s care. We started with a revolutionary design of our facility; one quite literally built from the ground up for those with dementia. Then we added in the best caregiving staffing ratio around and equipped them with extensive training as it relates to assisted living and Alzheimer’s care.

Our executive team is comprised of previous research scientists and long-term care specialist. We have devoted our lives to long-term care and are heavily involved in the community. Our team hope to guide policy and care decisions through leadership roles in our local Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. Additionally, we have been selected to be members of task forces put together by the Mayor of Austin and the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (the governing body of the long-term care industry). We take great pride in being the most educated and active professionals in our entire region.

We know that depression can be the single largest cause of a reduced quality of life for those with Alzheimer’s Disease. Therefore, every detail of Georgetown Living is intended to reduce the mental stress caused by the disease. Whether they come from private homes or other facilities, it is our goal to ensure they not only improve but also thrive with us. This includes proper medication management, well-balanced expertly prepared meals (including our desserts!), and constant social interaction. Our residents come from the Austin-area, and occasionally from out of state. They find that the best care is worth a bit extra driving. The result of our efforts is a distinctive home, peerless in a sea of “facilities”.