Brookdale Sandy Springs - Atlanta, GA

Mom loves it at Brookdale Sandy Springs!!!

The staff at this community are very friendly and interact well with my mom and the family. The food is good and there is a good variety of choices. Mom likes to participate in bingo, movie night and go on some of the outings offered. The community is clean inside and out. I would recommend this community to family and friends.

Terrible - Do Not Move Your Loved One to a Brookdale Facility

Do not move your loved one here! My mom has been in this facility since 5/15 and all of the services promised, have fallen short (and that is an understatement).
Food is terrible and un-edible in most cases. Laundry services are terrible (clothes lost, over-dryed/ruined, under staffed). Housekeeping not provided as Brookdale promised all of the families and residents here on a consistent basis. Staff turnover is constant. Meds/nursing dis-organized.
Management has been made aware of these and multiple other issues (all the way up to the SE Regional VP), but Brookdale Corporate still can not get a plan together to solve all of these issues. Their standard response, 'it's not acceptable and we're aware of the problems and addressing same'.
For current families who have a loved one in a Brookdale facility with similar issues here is the Brookdale Corporate Hotline Compliance number: [Removed]; please call and issue a report. We are moving my mom just as soon as I find another facility. Unfortunately for the other residents, they do not have the money to move anywhere and their rent keeps going up and up. However, Brookdale is not issuing any credits for ALL of the services they are NOT providing to these seniors at this facility.
Steer clear of any Brookdale facility. They are growing fast as a corporation, but can not keep up with staffing the facilities appropriately and provide the services WE are all paying for!

Great place for Dad

After looking at many other residences that can care for my father who has Alzheimer's, we made the decision to go with Brookdale Sandy Springs. The staff is always friendly and everyone seems to go out of their way to accommodate those who live there as well as their families. We feel like Brookdale has been a good fit for our family as well as our budget.

Nice place, overall

We are very pleased with how things have turned out at Brookdale Sandy Springs. The facility itself is clean and well kept, and the staff seems friendly and professional. My loved one is happy, well fed, and safe! I also appreciate that the care staff don't try to over-do things, they haven't been pushing any medication or additional care services on us.

Found the perfect place

My mother moved from an independent living residence to Brookdale at Sandy Springs, which is assisted care and is adjacent to a memory care residence. We knew that moving her would be difficult at first, but we are so glad we did. When this residence was first suggested to us, I thought it was too far away, but it was only an extra five minutes, the traffic is not at all like I thought it would be. The moment I walked in, I knew this would be a good place for mom. The people at Brookdale always have something to share about how my mom is doing, what she is doing during the day, who she visits with. It's quite apparent that they are watching and discussing the residents among themselves, which is such a good thing for my mom and for us since we can't be there 24/7. The resident assistants understand how to politely insist that she get up and get dressed in the morning; she doesn't stay in bed all day any more. Her residence has been without an activities director recently, but I'm sure that will be corrected soon. By the way, the food here is very good too. I always enjoy eating lunch with my mom when I visit. There are so many choices.

Nice looking place

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. We ended up selecting another Brookdale community due to the location being more convenient.

Caring/Well Run/Nice Amenities/Easy to Work With

Staff very good/easy to work with and maintenance folks are superior! Care givers very friendly. Facility well run. Excellent dining room (open 13 hours per day) so not restricted to certain meal times daily.
Be sure to check out monthly move in incentives as those are run monthly. Had a billing glitch but they resolved it within 4 hours. I would definitely give this community a 4.5.

Please avoid this facility if you can. My father-in-law was placed here by my mother-in-law and has passed away since. On more than one occasion while picking him up we found there was no medication, unsanitary conditions in the room, and since he was incontinent we found caked on feces that took us a while to get cleaned off. When we asked about his sugar levels because of his diabetes we were told that according to his file he is not diabetic so we do not check. Although there is some nice staff, complaints to management in regard to the above mentioned are
ignored. There is a reason why there are cheap.

great care

My husband is the one staying at Emeritus at Sandy Springs. He is very uncomfortable with having women give him showers. I feel that they should have men on site that would be willing to help out in that area.

Other than that it has been a very positive experience. I am happy that my husband is at Emeritus at Sandy Springs as it is a great place and they take really good care of him.

good place, didn't work

They have really good activities at Emeritus at Sandy Springs, and it is a very clean and comfortable place for the residents.

Our experience, however, was twofold. Some of my father in laws needs were not met based on his level of care. It turned out not to be a suitable fit for a number of reasons.

The facility is very nice and the staff seems nice as well. Right after my love one moved in, the director and nurse resigned which did make me uneasy. They do have a temporary nurse until they find a permanent replacement, and are working on getting a new Director. There have been a few times where I have visited and my love one didn't have there dentures in nor shaved. When I pointed out the problem they apologized and took care of everything. I have spoken to other families about the care of their love ones and they seem very pleased with the care and the staff. I have observed the other people living there they do seem happy. I am hoping that the few times that haven't been right are the exception and not the norm.

Very nice staff, but we are having a few issues

We've had somewhat of a mixed experience at Emeritus at Sandy Springs. The director and head nurse left and were replaced a week after I signed the paperwork, which I found a bit disconcerting,, and since then we've noticed quite a few issues with care tasks being overlooked. When we go in to visit more than once we've found him halfway through the day with his dentures not in, or asleep at a table in his PJs. At one point we came to visit and found Dad was wet, and I had trouble locating a staff member to help us change him. He also seems to be going through his diapers much faster than he did at home, and I am not sure if this is because they are not taking him to the bathroom often enough. All that being said, the staff here are very very nice, and they seem to really care for the people who live here. I am hoping this is just a short period of turmoil while the new management moves in.

Brookdale Senior Living

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please be assured the well-being of our residents is our top priority. We have received many compliments about the new management from the families of our residents, and we hope you have also noticed improvements. Should you have any concerns still, we would be happy to speak with you personally at [removed].

Clean, nice looking community

Generally things have gone well at Emeritus at Sandy Springs. It's a very clean nice looking place, and the staff all seem friendly and caring. Unfortunately the levels of care they offer aren't a great fit for my loved one. She needs to be in the memory care unit, but she is much higher functioning than most of the other residents, so it is difficult for her socially. They also do not allow locked doors in the memory care unit so she often has people wandering into her room, so I wish they could manage that a little better somehow.

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover

These people put on a good act initially, but the bottom line is money.They really do not seem to be genuinely concerned with their residents when it gets right down to it.We had a bad experience.

the facilities were nice, n...

the facilities were nice, not sure that it is the right place for my in-laws

Too soon to Tell

Too soon to tell. But we feel this is an above average home and the best value that we found.

Kara was very nice and accommodating.

Mom is a very new arrival so we can't judge too much yet.

We also like the location.

Nice place, overall

For the most part things have gone well at Emeritus at Sandy Springs. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the residents here are all very friendly and welcoming. The aides, med techs, and dining staff are all fabulous as well, and do a great job working with the residents.

Mom's very happy with everything but the food.

Recently downsized mom from her 3 bedroom condo to a one bedroom apartment at Emeritus of Sandy Springs and in less than a month, mom really enjoys it.

Her main complaint is the food options. She enjoys having someone cook her three meals a day but she really dislikes the food. Emeritus is undergoing some big changes and the dining room has some big changes coming so I really hope mom likes the new options.

They were really awful.

They changed management like four times. They lost his billfold with all his identification no explanation, no attempt to help us find it. They were really awful. I’m so glad we found the new place that he’s at. It’s much better.

Sam Pollock

We are sorry to hear your loved one’s time with us at Sandy Springs did not meet your expectations. Our records show no incident report was filed, nor do we have any grievances logged regarding your loved one’s wallet. According to our concierge, however, another resident found a shredded wallet in one of the washing machines, and brought it to the front desk in a plastic bag along with all of the damaged contents. Our concierge placed the bag under the desk for safekeeping, but then had to step away for a moment, and when they returned, the bag was then gone. Our community policy is to place any items of value found in a locked room or cabinet, but if it is anticipated that the item will be returned within 15 minutes, it is kept at the front desk. We now require all found items to be locked up until they can be returned to the resident, instead of being left at the front desk. If you have any further concerns about your loved one’s time with us, we invite you to contact our Ethics First Program at www.emeritus.com/ethics.

There have been constant maintenance problems since moving in.

There have been constant maintenance problems since moving in. It takes a long time to get anything addressed and fixed, then as soon as you do something else needs attention. They seem to show their frustration too, making mom feel bad. They don't seem to be able to manage her pain very well, she has a medication schedule but they are never on time, sometimes they are a couple of hours late. They charge 350$ for a trip appointments. The nurse is really nice when you are filling out papers, but now it's hard to get in touch with her. Everything is kind of surface clean, if you look under the bed there is a lot of stuff under there. They are so sweet when you are looking into the community that I am disappointed in the actual experience.

Sam Pollock

We’re sorry our community isn’t meeting you and your loved one’s expectations. We work diligently to provide our residents with the highest quality care; however, when a resident or family member feels as though we have not followed through with our promise, we invite them to speak directly to our community management team. If you have not already done so, please contact our community management to speak to them about your concerns as they are our best problem solving resources within the community. Additionally, regarding the fee for trip appointments, as per the lease agreement, our rate is $15 per hour, with a 2 hour minimum trip.

Staff was great

Moved Dad into the memory care unit at Emeritus. The whole staff was great and really made the move in better than we could ever had expected.
Lora Causey from Emeritus was wonderful and she made Dad really feel at home.

I am extremely happy with Emeritus at Sandy Springs.

I am extremely happy with Emeritus at Sandy Springs. Our loved one has actually improved, and I am very happy with the nursing and medical staff. The director Nikki is wonderful, everyone on staff is wonderful. We are very happy.

Once the renovations are co...

Once the renovations are complete it will be a lot nicer. The place is dark, rooms are very small without private showers and food left a lot to be desired. It did not make the final cut.

a bad experience

My mother in law stayed at Emeritus Sandy Springs for a week of respite care at the end of May. During that time, her shower was broken and never fixed, her sheets were not laundered, and she had $40.00 stolen. It was a shame, because I had quite a different impression from visiting the place. I was hoping that this would be a place she could move to, but not after this experience. I would not recommend Emeritus Sandy Springs.

Nice Courtyard

Emeritus is a nice quiet community that offer plenty of tranquility. I enjoy sitting in the courtyard enjoying the sunshine and a cool breeze.

living at an Brookdale Senior Living community.

delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.