Desert Hills Memory Care Center - Hemet, CA

no title

I find it is a great place for my wife.I guess the price is o k but expensive but better than most.

Care for a friend

We poured this nice community for good care for the friend. The staff was very helpfully in all ways. The community was clean and we were happy with everything here.We would suggest other families tour this community

Do not send your loved one here!

All about the money. Simply a glorified babysitting facility for your loved one. No Alzheimers Disease verified philosophy. Loving but ignorant how to best encourage and support retaining any cognitive growth or maintenance. 3 thumbs down. :(

Desert Hills Memory Facility

Desert Hills staff told my family that they specialized in handling difficult behaviors, which can often accompany dementia. My dad, after being at Desert Hills for five days and presenting difficult behaviors, was hospitalized for psychosis stabilization at their recommendation. We understood and supported this decision. The staff said they had done this with patients before (we had NO prior experience with this type of situation), but screwed up his placement by not working out key details AHEAD OF TIME. My dad ended up in a local, poorly run hospital for two weeks before he returned to Desert Hills. The professionalism of some lead staff members is seriously lacking. A few months after the hospitalization, my dad was within a few days of passing and the Activities Director kept pushing a service on us that we (politely) declined. The Executive Director minimalized our concerns and brushed us off several times. Not the professionalism you would expect from a facility that prides themselves on being Alz Foundation approved. On the flip side, the caregivers, housekeepers, and nurses were amazing to my dad and to us, but like a previous reviewer said, there aren't enough of them to bathe, toilet, feed, clean, and keep the residents stimulated appropriately. At $4,500 + per month, the residents deserve more and I urge management to make a change.

Desert Hills Review

I have a family member with dementia who has been living at Desert Hills Memory Care Facility for three months as of this review. This review is based upon my observations and interactions with staff and residents, and is more of a reflection of the ownership/administration than the quality of the direct services provided.

The heart and soul of this facility truly are the caregivers and the nurses (LVNs). The nurses monitor health conditions and administer medications. The caregivers do everything else: clothe, bathe, groom, feed, toilet, monitor, comfort, redirect, lift, and provide activities for the residents. Sometimes the nurses gladly help the caregivers out. I have witnessed the caregivers and nurses having nothing but love, respect, compassion, and patience for the residents.

On the flip side, remember, this is a for-profit entity; the facility is largely understaffed. There are not enough caregivers to do all that they must do to keep the residents clean, nourished, hydrated, and safe as well as they should be (and for the high cost being paid). There are not enough custodial workers (or hours provided to them) to keep the facility as clean as it should be. These are ownership/administration issues that really should be looked at for improvement, and as well should be considered when someone is thinking of placing their loved one at Desert Hills.

I would not recommend desert hills fo...

I would not recommend desert hills for anybody. From my first hand experience overall it is not a great place. I have seen people being left in wet briefs throughout the day. I have noticed that a lot of the day staff does not give their attention to the residents and ignored them when yelling for help. I was disturbed to see that residents seemed to be treated roughly at times and that workers didn't not spend time one on one with people during activity hours. The activity director does not lead her activities and leaves her work to the caregivers. The caregivers do not seem like happy employees and do seem as if they are treated well by the management.

It's an excellent facility.

It's an excellent facility. I think they are very very business like and appropriate, and they handle things very well. The people seem very happy there and everybody takes their medication. They are located in a really out of the way place so that is the only thing that I would mark them down for. The price is fair I think. They have good security here, and that is something I appreciate.

My father was at this facility for al...

My father was at this facility for almost two years. He was wheelchair bound, and had no use of his legs. Caregivers dropped him several times (propped on toilet vs. diaper change in bed) and then wanted to administer morphine when he was in severe pain. Caregivers would eat at the same time they were supposed to be feeding the residents -- the residents would basically watch the caregivers eat, and not get fed themselves. I visited my dad weekly, sometimes more. ALL seating was saturated with urine. One visit, caregivers left a resident in the bathroom for 40 minutes alone. We kept telling the caregivers the lady was calling for help from the bathroom, but she was ignored. (Also a wheelchair-bound person.) When my family and I would show up on weekends, the caregivers would "disappear" and could not be located. Caregivers would help themselves to the diapers and supplies of the Hospice patients (my dad) and never got in trouble for their complete neglect of the residents. Many, many more complaints...after speaking with Administrator several times regarding our concerns, no action was EVER taken by staff. Caregivers were too young, not paid well, lazy, incompetent, and unqualified for the position.

Visited on 1/3/2014- Very i...

Visited on 1/3/2014- Very impressed with facility and Jane Farmer. A definite possibility when the time comes to commit. Possibly an evaluation by them would be in order.

Seemed like a compassionate, understanding place

I was one of two people that was looking for a place for my friend. I went there, met with Jane, who took me around for two hours; she communicated intensively with me, so from that perspective, they were fabulous. From that time on, since she's been there, I've only communicated with her niece so I don't know how they've been doing.
It was the sensitivity of the people that work there, the cleanliness of the place, the compassion and understanding of what they know about dementia and Alzheimer's that made it seem like a good place. She's just had so many problems that what we were hoping to become a comfortable, loving place because of the disease, the challenges have been significant for both her, the family and the staff.

Very Nice, Lockdown

It's very very nice but it's all lockdown and that's not what I wanted for my husband.

Our fist choice and clearly the top c...

Our fist choice and clearly the top choice from a clinical standpoint. We were impressed with the education of the director, and the marketing person's family member had been at the facility for 3 years. The facility was neat and clean and the patients seemed well-taken care of. After we reviewed 8 locations, we choice this property to provide care to him.

Desert Hills Alzheimer’s Special Care Center is a free-standing, specialized community that is dedicated to providing a program of care and activity for persons with cognitive limitations related to Alzheimer’s disease or other related dementia. We offer long-term care, short term respite stays and adult day care. A unique feature of our community is 24 hour Licensed Nursing supervision.
We encourage each resident to function at their highest possible level, and we welcome family participation in the care-planning process.
Our atmosphere is warm and inviting – our meals tasty and nutritious – and our staff are specially trained to care for the needs of the Alzheimer’s/dementia resident.
We cannot predict all of the challenges ahead for your loved one, but we are determined to make the best of whatever comes; to help you live in the moment – to take one step at a time. Come visit with us, and discover how special Desert Hills is!