Trail Creek Place - Michigan City, IN

A Work in Progress, but Mom is Receiving Good Care Here

It is still a bit of an adjustment process for my mother with her move to this community. I do have minor concerns, but overall I do feel she is receiving good care. The staff is super, they are trying their best to care for her, and needs. The activities director is amazing, she is the happiest, and so upbeat. I would say the meals could use some improvements. There is some room for improvements, but I would recommend this community overall.

Caring staff!

My mother is doing well since her move into Trail Creek. I just went to see her last night and they have been taking good care of her. I have not had any problems so far, it has been a pretty good experience.

They are responding to the few issues we have had.

We have had a few issues. They are responding to those issues and taking care of them. It's nice and clean, and the staff is friendly. I like the food, I think it's good. I would give the community about a four out of five so far.

Pleasant place for early stage Alzheimer's sufferers

The first, and most important thing I want to stress, if you are thinking of putting a loved one in Clare Bridge of M.C. is don't do it if your loved one has advanced Alzheimer's disease. If your loved one is in stage 6 or 7, you may not want to go that route. It is important to remember that this facility is considered an assisted living facility, even though every resident has some type of dementia. Which means, they are NOT allowed to restrain the residents at all, even if that means they are going to be at risk for falls. Sure, I don't like to see anyone restrained, and, it is extremely rough on an Alzheimer's sufferer. However, this rule also means that they can't even have railings on their beds. And, alarms on wheel chairs and beds only alert the staff that someone is getting up when they shouldn't be. Therefore, all those who are at risk of falling must be kept out in the common areas (or the nurse's office) where they can be seen. That can be a problem for those with advanced A.D. This is not a fault of the staff at Clare Bridge. They are doing the best they can under the circumstances. And, although the ratio of on-duty staff to residents is not bad (it's much better than in a nursing home), they can't be expected to keep an eye on everyone, every minute of the day and night.
I explained at what stage my loved one was at (end of stage 6) and was assured they could take care of her. But her agitation and confusion (which is common at that stage of A.D.) ended up having the nursing staff get orders for more medication to help calm her down. This included anti-psychotic drugs. Now, this is the order of her physician (and I won't go into how I feel that the Drs. are poorly trained on care of A.D. patients). And, again, the staff can only be expected to do so much. But I don't think anti-psychotics are the answer. Unfortunately, I don't know what IS!
If I had known how things were going to turn out, I don't think I would have put my loved one in this facility, just because it just wasn't the right fit for her. I know Clare Bridge says their goal is to provide care for dementia patients till the end of their lives. But sometimes that just isn't going to be possible, in my opinion. I do have to say though, it is good that they allow Hospice in the facility.

Having said all of the above, this facility looks good, is kept clean and smells good. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is pretty good and they give the residents more than enough of it (even the cooks are very friendly to the visitors!). And they do the best they can to help the residents who aren't able to feed themselves.

Clare Bridge is VERY secure. You won't have to worry about your loved one getting out of the building on their own.

From a professional viewpoint, I think the administration needs to work on their policies and procedures, to make sure all staff is on the same page, so to speak. I witnessed several miscommunications between staff members. Also, there were some verbal discrepancies on things I was told by different employees (mainly right before and after admission).
I also think they need more work on their activities program (or possibly it is that they need to hire more educated staff? I don't know). It seemed like at least one staff person was rather disorganized (although very sweet and good with the residents) when trying to carryout activities with the residents.

Overall, Clare Bridge is a great facility for those with some types of dementia (those in early stages of A.D. or other types of dementia where they aren't difficult to take care of). I would recommend it to anyone, whose loved one fits into one of those categories.

Trail Creek Place we know that memory losses due to Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia are progressive and residents' needs are continually changing. We provide balance in our residents' capabilities, personalities and preferences to create daily routines that enhance their spirits and increase their sense of purpose. We believe the amount of satisfaction our residents receive from the tasks that fill their days goes a long way to maintaining their sense of purpose and overall satisfaction with life. An Integral part of this is our promise to encourage each resident to find Daily Moments of Success. To help our residents achieve these moments, our associates receive the tools and training needed in such key areas as specialized dining and the ongoing monitoring of healthcare and behavioral needs, to name a few.

Trail Creek Place provides Alzheimer’s and dementia care residents with the lifestyle, housing and services they need in comfortable surroundings combined with the amenities, programs and care they need to help stimulate recognition, recall and wellness in a safe environment. Through years of caring for individuals with dementia we have learned how to create optimal surroundings and approaches to care. Familiar environments that our residents have enjoyed throughout their lives are recreated to help them feel reassured and comfortable. Our Alzheimer’s and dementia care programs are built to embrace, not restrict our residents' desire to wander and to provide a sense of belonging.

For more information, please visit us at