Rittenhouse Village at Portage - Portage, IN

Beware...

The one thing they never screwed up was cashing the $2500.00 plus a month check for their “services”.

My elderly parent was given another residents powerful narcotic pain medication and rushed, traumatized, to the Emergency room.

My elderly parent has terrible arthritis and can’t shower without “assistance” which they were supposed to provide. I found my elderly parent, more often than not, filthy, in a soiled depends undergarment. Often when I sought help to clean my arthritic elderly parent it was not there. I was told you can shower your parent, they bathed you when you were little, by one of the nursing staff!? And, of course, I ended up showering my elderly parent frequently.

There’s nothing more traumatic than finding your elderly parent on the floor when checking to see if they’re safe.

My family and I paid for the depends undergarments required, and if you don’t write the residents name on them they “disappear” somehow. These undergarments are not cheap!

The cleaning staff does a poor job, at best, keeping the residents rooms clean.

My advice, look closely before you subject your elderly (The Greatest Generation) or disabled loved ones to Rittenhouse! I am a proud military veteran, like my father and his father before him. I have not exaggerated or embellished this review or used a pseudonym.

My elderly parent has since moved from Rittenhouse and my family and I are relieved.

Brian Morrison

As a community, we are always deeply affected when we hear that a resident, or their family, has had a bad experience. We truly believe that all of our residents are family, and we are always working on ways to improve upon the quality of life we provide at our community on a daily basis. We welcome the opportunity to speak with you and your family directly about this matter. Please feel free to reach out to our community directly at [removed] and ask for our Executive Director, Marsha Leonard.

Mom loved it. Planning on putting a deposit down . Clean, friendly staff, good sized rooms, good menu ...

A tour for dad

We toured this community for care. The community is nice and clean. The community is a little bigger than what we wanted. The menu seemed appealing. They had a lot of nice activities. We would recommend this community if families wanted a large surrounding. We found it to be a good value and nice care.

Good price for what's offered

My mother moved here and things are going pretty well. The building is very beautifully designed and aesthetically appealing. They have dedicated staff members to different areas and they are all well trained and very knowledgeable. The biggest area of opportunity is the food. It's average to below average when it comes to institutional meals.A new chef would improve things. The issue is the way the food is prepared, for instance over cooked vegetables, etc. We chose this community because it was a good price for the services provided. If someone is willing to travel out of the city for quality care at a reasonable price I would recommend Rittenhouse Village.

Overcooked vegetables Food is not great, new chef would make it better. Very beautiful desinged. For the price RN all the time. The prices are reasonable

Mother's Care

I like the care that my mother is getting here. The staff is very nice and caring. She likes the community cleanliness. My mom said that the meals need some improvements. Too many fried foods are being served. She is in the middle of changes in this community for other care, but we would recommend this community to other families for good value and care that is given here.

Newer facility, clean. Room was very spacious. Staff was courteous and helpful with any questions. Reasonable price.

Good But Not The Meals

So far my mom is adjusting well to her new environment and appears to be well. We notice the community is clean through out and his room is kept in a good condition. The only downfall about this place is the meals that are served. I have observed no one seems to care about the food. My daughter tried lunch and she stated it was questionable.

Great Memory Care facility

A fantastic Memory Care unit, with outstanding nursing care. This service will help my father to stay in a home environment and not a skilled nursing home facility.

An Average Experience

Having my loved one put in Rittenhouse Senior Living of Portage has been about an average experience for us. I can say that it has just been a great location for us though. There is not much else to say about the place.

Nice place, overall

Overall things have gone well at Rittenhouse Senior Living. It's a nice looking place, and everyone has been very friendly. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and they seem to have a lot to provide for their residents. We are pleased with them so far, and would recommend them to others looking in the area.

Ask specific questions

Be very specific during your interview re: your need and the assistance you will receive.

MENUS example. If you are diabetic but unable to advocate for yourself, the choices are not what we understood they would be.

Exercise classes could be organize by ability. Diabetic patients need to move to control sugars.. A more challenging class for those able does not exist.

The place is beautiful, the staff attentive and pleasant; just be clear about WHAT assistance andadvocate for it.

I can only speak for my experience in...

I can only speak for my experience in the memory care area of the Portage facility. Overall the care is good but in the Memory care area it seems as though more staff is needed for the special needs of the memory care residents . The staff is hurried a lot of the time. ( not allowing enough time for the residents to eat) I have also noticed frequently the lack of attention & interaction between Aides & residents. (residents sitting at a table doing nothing while the aide is on their cell phone, not being asked if they need to use the restroom frequently enough resulting in accidents) This is not always the case but depending on who is on staff that day it does happen frequently, Other concerns are: residents bed linens not being changed on a regular basis, & showering schedules not being kept also loss of linens , towels & clothing in the laundering process, even though all items are marked I also wish there was more communication about events that the memory care residents & or family members could participate in. I receive numerous emails from the Valparaiso Rittenhouse about memory care workshops, & resident events etc. but have yet to receive any information about similar activities at the Portage facility. As a whole The Portage facility is good but, could use some improvement, I believe a little attention to detail would improve the care given immensely.

mother's opinion

My mom likes living at Rittenhouse. The only complaint she has is that the food isn't always to her liking.

They are doing a great job,

They are doing a great job, but nobody is perfect. They could do a little better with cleaning. The value for what you get is unbelievable. The food would be about a four. The only thing I think could be better is the cleanliness, the elevators and hallways are dirty, they need to do a little better with housekeeping. I liked the value and the appearance.

"MOM" found it

I am moving into "RITTENHOUSE SL" in Portage I in NW , Indiana this weekend June 22.
Just for Mom told my Son and Myself about it. Until then I had not found anything of interest,that filled my wants & needs at a reasonable reasonable cost. It has several things that made it an easy choice for me.
I recieve my medical services at the VA. It is within within the area serviced by th Villa, PLUS the clinic has bus service to their primary Hospital, for special serices that they do not provide.
All this and more I found via "A place for Mom"

Beautiful

They really have to be very self-motivated. There’s not a lot of push for participation in activities. It’s very is beautiful . The staff is very friendly. Everything is very nice. They are very knowledgeable. The food is good. The parking is good.

We are happy with the community. It's a very clean community.

We are happy with the community. It's a very clean community. The staff is friendly, and they are responsive to needs and concerns. She is real happy with the activities. The food is very good. We don't really have any complaints or concerns, nothing that I can think of that could be done better. It was pretty comparable to the others around.

This was our favorite. The...

This was our favorite. They have villas with a garage, front porch and back patio. Loved this place. If we were ready right now, this would be our choice.

Lovely Place Overall

My mother-in-law has a lovely room with a walk in closet and big bathroom. Quite frankly, she's too smart for the people that she's around. She's 97 and really doesn't want to cook clean or wash clothes so this fit the bill but intellectually and faculty-wise she's head and shoulder's above everyone around her. I wish there was assisted living but for people who are still with the program.

The food is an issue but it's because that's a meat and potatoes generation and they try to be a little more interesting with the food choices.

The accommodations are very nice and I'm glad that there's healthcare there. In those respects it's very positive. She wins at bingo and knows trivia. Overall it's very positive and the place is just lovely.

Rittenhouse review

Everyone seems to be very friendly and helpful. There are times where I might have to call to remind or get something done or need a couple times, but very good about everything.

The comfort of knowing that Mom is safe.

I am very pleased with Rittenhouse in Portage. It is a very clean, safe place for my mother. They have lots of activities and outings for the seniors. I enjoy visiting my mother there. Rittenhouse employees are polite, friendly, and helpful. The food seems to be healthy and satisfying and they are good about accommodating various eating issues, diets, food allergies, etc.

Convenient

We do not have experience with other facilities so we could not accurately rate the "value" also there was no participation in the "activities" so that cannot be accurately rated. But all and all the Rittenhouse was convenient for our needs and we would recommend them to others looking in this area.

Convenient and more affordable than other places

As far as rating the "value" of Rittenhouse, compared to other places it is a 5, but it is still too expensive in my opinion. The two reasons I chose Rittenhouse was because it is convenient and the second was the price. They offered a discounted room rate that was quite a bit less than others I had seen. I don't really know about the activities but it seems they have quite a bit.

The at people Rittenhouse Senior Living believe that residents come first- in everything. We've created Independent, Assisted Living and Alzheimer's Care that puts individual progress and personal fulfillment as our highest objective.This focus on each resident and his or her enjoyment of life gives Rittenhouse its refreshing charm. It' the reason we can attract better,more passionate caregivers,and it's embedded in our hearts to keep this tradition of care moving forward.

What makes Rittenhouse warm is management.Owners are often right there watching over things,and giving the community the personal attention that very few other places can offer, especially large chains with standardized programs that may or may not fit local, needs.

ASSISTED LIVING AND MEMORY CARE Individuals who need help with day-to-day living receive special encouragement at Rittenhouse to add meaning and fulfillment to their lives. Rittenhouse offers personal care in companion or private living accommodations along with the comfort and security of knowing community is staffed with licensed nurses around the clock.

Our high standards of care and treatment promote the health, safety and well being, rights,and dignity of each resident and foster their independence.

We encourage and assist residents to continue activities they love and enjoy. At Rittenhouse,we know how to expand resident's horizons and their options to bring them into the fullest possible participation in life.

For residents who need more specialized care,our professionally trained staff use state- of- the- art techniques.The goal is to attain for each resident the highest quality of life possible.

Rittenhouse Senior Living allows residents to feel at home and mingle with others, while gaining encouragement and loving care from Rittenhouse staff.