Brookdale Central Whittier - Whittier, CA

Brookdale Central Whittier - Whittier, CA has yet not published prices.

Pet friendly facility

When looking for a facility for my Mother, I wanted something close to me and this one is only 5 minutes away! It is a smaller community so it’s easier for my mom to remember where everything is. All of the staff members are really nice and they know my mom by name. The transition for her was a little rough in the beginning but the staff is able to be more personal and that made all the difference. This community is pet friendly and there is no odor to the building at all. I would recommend this facility to other families.

Really liked it!

We really liked the Brookdale Central Whittier when we toured the community. It was a very beautiful facility. Very warm and inviting. The staff was very friendly. My loved one was not ready to move at this time, but this would be one we will look at again in the future.

Everything is going well!!

My mother has recently made the move into this community and so far things are going well. The staff have been helpful in the transition and have made sure to accommodate her needs to the best of there ability. I like the fact that they keep in good communication with me about her care and make sure to answer any questions I have for them. Overall it has been a great place so far for her.

Lovely Place!!

I have no complaints of how things are going for my loved one since she has recently made the move into this community. The staff have been excellent with helping make the transition easy for her and are accommodating to all of her needs. They also make sure to keep in good communication with me about her care and answer any questions I have for them. She always says the meals are the best part about this place and they make sure to have a wide variety with lots of vegetables. Overall we are very happy and would recommend it to anyone.

They are being well taken care of!

Brookdale Central Whittier is a very nice community where my parents live. They are doing very well and are happy with the care and support they are receiving. I haven't had the opportunity to dine there with yet, but they say they like the food. My dad has had issues with not cutting his meat small enough and has choked, but other than that I've heard of no other complaints. The staff is very friendly and are very welcoming when family comes to visit. The atmosphere of the environment is very warm and homey. The activities mom enjoys the most are going to the casinos and exercise activities provided at the community. They have a beautiful atrium where we can all go outside and sit and visit. The landscaping is beautiful and well-maintained. I feel comforted by the fact that I feel they are safe and they are in good hands. I would recommend this community to friends and family.

Feels Like Home Not a Hotel

I have had a good friend of mine live here for about a year and she has really changed her outlook on life. She came to this community isolated and living alone. Suffering from a fall, losing her husband years prior. I didnt think I would see my friend get the light back in her eyes.

She loves all the wonderful staff who try to make her smile every time I come visit. She raves about the dining, the director goes above and beyond trying to accommodate every resident and their different tastes. Severs are always on the move working hard to get everyone fed and happy.

Care staff are up and down the halls all day giving a happy hello when they pass by. It was great a few months ago to see some of them participating in activities with the residents. The Head nurse is wonderful and takes the time to listen.

As for activities, I think they could be little more engaging. Maybe having more group things to do, outside games, seasonal contest with residents and such.

The new director there has really tuned this place up, making is what I knew it could have been when I first visited. I know my friend will have nothing but fun and happy experiences here in her golden years.

Thank you Brookdale, when its my turn to travel down this life path I would be happy to live at Central Whittier.

A good tour

We loved this community when we toured it. Everyone we met was great and the community is nice. They seem to offer some nice activities and amenities. This community was a little farther away than what we were looking for.

Dad found his voice and is laughing again!

When my father lost the love of his life-mom-he began to quickly loose interest in life. He disengaged from his hobbies, refused to leave the house and lost his voice. His since of humor and laughter gone. Poor Dad. Then I contacted a Place for Mom-my siblings and I were concern about where to seek help-my coach was excellent. My son and daughter's scout troops have gone to Brookdale for the Holidays to sign Christmas carols and play bingo with the Seniors; now, their grandpa would be one of the residents. From the tour with [Removed] to the day we signed the contract with Tammy to meeting the Chef, Activity Coordinators and most of all the gals that services the elders daily, the staff have been amazing. They treat each resident as if they were the only tenant at Brookdale. The wheelchair yoga and other activities are great. The ambiance at their restaurant is suburb and the food is fit for elders. My main and most important concern is that they need more staff. Staff appear fatigued by end of shift-i know-i visit at different hours. I would suggest a 1-5 ratio to personalize the care and give the staff more breaks given all they do. Laundry, bathing, incontinent care, wheeling folk up and down is exhausting;but, they do their best. [Removed] are awesome!! Med Techs stay on top of things too-THANK YOU BROOKDALE for peace of mind, my father found his voice again and is telling jokes-something he did as we were growing up. Lots of laughter in our home!

Enjoyable tour!!

I have no complaints of how things went for my loved one and I during our tour. The staff where friendly and made sure to accommodate our needs to the best of there ability throughout our visit. I liked the open floor plan they had as well as other great amenities for all of the residents. It was just not the right location for my mom in the end decision but I would recommend it to anyone.

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback of your recent visit to the warm and charming Brookdale Central Whittier. I am so glad you enjoyed meeting our friendly staff and that the open floor plan and great amenities were to your liking. Our mission is to enrich the lives of those we serve and we hope that you were able to witness that first hand.

We hope that you and your family are able to visit again and this time, please feel free to have a meal on us! This way you are able to try out our award-winning dining services and meet more of our team members.

Although this was not the place for your mom, we hope that you found the right fit and that those accommodations offer a safe and fun-loving environment where your mom can enjoy the best years of her life, comfortably!

If you would like to share any other question or concern with us, please feel free to reach out to us directly as we are constantly seeking ways in which we can improve our services.

Wishing you all the very best!

Promised Transportation To Church

My mother in law is slowly starting to like it here. There are a few things so far preventing her from completely enjoying her new surroundings. The staff in the dining area seems to be short not enough servers and due to that, it takes quite awhile for the food to be served to all the residents. Secondly one of the most important things going in was that she was assured they had transportation on Saturday to take her to a church which they have not had which makes her very unhappy that she can not attend church. When questioned the administration says they are working on it. But overall she is liking the activities and the residents there she is enjoying her exercise classes and her rosary and prayer sessions.

Dear .Anonymous,

I am very sorry to hear that your mother in law is not happy with our lack of transportation and with our dining services. It is never our intention to mislead our new residents or for them to have a less than favorable experience at our community, in particular our dining room. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we hope that you give us a chance to make the necessary improvements to enhance your mother in law's experience at our warm and charming community. I would like to take this opportunity to directly respond to your concerns.

1) Disappointing Dining Services-We have heard similar feedback regarding inconsistent dining services and we are attempting to prevent this type of experience in the future by adding a reservation type of system featuring multiple seating times for each meal period which yields a more personalized experience and improved quality of food as well as offers our community to have special events in the dining room such as table-side guacamole making, table-side wine tasting and eggs-your-way and omelet bars on Sundays. *(for exact days/times of special events during dining hours, please contact the community directly) This new reservation system will come with glitches I am sure as does any change, however we are hoping that the system will be streamlined by month's end and we are looking forward to new feedback on improved quality as time moves forward.

2) Lack of transportation- You are right, we are currently lack in the transportation department. Our current bus driver has a limited schedule as he is now retiring. We are actively looking for a quality candidate who is experienced in geriatric care and who has the qualifications mandated by the state of California to provide the very best transportation experience for our residents. Until the perfect fit is found we are able to assist your mother in law with setting up access and/or dial a ride services so that she can still attend church services and another other personal appointment or local errand that she might have. Some of our residents even use Fiesta Taxi Services and / or Uber or Lyft as appropriate. Our caring concierge, Carlina has access to this information and can assist you with the arrangements as needed. We are also looking to add services from local Catholic Churches, in house to help offset the availability of our transportation services as we do have a high-volume of Catholic residents at our community.

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback and we encourage you to contact us directly with any other question or concern that might arise during your mother-in-law's stay with us!

It seems to me that overall you are pleased with her participation and of course we are too!

We are very grateful that you all have chosen Brookdale Central Whittier and we look forward to hearing from you all in the future.

Brookdale Central Whittier
Terri dot torres at brookdale dot com

He Is Involved With the Activities

Everything is fine at this community. It is a smaller community. My brother likes the meals, it is very good. He is participating in some of the activities and he is exercising. We picked this community because they are not too far from our house
and the price was more reasonable.

HI Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your brother's experience with Brookdale Central Whittier.

We are very happy to hear that he is participating in activities and being active in the community. Being close to your loved one is always a plus, so I am glad that you all found the location and cost helpful.

If you ever find yourself in need of more assistance or if you wish to provide us with more detailed feedback, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

We thank you again for your feedback and more importantly, we are so thankful to have your brother at our community.

Take care and have a wonderful day!

A warm feeling

The staff have been inviting mom to participate in some of the daily activities. They are welcoming, caring and everybody knew her and were checking on her from the start. The food is fine and the community is kept clean. I felt that they maintained a warm personnel type of attention with the residents and the family. I would recommend this community.

Terri Torres

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Brookdale Central Whittier. We are overjoyed to learn that you would recommend our community and that your mom is enjoying her new home!
We wanted to remind you to please RSVP to our upcoming events that we are having to celebrate Father's Day weekend- with the entire community along with their family and friends!
Please join us by calling to RSVP at [removed]
We look forward to having your family join us :)
Take care and have a great day!
Brookdale Central Whittier

We were very impressed with the warm and positive climate of the staff and residents. The director was most informative and caring, as she guided us through the facility. We were ready to move in ourselves!

Terri Torres

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Brookdale Central Whittier. We are overjoyed to learn about your experience while visiting us.

Take care and have a great day!

Terri Torres, LVN Brookdale Central Whittier

I think Brookdale Whittier is a wonderful place. They really work with you to help to care for your loved ones. You always feel welcome at Brookdale and it is clean and beautiful with a lot of fun activities for the residence. Restaurant dining is fabulous. Food is also very good. One of the most affordable very nice places I could find!
Friendly and very helpful staff. Personally, I love the place.

Terri Torres

We wanted to invite you visit us again and please RSVP to our upcoming events that we are having to celebrate Father's Day weekend- with the entire community along with their family and friends! Saturday, June 17, 2017 starting at 130pm We are having a beer tasting bash followed by an appearance by our friends and special guests: The Los Angeles Rams Cheerleaders!!!! Sunday, June 18, 2017 starting at 11am we are having a special Father's Day Family BBQ with Live Entertainment and gifts for our male residents. Please join us by calling to RSVP at [removed] We look forward to having your family join us :) Take care and have a great day!

Terri Torres, LVN Brookdale Central Whittier

Getting Recovery Here

My sister is recovering from a broken leg and related mobility issues. She is hoping to become independent again and she choose this community to get recovery. Right now the experience is fine. She took a tai-chi course and she goes on outings with the community. The only compliant is that at times they add pepper to the meals.

Hi en.Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Brookdale Central Whittier.

We really appreciate your feedback and we hope that you give us a chance to make things right in regards to the dining services experience.

In an effort to provide the freshest meals with varied options and an excellent dining experience, we have added multiple dining seating options to each meal period. This allows for residents to truly experience a fine-dining, restaurant quality atmosphere at each and every meal.

Should your sister be craving selections that are not on the menu, we encourage her to give us the opportunity to say YES to her special request. Most items that you will find in your home kitchen, we have available and are able to accommodate special requests within reason. We also encourage our residents and their family members to participate in our monthly resident council and food committee meetings, so that their individual questions, concerns and preferences can be heard and honored by a member of the leadership team.

The next time you visit your sister, I invite you to have a complimentary meal on us, so that you can try our dining services for yourself!

I do hope that your sister has enjoyed her stay at our warm and charming community. Feel free to reach out to me directly, if you ever have any additional questions, comments, or if there is anything we can do to help remedy your experience.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Not a good place

This community smelled terrible when I visited. The floors were dirty. This community seemed like a bad nursing home. The staff I met seemed like this was just a job and they did not seem to enjoy working there. I would not go back there.

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our community with SeniorAdvisor.

Providing a safe, fun and inviting environment along with a warm and charming community is our top priority.

I am very disapointed to learn that your recent visit fell so short of what we strive to offer our beloved seniors and our guests. I would love the opportunity to learn more about your visit in an effort to improve our services. I invite you to reach out to me directly via email at Terri dot torres at Brookdale dot com

On behalf of our entire community, I apologize that you had a bad experience during your visit and I hope that if we ever get the pleasure to have you back in our community, you will have an improved opinion of all that we have to offer.

Brookdale Central Whittier

They could use more rehab!

I like the Brookdale but my mother is not too happy. She thinks some of the other residents are not very nice. On the other hand, she is making friends and joining activities. The only thing I wish they could improve on is the fact that they need more rehab.

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you so much for taking the time share your thoughts on our community with Senior Advisor.

We agree that physical activity and strength training excercizes offer a wonderful opportunity to ensure your beloved senior remains happy, healthy and strong. Did you know that we do offer daily excercize class such as Zumba Gold, Tai Chi and our signature B-Fit program? Additionally, we do offer in-home physical therapy via the Brookdale Home Health program?

We invite you to contact the wonderful, Amy Rogers, LVN our Health and Wellness Director to schedule a courtesy PT assessment from a Brookdale Home Health Liaison today!

Amy can be reached by writing amy dot Rogers at Brookdale dot com

We also invite you to share the concerns your mom is having with her neighboring residents. It is our mission to ensure the safety and happiness of all of our residents. Please contact me directly as I would love the opportunity to help resolve any issue or concern that your mom and your family might have about our warm and charming community. I can be reached at Terri dot torres at Brookdale dot com

Thank you again for your time and have a great day!

Brookdale Central Whittier

The best I've seen so far!!!

A Very nice place, a friendly staff, clean common areas. I saw a lot of interaction with the residents, which was pretty nice!!!

Take care and have a great day! Terri Torres, LVN Brookdale Central Whittier

Clean, nice & fun

My dad is happy at Central Whittier. We love their courtyard & weekly musical entertainers. The staff is professional and courteous. For me, I have peace of mind knowing dad is cared for & not at home alone, thank you !

I am not impressed.

I am not impressed with the care my husband is receiving at this community. They are not doing a good job of cleaning my husband after he goes to the restroom. We have talked to them and things have not changed much. I was told that they only have three caregivers during the morning and afternoon and two caregivers in the evening. The care in the assisted living is below our expectations. The food is good, however I do not think they take his dietary needs into consideration.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to review our community.

I would like to thank you for brining your concerns to our attention.

On behalf of the entire management team and staff, we would like to sincerely apologize if the care that we provide to your husband is below your expectation. Our care-giving team is highly trained and qualified to provide 5-star service to our beloved residents at all times. We currently have 3 full-time nurses on staff and the number of caregivers that rotate shifts, depends on the care needs of our population at any given time. At present, we have many residents who do not require a lot of care, therefore, we staff accordingly. I am very discouraged and disappointed to hear of the negative experience your family has had thus far and I am looking forward to the opportunity to improve our care services. Above all else, providing excellent care and customer service is our main goal and it is unfortunate your beloved husband has not yet experienced the very best we have to offer. I would love to invite you to make a care conference appointment with our Health and Wellness Director, Amy, so that we can go over all of the details about this case, with the hope that we can come up with the best plan to best serve your husband.

Lastly, I would like to thank you about the kind comment you had towards the food provided by our award-winning dining services department. I would like to invite you to be our guest by sharing the next 10 meals with your husband at no charge.

I would also love to invite you to discuss the distinct dietary needs that our community accommodates with the prescribed order of the resident’s doctor. For example, we will be more than happy to observe vegetarian, low-sodium, diabetic, chopped, pureed and other special dietary needs.

Please provide us with an opportunity to improve in all of the areas where we have fallen short. We look forward to discussing these challenges with you directly.

[removed], [removed] or terri dot torres at Brookdale dot com

Nice community but more activities would be nice

My father is not particularly happy about moving from home.The staff is making an effort to keep him comfortable. They don't offer a memory care wing so we may to move him. It's nice and clean all the time. It smells very potpourri. They offer three meals a day, if you miss a meal they'll offer sandwiches, juice and coffee after hours. They don't offer a gym and he would like to be able exercise. He also isn't happy that he cannot walk the grounds without supervision.They have been very accommodating and do their best to lift his spirits.

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the services and care your dad is receiving at the warm and friendly, Brookdale Central Whittier.
Although we do not currently offer a memory care unit at our community, the good news is that Brookdale does offer memory care at some of our other sister-properties, this way your loved one can experience all that Brookdale has to offer throughout every stage of their golden years, if and when the time comes to transition to a memory care facility.
In regards to the activities that we offer, it is our goal to host a variety of different activities to suit every resident’s interests and care needs. Despite the fact that we do not have an on-site gym or workout room, we offer Zumba Gold and Zumba Gold-Chair class on Monday, Tai Chi Class on Wednesday and a different exercise class every other day of the week. We also feature the award-winning signature, B-fit program that incorporates many different and proven senior-helpful exercises to engage the mind, body and spirit. We also have free hand-weights, rubber-bands and other strength building tools available upon request for our residents to enjoy. Lastly, our residents may benefit from having physical therapy appointments available with a doctor’s prescription through our very own Brookdale Home Health Services Department. Also, the community features a large courtyard and has an open floor-plan that accommodates a resident who enjoys a leisurely walk.
We would love the opportunity to discuss your loved one’s activity needs more and invite him to participate in other festivities that might peak his interest. Please give us an opportunity to serve your loved one with the exceptional care and attention that they deserve.
We look forward to hearing from you directly.
[removed] or [removed]
Terri dot torres at Brookdale dot com

Not impressed with the staff!!

When I had taken a tour of this community and I had noticed that the staff was not as friendly and welcoming as the other tours I had taken of different properties. They did not give my loved one and I a very inviting feeling and did not spend much time with us. I also did not like that right when you walk out the front door it was a very busy main street and I did not like that since my dad often likes to take a walk.

Mom's Care

we like the care here for my mom. Theadministrative staff is wonderful. We higter private care for my mom, so the staff does not pay alot of attention to her because of the private care. The billing office over billed me, but it was taken care of. The meals are good and she does have special needs on certain foods. They are offering her activities, but she is not able to participate. We would recommend this community for great care and a good value for a loved ones needs.

A great place for a parent

From my first phone call to A Place for Mom to present has been extremely perfect. Everyone is friendly and professional. This is my first time having to deal with placing my mother in an assisted facility. When I made the first call I have been guided through every step, actually everyone held my hand through the whole process. When I call my mom I can hear the difference of improvement in her voice.

Fits our familiy's needs

My dad is a diabetic and has lived here for years. The food is phenomenal and they always have healthy options for his condition-even giving him a sugar free cake for his birthday. The place just got a facelift with new furniture, which has added to his charm. Nothing too fancy or done up- but clean and comfortable. Thank you Brookdale central Whittier for your hospitality

Just like home!

This community is charming and comfortable! My loved one is safe & healthy here but most importantly happy! The transition from home to the community was not easy but the staff here made every effort to assist with the process. Live musical impersonators and great food - plus happy hours. Lastly it always smells great here like cookies fresh from the oven. We love it !!

Not impressed with this community!!

When my loved one and I first arrived at the community there was no one available to give us a tour, we had to wait almost an hour for help. During our visit I was not impressed, I noticed there was residents smoking everywhere outside and the building was not well maintained. It was not a good fit for my dad .

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and submit your review. Although we share in your disappointment that you had a less than impressive visit, we are very grateful to learn how we can improve our community and our services. We agree with you that your time is very valuable and that the maintenance of our building is a top priority. You might be happy to learn that we have recently remodeled our community and have added brand new furniture and flooring to many of the common areas.

The most important thing is that your dad finds the right assisted living community to suit his needs, where he will be happy, healthy and most importantly, safe. I am hoping that you have found that resource while searching for options.

I would love to invite you to please share with me directly, a more detailed review of your visit, so that I can use this as an educational tool for both myself and our associates. Feel free to contact me by emailing terri dot torres at brookdale dot com

Thank you again for your time and have a great day!

Just like home

My loved one stays here and our family has really enjoyed the experience. Great food and attentive, caring staff! They constantly have events, activities and they work really hard to keep the residents happy. Thank you central whittier for all you have done for my beloved family member.

Dear Senior Advisor User,

On behalf of our associates and management team at Brookdale Central Whittier, we thank you kindly for allowing us to care for your beloved senior. Whenever you need assistance please feel tor reach out to me directly by emailing terri dot torres @ brookdale . com

A great place!!

This community is great. I cannot say enough about how amazing this community is. The staff and the food are great. I wish we could afford to keep my mom here. The cost of the care she needs is a little out of our price range. The community is very clean. The activities are great and I would recommend this community.

Food is Excellent!!

The chef is wonderful at this community, they are always serving fresh and delightful food. The cleanliness of my loved ones room is mediocre, defiantly has room for improvement. I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone in need of additional care for there loved one.

Short Term for my mom

I am happy with the care that my mom. The food was nice there and my mom. enjoyed the meals and the variety. She was busy with the activities while she was there for not too long. We would recommend this for excellent care for anyone needing assistance.

Nice Care

This is a good community with good care. The staff is helpful and caring. The food is good and a good variety. They do offer activities for others to participate in to be active. This community is highly recommended for others.

Respite Care

My 84 year-old mother-in-law stayed at Brookdale Whittier for 8 days in a respite care situation. She said the food was good and the people friendly. Staff were very attentive and caring. Administration team was professional, helpful, and caring. Mom had a good 8-day experience. Her respite care room was furnished nicely, but minimally.

Hi Dennis,

On behalf of the associates and management team at Brookdale Central Whittier we thank you kindly for taking the time to provide us with feedback on our community and services. We appreciate the fact that you entrusted us with the care and safety of your mom.

Should you all find the need of respite or assisted living services in the future, please feel free to contact me directly by emailing at terri dot torres at brookdale dot com

Need More Fresh Fruits Available

My father is doing okay here at this community. Everything is working out pretty well. The community for the most part is well maintained, but there are some areas that could be cleaned better. The staff is very friendly. He has tried a few activities, they offered many for him to choose from. The food is okay, they need more of a variety of fresh fruits for the residents to choose from. They are providing him with good care.

Dear Anonymous,

We thank you for your kind and gracious review of our services at Brookdale Central Whittier. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we take your concerns very seriously. We are in the midst of adding staff to ensure all areas are clean and tidy at all times. We agree that food plays an important role in al of our lives, especially in the life of our seniors. For this reason, we are proud to have an award winning dining services department that offers fresh fruits and vegetables. We also have fresh fruit plates always available upon request and fresh fruits for residents and guests are available by the community refreshment station. The courtesy refreshment stations offer coffee, water, and fruit options, which are typically apples, oranges and bananas. We look forward to bringing more options to our seniors using your feedback. There is also a monthly food committee meeting where residents are able to meet with our Dining Services Director, Nicky, directly so that she can have an opportunity to address and correct any concerns that may be occurring.
Please feel free to contact me directly, should have you have any other questions or concerns. You may reach me at terri dot torres at brookdale dot com

We Like The Community

My mom is doing fine since living here. The community is very nice and the staff are very good people. We have had no issues so far. If we did have a concern, they responded very well.

The staff is always so friendly and willing to help and answer any questions. So far so good my mother seems happy.

Feels like home!!

My mom is doing well since moving into Brookdale Central Whittier. I have even recommended the community to a friend. The staff are very friendly and attentive to the residents. It is an older building and the only complaint I have is that the elevators are small. She likes the food and they have a variety to choose from. They offer activities to the residents, however my mom does not participate in them.

I love the environment. Friendly staff, polite, helpful, quick in responding to my questions, cozy, comfortable environment. It's not a crowded environment, so living here, you could bet your loved one will get plenty of personalized care. Staff seems compassionate, and capable of handling any concerns, by making accommodations. They have just enough stimulation for social well being. Keeping our loved ones in their best interest. I was very excited after the tour. Very pleased with the atmosphere. Thank you Erica, Terri, and Pat for working with me in helping to find placement for my elderly best friend.

Dear Anonymous,

We thank you very much for your kind and gracious feedback. We work tirelessly to ensure the safety, health and happiness of our community's seniors. Please feel free to reach me directly, should you ever find yourself in need of any other service related to elder care and Brookdale Central Whittier. Please feel free to reach me directly, [removed]

Very pleased

My mother is so happy at Brookdale, the staff are so caring, ALL areas of staffing very nice, the transition from home to assisted living, was especially smooth due to this facility..my family and I will be forever grateful.

Amazing Staff

I think that the director is amazing. They are exceptionally helpful in their directions and they are very patient. The food is marvelous, absolutely delicious. My loved one seems to be okay with the place.

Takes Some Time

It takes a little time for them to adjust to my loved ones needs. At first it doesn't seem like they are answering the call, but if you point it out to them they will fix it. So they are good at trying to remedy the problem. I think the food could be a little better as well.

really good reputation

Everyone at Brookdale Central Whittier has been wonderful. Dad seems really happy there. Right now he is in a private room at a special rate that we got. He really likes his privacy however when the special rate is up he will have to move to a shared room which will be hard on him. All in all everyone is very friendly and cooperative at the facility. Brookdale Central Whittier has a really good reputation and that is why we chose it. So far it is living up to it although dad hasn't been there too long yet.

Happy at Brookdale

Staff is friendly and facility is clean and neat. My mother says the food is good, which is an added plus! She enjoys her spacious studio room. I would say her overall experience at Brookdale Centeral has been good.

very nice and very friendly

The Director is compassionate and seems to understand the wants and needs of senior citizens. The food overall is good. Most of the care staff is nice and friendly but the service can be inconsistent. Some of the care staff are more diligent and thoughtful than others. They could use additional training to help provide a more consistent, quality experience. Also, some nights, the staff is short-handed, leading to long waits.
For the most part, it's been a good experience for my mother so far.

positive experience

They are very friendly at Brookdale Central Whittier. They are genuinely very warm and caring, and they really go out of their way to create a positive experience for the residents.

Friendly

The dining room is fabulous but the quality of the food could be better. Other than it is great. The residents are friendly. I can't rate the care services because it is not applicable.

Assisted Living Made to Feel Like Home

This turned out to be exactly what we were looking for. After looking at several facilities, and being both disappointed, and concerned, we went on a tour of Brookdale. The staff was amazing. They spent a lot of time showing us around....introducing us to different staff members etc. The other facilities that we had visited had a very "institutional" feel. Brookdale was more like an apartment complex, and has a "home" feel. You can tell that the staff are people who genuinely want to be there, and have the compassion needed to do this type of work. More importantly......the residents look happy.

exceptionally friendly

The staff at Emeritus at Whittier is exceptionally friendly and very caring. They are also very good at taking care of things right away.

One complaint I would make is that the price is going up which I was not expecting and will be tough since they are on a fixed income. I believe this has to do with the fact that Emeritus is merging with (or is it being acquired by?) Brookdale.

That has me a little concerned, but other than that it has been a positive experience overall.

I would say they are definitely an above average community.

They are doing a pretty good job. There was a little bit of an issue of the comfort and size of the shower, but they have been willing to work with us, and we seem to have straightened it out. I would say they are definitely an above average community.

Dear Loved One,

Thank you for taking the time to review our warm and charming community, Brookdale Central Whittier. I agree with you that having a safe and comfortable bathing experience is very important. Our showers have low step-in access point for safety and are equipped with standard grab bars. Our shower can accommodate shower chairs and we can install additional grab bars in the shower, bathroom, and room, upon request to meet each individual resident's needs. We also have a completely flat, private and wheelchair accessible shower room available. We are glad to know that although there was an issue it seems to have been resolved. Please let us know how we can meet your expectations and your loved one's needs on this topic or any other concern that may arise regarding senior living at Brookdale Central Whittier. We are here for you!

Thank you for trusting us with your loved one.

Brookdale Central Whittier

Beautiful facility, staff work at involving residents

I liked the unique smallness of the facility. There were only two stories. It was very manageable for an older person. There is a beautiful dining area.

The only thing I didn't like was that the closets are small.

I liked the welcome environment and the inclusiveness of the staff. They made sure that my mother participated, and that she knew where things were, such as the dining area and the library.

Overall the staff attitude and welcom...

Overall the staff attitude and welcoming approach encompassed the approach one wants to see in the caring of their parent. Overall high marks.

Emeritus at Whittier

I loved A Place for Mom. Ed was so helpful in giving me the names of places and even setting up appointments. It was such a difficult decision and he really helped. I chose Emeritus at Whittier and my mom loves it and it's only been a week! A Place for Mom should be used for everyone who needs help.

One look at it from the out...

One look at it from the outside and I left. The building is unattractive, the resident windows looked like old apartment housing with broken window coverings. Leery little parking. Not going to work.

Dear A Place for Mom Customer,

We thank you kindly for taking the time to leave feedback about our warm and charming community. We agree that first impressions are very important when establishing a new partnership. The good news is that we are putting the finishing touches on a wonderful remodel, which has added charm and value to our guests and their overall experience. Now not only do we have a caring, full-service staff with an award winning dining and activities program, we also have a brand new look to go along with it! Should you find yourself in the need for senior living services again, we welcome you to give our building another visit. We will gladly provide you with a complimentary dining services experience and answer any question you may have.

To book your visit or if you have any additional questions, comments or concerns, please contact me directly by emailing me at terri dot torres at brookdale dot com

Thanks again for your assistance and we hope you have a blessed day!

Staff very open

We chose Emeritus because of the friendliness of the staff. They really made my loved one feel welcomed. The staff is very open and transparent, so you feel like everything is truly what they market. The value that we are getting here is really good very happy with everything so far. We are really getting what we pay for. We would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, friendly and comparably priced community for their loved one.

Great facility. Met with Ta...

Great facility. Met with Tammy who was cordial and seemed to really enjoy her job. She knew many of the residents by name. Facility was well maintained, residents seemed to be happy. Staff were interacting with residents. There were activities going on. I liked that each resident was issued a life alert lavaliere to wear in addition to the in-room emergency call buttons. We were invited back to bring our mother to see the facility. The only issue I had is that I did not see any 'independent' seniors on my visit. Each resident either had a walker, cane, wheelchair or some device. The members seemed more frail and dependent then my mother is and that concerns me as to how happy she would be in that type of environment.

Daily assistance with bathing and dre...

Daily assistance with bathing and dressing; Dining assistance and special diets; Escorts and assistance with walking; Laundry and linen service; Housekeeping

Tour done and it is too expensive. Ve...

Tour done and it is too expensive. Very nice place.

Brookdale Central Whittier is nestled at the foot of the Whittier Hills. This tranquil neighborhood of tree-lined streets and family homes and parks is the ideal community for senior living.

Our residents are able to walk to a number of different venues in the area or, if preferred, we drive them. Brookdale Central Whittier can best be described as a happily thriving community. We offer a variety of activities and amenities for our residents, including:

Zumba
Pet therapy
Weekly entertainers
Gardening club
Walk n talk
Bread baking

All of our apartments look out to either the garden courtyard or to our quaint tree-lined neighborhood. Each apartment is brightly lit with large windows and modern lighting fixtures, with bathroom facilities modified to accommodate all residents.

Our dining services receive regular praise from our residents. Our chef works with our nutritionist to provide delicious and healthy meals that are easily modified to accommodate any dietary requirement. Residents and guests are welcome to sit anywhere they like in our restaurant style dining room and order from a menu that has daily specials and regular items.

Our care and housekeeping staff strives to genuinely connect with our residents—ensuring that their every need is tended to with immediacy and thoroughness.