Nice place overall, but really need to work on the food

I think in general they do a good job at Bayview Rest Home. they keep the facility, both the grounds and the individual rooms, beautiful. The staff here are also friendly and professional. However, the food is just terrible. I find about 80% of it to just be completely inedible. It's something I'd really like to see them work on.

The building is aging. The plumbing is not adequate, the toilets and showers continually back up. Attempts are made at cleaning. Laundry is done. There are no social activities for those who need companionship and to be kept stimulated. The food in no way meets nutritional guidelines. It's prepackaged and frozen. Many residents who are able eat outside of the facility when possible. No respect for privacy. Residents walk into others rooms and go into their drawers. There is not adequate staff to supervise the population they are dealing with. We would all like to send our loved ones to the lavish Assisted Living Facilities that are available. Most middle class cannot afford them. These places are suppossed to fill in the gap. At $1,800 a month a better job can be done. If they cannot provide the basics being nutritious meals, a safe and stimulatimg environment and safety, I would not leave an aging family member there for one night. The residents are people who.for one reason or another are disenfranchised. They have no where else to go. No one wants to end up that way!

Could do so much better!

The rest home is centrally located allowing those that are mobile the ability to walk to shop etc. The building is aging. The plumbing cannot support the facility. Constant toilet and shower back ups. The rooms were relatively clean. Laundry done. No activitites provided for those that need the company and stimulation. The "food" is unacceptable. Prepackaged and TV frozen dinner in no way meets the daily nutrion guidelines. A hot breakfast to start off your day could not be accomplished. Family member purchased food from outside the facility at least once a day. Seemed that medication was given properly. Three pills and a glass of water, so not really a good judge on that account.This place @ $1,800 a month is not cheap. The luxurious assisted living where we'd all like our loved ones to go are not affordable for most of us. These places are in place to take the overflow for the "middle class". A better job needs to be done. I would not be comfortable leaving an aging family member there. This is a place where people go when they have no where else to go. Every resident has a different story. It all comes down to basics, these are people who are no longer capable of living on their own dealing with life's daily decisions and for one reason or another have damaged relationships with friends and family. For us , my friend was being discharged from a nursing home and was not capable of living on his own. He is over 55 but not "elderly". After a few months with the help of the few people still in his life he is in his own apartment. This was an eye opening experience for him. Showed him where he could end up permanently if he did not start taking responsibility for his actions. For that this place served us well.

not a good experience

There are several things about Bayview Rest Home that needs to be improved. It needs to be kept much cleaner. The food I can hardly even recognize. It was really overall not a good experience and I would not recommend them. They made a good sales pitch and were very solicitous, but in the end did not deliver.

Need to improve the food

I haven't been peronally. The friend I helped place her partner there after being in a nursing home said it's clean and comfortable. The location is excellent as it's a short walk to a shopping center. The only real complaint is the food. He said hospital and nursing home food is better. That's a mouthful. We weren't expecting aanything fancy.however, they have a staffed kitchen there is no reason that the food should be unacceptable. The occupant goes and purchases food everyday. That is something that needs to be worked on. Not everone has the capacity or the money to be able to repay for food daily.

He's happy

Everything is going great, I'm not there all too often but the few times that I was there everyone was really nice. We're actually going to be going to see him on Friday, I know he's happy though, he's happy there, he even got himself a job, he's working in the kitchen, making a little extra money.

lovely area, rooms smaller than expec...

lovely area, rooms smaller than expected. Clean and the people very nice.

Welcome to Bayview Rest Home. Our home has been in operation for over forty years serving the needs of senior citizens from all over the New York area. We pride ourselves in offering individualized care to all our residents. We are a family operation, and we think of all our residents as family.

Our rates are fully inclusive of all services and are very reasonable. We appreciate that it can be a difficult decision to place a loved one in the care of others. Therefore, we welcome you to visit us so that you will see that he / she will be treated compassionately and with respect.