[name removed] guidance, expertise, and friendliness are exemplary. I never felt rushed, the community tour was great, and the information provided was excellent.

Nice facilities, very light and airy. Lots of common rooms for activities. Good plan for progressive care and transition to skilled nursing. Some odors were off-putting.

Very appealing facility. The staff I encountered were pleasant and residents seemed happy. Clean

I was impressed with this supportive living community two years ago, when I tried to get my mom and her husband to transition before it was "too late." The continuum of care model was very attractive, with the addition of their SNF as well as memory care a distinct advantage. I hadn't toured memory care till now, and must say I was disappointed at the space. There seemed to be minimal common area, the hallways are long and painted dark, the staff was courteous but not overly friendly and engaged. There is a 1-2 month waiting list for memory care. That said, had Mom not come into a small "windfall," this likely would have been her one and only option other than Medicaid nursing home placement.

We toured this community

We went on a tour and it was good. The staff was knowledgable and answered all of our questions. The memory care here looked more institutionalized. It was a clean and nice community.

2nd Choice

We really liked this community.It was just a little further away from the family. We had appointment for the tour but had to wait for them. The staff seemed overwhelmed maybe a little understaffed. They had good activities and clean community. They do accept medicaid which is a plus.

Don't be fooled by a slick tour and recent renovation

My father went to Asbury Gardens for rehab after hip surgery. There were a few friendly and helpful staff but I encountered problems with just about everyone else. Their lack of communication skills is a huge problem. My father contracted pneumonia while he was there and no one from the staff called me to tell me they had ordered a chest xray, diagnosed pneumonia and put him on antibiotics. The activity/dining room is uncomfortably hot. When I asked about it I was told that they kept it that way for patients because they're always cold nevermind that the rest of the facility is very cold. Later I overheard a maintenance man telling staff to keep the curtains drawn to help keep the temperature down because something was wrong with the a/c in that room. It was never fixed while Dad was there. The social worker is ridiculously hard to get a hold of and unhelpful. PT staff has no clue how to deal with someone with dementia. A patient was picking on another patient and the aides just laughed and did nothing. I could go on and on but I'll end with if you have another option besides Asbury, take it.

My Mother's Care

This is a nice community for my mom. The staff are always caring and helpful. The variety of the healthy meals and she is enjoying everything. I like knowing that she is doing some of the activites with the other residents from time to time. I would recommend this community for the good care and the value that is offered.

We liked the community and we are considering this location. I do not like that there are three beds to a room.

Like a scene from a horror movie!

You could not pay for me to put someone in there! The first floor seemed okay, but when we got to the second floor which was the dementia unit, it seemed like a horror movie! It was dark, the walls were painted a navy blue color, and it was very depressing. I would never put my loved one there.

very nice facility, with nice staff members. Rooms are 300 to 350 sq ft and the residents seem happy. about an hour drive from home.

My Sister is Well

My sister is well here at this community, they are taking very good care of her, and her needs. They have a very good staff here. They have been helpful, and attentive. I know she is safe, and in a good place. She is pleased with the meals, the food is good. This community has worked out well for our family, and I would recommend it.

A Follow Up Call Would Have Been Nice

My dad 's financial responsibility did not fit their system and they never called back after the tour. There was no personal touch or follow up. They didn't know what decision I made. But overall it just was not financially a good fit for him.

Caring Loving Community

It has been hard time for my mother with adjusting to this community, but I'am pleased with all they have done for us. She loves the food, and she says everyone are very kind. I know she is safe, and in a good hands. The staff is great, they are very caring and loving. Her room is very nice, and the community is clean. It has been a good experience, and I would recommend this community.

This community is not for everyone

Mom was only in this community for about a month before we realized she needed more care than they were able to provide. The community does offer daily activities. She liked the food and The community was kept clean. The staff were nice. I would recommend this community.

An oasis of vitality

Asbury Gardens is the ideal place for my mom. The atmosphere is bright and full of life. There are always people moving around doing things. The staff is friendly and attentive. People genuinely care for each other. After living 30+ years alone, my mom now has a more social life, which she needs. Nursing staff makes sure she gets her meds and she has a lot less to worry about.

A tour for us.

We toured this community. We liked the staff and they were able to answer the questions we had on the care that we would of received here. The had activities if we wanted to participate with others. The menu seemed to be good. The community was clean and taken care of. We would of been happy with this community. We would recommend others to see the options that are available here.

Facility does not offer long term care.

A Possible Future Home

I took a tour of this community mainly for the memory care. I saw they were doing upgrades around the place that seemed to be going well. There was an open yard for residents and the place appeared clean with no lingering odors. The staff seemed responsive to residents needs.

I would rate the staff a 4!!

Mom has settled in very well at Asbury Gardens. We do differ on the rating of the food she would say it was a 1 and I would say it was a 3. She enjoys some of the activities offered. The staff are caring and friendly. I would recommend this community.

We like it very much.

We like it very much. The people have been very, very nice. The rooms are large and easy to maneuver with a wheelchair. The physical therapist even built a platform. The food is very good. It's a thousand dollars less than where we were before. The other residents are pretty nice as well. They come to get her regularly, and tell her it's time for lunch. They are very accommodating. She has a nice outdoor area outside her room. They have bent over backwards to help us with medicaid. It's very open and modern looking. It's nice to see people gravitate outside their room, and they have lots of nice areas to sit and be outside with the residents. You do have to supply all the toilet paper and things. Parking is nice. They just put in white marble floors that are so pretty.

Best lighting I've come across

What a great energy throughout. The patients were actively associating with each other in hallways, meeting ares and especially in the dining room. i watched as they conversed not only across tables to one another but passersby joining in the fun as well. I visited during the upgrades and saw the high grade of materials being used as well as excellent workmanship. Can’t wait to see the place when the finishing touches are in place for the upgrades! The building also had the best lighting I’ve come across in over a dozen places for seniors in the area - both natural and artificial.

Is under renovation and not a happy atmosphere at this time. Staff ok, but nothing compared to Franciscan or Alden.

I could not have done it without them

After two months of rehab in one part of the facility, my mother was assessed and accepted into the assisted living portion of the property. She has had a number of health and mobility problems for a few years and after moving her in, I had to ultimately move her to a nursing home; so she didn't stay at the assisted living side very long. But the reason I had to leave this comment is because of the care, guidance and support we received from the nursing and business staff at the location while trying to establish the appropriate level of care for her.

I have to specifically name Angela, the nursing director, Lisa, the admissions director and Denise, the business manager. This was a stressful time, from surgery to rehab to assisted living, another surgery, more rehab and now to a nursing home. They knew their jobs in and out and gave me sage advice to consider every step of the way without regard to what was best for them. My mother's long term health and prosperity was their concern.

If you are looking for assisted living where the staff and residents are friendly, down to earth and supportive, please consider Asbury Gardens.

Everything is good

So far, everything is good. We do not have any complaints with the staff, the facility itself, the level of care, or the food.

An Okay Facility

There is not a lot of communication that comes back when I ask questions. Sometimes I feel like I have to pester and hound to get a response. The activities are a little repetitive. There is just a lack of information and also conflicting information.

I think they're taking good care of my mom. I do believe for their introductory week that they need to go over their services in full when they accept a resident. Some of the services offered were not mentioned. However, we are very content with them.

So Accommodating and Sweet

They were so accommodating and so sweet to him. They bend over backwards to meet his needs. The Asbury Gardens is a great place. I am glad my father is comfortable and happy here.

Hi there,

I am so happy to hear that you and your father are happy with his living arrangements at Asbury Gardens. We do work very hard to ensure that every resident has a customized care plan which is followed with close attention and lots of love. Being comfortable is so important and I am thrilled to hear that he feels comfortable here.

- Jennifer, Admissions

Mom Happy at Asbury

My mother has lived at Asbury Gardens since 2010 and moved into their Memory Support unit in 2011. The care she receives is outstanding. The staff is respectful and sees to her needs. The daily activities scheduled are varied and I am so pleased she is participating and not sitting in her room. I also appreciate the family Support Group they have to help me understand dementia and how it affects my mom. I chose Asbury for location and it turned out to be so much more.

Hi Claudia,

We are so happy that your mother is receiving the care she deserves here at Asbury Gardens. We could not be what we are today without family members like you, who are so supportive of their loved ones and who communicate thoroughly with the staff to ensure that all of your mother's needs are met. We are proud of the response that our Support Group has received and we are excited to keep growing the group, so that it will continue to be a resource for families who are experiencing what it's like to have a loved one with dementia.

Thank you for your gracious comments. We are so glad that your mother is here at Asbury Gardens.

- Jennifer, Admissions

DANGEROUS place for Dementia patients

Their "memory care" unit is a bad joke. The do not "care" for the patients. They feed them & do their laundry twice a week. They are not Made to take showers/keep themselves clean or to participate in activities (IF you can find them). The staff is very friendly and also very inept. There is supposed to be an activity director but she either works only a few hours a day or does not exist. Patients are left alone to roam the halls talking to themselves or to sit alone in their room. There is Nothing going on after 5:30 pm. The staff will promise extra care on the 2nd floor but there is none. My friend was in Much better shape prior to entering this facility than after leaving and was taken to the Emergency Room several times due to poor hygiene, dehydration, depression & lack of physical activity. This is a DANGEROUS Facility for dementia patients

Exceptional Senior Living Space

The fact that this is a medicaid accepted facility and the high level of care that is offered makes this an exceptional option. From the outside it may not look very appealing but the interior living space is very open and spacious. Since the short time my mother has been livinng @ Ashbury there have been many updates and improvements. The care provided has been great and staff has demonstrated a high attention to detail. We are still new to this transition but I am pleased so far at what I have seen from staff. It's very different from the other facilities that I toured and am very thankful Ashbury came to my attention

Jennifer Hanke

Hi there! Thank you so much for the honest and positive review. We are thrilled to offer care we can be proud of, while being able to accommodate for people financially as well. You're right, we're working hard to improve the inside of our building so that all living quarters are always updated, clean, and easy to navigate. The exterior of the building is a priority as well, and we are excited for the changes to come! Thank you again for writing!! - Jennifer, Admissions

Future Home for Mom

We are in the process of moving my Mom into the Memory care wing. We understand the renovations going on but we can see how great it will be when done. I could not be more excited about taking my Mon here. So far the staff have been amazing!!!! We really believe that Mom will do really well and we look forward to establishing a relationship with the residents and the staff. So far I have nothing but positives to say Asbury Gardens.

Jennifer Hanke

Hello Roberson family! We have had so much fun working with you to move your mom into Asbury Gardens. We are excited to welcome her into our memory care program and listen to her sing Bill Anderson as much as she wants. =) Thanks for all of the positive feedback! - Jennifer, Admissions

Property was not clean. The...

Property was not clean. There was an odor throughout the facility. The room also was not very desirable. Carpet was extremely dirty. Gross!

Jennifer Hanke

I am so sorry to hear that your visit was unpleasant. We are in the middle of renovating our entire building - you may have seen the new wood flooring in our apartment wings and the new walls as well. The carpet from the front of the lobby to the back of the building is indeed old; since it will be the biggest job of the renovation, it also has to be the last. We are aware that the old carpet makes it look less desirable, and we are working hard to get through these renovations as quickly as possible! In the mean time, please know that our nurses provide excellent care and our entire staff is undeniably dedicated, loyal, and kind to our residents. I hope you'll return in the future to see the work we've done on the building. - Jennifer, Admissions

Mom is safe and well cared for, they made the transition so easy for us!

I only gave a 4 star on cleanliness only because we moved in our mom at a time where they were performing renovations so there were some areas that were not so pretty, but we anticipate a beautiful result.
The staff has been very helpful and quick to respond to questions and provide guidance with paperwork in regards to getting in and how to have her evaluated and placed.
They continue to keep us in the loop as far as her care and helping to get her acclimated to the new surroundings and activities. I feel she is safe and well cared for.
It is a huge bonus that the residence get their own rooms. All the other homes we visited required she share a room. They are large and comfortable, their own kitchenette and private bath. Ours (mom's) even has a little patio overlooking the beautiful garden. There are multiple activities available every day, a little store with sundries and snacks in addition to the shopping field trips. The beauty school comes and offers services for free and on those weeks they do not come there is a beauty/barber shop on premises as well.
The folks at Asbury have taken a huge worry from us, and made is so easy.

Jennifer Hanke

Thank you so much for all of your kind words. The entire staff will be happy to read your positive notes. We are working hard to complete renovations and to keep all areas clean while we work. We're looking forward to a beautiful new interior! In the meantime, it's awesome that your mom got a gorgeous view of the garden! - Jennifer, Admissions

Nice place, overall

Our loved one has only been here a short time, but things seem to be going well! It is a nice looking, clean community, and all of the staff we have worked with have been very friendly and caring. They're a nice place, and definitely worth a look if you're looking into care for a loved one!

Jennifer Hanke

Thank you so much for your positive review! We are proud of the interior renovations we are doing and even more proud of our excellent care. So glad you are happy! - Jennifer, Admissions

Friendly and caring staff

We've had a good experience with Asbury Gardens so far. The caregivers have all been very friendly and professional. They do what they say they're going to do and we haven't had any problems at all. They are also great about staying in touch with families, they always call and let me know any updates regarding my loved ones status. They are in the middle of some renovations, so things aren't as clean as they could be, but that will only be temporary.

Jennifer Hanke

Thank you for such a great review! We are working hard to complete renovations quickly - thank you for pardoning our dust! So glad that you are happy with the care and the communication. - Jennifer, Admissions

Must be 65 to live here. M...

Must be 65 to live here. Margie does not qualify. Plus much more than the $2300 quoted. Disappointing.

Jennifer Hanke

I'm so sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the information you received. If you need any assistance finding a Supportive Living community for someone under the age of 65, please let me know. I'd be happy to help! - Jennifer, Admissions

Friendly, supportive and comfortable living.

Everyone there is so helpful and friendly. My dad loves it in the memory care wing. They are taking good care of him. He loves his room. It's so big and has a beautiful view. It was a great transition for him to Asbury Gardens!

Jennifer Hanke

I'm so glad to hear your dad is happy in the memory care wing! We take pride in our extra supervision and care in our memory care program. Does he like the fish tanks and turtles?? =) - Jennifer, Admissions

Could be better, but staff is good

The cost is on the high end of assisted living centers we looked at. Cable TV and phone are additional charges. The is also a one large lump sum mandatory activities charge due on entry. Not a good thing if your loved one is not going to be using the activities.
The nurses, activity planner, dining staff and staff in general are really great, which in the scheme of things, is most important. The manager, however, did not find it important to respond to 2 emails sent about concerns of the elevator in back shutting down w/ residents inside. For the cost, we feel it really should not be as run down in the public areas as it is. Furniture is torn, cushions worn, public area TVs, for the most part, go unused by the residents due to terrible picture quality. Upkeep on the exterior, including parking lot with potholes, and the grounds around the exterior of the building are not the best although when spring clean up was finally done, the landscapers hired did a great job. The courtyard is a nice area, although for some reason, we don't see it being used much by the residents. The residents can take part in a nice Asbury community garden. The apartments themselves are a good size and weekly cleaning crew friendly. Part of the reason we chose Asbury is because it also has a relatively new memory care wing and new nursing home wing. I imagine the assisted living area was put on hold to build those, however, it now definitely needs attention. When we toured, our focus was on the residents and staff caring for them and we overlooked the worn public areas. In a perfect world, it would be nice to have both, especially considering the cost to live there.

Jennifer Hanke

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are working hard on renovations (new wood floors in the apartment wings, new walls, a restored country store, etc.) but we do have a long way to go. The building is old and we are putting in lots of hours to make it new again. We are glad you're happy with the care and the staff. We hope to have renovated common areas very soon! - Jennifer, Admissions

Highly recommended!

My mother was a resident at Asbury Gardens, and it is a treasure. It was originally a hotel, and it has a lovely courtyard, spacious lounge areas, an elegant dining room, large and comfortable rooms, and a dedicated and caring staff and administration. I was there often enough to observe every aspect of Mom's care, and I will be forever thankful that we were guided to Asbury Gardens, where Mom and all the residents were treated with dignity and kindness. If you are looking for assisted living, nursing care, or dementia care for a loved one, schedule a visit to Asbury Gardens before making a decision. I guarantee you will be impressed.

Jennifer Hanke

What a wonderful review of our services. I cannot thank you enough for your kind words; all of our staff will be delighted to hear that you were satisfied. We are so glad that we could take care of your mom! - Jennifer, Admissions

Needs To Be Upgraded

It was costly and demeaning. The place looked like it needed to be upgraded. It was delapidated, especially for that price.

Jennifer Hanke

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't have a good tour experience. We are absolutely aware of the building being outdated and needing work. I hope you'll visit again in the future and see our renovations! New wood floors, new walls, a new country store... Of course, the work is ongoing, and the lobby is going to be the biggest job. Thank you for your feedback. - Jennifer, Admissions

Great Care and Activities

They're real good. It's expensive but I don't have too much to compare it to. I like the activities. They have everything posted - they play card games, bingo, and memory games. They have exercise classes and they try to make it real fun. My brother is not able to join in so he watches. We're still hoping he will improve.

I like a lot about Ashbury Gardens. I'm glad my brother is there. They're making sure he gets down to his meals and they're giving him his meds and making sure he takes a shower. They're watching over him real good. I'm really happy with the care.

There are a couple of things that need fixing. His screen door and a piece of the cabinet are broken and we've asked them twice about that. They haven't gotten back to us yet but that's something minor.

Jennifer Hanke

Thank you for sharing your views on our community! We do a competitive analysis each year to make sure we are staying within fair price range. We also accept Medicaid for those who are eligible and who cannot afford the monthly cost. Our activities staff will be delighted to hear that you are happy with their packed calendar! I know you wrote this review over a year ago, so I hope that your maintenance issues were handled properly by now. Again, thank you for your kind words. Take care! - Jennifer, Admissions

Asbury Gardens is a retirement community dedicated to assisting seniors with daily activities. Our residents have private apartments, private bathrooms, and community access to our gorgeous courtyard & gardens. Our building's amenities make for a full day every day by including a game room, a country store, a salon, quiet sitting areas, and a spectacular solarium. Our creative activities staff ensures that each day is filled with exciting opportunities on the schedule.

We cook three delicious meals a day for each resident, offer weekly laundry & housekeeping services, daily medication management, and a constant sense of security thanks to our 24-hour staff. Our staff of Registered Nurses, Certified Nursing Assistants, rotating physicians, and health specialists provides a spectrum of wellness services to all of our residents. We also house a beautifully renovated & secure memory care program, where all of these services and more are offered.

As part of the Illinois Supportive Living Program, we are able to provide financial assistance to eligible families.

We are so proud of our culture & care at Asbury Gardens and we hope you'll join us for a tour of the community!

Asbury Gardens is a retirement community with private apartments in North Aurora, Illinois.

General City Information

North Aurora is a suburb of the Chicago metropolitan area. The population estimate as of July 1, 2016 was 17,426 residents in North Aurora.

- Walkability Score: The walk score for the Asbury Gardens retirement community is 25, indicating that most errands require a vehicle. The commute to downtown North Aurora is 11 minutes by car and 20 minutes by bus from the community.

- Average Age: The 2010 census showed the median age to be 36 years.

- Number of Senior Housing Facilities: There are four senior housing facilities located in the 60542 ZIP code, including Asbury Gardens.

- Average Weather: The average annual temperature is 50.15 degrees F, and the average annual rainfall is 37.67 inches.

- Veterans Facilities: The Aurora Veterans Outpatient Clinic is located less than 1 mile from the Asbury Gardens community.

Transportation

North Aurora has several options for public transportation, including two bus routes, three taxi services, one car service, and UberPool carpooling services. Ride shares and trains are also available in nearby Aurora for travel into Chicago.

- Buses: Pace has two bus routes that serve North Aurora: Route 802 - Aurora-Geneva via Lake and Route 524 - West Aurora.

- Trains: While there isn't a train station in North Aurora, a park and ride Metra station on Route 59 links Aurora to Chicago.

- Taxis and Car Service: Options for taxi/car service are Efficient Taxi, Urban Taxi, North Taxi, and Out & About Transportation car service.

- Ride Shares: UberPool options in North Aurora take locals to popular destinations such as Chicago O'Hare International Airport, and vanpool services offered through Pace run from Aurora to Chicago. The Aurora Township also offers a low cost curb-to-curb senior transportation system called Ride in Kane.

Health and Safety

North Aurora is a safe place to live with low crime rates and several nearby hospitals and medical centers.

- Hospitals in the area: Hospitals within 10 miles of Asbury Gardens include Presence Mercy Medical Center, Kaiser Permanente Hospital, Rush Copley Medical Center, and Copley Memorial Hospital.

- Crime Rates: On a scale from 1 (low crime) to 100, North Aurora has a score of 13 for violent crime, which is lower than the national average of 31.1. Property crime is also low, with a score of 26/100 compared to the national average of 38.1.

Sports and Leisure

Seniors can enjoy golf, tennis, swimming, or group fitness classes near Asbury Gardens.

- Golf Courses: The three golf courses in North Aurora are Valley Green, Orchard Valley, and Bliss Creek.

- Athletic Centers and Fitness: The Vaughan Athletic Center, which is within 10 minutes of Asbury Gardens, has tennis, fitness, and aquatic centers all with discounted rates for seniors. The Aurora Township also offers adult recreation programs including group aerobics four days a week.

Shopping and Entertainment

Asbury Gardens residents can enjoy shopping malls and a selection of grocery stores, restaurants and attractions.

- Clothing Shopping: Nearby clothing shopping can be done at the Chicago Premium Outlets (10 minutes), Kohls (20 minutes), or the Fox Valley Mall (20 minutes).

- Grocery Stores: A Save-A-Lot and an ALDI sitwithin 10 minutes of Asbury Gardens.

- Restaurants: Denny's, IHOP and The Olive Garden are also close by.

- Movie Theaters: Hollywood Palms Cinema is the closest movie theater to Asbury Gardens.

- Libraries: The Aurora Public Library is about a 20-minute drive away. This library also has a bookmobile housing a large collection of books and videos that makes frequent stops throughout the city and at community events.

- Salons: The Sojourn Salon, On the Edge Salon and Spa, Great Clips, and the Hair Cuttery are a few of the many nearby salons.

- Attractions: Some fun nearby attractions include the Aurora Regional Fire Museum, the Philips Park Zoo (free admission), and the Paramount Theater.

Religious Facilities

Within a short distance of Asbury Gardens is a full selection of churches, mosques and synagogues to choose from.

- Churches: Resurrection Evangelical Lutheran Church, Highpoint Church (non-denominational), Cornerstone Community Baptist, Union Congregational Church, St. Rita of Cascia Catholic Church, Westminster Presbyterian Church, and more

- Mosques: Fox Valley Muslim Community Center, Islamic Center of Naperville, Mosque Foundation

- Synagogues: Temple B'nai Israel, Shir Hadash Synagogue, Northbrook Community Synnagogue, Adat Hatikvah Messianic Synagogue, and more