Rittenhouse Village at Lehigh Valley - Allentown, PA

Zero Stars!!!

The State of PA officially revoked their license last week due to excessive inspection violations and [Removed] which resulted in loss of life when a resident in memory care went missing. This is all verifiable by looking at DHS records and searching news articles online regarding Woodland Terrace. Ironically, they are currently remodeling which certainly says so much about priorities. There is rarely a nurse on duty and call bells go unanswered for 30 minutes plus on a regular basis. They are great at marketing their product but the actual care of the residents is deplorable. The minimal staff is overworked and under trained. We are hopeful the State follows through with this decision. Management has been told repeatedly about outrageous conditions but they chose to ignore it. This goes all the way to the top which is Woodbine Group. Shameful!

Would NOT Recommend

A resident has been missing from this place for several days, which has been covered by local news agencies. There is a constant roll over of staff, problems with medication errors, unanswered call bells, unclean conditions and overall care. Residents sit in the dining room for long periods of time with no service. The care givers also serve the meals, set up and clean up the dining room, leaving no one staffing the residents' floors during this time.
Management attempts to comply with only minimum requirements and does not address issues even when brought to their attention. These residents deserve much better care!
[removed]

Would NOT Recommend

This place went under new management last year with lots of promises made for improvement. It has gone the opposite direction. Staffing is horrendous. Most times they do not meet minimum requirements and residents' needs go ignored, such as meals forgotten, broken a.c. units, filthy conditions, meds administered incorrectly. The turnover in staff was bad before but is even worse now. Upper management ignores family requests and concerns and takes no accountability for the sub par conditions. They throw great holiday parties & give great tours which is all marketing but there is much hidden behind the scenes. Dining conditions are awful. Residents sit for over an hour frequently before getting service. This is mostly due to staffing issue again because the actual caregivers come off the floor to serve the meals. The quality of the food has decreased as well. They serve the same thing over & over with a lot of pre-made food. Staff is sullen and overworked; many working double shifts on a regular basis. Such a shame as the place has a pretty setting and so much potential but they just cannot get it right, do not acknowledge the mistakes and the residents suffer the consequences. Several have moved out recently.

Not enough Experience

Woodland Terrace at The Oaks is a beautiful place. The place ended up not being a good fit for my wife. She needed more than assisted living care. The staff there did not seem to have the structure and experience to deal with the issues at hand. There were no complaints regarding the meals. It is a clean environment but not a good fit.

Well-Kept Facility

I looked into this community to explore care options for my father. Unfortunately they were not able to provide the level of care my father needed, but I had a nice tour. From what I saw everything was nice, and clean. The lobby area was very well maintained. This is a nice looking community.

Good Assisted Living Side

It is still a work in progress for my father in the memory care portion of this community. However my mother is doing wonderful in the assisted living portion. I'am pleased with my mother living in the assisted living. She gets the freedom to go to see my father whenever she wants too. The staff is very friendly, and have been helpful when needed. The meals are very good, and she has gotten involved in the activities they offer. It is a smaller community compared to others, but the assisted living portion of this community is great. I would recommend this assisted living side of this community at this moment.

Room For Improvement in This Community

It is still a work in progress for my parents with their move to this community. My parents may need more care than they are able to provide. I'am not sure if this is the right for them, and their needs. I really like the people in this community, but there is room for improvement. I'am not satisfied with the care they are providing my parents with. The administration seems to listen to my concerns, but when it comes down to the problem getting fixed, it doesn't happen. I do not want to address a problem every time I visit my parents. They do provide great activities for the residents. However my parents move to this community has not provided me with a peace of mind I hoped for.

A wonderful place for Mom to live

We had prior knowledge of this community because both my wife's parents stayed here previously. The dining room is beautiful and varied with great food choices, many rooms have good views, staff lets Mom know when meals and activities are held. The sales staff was great as are the help. First floor has all the activities and dining. Residents live mostly on the second and third floors. They even have a house dog for everyone's enjoyment. The staff has been extremely friendly and comforting. My Mom has fared better than I thought she might, mainly because everyone is so nice. Mom gets rehab and doctor visits there which is nice.

Too soon to tell, my wife has only been there a week

My wife went into Woodland Terrace at the Oaks on June 29 2017. With the holiday and mishandled paperwork from her doctor, it has been difficult to get insurance approval (no fault of Woodland).

Clean property!

Since I had moved my mother into this community I have no complaints of how things are going for her. The staff are friendly and make sure to accommodate her needs at the best of there ability. She has had no complaints about the meals and enjoys participating in activities from time to time with the other residents. Overall we are happy and would recommend it to anyone.

A good tour

This is a beautiful community. The person that took us on tour was friendly and they offer some nice amenities. This community, however was a little more expensive than what we were looking for.

An Okay Tour Overall

I had an okay tour of this community. I was not very impressed overall, and the things I read about this community online. were not very flattering. I did not feel this was going to be a good fit for my mother, and her needs.

Disappointed

My Mother was there for about maybe 2weeks and then we took her to the hospital. I was referred to Woodland Terrace by A Place for Mom Website. The place was very friendly, but we didn't get the quality care I was expecting. They forgot to take my Mother to diner. She made herself some chicken broth that night! They lost her compression stockings. Her legs we so swollen and they had her in a wheelchair instead of elevating her feet in bed. Didn't clean her up after she threw up all over herself! I was very disappointed with the care she was given and for the price! We moved her out asap! [Removed]

Not the best area!

The Woodland Terrace was a very nice community and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. The only problem was the location. It was in the middle of a very congested area and it would take me a very long time to drive to see my mother there.

Efficient help who listen to what you need.

Everyone has been very helpful. When we ask for something they respond quickly. Mom wanted some cranberry juice in the evening because she felt a bladder infection coming on. A staff person came in the room to administer pills while I was on the phone with MOM. I told Mom to ask for cranberry juice. She had a full glass within minutes. This is typical. Both my parents are residing there and they are able to stay together as a couple.

I took a tour!!

The Woodland was absolutely beautiful. The place was decorated very nice and everyone was friendly. I liked the location, it was far but I know my mother wouldn't like the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere. The thing I did not like was that all of the services were paid for individually. That would get very expensive.

Way to much!

This community is absolutely beautiful. The staff really assisted me in whatever I needed. The staff took me around so that I could see the people and the building and what they had to offer. I just felt that they were to out of my range.

Father's Care

I was happy with the care that my father is receiving here. The staff are very nice and caring to his needs. The community is always clean and maintained. The meals could use a little improvement. He likes that they allow pets here and he is happy to be able to enjoy them. I would recommend families to see this

Woodland Terrace at The Oaks gets my recommendation!

My father in law liked living at this community. The staff were friendly and they encouraged him to participate in the daily activities. The food is excellent. They had a beautiful family christmas party and the dining room is gorgeous. The community itself is clean and beautiful. This community has various rooms including a library and game room for the residents to enjoy.

Great Care

I liked this community, but my mom would of wanted a bigger room. A nice community atmosphere. High end cost. The other residents seemed very happy here. Rooms were very little. A clean community and beautiful to enjoy the outside.
The cost is a little expensive. I would suggest that families check out everything that is offered for the cost.

We like this community!

This community is in a good location for us as it is close to family. The staff are warm and know my sister by name. She is eating better. They offer a lot of activities and outings. It has been a great help that they offer Physical Therapy onsite. We did not see anything unappealing about this community and I would recommend it.

Let's take a walk!

We were able to tour this community and we did like it. We enjoyed seeing the residents being interactive with the staff. We had all of our questioned answered. The staff was very nice and knowledgeable about the community.

Terrible place filled with negligent "caretakers"

If I could give no stars, I would. The Memory care unit is understaffed, and the staff that is there is negligent with one or two exceptions (Pat is terrific). A staff member put my poor grandmother back into bed with a broken femur. We found her lying in bed in excruciating pain several hours later. She passed away shortly thereafter, luckily she did not pass away inside the urine and feces soaked walls of that place. When we went to clean out her room, the memory care staff was sitting and chatting, not paying attention to anyone and just sitting on their lazy butts. Her room smelled of urine and it looked like no one had helped her with laundry for months if not years. The people in memory care are not provided with diapers or help with hygiene. The staff doesn't ensure that people are eating. They over medicate people to the point where they can only lie in bed, helpless. Once the heat was broken and everyone was freezing, nothing was done so we purchased extra blankets for grandma which promptly went missing. They ignore residents and don't bother to help people that truly need care. One time my grandmother escaped from the building, walked to a local coffee shop and was only returned because someone at the coffee shop noticed that something was amiss. The facility had no idea she was gone, for hours. This is just a sampling of what I witnessed over a four year time period. If I had the time or energy to sue them, I would but honestly I would like to allow my grandmother to rest in peace. Bottom line- if you want to spend thousands a month for your loved one to be ignored and treated worse than a caged animal, send them here.

Mother in law

Very friendly and inviting. Food served could be more homemade not so much fillers. Lacks healthy foods like fresh vegetables and fruit. Value for services. Activities very good.

A great friendly and active community with experienced activities director and caregivers

I experienced a friendly atmosphere for my family member and others in community's
It has warmth and atmosphere. One downside is that residents must wait if they have higher level of cared due to staff cig ratio. Rehab services offered are excellent also.

Review of Woodland Terrace at The Oaks - Allentown, PA

Clean.Seemed like residents enjoyed being there. Lunch was a bit below average.Staff was impressive.

Review of Woodland Terrace at The Oaks - Allentown, PA

Clean.Seemed liked residents enjoyed being there. Lunch was a bit below average.Staff was impressive.

Wonderful service & fun activities!

The staff is very accommodating, helpful, and friendly! They seem to go out of their way to make the residents comfortable and help with their transition into new living. The activities are wonderful and the whole process has been a huge relief for our entire family.

Fine so far

Everything is going fine so far. The staff is great. The facility is always clean and orderly. Our loved one is well taken care of.

Not impressed

We toured this facility while looking into care options for a loved one. I just was not very impressed by what I saw at Woodland Terrace. The facility seems a bit run down and in need of renovations, and each time I've visited there has been a strong odor. It just wasn't somewhere I think my loved one would have enjoyed.

Mislead and disappointed :(

My loved one resides at Woodland Terrace and I visit often, almost daily. She pays quite a bit of money per month (over $[price removed]) and doesn't even require much help. She is very independent and I was mislead about their levels of care and pricing when she first moved in. I am also disappointed in the room itself and the cleanliness and upkeep of the building. Unfortunately management has not been very helpful. We are looking into further options now.

Very Good Staff

Getting her in, we needed a last minute place, and they were very good with it, very good with the payment options. The staff has been very friendly and very good. We are very happy with them at the Woodland Terrace.

A few issues to work on

We've had somewhat of a mixed experience with Woodland Terrace, but I'm trying to work with the management and I hope things will improve. The first thing noticed was that their attention to detail when it comes to housekeeping and general cleanliness could use a little work. My loved one has also told me some of the aide staff have been hostile or rude to her.

Trust vs mistrust

Our 83 year old loved one resides in the locked unit.
She suffers from panic attacks in addition to dementia.
We take her to a private MD who prescribed daily medications , and as needed (PRN) one anxiety med.
Several incidents occurred when her anxiety medication was not on the medication cart when she clearly required it.????
The techs are hard working and rushed. Actual nurses are rarely around to help supervise and implement assistance.
It is expensive , I expected what they advertised to be real.

Recommend you tour.

My mother is at Woodland Terrace. The facility has an atmosphere like home. Her studio is very spacious for her needs. The staff there are very friendly and always willing to answer your questions. There are daily activities if you choose to participate.

I was impressed with the staff. They were very informative & answered all questions. I was at ease with the surroundings. It had that homey feeling. It didn't feel sterile. The studio I was shown was a nice size. Biggest I have seen so far. Got to meet one of the nurses and the activity director. Also the dining room was very spacious. You didn't feel like you were crushed. Also liked that this facility had different levels of care. You wouldn't have to move your family member should the need arise.

Not impressed by what we saw

We toured this community when we were looking into some respite care options for a loved one. This community wasn't quite up to the standards that we were looking for, unfortunately. I just didn't think it was somewhere my loved one would be comfortable, it felt more like a nursing home than a senior community.

Communication problems with the care staff

The experience here has been a mixed bag. The facility itself is very nice, the food has been good, and the aide staff are friendly and caring. The problems we've run into have all been with the nursing staff. They have a LOT of trouble when it comes to communication, and it's been the source of more than one argument. For example, we received a call from a cardiologist about an appointment he was going into the next day, and that was the first we had ever heard about it since nobody from the facility had bothered to get in touch with us.
Overall it is a nice place, but the difficulties we've had getting things working smoothly with the nursing staff have hurt the experience.

Nice setting. Compassionate...

Nice setting. Compassionate staff with great knowledge of geriatric depression and onsite services to treat mental and physical health issues. Lots of activity for an assisted living center, seemed like a younger population. Great size apartments (400 sq ft). Really nice public spaces.

Incredibly friendly staff!

The staff here are amazing! All of the people we worked with who helped us arrange the move and get our loved one set up here were incredible! They really went above and beyond making sure that things went smoothly in accommodating our loved one's needs! The facility itself is very nice looking, and they always keep it very clean.
The one issue we've had is that while we are paying for the highest level of care for my loved one not all of the staff that assist her seem qualified for that level of care. Some of the staff are great, but with others she doesn't feel quite as safe during the movement assistance.

Very nice place, great communication

I really appreciate that the staff at this facility are so diligent about keeping in communication and getting families updates on their loved ones, it provides a lot of peace of mind. The staff are all very friendly and professional, and the care and activities they provide for the residents look very good. The facility itself is also very well kept and clean.

my choice

Racheal, and people in charge were very thorough with explanations of the facility, very helpful and compassionate with my needs.

Great atmosphere, and accommodating staff

This was our favorite community that we toured, and the one we selected in the end. The environment was very positive, the atmosphere when I walked in reminded me more of a nice hotel than an "institution". It was also the least costly option that we looked at, which was great considering how much we liked it!
It also had a few features that made it very convenient. The doctor Mom had been seeing at the hospital makes visits here, so she was able to continue that care with no transportation involved.
One complaint I have is that the activities in the memory care section are very lackluster, but that also leads to a very good experience we had. Woodland Terrace suggested to us that Mom should be moved from the memory care section to the senior living section of their own accord. It would mean less money for them, but they really had Mom's best interests in mind and could see that she wasn't happy where she was.

My loved one likes it here

I am not impressed by what I've seen here, and we've had a few issues, but my loved one likes it here and is happy. It's not a great looking place, but the nurses are very nice, and they have a good variety of activities to keep people busy. It seems like once we signed the papers their response time for concerns slowed way down. They've addressed and fixed the issues I've had concerns with, but it has not been a speedy process.

Very pleased with this community

So far we're very happy with this place! They keep it very clean and smelling nice, and the care staff are very friendly. I've noticed them being a bit short staffed when it comes to the aides, they still provide all the care they are supposed to, but they could use a few more people. They have an amazing activities director, it's one of the main reasons I chose this community. They keep them much more involved and active here than many of the communities I visited. During week days there are usually no less than 4 or 5 activities per day they can participate in, various trips, performances, happy hours, or crafts. They've got a very nice lobby area to congregate in, a TV room, a movie room, and various places to lounge. And after all of this the price was one of the lowest that I saw, since all of the care services can be purchases a la carte. I really can't think of any way they could improve, it's a wonderful place!

Very Good Place

Woodland Terrace turned out to be a very good place. Mom and Dad both went in. The facility is nice, the staff is caring. Very good. Dad has a heart problem so they don't do the activities. The food is good! I have eaten there several times.

I am happy with the community you hel...

I am happy with the community you helped me locate.The price is fair and the staff is courteous.
I will probably use the respite service again.Thank you for helping me find "Woodland Terrace"

Friendly staff. Rooms small...

Friendly staff. Rooms small. Was not clean and facility looked like it needed an upgrade/renovation (was outdated) Front pillars on outside entrance were damaged. Overall appearance didn't appear well kept (inside and out).

Nice facility which I visit...

Nice facility which I visited in The AM w/out mom. Erika gave me a tour. Seemed more geared for personal care. Rooms were smaller and the rates were somewhat higher. My mom is less interested in personal care currently.

Total Package

The staff really made this community. They are really friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. There are lots of trees on the property and the setting is like being at a State Park. The location is very convenient. It is located across the street from the hospital and it also very conveniently located for our family. Woodland Terrace was just the total package everything just seemed so perfect. We are very pleased.

Nursing care 7 to 1. Facil...

Nursing care 7 to 1. Facility pretty run down. Executive director new but enthusiastic. Only 12 men in entire bldg. pt rooms ok

Woodland Terrace at The Oaks is conveniently located in an upscale medical and professional park across from Lehigh Valley Hospital. Our residents enjoy stunning views of Lehigh Parkway and the convenience of having top-notch physicians and specialty medical practices just minutes away. At Woodland Terrace at The Oaks, you can chat over a cup of coffee in our bistro, enjoy an intimate family dinner in our private dining room or simply kick back and read a good novel in our library. You’ll meet new friends, be pampered by a dedicated staff and take advantage of a full range of services that will make your life secure and independent. Our dining experience includes delicious meals served restaurant style by our dedicated wait staff. Experience the elegance of a fine hotel through our décor and fully furnished accommodations. For those times when you would like to explore the local community, we offer generous transportation services to shopping malls, restaurants and places of worship. Come find out why so many people call Woodland Terrace at The Oaks home.

We here at Woodland Terrace at the Oaks have adopted Validation Therapy as a means to engage our memory care residents. You may say, what is “Validation?” To validate someone is to say that his or her feelings are genuine, powerful and deserve to be heard, understood and accepted. To validate someone is to show that his or her thoughts, opinions and memories are important and deserve attention and respect. To validate a disoriented older person is to do this with empathy, employing specific learned principles and techniques, assisting that person to relieve pent up emotions, express inner needs and resolve unfinished life tasks. It is our goal in our secured memory care unit provide an atmosphere that is enjoyable, relaxing, comfortable, and safe. We provide assistance with all activities of daily living, activities all day long and three meals day.

City info

With a relatively modest population size, Allentown offers a wide range of climates for their residents. There's a U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs VA Outpatient Clinic right in the city to offer veterans all the support they need, as well as numerous senior housing facilities to choose from.

-Walkability score: Allentown has a walkscore of 66 out of 100, and a transit score of 34 out of 100.

-Average age in the zip: With a population of 119,261, the median age of all residents is 32.7.

-# of senior housing facilities in the zip: There are 152 senior housing facilities in Pennsylvania and close to Allentown. Rates start at $591.00.

-Average weather info: The hot season lasts for 3.6 months and the cold season lasts for 3.2 months in this city. In the hot months, the average daily high temperature is 76 degrees Fahrenheit. During the cold season, the average daily high temperature is 47 degrees Fahrenheit.

-Veteran's facilities in the area: There's the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs VA Outpatient Clinic. There's also a Veteran's Affairs office and other independent veteran's facilities nearby to help veterans and their family apply for benefits.

Transportation

Although Allentown has a relatively decent walk score of 66, getting around the city is made easy with the numerous transportation services available. There's a large bus system, trains, taxis and ride share services available.

-Buses: LANTABus offers 14 different bus routes. Seniors ride free anytime as long as they show their yellow or blue PA Senior Travel ID or a valid Medicare card. There's also a greyhound bus station for out-of-city destinations.

-Trains: There are 3 train stations in Allentown. They are located at 325 Hamilton Street, 2919 Lehigh Street and 161 N 6th Street.

-Taxis: There are 5 taxi companies, 1 airport shuttle service and 3 limousine services.

-Ride shares: Uber and Lyft both operate in Allentown.

Health and Safety

The crime rate in Allentown is a bit higher than in many other cities. There are, however, many general hospitals, hospitals and medical facilities around to cater to all residents.

-Hospitals in the area: There are 4 general hospitals in the city. They include Lehigh Valley Hospital on South Cedar Crest Boulevarde and 17th Street, Coordinate Health Allentown and St. Luke's Allentown Hospital.

-Crime rate in the zip: There were a total of 3,747 crimes in the city, and the crime rate is 31.17 per 100,000 residents. Allentown is safer than 18% of other U.S. cities.

Sports and leisure

Stay fit and active with the many recreational facilities offered in Allentown. Play golf at one of the many golf courses available, and play tennis indoors and outdoors throughout the city. There are also many exercise groups for seniors at various gyms.

-Golf courses near by: Allentown has 3 golf courses. They include the Allentown Municipal Golf Course, Iron Lakes Golf Course and Country Club, and Lehigh Country Club. Seniors can enjoy discounts when golfing both 18-hole and 9-hole courses during the weekdays at Allentown Municipal Golf Course.

-Tennis courts/clubs near by: Play tennis at numerous tennis courts throughout the city. The Oakmont Tennis Club is perfect for professionals while there are outdoor tennis courts at Roosevelt Park and Irving Street Park.

-Gyms near by – senior friendly (aerobics): Get active at Gold's Gym, Planet Fitness and LA Fitness. All of these facilities offer a wide range of group workout sessions that are senior-friendly.

-Baseball diamonds nearby – Watch a home game at the Coca-Cola Park.

Shopping and entertainment

Be entertained easily with the numerous shopping malls, movie theaters and libraries available. Allentown has specialized libraries with research and books related to specific fields. There's also plenty of grocery stores around, and additional attractions.

-Clothes Shopping nearby: Lehigh Valley Mall, South Mall and the American Plaza Shopping Center are all places that are great for shopping. Check online to keep track of all of the deals and promotions offered at Lehigh Valley Mall.

-Grocery stores: Popular grocery stores include ALDI, King's Market, Giant Food Stores, Central CIty Market and Wegmans. All of these grocery stores offer fresh produces and great deals.

-Other restaurants: Grille 3501, The Hamilton Kitchen and Bar, and The Dime are all great fine-dining establishments. Grab a quick and cheap bite at Queens City Diner and Bethlehem Diner.

-Movie theaters: Watch 3D movies on a jumbo screen at Carmike 16 or at the AMC Center Valley 16. The New Vision Theatres Tilghman Square 8 is also a great place to catch an array of flicks.

-Libraries: There are 2 public libraries in Allentown. They include the Allentown Public Library and the Parkland Community Library. There are also specialized libraries, like the Lehigh County Law Library and the Health Sciences Library, where the latest research papers can be found.

-Attractions: Learn more about the sciences at the Da Vinci Science Center, and enjoy a thrilling day filled with amusement park rides at Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom. There are other specialty museums, like the America on Wheels Museum.

Religious facilities

Plenty places of worship are scattered across the city for all types of religions. Look online to join religious groups that are nearby.

-Religious facilities nearby: There are plenty of places of worship nearby, including the First Presbyterian Church, the Allentown Bible Church, and the Life Church. There's also a Hindu Temple Society.