Westhaven Manor - Westland, MI

Love West Haven!

I am so glad you recommended West Haven. It is a lovely place, and I really like my apartment! [Name removed] and all the staff are friendly and so helpful, and the residents couldn’t be nicer. Thank you for your help!

Very bright unit, friendly staff and residents. Wish units had washer and dryers ( laundry available). Liked the ability to purchase dinner either by the month or punch card. Seemed to be an active and engaging location!

Really nice place and very affordable. We didn’t choose this place only because of level of care mom needed. Not the best for limited mobility.

Seems to Be Working Out Well

My mom seems to be doing okay and better than the other place she was at. She is a lot closer to us and within a few miles from stores and family and it is easy for her to drive to. The community is nice and everything they charge for is a la carte. They have games and cards for the residents. They go on a lot of trips, they recently went to Turkeyville. They clean her apartment and wash her laundry once a week. It has been working out better for her becoming a resident here.

Very welcoming environment.

Our mother has adjusted beautifully to moving in to her apartment at Westhaven Manor. [Removed], leasing agent, was very accommodating and addressed all concerns. All staff is very friendly. Apartment is clean and spacious. A few suggestions: brighten halls and add complimentary coffee,tea, juices/fruit to kitchen offerings throughout day.

Would Recommend Dependent Upon Level Of Care

We were very fortunate to have a social worker from the hospital to recommend this place.and it worked out. This community tends to run more on the independent living side versus a assisted living community. There is the room rate but then any extra services you would want are additional charges such as housekeeping. laundry, Activites meal plans, medical help etc.
My wife has settled in nicely and is starting to make friends with the other residents and she has activities. They only serve dinner and at best is passable very standard American cuisine, not a good variety. The staff is very good very friendly

Nice, but not very budget friendly.

When we toured this facility, we found that it was very nice. However, my main concern was that this facility was not too budget friendly. We were also concerned that we would have had to pay extra for my loved one to receive meals.

Great place for seniors

What an amazing place for seniors!! My mom loves it at Westhaven. Thank you to the great staff for making her feel at home.

Food

Everything there is great except for the food. The dinners are not eatable 50% of the time. My mother has her meals delivered to her apartment. They come anywhere from 5-6:45. The portions are smaller than the ones that they serve in hospitals. The meals are basically the same every month. The food flavor is basically for someone one a bland diet. For almost $9.00 you would think it would be better.

My mom needs help!!!

My moms heat has gone out 8 TIMES IN THE PAST 5 WEEKS!!! They say the furnace needs to be replaced, but they refuse to replace it!!! My moms apartment is always BLOWING COLD AIR IN THE WINTER!!! She pays over $1500.00/month to live in these HORRIBLE conditions! Then when she complains, THE MANAGER YELLS AT HER AND TELLS HER NOT TO START STUFF!!! My mom is so afraid of the manager yelling at her and retaliating! I am so OVER this manager YELLING AT MY MOM FOR WANTING HER HEAT FIXED!!! There are several residents whose heat are going out, but they REFUSE to replace it! They just send their maintenance men who are NOT HVAC, they get it running and the next day it goes out again! Even Family Heating and Cooling said the furnaces were really old, and need to be updated!

Mice are in the place BAD! There are mouse droppings all over my moms apartment. Also, when I took the trash to the compactor, there was a huge rat tail moving! RUN FAR AWAY!!!

IF THE PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED SOON, I WILL BE CONTACTING THE WESTLAND BUILDING DEPARTMENT, ELDER LAW AND THE LOCAL NEWS!!!!

Happy with My Move Here

I'am very happy with my move to this community. Everyone has been very welcoming and kind. The community looks great, everything is very well-kept. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I'am very pleased with everything they have done for me.

I Am Happy

The care has been going well for me. The staff are nice and helpful and they keep the community very clean. I do not eat here but I have a stove, sink and counter space to make my meals. I also do my own cleaning, it is not included with the rent. I have recommend this place if they have the availability. Susan from A Place For Mom was very helpful, she was a jewel.

Find somewhere else

The building has a bad MICE problem.Several vacancies apartments so that should be alarming.Tenants are moving out left and right.

It's turning out to be great.

It's turning out to be great. Everyone is very friendly, the office staff is very helpful. The other residents seem to be pretty happy, and a lot of them have been there for a long time, which says a lot.

There is very little participation in the activities. the activities are poor, not enough. The Carpet is missing in three of the hallways due to a previous fire the floors are concrete and have not been swept in 2 weeks. The food is horrible. Would not recommend this place.

So far she seems to like it here.

So far she seems to like it here. She hasn't had any complaints about the food, or other residents or anything else. This was pretty comparable in price to others we looked at.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for your review. We hope she has many years with us!

It's been great so far.

It's been great so far. We haven't had any problems. No complaints about maintenance or anything at all really. They were also one of the least expensive places we looked at. It's really working out well so far. I would give them a five.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for your nice review. We really are the most affordable community in our area and we offer everything right under our roof. We have a great staff, great community and THE VERY BEST residents. We really are Westland's little gem.

Lauren Lucas

We are very satisfied so far

I can tell you that we are very satisfied so far with Westhaven Manor. It is a nice facility. It is clean. The staff here are friendly. I have no complaints about this facility so far.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for your nice review!

Friendly community with lots of amenities

The Westhaven Manor is a very friendly community I have not meet any other community where everyone is so friendly the staffing is wonderful I have so many amenities available to and get to utilize them all which is a plus for me. Marty she was very helpful and she is the head of homestead.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are very proud of our community! Residents and their families are always our best source of referrals. If you have any friends looking for a great retirement community, please share Westhaven Manor with them. We are so happy that YOU are happy with your new home.

My mom's stay

My 94 yr old mom was there for 2 yrs. she loved it. Might be going back.
Loved staff. They are kind, thoughtful and lots of patience.
Head office individuals: excellent

Lauren Lucas

Thank you so much for your review. We would be happy to have her move back with us.

Lauren

Mom's Transition

This place is has the most friendly people. They helped Mom make the tranisition from her condo to assisted living.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for your comment. We really have the best residents here!

Helpful Staff

I can not think of any improvements. They have just been helpful through the whole thing. I mean everyone has been nothing but helpful, because this is all new to me and they just got me through everything.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for your nice review. I am so glad that we were able to help you through this process.

Lauren

staff there is just wonderful

They are great at Westhaven Manor. The activities are really good. Maybe they have this and I don't know yet but I would like to see them have a meet and and greet for new residents. Mom is shy and I would like her to get out and meet people. Having something organized like that would really help. The staff there is just wonderful. Whatever we need they are always right there to help.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for giving us such a lovely review. I appreciate your suggestion and I will pass it along to our property manager. You and your Mom will find that the residents here are WONDERFUL. It really is like one big family and I know your Mom will have many friends here in no time at all.

Lauren Lucas

We are very happy with Westhaven Manor.

We are very happy with Westhaven Manor. It's beautiful! The staff is great and the location is great. The food is good, we love it! She really likes it there and it was a lot less expensive here than other places in the area we looked at.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We really strive to be the very best! Westhaven Manor really is the little tucked away gem of Westland. We are glad that your family is pleased and happy!

Lauren Lucas

Only offer 1 meal a day and Medication mgt. is $630 per month. Too expensive.

Hi,
Currently we offer dinner for our residents who wish to take a meal program. Many of our residents still enjoy cooking their own meals. We do have other options available for those who wish to have all three meals provided. At Westhaven Manor, we strive to remain the most competitively priced senior community in our area, offering choices and options that other communities do not. Thank you for taking time to submit your review. It is always appreciated.

Very nice

Everyone was so nice and very helpful. Administration was helpful... even when I wanted to come back for a second visit, the manager stayed late so I could do another walk through. Visually, everything very appealing....neat and clean. I've encountered some of the residences before and after moving my mom in and all of their replies were positive. Some of them had been there 3 months and others for 12 years. Thank you so much for your help.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for the nice compliments! We are very proud of our staff and are always striving to go the extra mile.

Better than Home!

My 83 year old uncle had previously looked at a few retirement centers on his own and was very disappointed at what he found. Thru A Place For Mom, he let me help him look again. We saw a number of places but as soon as he entered Westhaven, my uncle knew it was for him. He was attracted to the apartment style feel. The residents were very engaging and outgoing and THAT was what my uncle was really looking for.

The apartments were clean, quiet and well kept. The grounds were also well cared for, plenty of sidewalks and paths. We love how the property is nestled between a neighborhood, a park and an elementary school. The school is separated by a wide "green-belt" so you don't hear the bells or kids yelling.

Westhaven provided us with invaluable resources to help us sell my uncle's home, and move/clean out the home. Both companies were professional and patient! Lauren at Westhaven gave me support and kept in touch to make the transition as smooth as possible.

My uncle couldn't be happier!

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for your kind words! We also knew the moment we met your Uncle, that he would be a wonderful addition to our Westhaven Family.

It is always our pleasure to be of service to our residents and to their families! We look forward to many happy years with your Uncle.

Hi Kathleen,

Pleasant visit, but rooms w...

Pleasant visit, but rooms we saw were small and we did not feel it was what we needed. For example, the bathrooms were not barrier free. Dining facility is small and serves for only one hour a day.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do have a variety of different floor plans available that vary in square footage. Possibly when you visited we didn't have any available. We do offer barrier free apartments as well. Typically, our community is full, but we do have a waiting list that is available.

The reason for our smaller dining room is because many of our residents still enjoy cooking for themselves in their apartment. For those who no longer want to cook, we do offer the option of them having their dinner prepared. It is always the residents choice to eat in the dining room with others or they can have their meal delivered right to their apartment at no additional charge. This allows for a variety of options that isn't seen at other communities.

Thank you so much for your review. Please feel free to call me if I can ever be of assistance in the future.

A safe and lovely home

Mom adores her new home. She has a roomy one-bedroom apartment, so she has privacy, dignity, and some of her favorite things, while also receiving services that make her feel secure. They offer chair exercise and chair yoga classes, a beauty parlor, and a clinic. There is transportation to the store and bank, and transportation for other things can be arranged. She is new to the area, and the staff are helping her find a new doctor and other services. The thing that makes her most happy is that the other residents are so friendly and helpful, she feels at home after only a few days.

Hi Lindi,

Thank you so much for your nice review! I don't mind tooting our own horn, we are very proud of our community, our staff and especially our residents. Visitors often tell us how comfortable, warm and inviting our community is. I am so glad that your Mom is enjoying her decision to make Westhaven Manor her home. This is exactly what we strive to accomplish!

Lauren Lucas

My Mom has an appointment t...

My Mom has an appointment to sign a lease at Westhaven. It is gorgeous, the staff is friendly and helpful, the residents appear happy and welcoming. I believe that she will be very happy here.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very proud of our community. We really are the hidden gem in Westland! We hope to have many happy years with your Mom being part of our family!

So far so good

So far we've been pleased with our experience with Westhaven Manor. It's a well kept, clean community, the staff are friendly, and the services they offer have met my loved ones needs. The staff have been very easy to work with, and it was a nice smooth transition into the community for my loved one.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We are so proud of our community and it is always nice to hear that we are truly serving the needs our residents and their families. We have a great staff that we are very proud of and the BEST residents around!

It is always our pleasure to be of service to you all.

Lauren Lucas

Westhaven Manor is a great senior apartment complex!

My mother didn't want to move from her home but also knew that she couldn't stay in her home. Westhaven Manor was affordable and had great amenities. The Staff are very nice and I felt comfortable knowing my mother lived there. My mother had a difficult transition just from being stubborn and coming to grips with the loss of her home, car, and 2 children died unexpectedly after she moved in. Due to grief and loss of hearing, she didn't socialize or take part in the any activities offered. But she was "softly" encouraged to do so, never pressured. My mother did use the beauty shop and was thankful that she was able to get her hair cut and permed without leaving Westhaven. She appreciated the fact that she didn't have to bother me to take her to get her hair done. Despite her personal struggles, she told me, "this place is really perfect for me!" Thank goodness because i was feeling remorse for making her move. Not only are the staff friendly and compassionate, but the other residents are nice as well. There are nice acitivies (bingo, ice cream socials, and such), rides to local stores and banks, a little store for necessities, a beautician, a physician on staff (a couple of days per week) and a visiting podiatrist. Westhaven is a great senior apartment complex. Also my mom had a barrier free apartment. At home she couldn't bathe or shower because of the difficulty she had stepping over the tub. Her bathroom shower had no barrier, she could walk in and sit in a shower chair (or stand if she wanted.) Westhaven Manor was half the money as other senior apartments, which she could afford on her fixed income. "A Place for Mom" referred me to Westhaven and I am grateful. I was hesitant to speak with "A Place for Mom" because I was afraid that there was some small print somewhere where I would be sorry for using their services. I can't tell you how helpful "A Place for Mom" were and there wasn't any catch, no small print. They were extremely helpful to me and offered help in other ways as well. I recommend "A Place for Mom" and Westhaven Manor to anyone struggling with this type of decision. My mom wouldn't go to the ear doctor to get help for her lack of hearing but I made an appointment anyway. I knew that she would socialize if she could hear. Unfortunately my mom passed before she could make this appointment. I am an extremely critical person and so was my mother but I have nothing negative to say regarding Westhaven Manor or A Place for Mom.

Hi Kerri,

I am so pleased that you shared your experience. I am thrilled that your Mom had a great experience during her time with us. Speaking for the staff of Westhaven Manor, we strive to make our residents transition as smooth and comfortable as possible. We do understand that it can be a frightening and stressful time and we are always conscious of the fact that this is a big decision. We are so very fortunate to have a truly caring staff and the very BEST residents around. When we hear that we were able to make someone's move positive and as stress free as possible, it warms our hearts.

Thank you so much for your kind words and for allowing us to serve your Mother, as well as your family.

Lauren Lucas

Was able to see us at the last minute...

Was able to see us at the last minute on a Saturday. Very helpful.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We completely understand that there are times when a family needs to visit beyond our regular office hours. I am glad that we were able to accommodate your needs.

Great place

Everyone we met was happy and friendly the place was clean and well taken care of. The staff is helpful and friendly and even gave a name of a good mover for seniors it worked well for my uncle also a good price.

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our community. Isn't our staff wonderful?! Everyone here is dedicated to our residents and their families, and I believe it shows! This is what makes Westhaven Manor such a wonderful community, our staff and our great residents.

Lauren Lucas

Westhaven Manor apt review.

After looking at a handful of senior apartments for my aunt and grandma, this one suited their needs the best. They did not want to be forced into a meal plan. At Westhaven Manor they can opt in for occasional meals, just supper or all meals. The monthly rent for two bedroom 2 Bath is reasonable. Again they can purchase needed home care services. Very please with size of apt and appearance of the rest of the building...

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your review. Isn't it wonderful to be able to have so many options? There are a lot of communities that don't allow residents to decide what they would like and what they really don't need. We believe that it should always be a residents choice. This way they are not spending their money on services that they really don't want, need, or simply can't afford. Some residents just want an apartment, nothing else. We are happy to offer that option. Residents can add services when they decide they need them. This just makes so much sense, doesn't it?

Multi-Story Building

This one is a high rise. We liked the facility but I know my mother was not going to be okay with a multi-story facility for mobility reasons.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for your review. Our building is three stories, and we have several elevators. But we do understand that some people feel more comfortable in a one level community. I thank you for stopping by and visiting us and I hope that you were able to find a community for your mother that she feels comfortable with.

Lauren Lucas

Westhaven Manor is looking ...

Westhaven Manor is looking to be just the right mix of amenities, location and cost, relative to what my mother has been looking for in a retirement community. This has been a sigh of relief for her and the entire family.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so happy that you were pleased with all the options we have to offer.

Lauren Lucas

Absolutely beautiful and well-appoint...

Absolutely beautiful and well-appointed facility.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you! We feel the same way. We are very proud of our community.

Lauren Lucas

Very clean, very nice atmosphere. Dir...

Very clean, very nice atmosphere. Director is also very nice and willing to accommodate

Lauren Lucas

We are so glad that you took the time to write a review. Thank you for your kind words and observations!

Lauren Lucas

Nice, friendly and cozy, and clean. D...

Nice, friendly and cozy, and clean. Draw backs no lunch or dinner. No walk in shower (need to step up, not good for mom). Nice walking area.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate it so very much! We do have a variety of floor plans that do offer walk in showers as well as barrier free apartments. I'm sorry that one may not have been available when you visited. Please feel free to call me if you are still shopping for a place and I would be happy to work with you and show you all the options available.

I did tour the property, however, the...

I did tour the property, however, the apts are small for my furniture.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm sorry we were not able to accommodate you and I hope that you found a community that met your needs. Thank you for visiting!

Lauren Lucas

We were all impressed with the apartm...

We were all impressed with the apartment, the staff and planned activities. We have visited at least 7 ploaces and this is the most favorable at this point. Met a gentleman there that he knows and got good reports from him. This is one of the best places as far as cost and value.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We feel the same way! We are so very affordable and it's a great community.

Lauren Lucas

We really like this place, but we nee...

We really like this place, but we need more time.

Lauren Lucas

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We completely understand that you need to take your time. You will know better than anyone when the time is right for you and we will be here for you when you make that decision.

Lauren Lucas

Westhaven Manor is an elegant award winning retirement community designed exclusively for those of you 62 and older. As a resident of Westhaven Manor you will live in grand style in a lovely one or two bedroom apartment. We know that you will love the many advantages that Westhaven Manor has to offer as well as our many features, amenities and services on an ala carte basis. Great Services include Mini-bus transportation, 24-hour emergency response, optional housekeeping/laundry, optional meal service, guest suite, a wonderful maintenance team and professionally managed. Our Great apartments have central air, fully carpeted, blinds for all windows, plenty of closets and cabinets, designer kitchen and are sparkling clean. We have great activities with a fun activities coordinator, weekend cinema, interesting lectures, coffee hour, luncheon outings, shopping galore, bingo and parties with live entertainment and guests. Come for a tour Mon-Fri 9am-6pm & Saturday 10am-2pm.